Sign in to follow this  
jaberry2

OT Dereham

Hi all.

Sorry to ask onĀ  a football forum, but looking at a house just outside of Dereham and would like some of yours opinions on that part of the world. People seem to have strong opinions of Dereham, but no doubt we'll be spending most our time in Norwich anyways. Thanks in advanceĀ 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It has problems with Tiktokkers, but at least you might get Christmas presents from a stranger.

Thank you for this valuable insight.

I grew up in a village outside, itĀ was great place to live. Ā Not sure what you are specifically asking but I have good memories of living there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I grew up in a village outside, itĀ was great place to live. Ā Not sure what you are specifically asking but I have good memories of living there.

Thanks Newtopia. Its just south of Dereham so im sure we would use Dereham for any shops / amenities it has to offer. Any other insight would be appreciated.

Lived in Dereham all my life. Though therefore means can't give much of a balanced view as haven't experienced anything different, but always thought of it as a great place to live - not as hectic or crowded as Norwich but not too far away either and decent access to all areas of Norfolk (particularly love going to the coast, 35mins to Cromer). Plenty of shops (again with Norwich only 20mins away for proper shopping)Ā to satisfy most needs and plenty for kids to do around town (cinema/parks/bowling/swimming).Ā Lots of lovely walks through the countryside and beyond, some nice little restaurants/cafes to have something to eat, and a semi decent football team to watch when the (not so) mighty Canaries aren't playing.

Far enough away from the hustle and bustle of proper urban living but not too far to join in that life when it suits, and FCR only 30mins away on the bus. Being on the A47 and also not far from main roads towards London or up North,Ā Dereham has always felt like an ideal location.

Certainly not perfect, but ive never felt the desire to move away and have always beenĀ very happy and settled in the 'heart of Norfolk'.Ā 

• Like 1

For the size of the town, I always thought Dereham has a good selection of shops, supermarkets etc.Ā 

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

It has a Spoooooooooooons.

A now famous 'John Travolta was 'ere' Spoooooooooons

Lived in Dereham then Gressenhall,Ā  now in wymondham.

Id say as a town Dereham has regressed year on year. Traffic is weirdly annoying when visiting the wife's parents in Toftwood. Lots of supermarkets though.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Thanks Newtopia. Its just south of Dereham so im sure we would use Dereham for any shops / amenities it has to offer. Any other insight would be appreciated.

It has better shopping and facilities than most small (18k residents)Ā UK towns, even cinema,Ā  local theatre group, and bowling.Ā  Ā I would happily live there again.Ā  One downside for me is how far it is from Norwich, it is far enough away to be barrier to going in regularly for an evening out, but that depends on your stage of life I suspect.

Just now, hogesar said:

Lived in Dereham then Gressenhall,Ā  now in wymondham.

Id say as a town Dereham has regressed year on year. Traffic is weirdly annoying when visiting the wife's parents in Toftwood. Lots of supermarkets though.

Played football v Gressenhall a few times, terrible pitch if memory serves many a molehill including 1 on the penalty spot and the ref wouldn't let me place the ball to the side despite the massive hole created once I destroyed said molehill...... Needless to say I blasted the penalty over šŸ˜

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Played football v Gressenhall a few times, terrible pitch if memory serves many a molehill including 1 on the penalty spot and the ref wouldn't let me place the ball to the side despite the massive hole created once I destroyed said molehill...... Needless to say I blasted the penalty over šŸ˜

Yes, not exactly a flat pitch either šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

• Haha 1

Personally I think there are nicer places but if youā€™re going to be outside Dereham then itā€™s ok I guess, everything you need will be at Tesco.

Dereham has an excellent football team,currently near the top in the Isthmian League. Well worth a look.Ā 

Otherwise it's much the same as the rest of Norfolk.Ā 

6 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Thank you for this valuable insight.

You're welcome.Ā 

On a serious note though, I grew up not far away, and whilst it's impossible to give a decent answer without knowing your age, circumstances etc., I don't see anything wrong with Dereham. As has been said, there are plenty of amenities for a town that size, compared to other (admittedly smaller) towns in the vicinity like Swaffham, Watton and Fakenham. There are far worse places to live.

4 hours ago, Donā€™t be Krul said:

Was he balls

?

Filming in Suffolk a film based on a Frederick forsyth book. Visited Fakenham Morrisons, Derehams Spoons and some restaurant in Norwich. Has been all over the media. The seat at spoons is already quite the tourist attraction šŸ˜

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It has problems with Tiktokkers, but at least you might get Christmas presents from a stranger.

Surely he has moved to the south coastā€¦ā€¦.

8 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

?

Filming in Suffolk a film based on a Frederick forsyth book. Visited Fakenham Morrisons, Derehams Spoons and some restaurant in Norwich. Has been all over the media. The seat at spoons is already quite the tourist attraction šŸ˜

And you believe all that old tosh? Why on earth would he visit Morrisons in Fakenham and a spoons in Dereham if filming in Suffolk. Also he allegedly visited Erpingham House in Norwich and ate from the Vegan menu, being a Vegan. But a Morrisons employee will tell you he was there buying steak mince to make burgers for him and his son. Complete and utter load of balls, I reckon its an April Fools joke taken too far

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Donā€™t be Krul said:

And you believe all that old tosh? Why on earth would he visit Morrisons in Fakenham and a spoons in Dereham if filming in Suffolk. Also he allegedly visited Erpingham House in Norwich and ate from the Vegan menu, being a Vegan. But a Morrisons employee will tell you he was there buying steak mince to make burgers for him and his son. Complete and utter load of balls, I reckon its an April Fools joke taken too far

And the moon landings never happened and the Earth is flat.Ā 

The in-laws live in Westfield, a very quiet part of the world, but only 5 minutes from Dereham and 30 from Norwich. Seems a nice part of Norfolk.Ā 

57 minutes ago, Donā€™t be Krul said:

Wow.

You're right, it's ridiculous. Dereham and Fakenham must have been cooking up this story for years, they just needed the credibility of Erpingham house to join their conspiracy and boom, there it is. A story to rival the great literary visionaries. A famous man visits restaurant. He also goes shopping. Then he goes and eats food again! The audacity of these separate establishments, trying to pull the wool over our eyes. They probably think we believed the local papers that told us Stephen Fry got married in Dereham... ha ha, as if!

No one who has any ounce of credibility in the entertainment industry would come to these backward towns. That they've clearly fabricated it all and also got actors to claim Travolta 'signed a pack of sausage rolls' is laughable. The photo from inside The Romany Rye? You can see the green screen people!

Well done for fooling me for a moment, but not now. I've seen the light. I've been educated. I have a new way of thinking and living my life. Don't believe anyone, ever. Particularly don't believe any old frivolous fluff that really has no reason to be made up - thats the most dangerous of all lies. We don't know why yet, but we will find out, and when we do, it will be too late for all of us.Ā 

14 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Personally I think there are nicer places but if youā€™re going to be outside Dereham then itā€™s ok I guess, everything you need will be at Tesco.

No M&S Foodhall ?

Went there to view a house. Got stuck in traffic for half an hour. Did not return to Dereham.Ā 

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

Went there to view a house. Got stuck in traffic for half an hour. Did not return to Dereham.Ā 

And Dereham thanks you.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

I went to Dereham once....and it was closed.....

Dereham heard you coming

Gressenhall Museum is absolutely brilliant if you like that sort of thing and would be on your doorstep. Not a huge fan of the town centre but the surrounding area is great.

22 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Hi all.

Sorry to ask onĀ  a football forum, but looking at a house just outside of Dereham and would like some of yours opinions on that part of the world. People seem to have strong opinions of Dereham, but no doubt we'll be spending most our time in Norwich anyways. Thanks in advanceĀ 

Where are you moving from Jaberry?

Personally, I feel if you are moving south of Dereham it gives you a short journey to Wymondham which is also very nice. Not being a native to Norfolk though, having lived here for most of my life, off and on, I can say without fear of contradiction that this is a superb county to live in and there are some places whichĀ are absolute gems.

Good luck

3 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

And Dereham thanks you.

Ā 

Dereham heard you coming

....and they point at the sky and wail uncontrollably as a plane flies over.....