Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

And you wonder why players feign injury.

Yesterday saw Kulusevski given a yellow card for viscously swinging an elbow at Cucurella in the Tottenham Brighton match.

I wonder what card would have been shown if Cucurella had fallen to the ground holding his face (even though it was his chest) and making a meal of the indiscretion.

It should have been red and referees should act accordingly. It is their lack of action which has, in some ways, forced players to act.

The same goes with diving for penalties. When was the last time you saw a player fouled in the box but kept on his feet and was awarded a penalty?

Absolutely no excuse for players feigning injury.

Kulusevski got a yellow (debatable that should indeed have been a red)but for Cucurella to feign a smack in the face to get him a red is definitely not on.

The players acting has more to do with gaining advantage and breaking up play.For me the lack of referees showing cards for feinging injury is equally annoying.Surely the var referee could inform the match official of any discretions by players.

The antics of players has been the one black spot for me during this whole season.Frankly they are disgraceful

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

Absolutely no excuse for players feigning injury.

Kulusevski got a yellow (debatable that should indeed have been a red)but for Cucurella to feign a smack in the face to get him a red is definitely not on.

The players acting has more to do with gaining advantage and breaking up play.For me the lack of referees showing cards for feinging injury is equally annoying.Surely the var referee could inform the match official of any discretions by players.

The antics of players has been the one black spot for me during this whole season.Frankly they are disgraceful

I fully agree with you but if referees made brave, correct decisions players would not feel they had to exaggerate fouls to get the referee to give the decisions incidents warrant.

And I would agree that feigning injury should be punished.

I have thought for a long while that any player falling over unnecessarily, for any reason, should be booked. But players will continue to go to ground until referees give fouls without the players having to fall over.

52 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

But players will continue to go to ground until referees give fouls without the players having to fall over.

And pundits saying if they feel a touch they have the right to go over..... 

Edited by Greavsy
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2022 at 10:49, Yellow Wal said:

Yesterday saw Kulusevski given a yellow card for viscously swinging an elbow at Cucurella in the Tottenham Brighton match.

I wonder what card would have been shown if Cucurella had fallen to the ground holding his face (even though it was his chest) and making a meal of the indiscretion.

It should have been red and referees should act accordingly. It is their lack of action which has, in some ways, forced players to act.

The same goes with diving for penalties. When was the last time you saw a player fouled in the box but kept on his feet and was awarded a penalty?

I agree entirely, fouls are not given if the players do not go to ground, if they did players would try and stay on their feet if they have a chance of scoring.  Personally I wanted VAR to be used to punish divers, punish those with dangerous intent, and reward players who stayed on their feet, instead we have two applications of the rules, those in and around the penalty box and those in the transistion phase from defence to attack.  I quite like the new approach to offside where it only matters in critical moments, and is then analysed factually.

• Like 1

I would change the rules meaning the player fouled has to take the resulting set piece. In the rare event the player cannot take it then a player nominated before the game would take it.

Too many games are decided on set pieces players dive or feign injury to win set pieces. Making the player who wins the set piece take it lessons the advantage gained by winning set pieces. It might encourage players to stay on there feet particularly in the penalty area.

It's some kind of cause and effect loop. Players started off falling over unnecessarily (diving) because they are cheating to try to make a gain, it became so frequent that  referees rarely give fouls unless they fall over because all players fall over for everything - if they didn't fall over, it couldn't possibly be a foul, which means they fall over unnecessarily even more. Repeat.

I'd love to see some serious crack down on cheating, of all kinds. I hate the statement "there was contact". I don't care if there was contact, it's a contact sport. He's allowed to touch him, he's not allowed to foul him.

• Like 1