Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Sheffield Utd to be sold for £115 million?

Sorry to those without the Athletic. See other articles.

Prince Abdullah is reported to have paid £5 million for it according to the Star - but that doesn't sound right to me (I know there was a protracted battle). Hopefully Shef will be along soon to clarify! 😃

https://theathletic.com/news/efl-reviewing-115m-takeover-of-sheffield-united-by-american-businessman-mauriss/RDzXz1QrMfQb/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61177119

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/henry-mauriss-meet-the-american-billionaire-who-wants-to-buy-sheffield-united-3663500

Edited by Badger
clarified sentence

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Prince Abdullah is reported to have paid £5 million for it according to the Star - but that doesn't sound right to me. Hopefully Shef will be along soon to clarify! 😃

https://theathletic.com/news/efl-reviewing-115m-takeover-of-sheffield-united-by-american-businessman-mauriss/RDzXz1QrMfQb/

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/henry-mauriss-meet-the-american-billionaire-who-wants-to-buy-sheffield-united-3663500

Oh well, may have to settle for 2nd place next season then 🤔

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

But but nobody is interested in clubs of our size..

? Hardly - football clubs smaller than ours sell every year!

Just now, stratton canary said:

Oh well, may have to settle for 2nd place next season then 🤔

And if Everton are relegated? 😃

Joking aside, I think we know enough from previous examples that a rich owner doesn't do much to change performance on the pitch. I wouldn't get too worried!

Being sold to one of those 'orrible Furriners so nothing to see here except to sit back and read the posts from those that know all there is to know about the finances of Sheff Utd.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Buying mid sized yoyo type football teams??? It'll never catch on.... 

If the new FFP rules (Profit and Sustainability) are passed, I think that we are in a new world. It almost guarantees owners a profit if they buy clubs like us.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

read the posts from those that know all there is to know about the finances of Sheff Utd.

Probably a good idea if you want to understand what's going on don't you think - unless you like to make up your mind without the facts? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is it just a consequence of the current financial climate or are we now in an era where clubs are going to be changing hands with increasing regularity? Villa, Southampton and now Sheffield United are all clubs who seem to be being bought and sold every 4 or 5 years right now.

28 minutes ago, Badger said:

And if Everton are relegated? 😃

Joking aside, I think we know enough from previous examples that a rich owner doesn't do much to change performance on the pitch. I wouldn't get too worried!

Unless of course you are Newcastle. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Currently have as much silver wear as us in recent times. 

Its only been a few months! 

I have an intense dislike of Sheffield United so my view is probably not balanced.

I very much doubt the new American owners are interested in the long term and I doubt they've ever had gravy on their chips. Sorry, fries. 

8 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Fair comment but Newcastle and Manchester City are a little different in that the people who have bought them are extraordinarily rich. 

Norwich seem to have found a way of fixing themselves into a purgatory between the leagues and outside the view of potential financial suitors. We are an absolutely unique club in our perspective of things it’s very unusual.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Prince Abdullah is reported to have paid £5 million for it according to the Star - but that doesn't sound right to me (I know there was a protracted battle). Hopefully Shef will be along soon to clarify! 😃

@Badger yes the Pauper Prince did pay only £5m for the Blades, but this was more due to a legal **** up on the part of the outgoing owner McCabe.  The latter gambled on the Pauper Prince bringing in more money when they signed a 50:50 ownership deal, so allowed for a clause whereby both parties could on any falling out, buy the other out for a paltry £5m.  This was why when they did fall out it went to a court hearing to decide, McCabe arguing that the legal clause could not be relied on, but the court said the clause was perfectly valid and had to be honoured. The judge basically called McCabe and his legal team idiots for agreeing to the clause!

The other aspect of this is that McCabe still owns part of the land on the outside of the ground, making it virtually impossible to do anything to improve the ground.  He also owns their training complex.  Ironically the club owns the hotel in the corner of the ground, but McCabe's company had the lease to run it.  McCabe in a fit of pique, closed the hotel and has let it run down until the end of his lease.  I believe that has just ended but the club cannot afford the reparations now to allow an agreed new tenant to take up a new lease!  ****ing hotels at grounds hey, who'd have thought they would make money for a football club?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Being sold to one of those 'orrible Furriners so nothing to see here except to sit back and read the posts from those that know all there is to know about the finances of Sheff Utd.

Interesting reaction from their fans. 

For a long time they have been asking for a replacement for the Pauper Prince, but arguing strongly not to go down the route of Citeh, Toon or 'Pool. However the idea of a yank owning them has been, if not exactly welcomed, turned into a cliched joke fest.  They all expect to have to sing the US national anthem before each match, be force fed hot dogs and Budweiser, told to wear half and half scarves and welcome in the visiting tourists from the US.

However none are expecting their financial position to be radically changed as  a result, expecting to see a Burnley type situation where the deal completed will be based on debt so hamstringing their ability to develop their squad. 

Interestingly they have just extended for two years their contract with Billy Sharp, who at 36 will probably not see more than 10 games a season.  I think this deal has either been rushed through before the new owner takes control out of sentiment to Sharp, or indicates the likely route of their future transfer policy.

Mauriss is worth about £5bn, is a Spurs fan (as much as any American can actually be a football fan) and has previously tried to buy Newcastle and Derby. No details yet on how this is to be funded, but ALK (the bunch who bought Burnley) were also previously in discussions and there is another party still involved.

There are plenty of buyers out there - just none we'd want.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

If the new FFP rules (Profit and Sustainability) are passed, I think that we are in a new world. It almost guarantees owners a profit if they buy clubs like us.

Owners have their eyes on more than just the club though, they want property and land investments around that area.  And that's where we fall down.

If we get a few tractors and flatten riverside - knock all those flats down that someone else is making money from, maybe we become more attractive?  Delia stood in a hard hat with her hands out stretched covered in dust, we've hidden all the gear up from our destructive melee.   

"We need a rich investor here, Where are ya?!" 🙂

Edited by Google Bot

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No one wants to buy us or ever will. How many more times do the experts on here have to state it. 

We be the Norwich crew and money is so square,

No-body likes us, no-body wants us but we don't really care.

Half decent players, staying up - these are all for the other birds,

Relegation, relegation, relegation - we love to perform like turds.

OTBC

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

We be the Norwich crew and money is not a thing

We have no riches, we have no cash, yet still the canaries sing,

Decent players, promotions a plenty - success at which other clubs wonder

Look out next season - we'll rip the championship asunder *

OTBC

* IF we are relegated, that is....

22 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

Just now, lake district canary said:

We be the Norwich crew and money is not a thing

We have no riches, we have no cash, yet still the canaries sing,

Decent players, promotions a plenty - success at which other clubs wonder

Look out next season - we'll rip the championship asunder *

OTBC

And then rinse and repeat those two forever more! Awesome!

OTBC

Crazy, stupid football. Serena Williams and Lewis Hamilton investors in one of the parties that wants to buy Chelsea.

Didn't you say you were a Gooner Lewis?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Crazy, stupid football. Serena Williams and Lewis Hamilton investors in one of the parties that wants to buy Chelsea.

Didn't you say you were a Gooner Lewis?

Give it a few more years when local'ish lad George Russell has more money than he knows what to do with and Norwich City might just stumble on an investor that fits the bill.

• Like 1

The words football and investment worry me when used together. Very few people make money out of football the business model dictates you spend the profit on the product to ensure future success. It is essentially a money pit.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Probably a good idea if you want to understand what's going on don't you think - unless you like to make up your mind without the facts? 

Can't see it catching on here 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Give it a few more years when local'ish lad George Russell has more money than he knows what to do with and Norwich City might just stumble on an investor that fits the bill.

Unfortunately he has followed his dad and is a wolves fan

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So was the Sheff Utd owner actively looking to sell, or did this Yank just rock on up with an offer?

Yes, the pauper Prince had no money!  His family got fed up with him "squandering" the cash they leant him so cut him off.  He's not had enough cash to get to matches apparently.  He desperately needs to sell just to pay off some of the cash his family have leant him.

So the Blades have not had any spare cash to play with this season after being relegated even with parachute payments, sacking a manager used all that up.  As I said, they don't even have cash to undertake reparations on the Hotel at their ground despite having a new operator lined up!    

However, this new guy is probably going to do the same as the new Burnley owner, and the club will effectively borrow the cash on his behalf.  BBC Look North have just reported the deal has been negotiated on for at least 6 months, so barring EFL say no, it should be completed before they get promotion back to the EPL. 😲  

• Thanks 1