Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Villa (PL/A) *****

Premier League Away Fixture to Aston Villa at Villa Park, 3pm(GMT) Kick off.

image.png.28edfbdcdeb5004e74e54956cce3d105.png

Videos:

Articles:
The bbc have their article up here.
The Pinkun has it's pre match press conference article here.
The club has it's match preview at canaries.co.uk here.
Villa have their own match preview article here.

Ins, Outs, Shake em all abouts:
Norwich: Idah, Omobamidele and Kabak won't be seen again this season. Zimmermann has a hip injury so is out. Rupp is back in contention as is Sargent. McLean continues to battle on with a fractured toe which requires injections, so may be touch and go.
Villa: Lucas Digne, Kortney Hause and Morgan Sanson are all out injured. Bertrand Traore back and in contention. 

Referee: John Brooks. 
Assistants: Adam Nunn, Wade Smith. 
Fourth official: Kevin Friend. 
VAR: Lee Mason. 
Assistant VAR: Harry Lennard.

A little bit of knowledge:
Aston Villa were founded in 1874, their local rivalry with Birmingham City dates back to 1879. In their 148 year history they have won the First Division (top tier) title 7 times the last of which in 1980-81 with the others all falling pre WW1. 1981-82, on the back of their league win, saw them win the European Cup (now Champions League) and the European Super Cup. The top tier feat is repeated with the FA Cup which they have also won 7 times. Once more the last time was the 1956-57 season and bar the 1919-20 season, the others were all pre WW1. They have fared a little less successful in the League Cup, their name only featuring five times on that, though all much more recently, generally speaking from the early 1960's to the mid 1990's. They have also won the Championship/Division 2 (2nd tier) 2 times and the third tier of English football once. Until their relegation to the Championship in recent years, they were one of a few select teams that had been ever-present in the Premier League.

Rays Funds for the Community Sports Foundation
City-Giving-Alex-DS-900x512.jpg.1de18c2578d74fd3fa0187267337d010.jpg
Nutty has his PUPs thread up and running as usual. Please do go and take a look and take part in all of the fun.

Something Extra:

FRk4ouHWQAAEud7?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by chicken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn't know where to put this, but wanted to point out that not only can we officially be relegated if we fail to win today.

Leeds currently 13pts ahead of us with 15pts left to play for, Burnley are 10pts ahead with the same number of points left. Everton are two places above us on 29pts but have a game in hand on the other teams in and around us.

This means even with a win, a victory for Leeds would leave them uncatchable, realistically they are safe from us catching them anyway. If Burnley win, we'd need them to lose all of their remaining fixtures and us to win all of our remaining fixtures to overtake them. Everton have a game in hand which could change the shape of things yet. Win that and they climb out of the bottom three and move a point ahead of Burnley.

In reality, we need Burnley and Everton to lose as much as we need to win. That combination is the only one that gives us a genuine fighting chance. Otherwise we are left needing both of those teams failing to pick up more than a point or two from their remaining fixtures. Very slim odds.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

I didn't know where to put this, but wanted to point out that not only can we officially be relegated if we fail to win today.

Leeds currently 13pts ahead of us with 15pts left to play for, Burnley are 10pts ahead with the same number of points left. Everton are two places above us on 29pts but have a game in hand on the other teams in and around us.

This means even with a win, a victory for Leeds would leave them uncatchable, realistically they are safe from us catching them anyway. If Burnley win, we'd need them to lose all of their remaining fixtures and us to win all of our remaining fixtures to overtake them. Everton have a game in hand which could change the shape of things yet. Win that and they climb out of the bottom three and move a point ahead of Burnley.

In reality, we need Burnley and Everton to lose as much as we need to win. That combination is the only one that gives us a genuine fighting chance. Otherwise we are left needing both of those teams failing to pick up more than a point or two from their remaining fixtures. Very slim odds.

It's over; we are not getting out of it. For that reason, I am firmly a Burnley supporter for the rest of the season. I want Everton relegated.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

It's over; we are not getting out of it. For that reason, I am firmly a Burnley supporter for the rest of the season. I want Everton relegated.

I don't. I think Burnley have suspect owners who will not spend money. Everton on the other hand, have reputation and promise as much as the spending power they will have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

"It's over" - well, yes, it would certainly seem that way, though not mathematically, yet. People have demanded we remain competitive in that regard for as long as possible, with hope we can take it into the last four fixtures. As a target at this point it's fair, if somewhat out of reach even now.

Split over that to be honest. Leeds/Everton/Burnley - not sure which I would prefer to see relegated.

Burnley perhaps because realistically they are a smaller team than us, and have struggled season upon season with pretty industrial football to stay up. Bar one season where they looked very good and got into Europe.

Everton because it'd be another of the premier league era's ever present teams to drop out, arguably a team that was recently considered as one of the top 6? Or very close to it. Perhaps them going to the wall with the massive drop down and fire sales they'd have to make might actually wake the sleepy, drunk on top whack premier league and FA to wake up and do something? Perhaps just more ammunition for the government to get involved and lay down their proposals much quicker?

Leeds - because they were going to be in Europe!!! Got very carried away (again), and could struggled again.

Edited by chicken

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

"It's over" - well, yes, it would certainly seem that way, though not mathematically, yet. People have demanded we remain competitive in that regard for as long as possible, with hope we can take it into the last four fixtures. As a target at this point it's fair, if somewhat out of reach even now.

Split over that to be honest. Leeds/Everton/Burnley - not sure which I would prefer to see relegated.

For me it's Everton. I'm not saying the name and the spending power wouldn't mean they had decent prospects, but both Burnley and Leeds probably have contingencies in place for Championship football- both having been there in the past few years.

Evertons transfer plan probably doesn't have much by way of 'fancies a season in the second tier', and I doubt most of their current squad does either.

Again, I'm not assuming that they would automatically flop, but at the very least would take some time to re-orient themselves that the others aren't as likely to need. Would be a great advantage to us.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't. I think Burnley have suspect owners who will not spend money. Everton on the other hand, have reputation and promise as much as the spending power they will have.

Everton would be absolutely screwed financially with relegation, can see them being Sunderland MkII, Burnley not much better to be honest though. 

53 minutes ago, chicken said:

…….  People have demanded we remain competitive ……..

They may demand it but we all know they won’t get it.

16 minutes ago, Budapest Canary said:

Ah, the good old days of 2005, when we had a fighting chance even on the last matchday... 

Alex Neil even took us to the last couple of games with a chance, and that squad was pretty poor.

I've said for a while that I wondered if Byram would eventually be a CB, he has a bit of pace and enough height and certainly doesn't mind a bit of a physical tussle.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I've said for a while that I wondered if Byram would eventually be a CB, he has a bit of pace and enough height and certainly doesn't mind a bit of a physical tussle.

Can't do any worse than Gibson.. Right? Not a high bar mind

So he gives minutes to Tzolis last week yet he’s not on the bench this week? Seems like Deano is losing the plot too 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Is there anyway back for Tzolis at this point?

Semi fit players are able to make the bench before him. 

When Rashica leaves he'll probably get more time in the champs.. If Rowe doesnt start ahead of him that is

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

When Rashica leaves he'll probably get more time in the champs.. If Rowe doesnt start ahead of him that is

Has it been mentioned that Rashica is leaving? 

Smith seems not to rate our Greek players at all. Any excuse to drop Giannoulis and he does, even for a player who won't be here next year while Giannoulis might. Any excuse to leave Tzolis out completely and he does. Maybe it's what he sees in training. Maybe it's because Smith hasn't got a clue. Who knows?

I think.... I think I I actually LIKE the idea of Byram as a center half... Maybe we will need to invest In a new right back in the summer instead of a CB! 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Refused to join Villa the other season as he did not want to get relegated and play in the championship

I can't see where the interest is going to come from though. Will probably go abroad then if he does leave.