Sign in to follow this  
bob.eastick@yahoo.ca

TIME TO PLAN ON PROMOTION FROM THE CHAMPIONSHIP

The result against Newcastle puts everything into perspective.

After 14 games Newcastle were bottom of the league behind the Canaries.

What has happened in the mean time.

Both clubs replaced their manager.

Newcastle ownership changed with a massive injection of capital into the club and investment in some quality players.

Norwich maintained their ultra conservative financial approach with the acquisition of more players better suited to the Championship.

Tonight City are absolutely rock bottom heading back to the Championship and Newcastle are sitting in the top half of the table.

Those in the club who have held steadfast believing that survival is possible have been deluding themselves, living in a dream world.

Dean Smith is confronted with a squad that simply is not strong enough for the Premier league.

Stuart Weber's farm team mentality is coming home to roost.

To have any chance of remaining in the Premier League you have to have a Premier League mentality, and unfortunately deep pockets.

Bob's plan for Promotion:

STEP 1 - Get a rich Saudi investment group with at least £400 billion to spend

STEP 2 - Get promoted

STEP 3 - Develop a Premier League mentality

Is that about right?

• Haha 2

There's more than one way to skin a cat and selling your soul to sportswash a nation with a grim human rights record so that you can wave £50 notes at promoted teams and grin broadly because you're sitting 9th in the table may not be palatable to every Norwich fan.

Brentford's approach isn't too dissimilar to ours and they've shown what can be achieved with a more balanced approach to recruitment - as, indeed, we did ourselves under Lambert.

I say - keep the model, actually learn from the mistakes (!) and keep the experiment going a little while yet ... at least until it returns us to an equal position to where we stood upon Webber's arrival.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

For me it’s always the issue of the right manager to work on a budget and our system. Smith isn’t it, never has been, Worthy, Lambert, Alex Neal and Farke had that, they all had the right team of coaches and support staff in place to get the best out of the squad and system.

Now we have additional limitations of EU work permits for players and a lot more teams with very rich owners through three divisions. This means we are competitive in the FFP set up but once we get into the premier league we can’t compete as those with the big bucks attract and buy far better players than we have! Ajer summed up our transfer last summer.

We need to re assess now our strategy and seriously consider a manager and set up which works on a lower budget principle, I’ve always looked at Robins and what he’s done with his team of staff at Coventry and admired how he turned them into a very decent championship side, he’d be my first choice then you have the Norwegian Knutsen who has worked miracles there. It’s certainly a no brainer for me, we’ll never be able to seriously compete at top level, but that shouldn’t stop the fans or club striving to get there, we shouldn’t be downhearted at getting promotion, it should be an exciting experience, not one to be dreaded.

Smith & Webber should be shown the door, continuing improvement on the good base left by Webber should be what we look for not accept and beg for Webber to give 90% at this club, Neal Adams is there for the change and I’d do everything possible to bring in one of the two managers and set up I’ve mentioned. Our owners hang onto things too long, they find a good working solution then as it starts to fail don’t make the necessary changes in the faint belief it’s worked before so it can again……sometimes to move forwards you need change in fresh ideas, from Doncaster, McNally to Webber, all started great but ultimately the longer here the more we regressed. Time for that overhaul!

• Like 2

Step 1 : Fire Webber

Step 2: Fire Smith

Step 3: Sell Kenny, Cantwell, 

Step 4: Be prepared for Krul, Aarons, Pukki to ask for a transfer having "had enough of this sh1t"

Step 5: Bring back Daniel Farke

Step 6: Spank the Championship

Step 7: Buy a Defensive Midfielder 

Step 8: Survive the Premier League

Step 9: Watch all the pants wetters / Delia outters / Big money investment fans sh1t a brick and moan about something new. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Step 1 : Fire Webber

Step 2: Fire Smith

Step 3: Sell Kenny, Cantwell, 

Step 4: Be prepared for Krul, Aarons, Pukki to ask for a transfer having "had enough of this sh1t"

Step 5: Bring back Daniel Farke

Step 6: Spank the Championship

Step 7: Buy a Defensive Midfielder 

Step 8: Survive the Premier League

Step 9: Watch all the pants wetters / Delia outters / Big money investment fans sh1t a brick and moan about something new. 

Step 10: Observe the pig flying by.

• Haha 3