Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

OSP Minutes

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

NO!

They should pay us all to go as background props for the cameras.

Someone's seen the light!

Other TV extras get paid...

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Good luck to you but many of us dont have the same level of pension that you appear to have. I was certainly much better off working than I am now as a pensioner.

I take your point Ricardo but we are now in a situation where a large proportion of younger people can't afford to go to football either. Why should less well off older people take preference over poorer young people? 

It would be good if we had a 40,000 capacity so that everyone could be looked after but we haven't and given the choice I would prioritise the fans of tomorrow 

The cynic in me says that Zoe Ward would hardly go into detail about which staff have left and their importance to the club. Because if she did, the reasons might not be flattering towards the club. 

• Like 1

Dont forget as well these numbers are before the inevitable cull that comes with relegation. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Apologies for the plagiarism. This was your original. I am delighted to recycle it.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The problem of getting youngsters into the ground doesn't seem to have been properly addressed for several years. My solution is to stop giving discounts to older fans. We would be better off in the long term giving cheap seats to young people. 

I agree with this to an extent, and I did raise the absurdity of a 'pensioner' who has benefited from various privileges in their life having a discount as opposed to a younger fan in a previous panel meeting, but then realistically how do you means test it (you can't).

49 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I agree with this to an extent, and I did raise the absurdity of a 'pensioner' who has benefited from various privileges in their life having a discount as opposed to a younger fan in a previous panel meeting, but then realistically how do you means test it (you can't).

When I first went to football in the late 60's it was very affordable to virtually everyone. Sadly that isn't the case any more. There are people who can't afford it in every age bracket. 

7 hours ago, Badger said:

?

I do wonder what on earth he's on  about  sometimes too.  Even some punctuation couldnt make that legible .

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So do most people who are walking adverts, yet footy fans pay stupid money for poorly made( for the price) jerseys that are covered in advertising. They look extra silly on people whose waist is bigger than their  chest. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Now the Boomers are reaching the discounted age bracket it us definitely time to bin it off. When is enough enough for those guys? The generation who had it all yet still want more.

Any space behind that settee, @dylanisabaddog?!

You’re right, we were all born with silver spoons in our mouths and didn’t have to save up for anything and we’ve all got million pound pensions waiting for us 🙄

27 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You’re right, we were all born with silver spoons in our mouths and didn’t have to save up for anything and we’ve all got million pound pensions waiting for us 🙄

...and so much wealthier than the average Premier League or Championship footballer.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I bet you think the discount doesn't go far enough.

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Now the Boomers are reaching the discounted age bracket it us definitely time to bin it off. When is enough enough for those guys? The generation who had it all yet still want more.

Any space behind that settee, @dylanisabaddog?!

This is becoming a convenient and untrue repeated comment on here. The idea that most pensioners are well off baby boomers is simply untrue. Discounts are offered in order to enable fans, many of whom have been loyal supporters for decades, to continue to attend. I don’t understand why the club would want to alienate this group by removing the discount which is almost universal around the country.

On the other hand what I found worrying in the minutes was the discussion on preventing under 14s from attending alone. This seems to be a very short sighted approach in terms of building a future fan base, even if it is dressed up under the all encompassing phrase ‘safeguarding.’ If young supporters are unlucky enough to have parents who aren’t interested in football how will they be able to start an attendance habit. Norwich never seem to have had a problem with such young people so why prevent them from attending. The comment about attending being like letting your children go to the pub alone as kiosks sell alcohol was frankly ridiculous. Should children under 14 not be allowed to go to supermarkets or corner shops without their parents as these premises also sell alcohol. I really hope this over the top suggestion is not implemented.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I bet you think the discount doesn't go far enough.

Doesn’t bother me Dan, and that’s not because I’ve got a massive pension waiting for me 😉

• Haha 1

Does anyone understand the paragraph in the Notes of Meeting towards the end concerning 'fan tokens.' What are they exactly?

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Does anyone understand the paragraph in the Notes of Meeting towards the end concerning 'fan tokens.' What are they exactly?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/cryptocurrency/the-future-of-sports-currency-what-are-fan-tokens-and-how-do-they-work/articleshow/88870009.cms?from=mdr

These tokens are a form of cryptocurrency. But as opposed to virtual currencies, fan tokens require making use of blockchain technology from a third party.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what this is. It's crypto, my brain melts when people start talking about it.

16 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/cryptocurrency/the-future-of-sports-currency-what-are-fan-tokens-and-how-do-they-work/articleshow/88870009.cms?from=mdr

These tokens are a form of cryptocurrency. But as opposed to virtual currencies, fan tokens require making use of blockchain technology from a third party.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what this is. It's crypto, my brain melts when people start talking about it.

Thanks. I thought it maybe something like this. Like you it is a foreign language to me. So is that paragraph. I am probably against it too.

Emily (EW) needs a pat on the back for raising some great points that represent a lot of the views I've seen written on here in the past few weeks.  So well done to that lady! 👍

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Emily (EW) needs a pat on the back for raising some great points that represent a lot of the views I've seen written on here in the past few weeks.  So well done to that lady! 👍

100 per cent with you on that one. A great expression style.

Perhaps one issue the Panel can take up in the remit review would be how issues raised are taken forward to conclusions.

The point about under 14s attendance being a clear case in point. Whilst the Club must follow regulations presumably it should also be more fan-led? Is it really necessary to introduce this restriction because other clubs are doing it? Is it all other clubs or just some?

A danger at the moment that issues are alluded to and that we hear no more until something is implemented or something is raised with a passion and nothing happens.

Also the fan token issue implies it is referring to funny money. Is it and if so what has it got to do with NCFC?

13 hours ago, Commonsense said:

This is becoming a convenient and untrue repeated comment on here. The idea that most pensioners are well off baby boomers is simply untrue. Discounts are offered in order to enable fans, many of whom have been loyal supporters for decades, to continue to attend. I don’t understand why the club would want to alienate this group by removing the discount which is almost universal around the country.

Actually, it is true. The average income of pensioners has doubled since 1995 and the number of pensioners receiving state benefits has halved over the same period. The simple fact is that pensioners are better off than ever before. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/pensioners-incomes-series-financial-year-2020-to-2021/pensioners-incomes-series-financial-year-2020-to-2021

The figures in that survey have been adjusted for inflation. 

As for the removal of the discount, my suggestion to do that is because of our small capacity. If we had a 40,000 seater stadium it wouldn't be an issue but we now have a season ticket waiting list including potential life time fans. We're going to miss out on a whole generation of supporters. I can't think of any other business that sells out its product that willingly sells a large proportion of that product for £20 when there is a queue of people prepared to pay £40. And most importantly, those people have children they want to take to the game. 

13 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Discounts are offered in order to enable fans, many of whom have been loyal supporters for decades, to continue to attend.

But its offered based on age of the ST holder, not awarded for loyalty,  as you suggest. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I think that I come into the "boomer" category (born early 1960s) and our generation have definitely had things a lot easier than the generations that followed. Just a few things:

1. For a start off, I enjoyed 5 years full-time at University where not only were my fees fully-paid but I was given a maintenance allowance to cover my living expenses. A similar student today would start life with a debt of £100,000.

2. When it came to buying houses, they were much cheaper and we were given tax relief on the mortgages we paid. In other words we were subsidised to buy a house.

3. For those that couldn't afford it there was a much bigger supply of council housing, which wasn't in those days considered "social housing."

4. During the 1980s the govt decided to give away state assets by selling them at well below market price to people who bought them, often doubling their money in a few days. (I didn't do this for political reasons). It was a several times repeated gift of thousands of pounds to people who chose to take it up.

5. We had a one-off boon of North Sea oil which was used to keep taxes down and enable us as a country to live beyond our means.

6. I am several years away from state pension age but whilst pensions may not be great for those who don't have work-related pension but state pensions are better than those of the generation before us and I sure the generation after. Many of our generation at least started in high-value work related pension until the "live now, pay later" ethos of the 80s led to a lot of private companies closing their pension schemes, having previously taken "pension holidays." 

7. Our generation has been happily polluting the planet for decades without thinking twice about the consequences for the future despite the warnings that we chose to ignore - even today, there are climate deniers who mainly come from our age group.

The post war generation has been the ultimate "live now, pay later" generation, selling assets to keep up a lifestyle we could not afford and prioritising consumption over investment. Not everybody enjoyed all of the above, and some might not have enjoyed any of it at all, but enough did to carry on voting for it (all parties) for all their adult lives. We really should accept that our generation enjoyed more advantages than either the generations that preceded us and the ones that have followed.

Sermon over, sorry.😳

Edited by Badger
Corrected grammar
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

100 per cent with you on that one. A great expression style.

Perhaps one issue the Panel can take up in the remit review would be how issues raised are taken forward to conclusions.

The point about under 14s attendance being a clear case in point. Whilst the Club must follow regulations presumably it should also be more fan-led? Is it really necessary to introduce this restriction because other clubs are doing it? Is it all other clubs or just some?

A danger at the moment that issues are alluded to and that we hear no more until something is implemented or something is raised with a passion and nothing happens.

Also the fan token issue implies it is referring to funny money. Is it and if so what has it got to do with NCFC?

If they are on about NFT's they can **** right off. None of that pyramid scheme scam nonsense at our club. Never. Would rather see us relegated to the national leauge than get involved with ponzi scam schemes such as those. All getting involved in cryptos and NFT's would do to our club is bankrupt us and get us involved with scam and con artists.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Commonsense said:

On the other hand what I found worrying in the minutes was the discussion on preventing under 14s from attending alone. This seems to be a very short sighted approach in terms of building a future fan base, even if it is dressed up under the all encompassing phrase ‘safeguarding.’ If young supporters are unlucky enough to have parents who aren’t interested in football how will they be able to start an attendance habit. Norwich never seem to have had a problem with such young people so why prevent them from attending. The comment about attending being like letting your children go to the pub alone as kiosks sell alcohol was frankly ridiculous. Should children under 14 not be allowed to go to supermarkets or corner shops without their parents as these premises also sell alcohol. I really hope this over the top suggestion is not implemented.

This was thoroughly debated in the meeting with the vast majority of the panel in agreement that preventing 14 year olds from attending alone wasn't fair, for many of the reasons you pointed out.  My opinion was that if you can go to the cinema on your own to watch a 12, then you should be able to attend a match.  The club were very happy to listen to our views on that point, but I do envisage some kind of age limit being put in place.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If they are on about NFT's they can **** right off. None of that pyramid scheme scam nonsense at our club. Never. Would rather see us relegated to the national leauge than get involved with ponzi scam schemes such as those. All getting involved in cryptos and NFT's would do to our club is bankrupt us and get us involved with scam and con artists.

It's not an NFT, it's cryptocurrency, but I think the club rightly chose not to go down that route and we had a sensible discussion on the point.

10 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

It's not an NFT, it's cryptocurrency, but I think the club rightly chose not to go down that route and we had a sensible discussion on the point.

Thanks for the clarifications on both this and the previous point. Going forward could the Minutes be clearer about the conclusions reached and the way forwards?

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Thanks for the clarifications on both this and the previous point. Going forward could the Minutes be clearer about the conclusions reached and the way forwards?

Perhaps an audio recording could be released? Or a video highlights reel? 😉

18 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

P o r n 

19 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Was anyone caught watching **** while the meeting was on ? 

Your edit button not working FF? 😛 

Edited by Greavsy