Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Orient away 24 April 1972

The night our club changed forever. I wasn't allowed to go, it was an evening game and a school night. But I know that @ricardoand @TIL 1010were there, along probably with many more of you. I'd love to hear your memories and a Ricardo match report would be good πŸ’›πŸ’š

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

The night our club changed forever. I wasn't allowed to go, it was an evening game and a school night. But I know that @ricardoand @TIL 1010were there, along probably with many more of you. I'd love to hear your memories and a Ricardo match report would be good πŸ’›πŸ’š

Same for me too, had the radio on with my dad at home, but luckily me & my brother went to the Watford game on the Saturday, rain pouring down so we all ran the length of the pitch to the sheltered end.Β  Norwich City rouges in those days πŸ’›πŸ’š

49 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Same for me too, had the radio on with my dad at home, but luckily me & my brother went to the Watford game on the Saturday, rain pouring down so we all ran the length of the pitch to the sheltered end.Β  Norwich City rouges in those days πŸ’›πŸ’š

I had the radio on too! It was pointless not letting me go because such was the excitement I didn't sleep a wink all night anyway.Β 

If memory serves me right our next evening away kick off was one I did go to. My first ever local derby and it was memorable😊

58 minutes ago, Kathy said:

The Scrimmage did an hour on it last night including yours truly.

Thanks Kathy. Can I find that on a catch up service somewhere?Β 

So much to remember from that night with city fans outnumbering Leyton Orient fans in all four stands. No buying tickets before the game in those days just simply turn up and pay on the night. A slow trip down the old A!! in the late afternoon as it was all heading towards East London through Epping. On the pitch afterwards of course and Epping invaded on the way back with city fans filling all ther pubs. The pub we got into had the landlord unpacking brand new pint mugs from a box lined with straw which resulted in the pint you ended up with having it floating on the top but who cared. I seem to recall i got back in as the milk float was making it's way down my road where i was in lodgings.

• Like 1

A lot of "fans" from other 1st Division London clubs were there that night to check out the Barclay Boys.

I remember leaving the ground and a couple of Orient fans, not dissimilar in attitude to one or two on here who couldn't see that we were happy just to get the win and were crying "We were better than you. We should be up instead of you after tonight". I remember telling one of them they would need a new pitch as most of it was heading back to Norwich.

And Barry Brockes would know the lad who got the penalty spot. Vincent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Β 

And Barry Brockes would know the lad who got the penalty spot. Vincent.

My mind may be playing tricks but i seem to recall many moons ago somebody claiming to have it in their lawn at West Acre Drive Old Catton ?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

My mind may be playing tricks but i seem to recall many moons ago somebody claiming to have it in their lawn at West Acre Drive Old Catton ?

Possibly quite true. Barry and I went to the CNS same year and I remember a picture in the EEN of the boy Vincent who was in our year displaying the penalty spot.

That lawn deserves to go into our Hall of Fame

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Possibly quite true. Barry and I went to the CNS same year and I remember a picture in the EEN of the boy Vincent who was in our year displaying the penalty spot.

That lawn deserves to go into our Hall of Fame

I've got Rusell Allison's original broom somewhere in my shed.Β 

Just the same as when his grandad first used it in the 1920s, only had a couple of replacement handles & heads .....

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thanks Kathy. Can I find that on a catch up service somewhere?Β 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0c2g6mb

I also got some of the penalty spot. I said on the programme I thought someone else out there got some too, so this thread has solved the mystery.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I've got Rusell Allison's original broom somewhere in my shed.Β 

Just the same as when his grandad first used it in the 1920s, only had a couple of replacement handles & heads .....

Did he call it Trigger ?

• Like 1

Whatever happened to Russell's dumper truck ? No fertiliser back in the day as any problems with the pitch was cured with shovel loads of sand chucked about liberally everywhere. πŸ˜‚

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Whatever happened to Russell's dumper truck ? No fertiliser back in the day as any problems with the pitch was cured with shovel loads of sand chucked about liberally everywhere. πŸ˜‚

Maybe Russell used the dumper truck when he took the CR clock into (his) protective custody?

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/carrow-road-clock-is-back-274514

Russell was a miserable old git. We used to go to the reserve games and slide up and down the wooden dividers in the main stand. I never knew what it had to do with him but it drove him nuts.Β 

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Russell's shed at the bottom of his garden in Fitzpatrick Road was an aladdins cave. 😜

Which part of NR was that?

Some debate who had the most interesting collection; Geoffrey (silver-plated boots) or the Allison family (architectural salvage)?!

7 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Which part of NR was that?

Some debate who had the most interesting collection; Geoffrey (silver-plated boots) or the Allison family (architectural salvage)?!

I stand corrected it was Kirkpatrick Road Mile Cross.

4 hours ago, stratton canary said:

I was at Watford , what a great season that was , packed crowds at every home match and an atmosphere that would rock the stands , for me this was the best ever season . We got soaking wet as well and ran the whole length of the pitch to stand in the rookery end , the Watford fans ran out of the stand and we virtually filled that end . I even ended up on the front cover of the EDP celebration pull out , in colour!Β 

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Russell was a miserable old git. We used to go to the reserve games and slide up and down the wooden dividers in the main stand. I never knew what it had to do with him but it drove him nuts.Β 

My Brother installed the security fencing at the ground in the bad old days. He said he was working one day and Russell had put a rope square around one part of the pitch. Arthur South came walking out with someone and stepped over the rope onto the precious area.

My brother said Russell's voice bellowed out from an amplified empty stand, "Are you fcuking blind you stupid cnut? Why do think I roped the fcuking thing off?"

23 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

My Brother installed the security fencing at the ground in the bad old days. He said he was working one day and Russell had put a rope square around one part of the pitch. Arthur South came walking out with someone and stepped over the rope onto the precious area.

My brother said Russell's voice bellowed out from an amplified empty stand, "Are you fcuking blind you stupid cnut? Why do think I roped the fcuking thing off?"

Sadly he spoke like that to 9 year old children. I always smile when I see him venerated by the club. In reality he wasn't a very nice man

I didn't know that about the penalty spot KG or if I did I'd forgotten about it. Played cricket against him forΒ several seasons post CNS days. He played in the same team as Fudge N and Fudge S (sadly departed).