Sign in to follow this  
CrankyCanary

Would a fan takeover be realistic?

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sell everything. Buy gold. 

I have been reducing my risk profile for months, but imo its impossible to "time" the market as you miss the recovery. They have loads of articles about this in the Investors Chronicle (but the doubt always exists that they could be wrong this time 😣).

6 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

What Norwich fan in their right mind would allow themselves to be pictured with an Ipswich scarf / rosette on may I ask? If memory serves me correctly, said incident was several years after 'the late 60's. 

Is your name Darren? Because if so this has been answered before...

Darren
Why don't you sell the Club and let someone who actually really supports the Club take over rather than someone from Suffolk who was pictured in 1978 wearing an Ipswich scarf at a cup final at Wembley?

Delia Smith
Hi Darren, yawn yawn! We've said it before but let's just trot it out one more time I was NOT at Wembley! I was working for Multi-coloured Swap Shop and the joke was my rosette and hat were turned round to reveal the Norwich colours amidst very loud booing as we were filming in Christchurch Park, Ipswich. Meanwhile I'd like to thank all Canary fans who live in Norfolk, Suffolk, all around the country and indeed, all around the world.

Your propaganda originates in binland. So I'm drawn to ask what Norwich fan in their right mind would spread binner propaganda  to attack a City fan of over 50 years standing?

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

What Norwich fan in their right mind would allow themselves to be pictured with an Ipswich scarf / rosette on may I ask? If memory serves me correctly, said incident was several years after 'the late 60's. 

Even if she was, at least she saw the light! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is your name Darren? Because if so this has been answered before...

Darren
Why don't you sell the Club and let someone who actually really supports the Club take over rather than someone from Suffolk who was pictured in 1978 wearing an Ipswich scarf at a cup final at Wembley?

Delia Smith
Hi Darren, yawn yawn! We've said it before but let's just trot it out one more time I was NOT at Wembley! I was working for Multi-coloured Swap Shop and the joke was my rosette and hat were turned round to reveal the Norwich colours amidst very loud booing as we were filming in Christchurch Park, Ipswich. Meanwhile I'd like to thank all Canary fans who live in Norfolk, Suffolk, all around the country and indeed, all around the world.

Your propaganda originates in binland. So I'm drawn to ask what Norwich fan in their right mind would spread binner propaganda  to attack a City fan of over 50 years standing?

Well she would say that, wouldn’t she? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

You've got to get all angry and add an 'r' at the end of her name...

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I have been reducing my risk profile for months, but imo its impossible to "time" the market as you miss the recovery. They have loads of articles about this in the Investors Chronicle (but the doubt always exists that they could be wrong this time 😣).

Watch 'The Big Short' again 

then think about - 

Russia /Ukraine 

Gas /electricity prices 

Record house prices 

Record lending 

Rising and record inflation 

Rising interest rates

US president Joe Biden 

UK Prime minister oh **** 

UK Chancellor oh God (but he personally made a lot of money out of RBS last time) 

Germany in a state of political flux

Capitalism works but on relies sensible Governments and a sound banking system. 

Yes, you might miss "the recovery". But last time the recovery was Government funded and this time Governments don't have any money. And the banks don't care. 

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Even if she was, at least she saw the light! 

I lost a bet about 15 years ago and pictures still exist of me on FB in an Ipswich kit. It happens. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I lost a bet about 15 years ago and pictures still exist of me on FB in an Ipswich kit. It happens. 

A bet. Sure. 🤔😉😁

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I had to wear one on my stag do as humiliation. It worked 

12 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

A bet. Sure. 🤔😉😁

You got me, I actually sleep each night in my Fabian Wilnis shirt and my 18,000 posts are the longest of long cons.

Curse you!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Badger said:

The exit could be a problem as it would remove capital from the club. To act prudently, the club would have to keep cash reserves to cover those fans wishing to remove their funding.

The idea in net terms would be more shares in circulation and cash injection into the Club. It wouldn't be a magic wand but a step in the right direction. Modest non-cash incentivisation for both marketing and retention would be necessary though equally be accompanied by incentivisation for the very smallest shareholders to either increase their holdings to a new minimum level or bargain into a Trust arrangement. The reason for the latter being to move towards the "golden share' arrangement referred to in the Crouch Report and that I understand the Club pays a legal firm to maintain the share register that is probably expensive when 6,860 shares change hands each year including inheritances.

In terms of the 'golden share' arrangement there is also the 1957 Trust that owns almost 3 times as many shares as the Canaries Trust.

In relation to Luton perhaps their 'we are all in this together outlook' will serve better than our current 2 dominant family approach. Another very good reason for developing the golden share concept with enthusiasm perhaps supported by a further more concentrated block of individual minority shareholders?

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I had to wear one on my stag do as humiliation. It worked 

Not Ipswich but I did wear a Watford shirt because I lost a charity bet. My saving grace was the city shirt underneath so that Watford shirt never actually touched my skin. 🙃

• Haha 2

A truly fan-owned club is likely to be Impracticable in any near- or medium-term future, sadly. For Norwich City I can see a consortium of well-intentioned and reasonably well-off fans adding some money to the club, but this would be nowhere near the level of finance available to our rivals.

I am interested in the government’s adoption of a supporter golden-share veto, not least because I may have been the first person to think of the idea, about 13 years ago. Certainly when I proposed it here and on the club’s message-board it was greeted as something no-one had heard of before.

This was at a time when supporter-directors were being proposed as the solution to bad ownership, but it seemed to me there was a basic flaw in the notion. Namely that the one supporter-director would simply be outvoted. And later events at Swansea, supposedly controlled by the fans, where the club was sold behind their backs, rather proved the point.

From this discussion it seems as if the idea would be for someone or some group to have a decent sized block of shares which would give them veto powers.  That is not what I had in mind.

My proposal was that a supporter-director would be chosen by an electorate consisting of all employees of the club, all season ticket holders, all share-holders (one vote irrespective of the number of shares held), and all members of bona fide supporter organisations, such as Capital Canaries and overseas fan groups.

This S-D would serve for four or five years, and either have the chance to re-elected or for a new person to take over. In fact this plan would fit in with the government’s idea of a shadow board of supporters, because the S-D could act as liaison between the real board and the shadow board by being a member of both.

As to powers the government, as I did, envisages a veto over certain heritage issues, such as the sale of the ground etc, but stops short of giving a veto over any sale of the club, which I proposed. I can see the government thought that too revolutionary an idea, but if not a veto the the S-D should at least have the formal power to register their approval or disapproval.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 07:46, littleyellowbirdie said:

The ultimate goal for me is to see the club do the best it can with what it has available to it.

For most of us we don't choose our country. You might have an opinion on who the UK allows UK arms manufacturers to sell to and you might push that opinion through the democratic process and you're a British citizen at the end of the day, regardless. On the other hand, you choose to support a football club and if you don't care about the ethics of that merely for the sake of winning games of football then there's no good reason to care about the ethics of your government either when they allow exports that provide jobs that feed families in the UK. 

You can't choose when to apply ethical behaviour. If you want Norwich City to be whiter than white you can't then be ambivalent about British made arms being used in the killing of Yemenis when the sale of those arms is feeding kids in this country.

17 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Anyone who lives in Suffolk and pretends to be Norwich can't possibly be trusted.

She told Damien Francis to go out and play a howler in the six nil at Fulham so that Norwich would be relegated.

4 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

You can't choose when to apply ethical behaviour. If you want Norwich City to be whiter than white you can't then be ambivalent about British made arms being used in the killing of Yemenis when the sale of those arms is feeding kids in this country.

Agreed BV, but as with all such moral dilemmas someone has to take the lead where they possibly can, otherwise we would just be arguing all day on social media and nothing changes.  It is a big and interconnected world; we can only lead by example and call out what is visible to us in order to get the wider world thinking.  The BK8 farce however shows how imperfect Norwich are though in chasing the dream, I would never say Norwich are whiter than white, just a bit creamier than white?  

13 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Agreed BV, but as with all such moral dilemmas someone has to take the lead where they possibly can, otherwise we would just be arguing all day on social media and nothing changes.  It is a big and interconnected world; we can only lead by example and call out what is visible to us in order to get the wider world thinking.  The BK8 farce however shows how imperfect Norwich are though in chasing the dream, I would never say Norwich are whiter than white, just a bit creamier than white?  

I hope this isn't in any way connected to Webber spu**ing our transfer budget up the wall (allegedly)....................

• Haha 1

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

I hope this isn't in any way connected to Webber spu**ing our transfer budget up the wall (allegedly)....................

Freudian perhaps ....... 😉 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

She told Damien Francis to go out and play a howler in the six nil at Fulham so that Norwich would be relegated.

Nothing to do with Delia. He was too busy thinking about getting friendly with his teammates wives to concentrate on the game!