Jump to content
vlad666

Webber interview with the times

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I dislike Stuart Webber’s attitude, I really do. It’s OK to demonstrate to your employer , the staff, the players and the Supporters that 90% effort is acceptable and all you are prepared to give? Brilliant!  As a consequence I am prepared to only give 90% of my ticket face value, is that acceptable to Mr Webber? I am not here to appease Mr Webber’s  desire to walk every hill in the world, I am here to expect him to produce a sporting spectacle that I can support. It is an effort of outrageous self delusion and arrogance if Mr Webber considers that providing the Club with a squad as staggeringly unfit for purpose as the squad that we presently have , is acceptable. Not acceptable to the Supporters and should not be acceptable to the owners.

Edited by kenfoggo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What part of 11th biggest spenders in Europe don't you understand.

The problem is he tried to sign an entire team rather than 2 or 3 players of real quality.

Tried to or needed to?

11th biggest net spend or something else? Part of the model that facilitated that spending is to sign players with high resale value, which is where the real issues lie.

No doubt recruitment has been atrocious in terms of strengthening the squad, but I am not sure that is always the priority with signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sooner Mr Webber realises that supporters do matter more than he will ever know, the better! His interview and the antics of today sum up the man completely, and the owners have given him a free reign too! Better concentrate on what’s before you instead of hill walking for charity at a very very critical juncture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No massive fan of Webber, but I think he and his wife put long hours into doing their best for the club.  He must be as disappointed with the signings as we are - not only poor, but decreasing in value.  Let’s hope they develop in the Championship next season.

I wish we had kept Farke.  We didn’t, I see little benefit in asking for new owners, Webber or Smith to leave. They know what we have and what we lack, they are best placed to build back for next season.

I don’t think the club can’t manage without him for a few weeks, and it is probably better for him and the rest of the board that they learn to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Did you read this before posting?

 

And has he actually satisfied fans. I rest my case! The man is a moron who NCFC gets in the way of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think here we see the damage caused by the lack of s strong CEO and of checks and balances on the Webbers at executive level. 
 

A bowkett, Munby or dare I say it Balls would step in here, talk with the owners and either smooth this situation over or make some decisions.

There is a leadership vacuum at the club and too much acceptance of failure. 

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Smith said:

I think here we see the damage caused by the lack of s strong CEO and of checks and balances on the Webbers at executive level. 
 

A bowkett, Mumba or dare I say it Balls would step in here, talk with the owners and either smooth this situation over or make some decisions.

That's a lot for a right back to do, he's not even at the club at the moment. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, A Load of Squit said:

That's a lot for a right back to do, he's not even at the club at the moment. 

He’s the man for the job! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think here we see the damage caused by the lack of s strong CEO and of checks and balances on the Webbers at executive level. 
 

A bowkett, Munby or dare I say it Balls would step in here, talk with the owners and either smooth this situation over or make some decisions.

There is a leadership vacuum at the club and too much acceptance of failure. 

I second that. 

While I'm no Webber fan, I think he has done as much as he can here. He has tried on more than one occasion to keep us in the Top Flight and he just can't do it and I don't think he ever will.

With his comments yesterday, the pressure is arguably getting to him and I think it is best for the club  that he leaves at the end of the season and looks for another challenge as the longer the spends here, the growing realisation will be that he can do nothing. 

Edited by komakino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ian said:

Overall SW has done a very impressive job. I do think the high performance, ultra honest mantra is synonymous with inexperience and a lack of professionalism, but ultimately he has been hamstrung by the requirement to shop in Poundland, whilst every other Prem team is at Harrods.

I think that is his only defence, that he is given such limited resources. However, with the sale of Emi he has shown that he has spent very unwisely and given a larger budget, would that still be the same? 

He needs to move on, for himself and the club. There is nothing left here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I normally agree with your posts, Purple, but I can't with this.

1) I accept that it is almost impossible to usefully connect with the fans when we're in the middle of a woefully inadequate season, so it's best to say nothing and wait until the season is over. So why did Webber give this interview now? More pertinently, why did he give it to The Times and not to EDP or PinkUn? It is hard to come up with any other reason other than he thinks he is a very important person who is not answerable to the little people - the NCFC fans. Giving this interview to the PinkUn would have raised hackles and been controversial. Giving it to a national newspaper, and effectively saying that he's ready to walk out at any moment but out of the goodness of his heart he decided to stay, is deeply disrespectful of the fans (and also, incidentally, to Delia and Michael). He clearly thinks we're sh*t.

2) What we wanted to hear about from him was not his mountaineering exploits. I think most of us couldn't give a damn if he goes climbing mountains as long as it doesn't impact on his job at Carrow Road. Frankly, I couldn't give a f*ck if he puts a flag on top of Everest or falls down a crevasse. We wanted, not unreasonably, to know why this season has been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. As I said, I recognise now might not be the time to talk about this. But neither is it the time to give interviews to a national newspaper about his extra-curricular activities. It is exactly the wrong thing to do.

The fact that he gave this interview in the first place goes a long way to explaining why this season has been such a disaster.

Bubbles, praise and then the dagger to the heart!

As to the interview, The Times is an internationally known paper, and it will have approached Webber for the interview rather than the other way round, with the subject his plan to climb Everest. I don't see why he should have turned that down. But as it happens, in talking about Everest he ended up mentioning the football side of his life as well, and under the circumstances that was particularly bad timing.

As to summing up this season, as you say, now is not the time. Southwell confirmed yesterday that they have asked for such an interview but been told that if it does happen it won't be until relegation is confirmed, which seems perfectly sensible to be. What could he say now apart from bland platitudes about fighting to the end?

For what it is worth I regard Webber as still being in credit. Given our model, pretty much every decision in the transfer market has to be right, and that was no easy task last summer, given the financial constrains and the added problem of the new Brexit rules. It is academic but it would be interesting to know what continental-based targets we might otherwise have gone for. But the reality is mistakes were made. This summer needs to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Bubbles, praise and then the dagger to the heart!

As to the interview, The Times is an internationally known paper, and it will have approached Webber for the interview rather than the other way round, with the subject his plan to climb Everest. I don't see why he should have turned that down. But as it happens, in talking about Everest he ended up mentioning the football side of his life as well, and under the circumstances that was particularly bad timing.

As to summing up this season, as you say, now is not the time. Southwell confirmed yesterday that they have asked for such an interview but been told that if it does happen it won't be until relegation is confirmed, which seems perfectly sensible to be. What could he say now apart from bland platitudes about fighting to the end?

For what it is worth I regard Webber as still being in credit. Given our model, pretty much every decision in the transfer market has to be right, and that was no easy task last summer, given the financial constrains and the added problem of the new Brexit rules. It is academic but it would be interesting to know what continental-based targets we might otherwise have gone for. But the reality is mistakes were made. This summer needs to be better.

And that’s the problem with this club! Webber still in credit! As I posted on another thread, we as a club move forwards then as it needs another step change we cling on to some hope that what’s worked will continue! While we’re ahead make the change to move forwards not backwards.

For me it’s always the issue of the right manager to work on a budget and our system. Smith isn’t it, never has been, Worthy, Lambert, Alex Neal and Farke had that, they all had the right team of coaches and support staff in place to get the best out of the squad and system.

Now we have additional limitations of EU work permits for players and a lot more teams with very rich owners through three divisions. This means we are competitive in the FFP set up but once we get into the premier league we can’t compete as those with the big bucks attract and buy far better players than we have! Ajer summed up our transfer last summer.

We need to re assess now our strategy and seriously consider a manager and set up which works on a lower budget principle, I’ve always looked at Robins and what he’s done with his team of staff at Coventry and admired how he turned them into a very decent championship side, he’d be my first choice then you have the Norwegian Knutsen who has worked miracles there. It’s certainly a no brainer for me, we’ll never be able to seriously compete at top level, but that shouldn’t stop the fans or club striving to get there, we shouldn’t be downhearted at getting promotion, it should be an exciting experience, not one to be dreaded.

Smith & Webber should be shown the door, continuing improvement on the good base left by Webber should be what we look for not accept and beg for Webber to give 90% at this club, Neal Adams is there for the change and I’d do everything possible to bring in one of the two managers and set up I’ve mentioned. Our owners hang onto things too long, they find a good working solution then as it starts to fail don’t make the necessary changes in the faint belief it’s worked before so it can again……sometimes to move forwards you need change in fresh ideas, from Doncaster, McNally to Webber, all started great but ultimately the longer here the more we regressed. Time for that overhaul!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ian said:

Tried to or needed to?

11th biggest net spend or something else? Part of the model that facilitated that spending is to sign players with high resale value, which is where the real issues lie.

No doubt recruitment has been atrocious in terms of strengthening the squad, but I am not sure that is always the priority with signings.

11th biggest spenders in Europe was Webbers own claim, let him justify his own spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s all very well looking for off-field scapegoats, but at the end of the day, Webber’s 90% is a far greater figure than the effort and skill levels from the majority of the squad.

The players must take ultimate responsibility for the woeful path this season has taken.

Mistake after mistake, misplaced pass after misplaced pass, shocking finishing after shocking finishing, and a goals for and against column that is borderline criminal.

Only Pukki comes out of this season with any credit. The rest have been stealing a wage, a wage far, far in excess of most supporters’ comprehension.

This squad of players have firmly cemented NCFC as irrelevant. No fight. No distinct style of play. No admiration from other sets of supporters. 
 

Next season? Who cares? Seasons like this one underline the pointless euphoria of getting promoted.

We’ve had plenty of opportunities to cement top level football and squandered every one of them. Other clubs deserve their chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, unique said:

It’s all very well looking for off-field scapegoats, but at the end of the day, Webber’s 90% is a far greater figure than the effort and skill levels from the majority of the squad.

The players must take ultimate responsibility for the woeful path this season has taken.

Mistake after mistake, misplaced pass after misplaced pass, shocking finishing after shocking finishing, and a goals for and against column that is borderline criminal.

Only Pukki comes out of this season with any credit. The rest have been stealing a wage, a wage far, far in excess of most supporters’ comprehension.

This squad of players have firmly cemented NCFC as irrelevant. No fight. No distinct style of play. No admiration from other sets of supporters. 
 

Next season? Who cares? Seasons like this one underline the pointless euphoria of getting promoted.

We’ve had plenty of opportunities to cement top level football and squandered every one of them. Other clubs deserve their chance.

Fair comment. Norwich City must be the only Premier League club in history who don't actually want to be there. Other clubs have failed too, but the total lack of desire from the top speaks volumes. 

Paying Lip Service to the EPL doesn't work and the criticism the club has received from the media throughout the season is largely justified. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, komakino said:

Fair comment. Norwich City must be the only Premier League club in history who don't actually want to be there. Other clubs have failed too, but the total lack of desire from the top speaks volumes. 

Paying Lip Service to the EPL doesn't work and the criticism the club has received from the media throughout the season is largely justified. 

Utterly agreed. Delia Smith is the most deceitful person you could ever hope to meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"My life is not to appease Norwich fans."

During the interview, Webber appeared to suggest he wanted to leave the club, but had agreed to continue at 90pc effort.

He said: "I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’

"But they wanted me to stay and I’m incredibly grateful to them for that."

 

I really cant see him staying here much longer if this is how he feels. He's already stayed longer than he said he would initially hasnt he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Utterly agreed. Delia Smith is the most deceitful person you could ever hope to meet.

😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

Vinny,  I know its hard but women are allowed to be more successful than you

Edited by hogesar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Webbo is at the mo' displaying the traits of an amnesiac garden allotment holder....and seems to have lost the plot.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Hard-hitting article from Archant on the Webber interview. They are totally right in what they say. The 'powers that be' at FCR will be furious that the local rag has spoken in such forthright terms no doubt. Good!!

  https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-stuart-webber-pinkun-podcast-8917080

 

Wow!

Really can't see him being here next season, fingers crossed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wow!

Really can't see him being here next season, fingers crossed.

 

It looks like he wants paying off and is trying to engineer that... hideous bloke and can not wait for his removal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On twitter there’s numerous people talking about the confrontation, between Webber and the fans, after the game. Most people would have seen the video. Apparently there was an earlier incident as well. They claim Webber was blowing kisses and repeatedly having to be being pushed back inside.
I wasn’t there to witness it so obviously could be rubbish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

On twitter there’s numerous people talking about the confrontation, between Webber and the fans, after the game. Most people would have seen the video. Apparently there was an earlier incident as well. They claim Webber was blowing kisses and repeatedly having to be being pushed back inside.
I wasn’t there to witness it so obviously could be rubbish. 

So Webber may have fuelled the situation and the fans reacted with unpleasant expletives? Who’d have thought it concerning Mr Ego. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So Webber may have fuelled the situation and the fans reacted with unpleasant expletives? Who’d have thought it concerning Mr Ego. 

That’s what they’re saying whether it’s true or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Webber should never have reacted. From someone who's mantra is 'ignore the noise' his reaction was ridiculous. What happened was not pleasant but it's a predictable  part of football. I've seen it at Carrow Road for 55 years starting with the zigger zagger chants at Geoffrey Watling. Webber is the first I've seen react like that which is incredible because unlike some of the other times I've seen it he brought this on himself.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Webber should never have reacted. From someone who's mantra is 'ignore the noise' his reaction was ridiculous. What happened was not pleasant but it's a predictable  part of football. I've seen it at Carrow Road for 55 years starting with the zigger zagger chants at Geoffrey Watling. Webber is the first I've seen react like that which is incredible because unlike some of the other times I've seen it he brought this on himself.

 

100% Nutty . 
Looked out of control and saved by Zoe . 
A disastrous day all round from the Director of Football who announced there is more to life than Football (and earning a commensurate package) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see Webber leaving making one iota of difference to our position as a yo yo team, if anything it might mean the yo yo stopping at the bottom of its circuit. I don't know what the answer is but be very careful what you wish for.

If the only way that any club can compete in the EPL is by having a wealthy foreign owner then maybe its time for me to go and follow one of my other sports more closely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, City 2nd said:

And has he actually satisfied fans. I rest my case! The man is a moron who NCFC gets in the way of.

Clearly you didn’t read it.

 

IT. IS. NOT. HIS. JOB. TO. SATISFY. THE. FANS. 
 

His job is to ensure the best long-term interests of the club. Supporters like yourself who are unable to see beyond the end of their noses, want “success” and want it now appear not to realise that sometimes short-term results don’t align with the long-term.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...