Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Zimmermann/Rupp Tag Team

1 fit, 1injured. 

Next week, swap over.

Time to cut our losses on players you can't rely on being fit for longer than 4 games.

Would be madness to extend Rupps contract when it expires in the summer. Decent player on his day but can never keep himself fit or injury free 

He's a decent squad player, not even a regular nailed down champ midfielder so let him ago unless his wages are dirt cheap!

Zimbo, love him and what he stands for at our club. If he's cheap he is a decent option at CB, especially in the champ (feel like that is the main ethos of this squad) but yeah, not worth mega money

Disagree, a seasoned and proven Championship player like Rupp is the perfect squad player at this level. Let him have another year, see if he does stay relatively fit, and take it from there. Rupp did very well in the Champs last season and experience of it is absolutely essential.

I prefer him over McLean. More energetic presence in the middle of the park and a tidier passer.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Disagree, a seasoned and proven Championship player like Rupp is the perfect squad player at this level. Let him have another year, see if he does stay relatively fit, and take it from there. Rupp did very well in the Champs last season and experience of it is absolutely essential.

I prefer him over McLean. More energetic presence in the middle of the park and a tidier passer.

Agree, unless they think he’s likely to be permanently crocked I’d offer him a 2 year deal personally. He’s looked good when he’s fit.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

He started less games(15)than he was out injured for(19).

2 hours ago, Move Klose said:

He started less games(15)than he was out injured for(19).

Yeah, a decent squad player when he's played. Is he going to start every week? Of course not, but as a proven quality, seasoned pro from which the younger lads can learn plenty from, he's a super example to have around in the Championship, even if he's not quite as durable and won't start every game. We'll need the depth in there anyway. If our last season, particularly early on, didn't make that clear to everyone when we had half a nursery on the sub's bench as often as not and a midfielder playing at left-back playing that damn well we were beginning he'd nicked the gig full time.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, a decent squad player when he's played. Is he going to start every week? Of course not, but as a proven quality, seasoned pro from which the younger lads can learn plenty from, he's a super example to have around in the Championship, even if he's not quite as durable and won't start every game. We'll need the depth in there anyway. If our last season, particularly early on, didn't make that clear to everyone when we had half a nursery on the sub's bench as often as not and a midfielder playing at left-back playing that damn well we were beginning he'd nicked the gig full time.

You never know we could sign a midfielder to replace him who's available for more than half the season. 

4 hours ago, Move Klose said:

You never know we could sign a midfielder to replace him who's available for more than half the season. 

And if we get a midfielder from abroad he'll probably need more than half a season to get used to the league and how we play. Like.... Vrancic, Stiepermann, Lees-Melou, Rupp, Rashica...

I can't see why we'd keep Rupp, even as a squad player, when he's injured more often than he's fit. 

What’s the point of paying salaries to players that have a dodgy injury record? If Rupp was crucial to us I’d say the risk and reward was worth it, but this midfield needs to be reshaped in the summer and we can’t be carrying passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

And if we get a midfielder from abroad he'll probably need more than half a season to get used to the league and how we play. Like.... Vrancic, Stiepermann, Lees-Melou, Rupp, Rashica...

Why do we have to get one from abroad. And if we did that it would probably take the same amount of time to adapt as Rupp is out injured. Get rid.

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Why do we have to get one from abroad. And if we did that it would probably take the same amount of time to adapt as Rupp is out injured. Get rid.

Er, because they're usually a lot pricier here?

Why would you get rid of a player who's proven class in the league we're going to be dropping into just because he won't play every game?

I'd be happy for Zimmermann to stay as a cover due to his leadership, but considering that he's no longer under contract, I wouldn't bother keeping Rupp. It seems to be generally agreed that midfield is the area that needs the biggest restyling, and with McLean, Lees-Melou and Sorensen all likely to stay, I'd let Rupp go along with Gilmour and Normann to free up space for a couple of new faces.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Er, because they're usually a lot pricier here?

Why would you get rid of a player who's proven class in the league we're going to be dropping into just because he won't play every game?

Who's to say we dont get someone on a free. Rupp is probably on a good wage aswell, was a nominal fee and came from the bundesliga. Why would you give a player who's always injured a new contract, paying him a wage and taking up a space for someone who is available for more than 50% of a season. If there's one position in this side that needs an overhaul this summer it's midfield. No time for sentiment.

Unless Rupp is going to be first choice next season he should be released. He is at an age where there isn’t much point him hanging around as a squad player, particularly with his injury record. Better to put his wages towards someone who would be first choice. No hard feelings, thanks for all your efforts, farewell.

Zimbo - I really like the guy but I doubt he can now remain fit. Shake hands and pay him off. As back up next season Tomkinson or Famewo (if charlton don’t take up the option) would be better cheaper bets.

59 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

Unless Rupp is going to be first choice next season he should be released. He is at an age where there isn’t much point him hanging around as a squad player, particularly with his injury record. Better to put his wages towards someone who would be first choice. No hard feelings, thanks for all your efforts, farewell.

Zimbo - I really like the guy but I doubt he can now remain fit. Shake hands and pay him off. As back up next season Tomkinson or Famewo (if charlton don’t take up the option) would be better cheaper bets.

I remember an interview Klose did when he left and he talked very highly of Famewo. I can't say if he's any good, Charlton fans seem to rate him but that's at League One level. 

Wouldn't suprise me to see us bring in a new CB in the summer. Shouldn't imagine Gibson is delighted with Zimmermann and Byram both being chosen ahead of him in the last 2 lineups.

9 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Who's to say we dont get someone on a free. Rupp is probably on a good wage aswell, was a nominal fee and came from the bundesliga. Why would you give a player who's always injured a new contract, paying him a wage and taking up a space for someone who is available for more than 50% of a season. If there's one position in this side that needs an overhaul this summer it's midfield. No time for sentiment.

Who probably isn't acclimatised to the Championship - or to our team, for that matter. None of us know his wages but considering he was a nominal fee (due to a long injury layoff) I doubt his wages were going to be that high either.

Now if he wants two years and we're only willing to offer one, then that's a slightly different story. But, for the Champs, we need depth. He's a guy who's demonstrated excellence at this level.

If he's being released, there'd better be someone good coming in. Not sure the youngsters are quite ready yet.

Rupp is injured too much. There are a lot of players than can do a good job in the Championship, no point sticking to one who might not play half your games. 

I believe Rupp was offered a contract a while back but the terms weren’t to his liking (no idea if it’s length of deal or wages) so he turned it down. I’m not convinced that he is actually injured as often as we are lead to think he is…..

McClean gets criticised alot by fans and while he isn't Premier standard at least he gets stuck in and is rarely out injured, so he is overall a better bet than Rupp!

Rupp looks like he'd be a steady squad player in the Championship but his injury record makes him a waste of time, so get rid! 

Zimmerman has been a good servant but looks to be on the wane so he'd only be good as a 4th 5th choice cover, but then again he knows the club and the Championship.