vlad666

Webber interview with the times

I think SW has flaws, like most people have - no-one is perfect - but on the whole I find him open and honest and he says it as he sees it - and I like that. I disagreed with his sacking of Farke - but he made the decision and tbh, Smith hasn't been worse...he's just not been much better......

If he has divided his committment 90% to NCFC and 10% to mountaineering, then he will still be giving 100% to NCFC during the time he is here and he will be giving 100% to mountaineering while he is doing that - and that seems fair enough.

So, good luck to him with the mountaineering and good luck to him at NCFC.  Even if it has become more of a consultant role at Norwich, then he is worth having around for his contacts book alone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

🤣

Ok, now that has to be a joke? Gunn? Sacked after one game? Hamilton, who lasted what? A season at most?

Worthington? In all fairness, I very much doubt we'd have gone to league one had he stayed. The two managers that followed in Grant and Roeder were the absolute worst I have ever seen at Norwich in 35 yrs of supporting them. Neither really left any sort of legacy really. Grant perhaps Chris Martin, Roeder with Hoolahan. But at what cost to the rest of the side? To our long-term?

Gunn had more than one game, If we want to be pedantic we can always say, we weren't relegated until he took over. And he had two games the following season. He had three wins in 19 games in 2008/09. And Hamilton wasn't sacked. he resigned.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It took McNally to come in and sack Gunn as he was appointed full time over the summer following relegation to League One by D&M when he had been temporary manager. It took everyone by surprise that he was given the gig in the first place by the owners and smacked of jobs for the boys.

As for Hamilton his closeness to D&M brought about Roich leaving his job. Results did for Hamilton in the end.

Worthington's departure still sits uncomfortably with Delia as he was and still is a close personal friend.

I am sure you will disagree but i am now off to the game today and don't wish to drag this Webberfest off topic.

Did they oppose McNally sacking Gunn? Clearly not. They certainly didn't get in the way did they?

Yes, results did Hamilton, but again, they still got rid.

And Worthington's departure, still sits uncomfortably with some of the support as well. One of the best managers we have had in the last 25yrs. In many ways he worked with a lot less than Farke was given to work with. And came incredibly close to keeping us in the premier league with one of the oldest squads assembled on a shoestring of freebies, cheap buys and Huckerby, with an additional Ashton when he was allowed to sign him.

It doesn't at all fit with your agenda, sorry, argument.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Gunn had more than one game, If we want to be pedantic we can always say, we weren't relegated until he took over. And he had two games the following season. He had three wins in 19 games in 2008/09. And Hamilton wasn't sacked. he resigned.

Sure, it still doesn't fit the agenda that they are too sentimental, get too emotionally involved and aren't prepared to make decisions when they need to be made.

If you respect people, you give them the chance to resign before booting them, that's it really.

As for the one game - one game of a season... how often can you say they have overseen things like that? Despite Tilly saying it is all down to McNally, they still would have had a say in it. 

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sure, it still doesn't fit the agenda that they are too sentimental, get too emotionally involved and aren't prepared to make decisions when they need to be made.

If you respect people, you give them the chance to resign before booting them, that's it really.

As for the one game - one game of a season... how often can you say they have overseen things like that? Despite Tilly saying it is all down to McNally, they still would have had a say in it. 

He had two games. Colchester at home and Yeovil in the League Cup.

I'm not arguing either way. Or agreeing with any agenda. In my opinion they don't have one or else they wouldn't have sacked Farke. Just pointing out that Gunn had from January until the end of the season and then two games the next. And they didn't sack Hamilton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Not many employers would allow you the time and lack of focus to do your job for an Everest climb, especially probably the most important position at this club. Most companies would expect you to take a break or leave to do such a thing! Lastly it’s been an utterly poor season and the pressure should be on him to focus on an important championship season coming up.

He’s obviously got his focus on his personal goals and as a fan of Norwich I would rather he took himself out of the club to focus on this and allow NA to take control as he can give full focus to the needs of the job!

I dont think he has to leave to allow NA or the head of recruitment to do their jobs.

“My life isn’t to appease Norwich fans,” Webber says.

No not his life, but his current job is exactly that. 100% (or should that be 90%!) 

I don't think Webber can look Deano in the eye now and demand 100%, nor can Deano the players.

NCFC a club that will happily accept 2nd best. 

• Like 3

Fans are crazy sometimes. Where does this idea come from that we somehow own these people?

You see it when players have outside interests and are seen doing other things “Well they should be training/focusing on the club instead” etc etc as though people can’t have outside interests or hobbies like other people that keep them having normal lives.

Webber is an employee of the club, not of the fans. Just because we buy tickets and merchandise, or show up on match day, doesn’t mean we are buying the bloke. He gets paid for bringing his skills and experience, not for his whole existence.

If the club weren’t happy with his work, or that things would be suitably managed whilst he’s away, then he wouldn’t be going.

I also don’t agree with the point that other companies wouldn’t support this. If one of my team came to me wanting to do a challenge like this then I’d do all I could to support them. You have to help your staff reach their goals in life if you can, then they remain happy and productive people who are happy to stay working with you.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

“My life isn’t to appease Norwich fans,” Webber says.

No not his life, but his current job is exactly that. 100% (or should that be 90%!) 

Not really though is it Greavsy?

His job is about the running of the sporting side of the club.

Can you imagine what it'd be like if we had someone in charge of that who was relying 100% on appeasing fans? It's odd enough watching people flip flop about on here at times.

It's a similar argument to MP's isn't it? Are they elected to do as the electorate want or to be a representative and to make decisions based on what they think is best for their constituents? A very hotly debated topic for the majority of the time.

The main difference here is that Webber is employed by the club, not by the fans. He has repeatedly said that the fans are what make the club tick. But he is also right to say he isn't there to appease fans. He isn't. 

46 minutes ago, chicken said:

Equally, why do people think he should only give an interview when and where they demand it and only to say the things they want to hear?

Strangely he is the one with an egotistical attitude problem yet people are happily mimicking Trump at this point. 

You're going to have to explain where people are acting like Trump or demanding he only says what they want to hear.

Webber is a public figure, hence why he gets interviewed by a national newspaper. As a public figure his interviews are going to get critiqued which is what is happening here. Not sure why the person on the 7 figure salary getting some not unreasonable criticism is such an issue for you.

• Like 5

Just now, chicken said:

Not really though is it Greavsy?

His job is about the running of the sporting side of the club.

Can you imagine what it'd be like if we had someone in charge of that who was relying 100% on appeasing fans? It's odd enough watching people flip flop about on here at times.

It's a similar argument to MP's isn't it? Are they elected to do as the electorate want or to be a representative and to make decisions based on what they think is best for their constituents? A very hotly debated topic for the majority of the time.

The main difference here is that Webber is employed by the club, not by the fans. He has repeatedly said that the fans are what make the club tick. But he is also right to say he isn't there to appease fans. He isn't. 

Webber job is to be the best he can in the role he is paid to do. If successful the fans / board everyone is happy.

We haven't achieved this season, and next year he's putting in 10% less effort. 

Football is an entertainment business and he is one of ncfc component parts.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think he has to leave to allow NA or the head of recruitment to do their jobs.

So if the business can function with no issue without him why are the owners apparently begging him to stay when he doesn't want to? What are we paying his sizable salary for?

4 hours ago, vlad666 said:

That’s a huge problem. The fact the owners begged him to stay, after he said he won’t give 100%, tells you everything you need to know. They get too personal with staff and let it effect their decision making

Absolutely and this flaw has been going on ever since they arrived back in 1996. Amazing many fans just will not accept they are years past their sell by date. 

• Like 3

I suggest those that support our DoF and his 'ascent of man' ventures, should attend today's game wearing a carabiner in a belt loop. There'll be at least a baker's dozen showing their admiration and support to 'Our Stu'.....'Oh yeah'....

image.jpeg.7a921dbdad4b8ee05561b94d0bb8caf2.jpeg "Onwards and Upwards!".....

Imagine a team trying to sign a play, or more accurately renew a contract and they stipulate they can't work a certain period as they are doing some charity work. 

I'm not knocking the desire to do some good, but there is a time and place, surely?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Imagine a team trying to sign a play, or more accurately renew a contract and they stipulate they can't work a certain period as they are doing some charity work. 

I'm not knocking the desire to do some good, but there is a time and place, surely?

If the 'certain period' didn't clash with the fixture list then it wouldn't be a problem. Lots of players have their own charitable trusts that they do work for. 

“I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’ But they wanted me to stay and I’m incredibly grateful to them for that.”

What an arrogant ****. 

• Like 1

I thought it was an honest answer.  It sounds to me like he has lost a bit of hunger for the role, he is right an experienced guy spinning the plate is normally more effective for the organisation than an the all action newbie, even through managers love the latter.

I can’t see him staying long now, after treading water for a bit he will fancy something else.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Equally, why do people think he should only give an interview when and where they demand it and only to say the things they want to hear?

Strangely he is the one with an egotistical attitude problem yet people are happily mimicking Trump at this point. 

You've lost me now Chicken. Who's demanded he say what?

And Trump? I mean...wtf.

OTBC

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

“I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’ But they wanted me to stay and I’m incredibly grateful to them for that.”

What an arrogant ****. 

Yep, for sure....

3 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Vlad you swine! I've already put a thread up about this! 😱 Oh well... 😆

The big take away I got from Mr 90%s interview is that it seems we don't need a Sporting Director at certain times of the year.

‘You did Kilimanjaro in January.’ Yes, I did, because we had zero funds to sign a player. What am I going to do? Sit in my office for 30 days?'

So did he really think, we have no funds to sign a player so I will go and climb a mountain or did he engineer the situation to not being able to buy a player so that he could be free to go and climb  mountain? 

The problem I have is that he is trying to ride two horses at the same time and he won't be able to give his best to either.

I think climbing Everest is a great achievement and have no problem with him wanting to do it. The experience will be a massive part of who he will become. But working at the top level of a football club that aspires to reside in the Premiership does demand 100% of your time. Webber needs to choose. If he wants to pursue his dreams then he also needs to operate below the level of NCFC because our club requires total commitment to the top job.

Mike and Delia have to start searching for a replacement sporting director. 

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This, this shows the problem with being a nicey nicey club. No other club in the country would "beg" someone to stay who says they can only offer 90% (and I would bet that is on a good day, most of the time it will be 70%) if it were me I'd have let him walk out the door if he's ready. There's plenty of other people out there who can do his job. 

Agreed - said person would be shown the door pronto!! Sadly, this pathetically embarrassing ..............'little old Norwich syndrome' carries on full steam ahead with the geriatrics digging their heels in.

5 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Same article here without pay wall.... 

https://archive.ph/DWXnE

This quote made me smile ;

I get introduced, even at a wedding, ‘This is Stuart, he works for Norwich City’ or ‘He used to work for Liverpool.’ It’s like my identity is just around my job and I really dislike that.

If the man that high up appears to be embarrassed about who he works for, he's one of the few in a position to change it. Make it something to be proud of. Although it must be said, whenever I've been introduced anywhere, certainly socially, rather than professionally they don't introduce me a "this is xxxx he works for company, as where I work is irrelevant in that circumstance. 

I wonder if we were higher up the league, or won a trophy he would view it differently. 

Has any club won a trophy whilst he's been there? 

Yep, us twice.

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

You've lost me now Chicken. Who's demanded he say what?

And Trump? I mean...wtf.

OTBC

Incredible but I suppose comically admirable at those defending the DoF....I can't imagine if he was employed by any of the other Premier League Club's with their Owners, Board's and their support accepting 'sabbatical stu' especially if they were currently struggling or teetering on survival.....