Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Cantwell Tonight

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seasons over for him with 0 assists and 0 goals.

 

And to think some once thought we could get up to 30 million for him.. Doubt we would even get a fiver nowadays. Oh well nobody to blame but himself

To be fair I don't think £30 mil was a wild valuation for a young Englishman putting in the performances he did consistently for 2 seasons (one in the PL in a very poorly performing team). 

The only wild thing about this situation has been how quickly his stock has fallen from where it was, not people overinflating his value at that time. 

I got pretty tired of his nonsense while he was here, and the move was definitely right, but seeing him continue to struggle is not good - I thought it was going to be an NCFC issue more than it was a Todd issue.

I would love it if he came back now and got back to the levels we know he is capable of, perhaps Stuart Webber leaving might up some new pathways back at NCFC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

image.png.0d3b950f15ea9709b0943406e1df527a.png

 

Some interesting comments on here too

 

 

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

TC had a personal falling out with Farke and the club backed Farke as they should, once Smith came in Cantwell was given another chance but didn't get on with Smith either hence the loan to Bournemouth. If you're giving your all for the club then they will accept most personal disagreements (even with the manager) as long as the team isn't affected, Cantwell didn't do that and clearly hasn't impressed Scott Parker so you have to wonder if he really has the mental strength/resolve to be a top footballer. 

Sounds all a bit like conjecture to me.

I'm not Cantwell's biggest fan, and it wouldn't surprise me if Cantwell and Farke had a sometimes tumultuous relationship, but Dean Smith consistently said that he had no problem with Cantwell. 

If anything you've missed out the more likely of relationship breakdowns, which would be Cantwell and Webber following the latters comments when Cantwell stayed on the pitch that time.

Agree completely about the mental strength thing though, seems way too thin skinned and sensitive, perhaps he'd enjoy football more if it was a level he could excel in, with a limited fan base on social media, look at Ian Henderson becoming a League One and Rochdale legend. He had Championship level talent, but could only thrive as a big fish in a small pond.

Otherwise, he could try America where soccer is like 8th in the pecking order of sports anybody gives a sh*t about, he'll soon be grateful to be recognised and that might humble him a bit.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sounds all a bit like conjecture to me.

I'm not Cantwell's biggest fan, and it wouldn't surprise me if Cantwell and Farke had a sometimes tumultuous relationship, but Dean Smith consistently said that he had no problem with Cantwell. 

If anything you've missed out the more likely of relationship breakdowns, which would be Cantwell and Webber following the latters comments when Cantwell stayed on the pitch that time.

Agree completely about the mental strength thing though, seems way too thin skinned and sensitive, perhaps he'd enjoy football more if it was a level he could excel in, with a limited fan base on social media, look at Ian Henderson becoming a League One and Rochdale legend. He had Championship level talent, but could only thrive as a big fish in a small pond.

Otherwise, he could try America where soccer is like 8th in the pecking order of sports anybody gives a sh*t about, he'll soon be grateful to be recognised and that might humble him a bit.

problem with life as a pro footballer if you like the limelight the money and social media

you have to deal with the flak and the bad times 

it all started going wrong with Todd on social media when he was saying the complete opposite to what the club / manager was saying in the press 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2022 at 20:09, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seasons over for him with 0 assists and 0 goals.

 

And to think some once thought we could get up to 30 million for him.. Doubt we would even get a fiver nowadays. Oh well nobody to blame but himself

If what I'm hearing was correct then it wasn't his fault and he wasn't to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

To be fair I don't think £30 mil was a wild valuation for a young Englishman putting in the performances he did consistently for 2 seasons (one in the PL in a very poorly performing team). 

The only wild thing about this situation has been how quickly his stock has fallen from where it was, not people overinflating his value at that time. 

I got pretty tired of his nonsense while he was here, and the move was definitely right, but seeing him continue to struggle is not good - I thought it was going to be an NCFC issue more than it was a Todd issue.

I would love it if he came back now and got back to the levels we know he is capable of, perhaps Stuart Webber leaving might up some new pathways back at NCFC?

Going to massively refute this. He was not remotely consistent in the PL that year, had a very good start/first 3rd but then tailed off and since January created, contributed and scored basically nothing. DF pointed this out in the press when TC allegedly went a bit Toddy Big Chops and DF was asked why he had dropped him. Came back into the fold and did fine, not great, just fine. Imo was made to look more impressive due to the work of Emi, who whenever was absent from the team we basically lost, even with Todd playing. 

I’ve definitely got my view and am a bit careful not to try and destroy the guy, because ultimately he is just a young lad who has grown up in a small town and been the best they’ve seen there for a long time which I suspect massaged his ego, thrown into an academy system where your every day life is done for you and you’re given the impression you’re the next Messi (or Deco) and then you have a couple of good games and the media, people like Adrian click bait Durham, make some massive claims about you being exactly what Arsenal need instead of Ozil etc. the lad just seemed to either believe the hype, in which case those around him needed to do better to ground him, or he is and has been consistent in underperforming for about 2 and a half years. He is young (ish in footballing terms) and still may yet make something happen he wants, which if congratulate him on. That said the risk to us is not worth having to carry him and pay him as honestly I feel we are far bigger than the standard he offers to us - and I don’t think our standard is really that high.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tea total said:

If what I'm hearing was correct then it wasn't his fault and he wasn't to blame.

i do not know the reason and you might well be right but i do not think he help matters on Social Media 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory isn't great these days but wasn't the reason we loaned him out to fortuna sittard because he had a bad attitude and it was felt it would help him mature quickly which to be fair it seemed to do.

We have all seen how good he can be, maybe inconsistent but at the moment everyone loses out and its a shame because he has real quality which is one thing we severely lack.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

My memory isn't great these days but wasn't the reason we loaned him out to fortuna sittard because he had a bad attitude and it was felt it would help him mature quickly which to be fair it seemed to do.

We have all seen how good he can be, maybe inconsistent but at the moment everyone loses out and its a shame because he has real quality which is one thing we severely lack.

 

it is a shame because we have missed out on a player who could play in the PL 

i honestly thought this was a going to be a really good season for him and he might get a real big move after 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tea total said:

If what I'm hearing was correct then it wasn't his fault and he wasn't to blame.

Is he a Scouser? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Going to massively refute this. He was not remotely consistent in the PL that year, had a very good start/first 3rd but then tailed off and since January created, contributed and scored basically nothing. DF pointed this out in the press when TC allegedly went a bit Toddy Big Chops and DF was asked why he had dropped him. Came back into the fold and did fine, not great, just fine. Imo was made to look more impressive due to the work of Emi, who whenever was absent from the team we basically lost, even with Todd playing. 

I’ve definitely got my view and am a bit careful not to try and destroy the guy, because ultimately he is just a young lad who has grown up in a small town and been the best they’ve seen there for a long time which I suspect massaged his ego, thrown into an academy system where your every day life is done for you and you’re given the impression you’re the next Messi (or Deco) and then you have a couple of good games and the media, people like Adrian click bait Durham, make some massive claims about you being exactly what Arsenal need instead of Ozil etc. the lad just seemed to either believe the hype, in which case those around him needed to do better to ground him, or he is and has been consistent in underperforming for about 2 and a half years. He is young (ish in footballing terms) and still may yet make something happen he wants, which if congratulate him on. That said the risk to us is not worth having to carry him and pay him as honestly I feel we are far bigger than the standard he offers to us - and I don’t think our standard is really that high.

I mean yes his season did tail off but whose didn’t in a season where we ended up losing the last 10 games and scoring just one goal. He was still one of our most consistent attacking performers, went from being a fringe playing to a regular start with a flick of a switch. No one would’ve complained had he been loaned out before 19/20 started! And then last year in the champs took a little while to get going and struggled in the early phases of the season (who knows how much of that was legitimate injuries and how much his own nonsense) but then came in and again was comfortably our second best attacking midfielder once again. So it’s only this season he’s really dropped off, not the last 2.5 seasons.

I don’t disagree with your comments around his ego - he’s clearly got a bit of an issue. I’m hopeful this Bournemouth experience could be the **** kick he needs. Would be a huge asset to us next year if we could get him back IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tea total said:

If what I'm hearing was correct then it wasn't his fault and he wasn't to blame.

So what precisely were you hearing then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

So what precisely were you hearing then ?

Top 10 Cleon GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

"IT WAS THE WARRIORS.....THE WARRIORS DID IT!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Top 10 Cleon GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

"IT WAS THE WARRIORS.....THE WARRIORS DID IT!"

Warriors, come out to pla-ay

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Cantwell played in the Academy, all the academy boys had to take lessons at Easton and Ottley College in Colney. At the end of term there was an English exam for a bunch of students, including the academy players. The exam invigilators told all the students to close and put away their mobile phones before the exam could begin. All except one student complied, a certain Todd Cantwell.

When the exam invigilator asked why he had not put away his phone, Cantwell replied that he had to have his phone open and to hand at all times because his agent might call. The invigilator pointed out that he could not take the exam unless he complied with the rules. It took several minutes of arguing backwards and forwards, holding up the rest of the students before Cantwell would agree to close his phone and put it away.

Even during his academy days, Cantwell was acting the entitled d*** h*** and not much has changed since. BTW, the Murphy twins were part of this same group and were perfectly well behaved during their time at the college. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, C.I.D said:

So what precisely were you hearing then ?

Like everyone else he had/has his problems...He's human. Tyson Fury also had issues but look at him now! Give the lad a chance instead of knocking him. (Why not go and pick on Tyson Fury?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tea total said:

Like everyone else he had/has his problems...He's human. Tyson Fury also had issues but look at him now! Give the lad a chance instead of knocking him. (Why not go and pick on Tyson Fury?)

The persecution of Todd Cantwell on here and elsewhere is pitiful and based on so much much speculation, and so little fact.

Whether we as a club attract profoundly unsatisfied people, or whether all clubs have such people is up for debate. But it's as if people celebrate his failures and his anguish. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it persecution or frustration? Watching a talented local lad fall from being worth tens of millions to relative peanuts in the space of a year or so is going to lead to speculation which is made worse by the constant cryptic social media posts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DraytonBoy said:

Is it persecution or frustration? Watching a talented local lad fall from being worth tens of millions to relative peanuts in the space of a year or so is going to lead to speculation which is made worse by the constant cryptic social media posts.  

Feels like persecution on here, but of course that is only from the same half dozen posters. 
 

he has obviously had his problems so may need help, I want to see him back to his best and playing for us

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at the Championship celebrations at Villa Park - only one player put his shirt on back to front so that his name was on the front and not the team badge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tea total said:

Like everyone else he had/has his problems...He's human. Tyson Fury also had issues but look at him now! Give the lad a chance instead of knocking him. (Why not go and pick on Tyson Fury?)

You've failed to answer  the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FCC said:

Looking back at the Championship celebrations at Villa Park - only one player put his shirt on back to front so that his name was on the front and not the team badge. 

I’ve seen loads of players do this over the years, from World Cup finals to Champions League finals. Try finding another stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An observation - not a stick.  He was the only member of that squad to do it.  I can’t imagine any fan not wanting to see him desperate to play for Norwich, and giving 100% for the club.  The question is, does he?

Only he knows his view of any issues.  If he pulls a Norwich shirt on again, I’ve no grudge and will back him as I would any other player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Top 10 Cleon GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

"IT WAS THE WARRIORS.....THE WARRIORS DID IT!"

That film is still worth watching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 26/04/2022 at 19:19, Move Klose said:

That's 3 managers this season that have left him out of a match day squad. Common denominator

Yet you still think another manager will urge his club to stump up £5m for him?

We might get a nominal fee, otherwise he floats around our squad next season and eventually leaves on a free.

It would be interesting to know what wage he will get for his contract extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In life there are two ways to learn lessons. The easy way and the hard way.

It seems Mr. Cantwell will not learn the easy way so now he must come to terms that he must learn the hard way.

This does not mean he will not learn, it just means it will take some people a long time to accept him, even if he does learn the hard way.

I hope he does, because there is a good footballer there somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

When Cantwell played in the Academy, all the academy boys had to take lessons at Easton and Ottley College in Colney. At the end of term there was an English exam for a bunch of students, including the academy players. The exam invigilators told all the students to close and put away their mobile phones before the exam could begin. All except one student complied, a certain Todd Cantwell.

When the exam invigilator asked why he had not put away his phone, Cantwell replied that he had to have his phone open and to hand at all times because his agent might call. The invigilator pointed out that he could not take the exam unless he complied with the rules. It took several minutes of arguing backwards and forwards, holding up the rest of the students before Cantwell would agree to close his phone and put it away.

Even during his academy days, Cantwell was acting the entitled d*** h*** and not much has changed since. BTW, the Murphy twins were part of this same group and were perfectly well behaved during their time at the college. 

Also what people have to remember when we went up to watch my Nephew play in the same team as Todd for the 1st time 

was that boy Cantwell is going to be the next big thing 

next 20million pound player

next star at Norwich 

Norwich have their hopes pinned on him etc 

All when he was 13 / 14 years old !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You've failed to answer  the question.

The answer is that I'm led to believe that he had other issues away from football. Basically I'm not going to talk about other people's problems. So the answer is he had issues away from football! The rest is none of our business 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Warriors, come out to pla-ay

Respect for anyone who ever quotes warriors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

That film is still worth watching 

HURTINBOMBS — Hurtinbombs' 50 Great action movie quotes

Ajax quote to the 'Baseball Fury'...."I'll shove that bat up your **** and turn you into a popsicle.".....

Edited by Mello Yello
**** = A$$
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...