Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

So what happened with the drive for more physicality?

Recommended Posts

At the end of the last campaign it was widely accepted that to go with our more skilful players we needed a raft of players with a bit more physicality about them. 

Today, we are losing and being bullied off the ball and winning zero in attack or defence when the crosses come in. Three subs are made and we bring on 3  players who offer nothing physically challenging to Newcastle and just allowed them to fully control the game.

Bizarre

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, East Rider said:

At the end of the last campaign it was widely accepted that to go with our more skilful players we needed a raft of players with a bit more physicality about them. 

Today, we are losing and being bullied off the ball and winning zero in attack or defence when the crosses come in. Three subs are made and we bring on 3  players who offer nothing physically challenging to Newcastle and just allowed them to fully control the game.

Bizarre

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately three of the players in our squad who would have offered us a lot more height and physicality to contest crosses into the box were out injured - Idah, Omobomadele and Sargent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Unfortunately three of the players in our squad who would have offered us a lot more height and physicality to contest crosses into the box were out injured - Idah, Omobomadele and Sargent. 

Sorry - four - you can add Kabak to that list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you want to select players because of their physicality, but then can't because they are injured, then you have to ask questions about their physicality!

Wet blankets.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The not signing at least one and probaly two proper DCMs was where it all went wrong.

We lose 0-3 at home and not a singal player has been booked. Says a lot really.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an awful lot of players constantly slipping at poor times too. 
these things should be addressed, but the back room staff keep leaving and the ones that stay can take a month off for the gym.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that we need players who have physical strength, pace and technical ability. Too many of our squad either have a lot of one (e.g. Placheta is quick but lacks strength and technique) or a bit of everything (e.g.McLean). 

Unfortunately, these players cost double what we can afford. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but on here we were told that we had spent the 11th most in Europe..  our DoF, quoted about guns and tanks etc. The guy has failed and is now taking the mickey. I won't mind but his sod you attitude is frankly embarrassing and his reaction to the fans outside Carrow Road clearly shows his utter contempt for us and the club.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reckon half the City Stand have more physicality than our midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is a HUGE reason behind this relegation and the previous one.

I can only think that ideologically Webber and Farke were / are opposed to having players outside of the CB position that are big and specialise in breaking up play (remember how appalled Daniel was when he first watched Tettey train?!). I remember Connor Southwell saying very early in the summer window that we may not be looking to play with a DM at all this season ... hence why we only have one in the entire squad (Sorensen) and Normann was disingenuinely pitched to us as a DM ... which Bethnal convincingly demonstrated he wasn't before he'd even signed!

What links Lambert's squad and that of SheffU and Brentford was / is a balance of small passers AND tall enforcers.

In the Utd vs Arsenal game yesterday there were 4 DMs on the pitch! We play with none!!!

Again, for me, THIS is the primary reason why we're going down again ... we are too small, too slow and too easily bullied and the agonising thing is that the club themselves highlighted this at the end of the last relegation and brought in Skipp.

We needed at least TWO Skipp types to be brought in last summer ... and that's not hindsight. Many of us were saying that from the moment the trophy was lifted.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I mean, fcuking Normann, why the hell did he even start the 2nd half?

So he could give the Carrow Road turf further inspection with his backside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I mean, fcuking Normann, why the hell did he even start the 2nd half?

Because since Cantwell left we need someone to fill the falling over a lot whilst wearing an Alice band position..... 👍

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is more about mentality than physicality.  Lots of excellent small tenacious midfielders over the years - but they were up for the fight and wouldn’t be bullied. 
 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Unfortunately three of the players in our squad who would have offered us a lot more height and physicality to contest crosses into the box were out injured - Idah, Omobomadele and Sargent. 

That's the issue there in a sentence.

Two untried young teenagers and an un tested forward/winger/midfielder/?

From the start of this season we have seen virtually every team other than the supremely skilful ones, dominate us on the pitch and we have yet again done sod all to deal with this. 

I'm specifically thinking of having a proven Tetey type character to win the odd tackle and provide a robust cover when we are under pressure. 

Normann for example, was targeted yesterday purely because he alone tried to put himself about a bit yet when you look at Newcastle/Crystal palace and numerous team like them in this league, they have a balance. 

Not a teenage trio of untested talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not stature its fight. I play rugby....5 10, 19 stone. I'm not the biggest but I dont let myself get bullied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

It's not stature its fight

Correct 100% agree.

We lack it as a team and the rest of the league know it, hence we are bullied out of games very early on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stature in  terms of physicality does not have to mean tall, look at Kante, Thiago and even Skipp, but it does mean strength and aggression. The only player in the whole squad who really has that is Hanley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I mean, fcuking Normann, why the hell did he even start the 2nd half?

Cos he's handsome., and got a gym bod.

The epitome of  style over substance. 

Hes not hard , in the least. A Ken Doll.

Fragile show pony or should i say Puny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East Rider said:

That's the issue there in a sentence.

Two untried young teenagers and an un tested forward/winger/midfielder/?

From the start of this season we have seen virtually every team other than the supremely skilful ones, dominate us on the pitch and we have yet again done sod all to deal with this. 

I'm specifically thinking of having a proven Tetey type character to win the odd tackle and provide a robust cover when we are under pressure. 

Normann for example, was targeted yesterday purely because he alone tried to put himself about a bit yet when you look at Newcastle/Crystal palace and numerous team like them in this league, they have a balance. 

Not a teenage trio of untested talent. 

It's just not that simple - it really isn't - last time in the Premier League we had a proven Tettey type character to win the odd tackle and provide a robust cover when we are under pressure.

His name?  Alex Tettey!

We finished bottom with 21 points! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Unfortunately, these players cost double what we can afford. 

 

If we could afford them they wouldn't come to a newly-promoted club.

Stay up for a couple of seasons and we could afford them and they are more likely to come. Catch 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We finished bottom with 21 points! 

Last time in the PL we started the campaign with only 3 fit CBs and soon ran out of them. Our defence was decimated from the start and AT was at the end of his career with us.

An AT 'type' character who continually help to steady the ship and provide some steel is something we are missing, not AT himself.

You are right about it not being that simple, I'm certainly not suggesting it is. 

Men against boys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said for a while this is one of the most physically weak sides I’ve seen of ours. Opposition just seem To walk through our challenges. Mobility is another huge issue. Especially in CM. We’re too slow to close down efficiently and attacks just seem so laboured. 
The only time I’ve seen any drive in this area is from Williams when he went on one of his runs. I actually think he’d make a really good box to box midfielder. This really needs addressing, like the fans have been saying for ages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Last time in the PL we started the campaign with only 3 fit CBs and soon ran out of them. Our defence was decimated from the start and AT was at the end of his career with us.

An AT 'type' character who continually help to steady the ship and provide some steel is something we are missing, not AT himself.

You are right about it not being that simple, I'm certainly not suggesting it is. 

Men against boys

Fair points about what happened at the beginning of the last Premier League season with our defence etc. I certainly agree with you up to a point, but the trouble is that at Premier League level that holding midfielder needs to be at least a fairly decent footballer as well as having the defensive attributes. You may remember that whilst he was here Tettey was often derided on this board for being a poor passer who only played it sideways or backwards.

It is obvious that the signing of Normann was an attempt to find a player who would tick all those boxes. It's worked up to a point - Normann has been our best midfield player this season - but of course he got injured just as he was running into a good period of form. 

I really hope that Sorenson is able to make the defensive midfield position his own in the Championship next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normann arrived late and injured. If he was our reliable muscle, it didn't start well.

We have to buy these players when in the Champs and hope they can progress. This summer surely we will buy at least 2 CDMs. Berge if Sheffield United don't go up; Ledson from Preston; even Shinnie from Derby. Not very exciting maybe, but we need someone to do the job who just might be able to step up.

While we're at it get John Swift and Chris Willock as new 10s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Normann arrived late and injured. If he was our reliable muscle, it didn't start well.

We have to buy these players when in the Champs and hope they can progress. This summer surely we will buy at least 2 CDMs. Berge if Sheffield United don't go up; Ledson from Preston; even Shinnie from Derby. Not very exciting maybe, but we need someone to do the job who just might be able to step up.

While we're at it get John Swift and Chris Willock as new 10s.

Berge is as weak in the tackle as any of our midfielders. Great driving forward and incredibly difficult to shift off the ball.  But not a defensive bone in his body and is crap at tracking back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Normann arrived late and injured. If he was our reliable muscle, it didn't start well.

We have to buy these players when in the Champs and hope they can progress. This summer surely we will buy at least 2 CDMs. Berge if Sheffield United don't go up; Ledson from Preston; even Shinnie from Derby. Not very exciting maybe, but we need someone to do the job who just might be able to step up.

While we're at it get John Swift and Chris Willock as new 10s.

Wow, there's some **** in that list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Berge is as weak in the tackle as any of our midfielders. Great driving forward and incredibly difficult to shift off the ball.  But not a defensive bone in his body and is crap at tracking back.  

I don't think any coach would agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...