Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Too many average players

Yes, we have a strength in depth, but it is an average strength. 

We need better players. We have too many players who are not going to improve sufficiently enough to take the club to the next level, and we do not have enough who are already there.

Of all the players who have been in the first team squads recently, or who have picked up injuries, I would only want to keep Krul, Hanley, Pukki, Omobamidele, Idah and Rowe.

I would be quite happy to move any of the remainder on if the price was right.

From the fees received I would hope we could get better replacements. 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

'We need better players'

Shocking revelation 

Your reply was so quick, was that the only bit you read?

3 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

We need better players. We have too many players who are not going to improve sufficiently enough to take the club to the next level, and we do not have enough who are already there.

Of all the players who have been in the first team squads recently, or who have picked up injuries, I would only want to keep Krul, Hanley, Pukki, Omobamidele, Idah and Rowe.

The trouble is that the "dead certs" won't come to a newly-promoted club, let alone a championship team. 

We have to buy unpolished diamonds and hope that we can turn them into real gems.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Badger said:

The trouble is that the "dead certs" won't come to a newly-promoted club, let alone a championship team. 

We have to buy unpolished diamonds and hope that we can turn them into real gems.

But that seems to be the problem.  Of the six players mentioned, three are home grown and the other three have been with us for a while.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

But that seems to be the problem.  

Sorry I'm probably being obtuse but I'm not sure what you mean by "that."

We don't even buy rough diamonds. We borrow plastic Alice bands 😉

There's a bit of deadwood building up now. Squad needs an overhaul imo, especially midfield.

23 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

And to think people think Hernandez and Hugill can come back and do a job. The same 2 players who hardly got a look I'm last time we were in the championship.

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sorry I'm probably being obtuse but I'm not sure what you mean by "that."

Sorry, I meant that, as you said, we need to buy rough diamonds and polish them. 

None of our last season's rough diamonds will polish up too well. And we have bought older, average players who, again, are not going to improve.

Leaving us with too many average players. 

18 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Sorry, I meant that, as you said, we need to buy rough diamonds and polish them. 

None of our last season's rough diamonds will polish up too well. And we have bought older, average players who, again, are not going to improve.

Leaving us with too many average players. 

It is not just our problem: it goes with the status of being newly-promoted. Sheffield Utd paid about £50 million for three strikers in the Premier League - McBurnie and Rhian Brewster, cost c over £40 million are in the rough diamond category, Lys Mousset was more of an older established category (not that old but had EPL experience). Should add that they will probably cost a further 30 million in wages. That's what £80 million buys you!

They have scored eight goals in the championship between them! Billy Sharp, 36 years old who they have had since 2015 has scored 15 goals.

Fulham, for all the wealth of their owner, have not been able to attract players of a high enough calibre to keep them up yet. Good players at EPL standard have better options than a newly-promoted club - so you have to gamble on potential.

• Like 4

Truth is the only Premier League quality we have is in Pukki and Krul, everything in-between is lacking. Even Aaron's hasn't been in great form this season. We wasted so much money on buying young future talent when we should have focused on replacing Skipp and Tettey before even thinking about buying anyone else. We sold Buendia to boost our finances and replaced him with Rashica, but still haven't replaced our defensive side of the midfield whatsoever. If the recruitment's answer to the problem was signing Gilmour then we absolutely deserve to go down based on that alone! Never in a million years a DM that is ready to help beat relegation. 

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Sorry I'm probably being obtuse but I'm not sure what you mean by "that.'

'that' is a question for meatloaf surely