Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Must Keep McLean

We will need a big squad of midfielders. Kenny can be part of that as must Sorensen.

Really don't see him as a DM though. He's better for us when he pushes forward.

If we get an offer for him that meets our valuation then he's one I'd be looking to move on tbh.

42 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

West Ham were never interested in him. That was just paper talk.

I get that you saying that suits your argument but it doesn't really make it true.

He’ll be a decent player in the Championship. However, the fact that he’s probably our best midfielder in the Premier League is one of the reasons why we’re bottom of the league.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

He'd be absolutely terrible at this role.

His biggest issue is his positional discipline is largely non-existent and he chases the ball like a headless chicken at times. He's also lacking much physicality and stronger players can often brush past him without much of an issue. 

Re his positional discipline it's a bit mean to assume that he can't do this when he's been playing as a box-to-box or attacking midfielder. He's an experienced pro - I'm sure if he was told never to advance beyond a certain point or given specific tactical instructions, he could adjust.

I also think that that he is quite a good player physically as well. I know from my own incredibly low level of Sunday league football of decades ago (Yes a massive qualification, I acknowledge 🙂) that it's a lot easier if you are deep and a player is having to run at you to beat you than if you are having to turn and run back from a forward position.: the body shape is completely different. Physically, I think he is one of our stronger players - which partly explains why he is picked so often - it's not really for his outstanding technical ability is it?

You could be correct, who knows?

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think a CDM has something different in his psyche. Quite happy to sit and do a job while letting the others get the plaudits. I still think Ollie deserved POTS as much as Emi.

I just don't think Kenny has that attribute.

Yet we are told by the expert commentators on Canary Call that he is a "player's player."

Re CDM, I thought a quantitative analysis might be useful although made harder by the fact that KM has played 50% more games and MT has played deeper.

KM's defensive stats look quite good compared to MT for pass interceptions and tackles but not as good for blocks. His 50th position for interceptions and 36th for tackles is not bad considering this includes both defenders and midfielders.

https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-players/kenny-mclean-vs-mathias-antonsen-normann

image.png.973c0ea13df2a7d4e4e8848cb60a2834.png

1 minute ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nor you...

No, but I have a story claiming interest at least, that went public. Unless you have one denying the interest then I'm still one-up 🙂 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Fulham have used Harrison Reed in the role this year and tbh, I think McLean is better suited to it. Again, I know a lot of McLean haters will disagree.

I like McLean and he would be an asset next year but suspect he'll go to a Rangers type club in the summer.

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yet we are told by the expert commentators on Canary Call that he is a "player's player."

Yes, both Eadie and Lappin were clear that he'd be in their team week in week out.

Also those who have spoken to other players in the squad, will know they are very much big fans of Kenny.

Finally, you've got two experienced managers and their coaching team who have selected him pretty continuously.

Yet there's still the same posters on here sniping at him pretty disrepectfully in some cases, believing they most definitely know better 🙂

Edited by hogesar

Please sell him. He is a jack of all trades but definitely master of nothing. We need to keep Sorensen , Rupp and PLM and get in at least one other. Sorensen is the only natural DM we have so of course we never play him!!. McLean cannot fill that role.

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, but I have a story claiming interest at least, that went public. Unless you have one denying the interest then I'm still one-up 🙂 

I have numerous stories of our model and examples of where we've sold players for profit to teams higher up the pyramid. McLean is still here. 1-1. 

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

I have numerous stories of our model and examples of where we've sold players for profit to teams higher up the pyramid. McLean is still here. 1-1. 

Not what I asked for. I didn't ask for evidence we've sold other players. I've asked for evidence that the West Ham story was made up (for what reason, I wouldn't know, there's no real intrinsic link there).

It's still 1-0

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not what I asked for. I didn't ask for evidence we've sold other players. I've asked for evidence that the West Ham story was made up (for what reason, I wouldn't know, there's no real intrinsic link there).

It's still 1-0

I can pick hundreds of transfer rumours from the papers down the years the vast majority have no basis in fact.... but yes, Kenny McLean to an established PL team at 28 years old, having been relegated in his one PL season, finishing bottom, for £10m, that didn't actually happen and still hasn't actually happened for a team reknowned for selling their players was definitely one of the true ones. 🤪

You have some very odd views on all things NCFC.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

8 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I can pick hundreds of transfer rumours from the papers down the years the vast majority have no basis in fact.... but yes, Kenny McLean to an established PL team at 28 years old, having been relegated in his one PL season, finishing bottom, for £10m, that didn't actually happen and still hasn't actually happened for a team reknowned for selling their players was definitely one of the true ones. 🤪

You have some very odd views on all things NCFC.

The West Ham link wasn't even that relevant in the overall point that Kenny wouldn't have trouble finding a club in the same division as us next season,  he's pretty proven at championship level.

Id love to know the other "very odd views" but I'm not sure its worth it...

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The West Ham link wasn't even that relevant in the overall point that Kenny wouldn't have trouble finding a club in the same division as us next season,  he's pretty proven at championship level.

Id love to know the other "very odd views" but I'm not sure its worth it...

We weren't talking about the overall point - we were talking about the cast-iron West Ham link from The Sun that you 100% believe. 

It's not worth it but next time I see one I'll tell you.

i would sell but i do understand others who want him to stay 

he will do a job in the champs and that is where we are going to be next season i totally get that 

it sounds so easy and we all know it is not i would rebuild the midfield by selling him

in a ideal world Buy younger faster more physical players

that will have time to gel so if and when we get up we do not play like total strangers in midfield 

he Annoys me with his arm waving and moaning etc if i was playing in a team with him it really would not motivate me at all 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Re his positional discipline it's a bit mean to assume that he can't do this when he's been playing as a box-to-box or attacking midfielder. He's an experienced pro - I'm sure if he was told never to advance beyond a certain point or given specific tactical instructions, he could adjust.

I also think that that he is quite a good player physically as well. I know from my own incredibly low level of Sunday league football of decades ago (Yes a massive qualification, I acknowledge 🙂) that it's a lot easier if you are deep and a player is having to run at you to beat you than if you are having to turn and run back from a forward position.: the body shape is completely different. Physically, I think he is one of our stronger players - which partly explains why he is picked so often - it's not really for his outstanding technical ability is it?

You could be correct, who knows?

Positional discipline isn't a simple skill though- if it was then any midfielder could fill a holding role. You're right maybe he has previously untapped ability here but the fact he's 30 and never been used in a role like this suggests maybe not. 

7 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

We weren't talking about the overall point - we were talking about the cast-iron West Ham link from The Sun that you 100% believe. 

It's not worth it but next time I see one I'll tell you.

*sigh*

Read the thread, my post about the West Ham link was purely an example about my overall point that I think he wouldn't have a problem finding a club, in response to Midlands questioning who would buy him. 

The West Ham link I have no idea how thorough it was, but it generated a sun exclusive story. There wasn't the same about Sorensen, for example. So its more than nothing. 

In response to the article you stated pretty much as a fact that it was rubbish. You've provided no evidence to back that up, so you should have said "in my opinion, I doubt they were seriously interested" which would have been more than fair.

The problem with Kenny as a defensive midfielder (and a key weakness in terms of his regular duties) is that he's very easily drawn into charging out chasing the ball. 

I'd keep him for the coming season but I'd also be spending most of our budget on Damien Francis -style rangey CMs

• Like 1

I would be keeping him. Too limited for the Premier league but plenty good enough for the championship. I suspect he is one if the few leaders we have within the playing staff and he obviously cares about the club, which is more than a lot of our players 

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Our only central midfield options are Sorenson, McLean, PLM and Rupp (contract expires at the end of this season).

PLM may want to go back to France, so I can't see us getting rid of Kenny.

Bit of a weird consideration.

Sorenson may want to go back to Denmark, McLean may want to go back to Scotland, Rupp may want to go back to Germany.

Why is it only PLM who may want to go home?

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

*sigh*

Read the thread, my post about the West Ham link was purely an example about my overall point that I think he wouldn't have a problem finding a club, in response to Midlands questioning who would buy him. 

The West Ham link I have no idea how thorough it was, but it generated a sun exclusive story. There wasn't the same about Sorensen, for example. So its more than nothing. 

In response to the article you stated pretty much as a fact that it was rubbish. You've provided no evidence to back that up, so you should have said "in my opinion, I doubt they were seriously interested" which would have been more than fair.

I will start all responses with 'in my opinion' then as I have spouted loads of opinions on here without documentary evidence to back them up. I thought that was what forums were for.

I find it odd that you wont just admit that the story was more than likely a load of tosh and that it does not mean anything as it never actually happened. It doesn't make you thick or a bad person that you quoted something as tenuous as a rumour in The Sun from 18 months ago to back up an opinion on a player that conflicts with many other fans' opinions. Own it man!

Of course he will find a club, he's not that bad where he will have to retire coz we want him out, but I will have my mortgage on it that it won't be a club that finishes in West Ham's league position or above despite their undoubted heavy interest back in 2020.

30 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I would be keeping him. Too limited for the Premier league but plenty good enough for the championship. I suspect he is one if the few leaders we have within the playing staff and he obviously cares about the club, which is more than a lot of our players 

Yeah there is no need to get rid at this point. We just need to be focusing on upgrading central midfield in general but Kenny is a fine player in the Championship, probably an OK squad player in the Premier League. It shouldn't be impossible to upgrade on him though. 

25 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I will start all responses with 'in my opinion' then as I have spouted loads of opinions on here without documentary evidence to back them up. I thought that was what forums were for.

I find it odd that you wont just admit that the story was more than likely a load of tosh and that it does not mean anything as it never actually happened. It doesn't make you thick or a bad person that you quoted something as tenuous as a rumour in The Sun from 18 months ago to back up an opinion on a player that conflicts with many other fans' opinions. Own it man!

Of course he will find a club, he's not that bad where he will have to retire coz we want him out, but I will have my mortgage on it that it won't be a club that finishes in West Ham's league position or above despite their undoubted heavy interest back in 2020.

I agree it wouldn't be anyone in West Ham's position.

Again, that wasn't the point I was making. I never said he'd go to a West Ham right now. It was just for all the flack he gets on here it seems weird there'd be a Sun exclusive linking him to an established Premier League team, on top of all the other evidence that goes against those who think he's rubbish, i.e the concurrent managers and coaching teams that pick him continuously, the ex-pros who say they'd have him in the starting 11 every week and his current teammates.

I didn't even know it was a Sun rumour or link, Midlands confirmed that. I just remember there being interest in him from West Ham at some point.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree it wouldn't be anyone in West Ham's position.

Again, that wasn't the point I was making. I never said he'd go to a West Ham right now. It was just for all the flack he gets on here it seems weird there'd be a Sun exclusive linking him to an established Premier League team, on top of all the other evidence that goes against those who think he's rubbish, i.e the concurrent managers and coaching teams that pick him continuously, the ex-pros who say they'd have him in the starting 11 every week and his current teammates.

I didn't even know it was a Sun rumour or link, Midlands confirmed that. I just remember there being interest in him from West Ham at some point.

You keep saying Sun 'Exclusive' like the word 'Exclusive' gives it more credence! It never happened! He's still here! Why do you have such belief in it?!

Ryan Jarvis will have no problems when he leaves Lowestoft Town, Man Utd were interested a few years ago.

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

You keep saying Sun 'Exclusive' like the word 'Exclusive' gives it more credence! It never happened! He's still here! Why do you have such belief in it?!

Ryan Jarvis will have no problems when he leaves Lowestoft Town, Man Utd were interested a few years ago.

You're the one who's weirdly still focused on this Sun thing. It's a very minor aspect of an overall point, I don't get why it's triggered you so badly.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You're the one who's weirdly still focused on this Sun thing. It's a very minor aspect of an overall point, I don't get why it's triggered you so badly.

That was what I originally responded to and what you argued back about. It's your unwillingness to accept that it's less than reliable to say the least which is why I keep going on. You still won't admit it! Whether you rate him or not, is not what started our exchange. The West Ham thing was. I'll say it again, it was just paper talk and there was no concrete interest at all. Do you dispute that?