Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Right....now send the loan players back

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

Surely we can't be excluding Omar Koroma here?

I'd prefer Arturo Lupoli, Antione Sibierski or John Hartson, myself 😂

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Norwich must surely have the worst record of getting success from loan players. Short of Skipp and Huckerby I can’t think of any that have excelled in a city shirt. I mean we even had the captain of England on loan once and he looked awful for us. 

You’ve obviously got a short memory! 

We’ve benefited massively from the loan market over recent years… 

Skipp, Gibson, Dimi, Rhodes, Harrison Reed, Gunn, Leitner, Dijks, Lita, Bertrand, Ched Evans, Fraser Forster, Russ Martin, Naughton…. 

Just to name a few….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, STAN said:

You’ve obviously got a short memory! 

We’ve benefited massively from the loan market over recent years… 

Skipp, Gibson, Dimi, Rhodes, Harrison Reed, Gunn, Leitner, Dijks, Lita, Bertrand, Ched Evans, Fraser Forster, Russ Martin, Naughton…. 

Just to name a few….

Read my post I can name lots of loans I said short of those two I can’t remember anyone else excelling. Skipp as mentioned in the post did. I stand by that none of the above mentioned excelled with the exception of FF and to a degree Russ. I know Russ was a solid pro and did us proud but wasn’t really my cup of tea when he was here as a player. Always gave his all though. 

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Unless we get a real injury crisis or there’s some clause in a loan deal Dean Smith will be bonkers to play any of our loanees again this season.

Now is the time to look at what our own players can offer.

Maybe he’s already looked and decided, not much? 

The articles coming out say Smith wants a big overhaul of players this summer, could be there’s no point playing some of our own players either because they won’t be here.

A team of loan players (who never signed for us) 1. Forster 2. Naughton 3. Bertrand 4. Taylor 5. Dijks 6. Skipp 7. Harper 8. Parker 9. Crouch 10. Rhodes 11. Reed.

(struggling to think of a 2nd CB tbh)

But could make a 25 man squad out of poor/disappointing ones.

Agree with the thread - look to the future for the rest of the season, if they won’t be here next season don’t pick them.

17 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Read my post I can name lots of loans I said short of those two I can’t remember anyone else excelling. Skipp as mentioned in the post did. I stand by that none of the above mentioned excelled with the exception of FF and to a degree Russ. I know Russ was a solid pro and did us proud but wasn’t really my cup of tea when he was here as a player. Always gave his all though. 

You said Norwich must surely have the worst record of getting success from loan players… 

Russ Martin joined us on loan from Peterborough whilst we were in League 1, he went on to gain successive promotions to the Premier League, spent 3 successive seasons in the Premier League, lifted the play off trophy at Wembley, captained the club…. the fact you only consider him a “degree” of a success says it all… 

Ched Evans and Leroy Litas goals were vital in keeping us in the Championship. 

Angus Gunn and Reed both played vital roles in Farkes first season. 

Kyle Naughton was a vital part of our defence thar see us comfortably survive in the PL under Lambert. 

Gibson and Dimi were outstanding last season, comfortably 2 of the best defenders in the Championship. 

Jordan Rhodes played 36 games in the wonderful first promotion under Farke. 

Just because these players haven’t turned into club legends like Huckerby doesn’t mean their loans were unsuccessful….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Unless we get a real injury crisis or there’s some clause in a loan deal Dean Smith will be bonkers to play any of our loanees again this season.

Now is the time to look at what our own players can offer.

I wish I had your faith. It was bonkers to drop Dimi for Williams today but he did. And it helpfully cost us both goals as well.

It'd be no less stupid for him to play Williams next Sunday too so what difference does it make?

Mercifully I won't be there to see it because my daughter is in a basketball final, and the paternal desire to go notwithstanding, U13s girls Basketball is infinitely more entertaining than watching Norwich this season.

57 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

A team of loan players (who never signed for us) 1. Forster 2. Naughton 3. Bertrand 4. Taylor 5. Dijks 6. Skipp 7. Harper 8. Parker 9. Crouch 10. Rhodes 11. Reed.

(struggling to think of a 2nd CB tbh)

But could make a 25 man squad out of poor/disappointing ones.

Agree with the thread - look to the future for the rest of the season, if they won’t be here next season don’t pick them.

2nd CB for you.... 

Rob Edwards 

29 minutes ago, STAN said:

You said Norwich must surely have the worst record of getting success from loan players… 

Russ Martin joined us on loan from Peterborough whilst we were in League 1, he went on to gain successive promotions to the Premier League, spent 3 successive seasons in the Premier League, lifted the play off trophy at Wembley, captained the club…. the fact you only consider him a “degree” of a success says it all… 

Kyle Naughton was a vital part of our defence thar see us comfortably survive in the PL under Lambert. 

Gibson and Dimi were outstanding last season, comfortably 2 of the best defenders in the Championship. 

Just because these players haven’t turned into club legends like Huckerby doesn’t mean their loans were unsuccessful….

Great Post.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, STAN said:

You can prove anything with facts. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, STAN said:

Just because I don’t agree with your assembly doesn’t mean you’re right 😂 we are allowed to like different things mate chill out. 

In my eyes Martin was a decent squad player but for my money lacked the pace to be a high level right back or the physicality to be a high level centre back. Did we progress with him here absolutely but we still couldn’t defend for toffee under lambert we just outscored teams. 

Gunn and Reid abover average players in a team that finished what 14th in the championship hardly set the world alight so no I don’t think they were a success. They filled a void that season. 

Naughton I did like. Solid player. 

Dimi and Gibson both came in under the pretence of loans but the permanent deal had already been agreed for them prior to the loan spells so I feel like even though they were on loan they were already permanent signings by default. On a side note I think Gibson is way out of his depth at prem level. Felt sorry for Dimi I rate him sadly our managers don’t seem to of liked attaching full backs this year. 

Rhodes couldn’t get in the team. almost all his appearances are 4 min cameos. Let’s face it if he was as good as you say we’d of bought him when we went up but we got Drmic instead who was woeful but one Webber thought was a better striker than Rhodes tells you everything. 

Im not expecting legend status just more like what we got from Skipp. Take for example Two of Englands forwards in Kane and Bamford both came here on loan andcouldn’t get in the side and looked awful, now they obviously had talent but something at Norwich prevented them from converting that to end product. The same can be said for the likes of Billy Gilmour who I’m sure will go on to have a great career once he is back at Chelsea. 

To be fair to Williams, he's probably been our most consistent player and sadly that tells you all you need to know about the mentality of our squad. 

If I was Dimi I'd have my bags packed ready to leave. Signed to be our permanent Premier League ready LB, then dropped after a handful of games and seldom given a chance to shine in a completely different system to our promotion season that just wasn't giving our fullbacks any freedom. 

Lungi, same thing, not given a chance even with so many other poor performers and no other natural DM in the squad. Rupp as well, yes, not a world beater but a consistent performer who was never given a chance because for some unfathomable reason McLean and Gilmour must start every game together. 

So much mismanagement this season it's almost funny now. The only positive I can take from this season is Rowe, he has a bright future (if we actually play him)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Just because I don’t agree with your assembly doesn’t mean you’re right 😂 we are allowed to like different things mate chill out. 

In my eyes Martin was a decent squad player but for my money lacked the pace to be a high level right back or the physicality to be a high level centre back. Did we progress with him here absolutely but we still couldn’t defend for toffee under lambert we just outscored teams. 

Gunn and Reid abover average players in a team that finished what 14th in the championship hardly set the world alight so no I don’t think they were a success. They filled a void that season. 

Naughton I did like. Solid player. 

Dimi and Gibson both came in under the pretence of loans but the permanent deal had already been agreed for them prior to the loan spells so I feel like even though they were on loan they were already permanent signings by default. On a side note I think Gibson is way out of his depth at prem level. Felt sorry for Dimi I rate him sadly our managers don’t seem to of liked attaching full backs this year. 

Rhodes couldn’t get in the team. almost all his appearances are 4 min cameos. Let’s face it if he was as good as you say we’d of bought him when we went up but we got Drmic instead who was woeful but one Webber thought was a better striker than Rhodes tells you everything. 

Im not expecting legend status just more like what we got from Skipp. Take for example Two of Englands forwards in Kane and Bamford both came here on loan andcouldn’t get in the side and looked awful, now they obviously had talent but something at Norwich prevented them from converting that to end product. The same can be said for the likes of Billy Gilmour who I’m sure will go on to have a great career once he is back at Chelsea. 

Of course we’re allowed to like to different things but to claim that “Norwich must surely have the worst record at getting success from loan players” is completely wrong. 

I’m not claiming that Russ Martin was a reincarnation of Dani Alves, but without out doubt he was a successful loan. 

I agree Gibson has been poor this season but as a Championship loan player he was outstanding. 

As you said, Gunn and Reed were both above average players at the time. Whilst it’s difficult to laud players in an altogether average season, I definitely wouldn’t class either of them as failures. Gunn must’ve been virtually ever present and delivered some top performances, Reed also delivered some top notch performances and if I remember correctly he successfully filled in in several different positions throughout the season. It’s unfair to rate an individual player purely based on where the the team ended up at the end of the season. 

Rhodes was kept out of the team by a free scoring Pukki, I’m not claiming he’s Lewandowski and I’m not even saying we should’ve signed him permanently, but without doubt his loan served the purpose in a Championship winning season. 

As for Harry Kane, I’m pretty sure he also had unsuccessful loans at Leicester and Millwall following his brief spell with us? Ultimately taking youngsters on loan who haven’t played real first team football will always be high risk in terms of success. He joined us at a time when he was still just a raw talent, he wasn’t England captain or a proven PL forward at the time. You win some you lose some. For every Billy Gilmour you might find an Oli Skipp, for every Duda you might get a Lansbury. 

40 minutes ago, STAN said:

Of course we’re allowed to like to different things but to claim that “Norwich must surely have the worst record at getting success from loan players” is completely wrong. 

I’m not claiming that Russ Martin was a reincarnation of Dani Alves, but without out doubt he was a successful loan. 

I agree Gibson has been poor this season but as a Championship loan player he was outstanding. 

As you said, Gunn and Reed were both above average players at the time. Whilst it’s difficult to laud players in an altogether average season, I definitely wouldn’t class either of them as failures. Gunn must’ve been virtually ever present and delivered some top performances, Reed also delivered some top notch performances and if I remember correctly he successfully filled in in several different positions throughout the season. It’s unfair to rate an individual player purely based on where the the team ended up at the end of the season. 

Rhodes was kept out of the team by a free scoring Pukki, I’m not claiming he’s Lewandowski and I’m not even saying we should’ve signed him permanently, but without doubt his loan served the purpose in a Championship winning season. 

As for Harry Kane, I’m pretty sure he also had unsuccessful loans at Leicester and Millwall following his brief spell with us? Ultimately taking youngsters on loan who haven’t played real first team football will always be high risk in terms of success. He joined us at a time when he was still just a raw talent, he wasn’t England captain or a proven PL forward at the time. You win some you lose some. For every Billy Gilmour you might find an Oli Skipp, for every Duda you might get a Lansbury. 

I like Gunn and Reed too but I would say either were a success on loan purely based on where that team finished in the league. Does make them failures it just means I don’t think any trees where pulled up by them the way say Skipp or Huckerby did when they came to the club. Let’s face it we’ve seen how much we miss Skipp this year I know it’s a higher level but our defence hasn’t particularly changed and we’ve gone from being a solid unit to a shambles with the loss of one player. 

Gilmour had looked a class act in his games for Chelsea and for Scotland so I think his failure to perform is either down to the players around him or the system not suiting him. I don’t think he plays with better players for Scotland than our squad to be fair. 

I’m not saying all loans have been a failure. I’m saying the success rate for us his very minimal. Just a lot of bang average for me. Take forest for example in the Championship almost an entire team of loans and many have performed way above expectations. 

On 01/05/2022 at 08:54, Old Shuck said:

Joseph Yobo.

It was a best of XI, thanks but I’d rather go without…

On 30/04/2022 at 16:59, canarydan23 said:

Williams should never have started today. Idiotic decision that cost us both goals.

good call for man u   see what he is about