Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

This squad needs a scalpel not an axe this summer

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

While I think we definitely need that striker my concern is who can we afford who is genuine competition for Pukki and also prepared to potentially sit on the bench a lot if we play one striker. That’s a tough acquisition in the Championship.

If we are going to play 442 more or that Striker can play wide it gets a bit easier but I think we need that bigger athletic guy to complement Pukki and offer a different option, a Hugill upgrade basically, and they generally want to play through the middle.

It is a dilemma, and probably was in the last summer window. But a year on I think it is a problem they need to solve.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Be controversial here but IF rumours of Krul being on £70k pw are true then should an offer come in for him I would sell and use those wages elsewhere. Even IF he is on the standard 50% reduction that's £35k p w that would easily fund a decent goalscorer from lower league / abroad + possibly even paying some / most of the wages of a CDM we so desperately need. We simply don't need a PL standard keeper in the Championship when we have a perfectly capable deputy at that level (proven) ...........'in the building'. There are more crucial areas of the team that need improving. 

Many are saying that in Pukki, Idah, Hugill and Sargent we are perfectly ok upfront. I have my doubts. Hugill's record at two different clubs this season is disgraceful considering what we paid for him. Why would he suddenly start scoring loads for us??  I desperately want the boy Idah to come good but with him we are STILL just talking about 'potential'! That leaves Sargent and, again, there is little evidence he will return 10 - 15 goals next season if that 'effort' (putting it politely) v Brighton is the standard he produces in front of an open net! 

Seen us being linked to a new keeper couple of times now. Schalke's Martin Fraisl. Out of contract this summer. If Krul gets a good offer, say a PSV where he has been recently linked I wouldn't blame him for wanting that move. 

57 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He has been injured - was out for quite a long time with it. He's back for them now and started last Saturday. (I've no real idea whether he's good enough, but Coventry fans seemed to like him last season). 

I looked on Transfermarkt which didn’t show him as being injured for that period but I did wonder!

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is a dilemma, and probably was in the last summer window. But a year on I think it is a problem they need to solve.

First question will be if Pukki stays.

Then the next question will be if any of the other candidates we have on our books currently are believed to be capable of progressing to push him for a starting place OR they aren't.

If they aren't, and the belief is we need another player with much more immediate promise to share the load or to be a genuine alternative to Pukki, then what happens to Hugill, Idah and possibly Sargent?

Sargent and Idah can, and have, play wider. The issue is less that but more a case of both will need gametime next season if they are to improve. Whilst Idah might be loaned out, I can't see Webber being too happy to see an £8m signing not given the chance to return his value unless they can get most of that back in a sale.

If Hugill goes, I can perhaps see another striker brought in. Four isn't a bad number to have around at championship level, though again, you don't want 21/22yr olds kicking about not getting game time and progressing their careers and therefore values.

In all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me to stick with what we have unless Smith thinks one of the younger players isn't going to cut it for us at all.

18 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Rupp is another one who has alot of qualities especially for the championship but his injury record isn't great, doesnt stay fit for long enough.

Annoying isn't it. Looks so good when he is fit and he's more than good enough for the Championship 

29 minutes ago, Indy said:

I was under the impression that this isn’t Smiths squad, they’re all ****e and needs a couple windows to get rid and bring in his players! 😉💚💛

I always find this statement a bit odd.

Do you think the guy at Chelsea might want to bring in his own players despite the fact they are having a great season with the players he inherited from Jose.

Its not so much the players as the system and style that makes the difference

Just now, Grumpy said:

I always find this statement a bit odd.

Do you think the guy at Chelsea might want to bring in his own players despite the fact they are having a great season with the players he inherited from Jose.

Its not so much the players as the system and style that makes the difference

Exactly I was being pedantic to all those going on about the players being ****e, since Smith came in, this shows that the right set up and the right belief theses players in our squad are decent enough. We’ll see next year who’s left, not sure many will be going as I can’t see anyone buying Hugill, Cantwell or any the others. Aarons at a cut price, Pukki if he gets the right offer and the same for Krull.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

Seen us being linked to a new keeper couple of times now. Schalke's Martin Fraisl. Out of contract this summer. If Krul gets a good offer, say a PSV where he has been recently linked I wouldn't blame him for wanting that move. 

WTF did we spend all that money on Gunn for then if he's only seen as a permanent No. 2!! Looked up this Fraisl guy and he seems a bit full of himself which is never a had thing for a keeper mind. Reckons he's got the body of an 18 year old.............'and this has been proven by the medical department'!! Yeah of course it has. Anyway he's strongly tipped to end up at Ibrox. 

I think 2 ball winning CM's, one tall, fast box to box midfielder and a second striker/goal scoring no.10 and we're good to be honest, maybe another young player on loan at LB is McCallum isn't ready. If Aarons goes we have two young FB's who can cover Byram, if Rashica goes we have Tzolis who should be good enough at that level etc.

But I think we should aim high with these 4 signings, get players in who could make the step up and give them decent wages/push the boat out to buy them, There's no point in us signing more 2-5m too good for the Championship iffy at PL level players because we have enough of those, we need quality to fill these gaps in the squad and our Championship level midfield this year for me has been the biggest factor in why we're going down, fix that next year and let all of this years signings develop and we could make a good go of it next time we get promoted

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Having spent £60m last summer I'm rather doubtful about us having no need to sell, but I'm still convinced Aarons and Cantwell will go whatever the case. I would also consider getting rid of Oxborough, Bushiri, Sinani, Hernandez and Soto. I'm unsure about getting rid of Hugill, as I think Pukki probably only has 2 seasons left and don't think the likes of Omotoye and Dickson-Peters are ready for the Championship yet. Although like TheGunnShow has said, we might see some positional changes, as we might have a lot of attacking midfielders/wingers this summer if the likes of Cantwell, Hernandez and Sinani aren't sold

Lots of people seem to think Rashica will go. I'm not saying he will stay but considering we only signed him last summer I think we should manage to keep him for another season but lose him if we fail to go straight back up. Giannoulis was another. I'm aware he  has had an unhappy season, as he was probably really looking forward to it last summer then finding Williams being signed on loan and taking first choice from him. I think he will be willing to stay though, as I'm sure he's convinced he'll be first choice next season, and possibly if we go straight back up as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I have my doubts. Hugill's record at two different clubs this season is disgraceful considering what we paid for him. Why would he suddenly start scoring loads for us?? 

From Cardiff message board:

Jordan Hugill

Has, on the whole, been impressive for the Bluebirds since joining at the end of January. Has netted four goals since his arrival and has added an injection of physicality up front. Many would like to see him back next season, but Norwich's plans for him remain uncertain.

Verdict: If there's any chance of it happening, he'd be a decent player to keep around?? A fee and high wages, so its not likely :cry:

He might not be first choice but would be a good back-up option. Depends upon whether they have their eye on anyone else.

45 minutes ago, Badger said:

From Cardiff message board:

Jordan Hugill

Has, on the whole, been impressive for the Bluebirds since joining at the end of January. Has netted four goals since his arrival and has added an injection of physicality up front. Many would like to see him back next season, but Norwich's plans for him remain uncertain.

Verdict: If there's any chance of it happening, he'd be a decent player to keep around?? A fee and high wages, so its not likely :cry:

He might not be first choice but would be a good back-up option. Depends upon whether they have their eye on anyone else.

Not good enough for us, suits a more direct side, like Cardiff.

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Having spent £60m last summer I'm rather doubtful about us having no need to sell, but I'm still convinced Aarons and Cantwell will go whatever the case. I would also consider getting rid of Oxborough, Bushiri, Sinani, Hernandez and Soto. I'm unsure about getting rid of Hugill, as I think Pukki probably only has 2 seasons left and don't think the likes of Omotoye and Dickson-Peters are ready for the Championship yet. Although like TheGunnShow has said, we might see some positional changes, as we might have a lot of attacking midfielders/wingers this summer if the likes of Cantwell, Hernandez and Sinani aren't sold

Lots of people seem to think Rashica will go. I'm not saying he will stay but considering we only signed him last summer I think we should manage to keep him for another season but lose him if we fail to go straight back up. Giannoulis was another. I'm aware he  has had an unhappy season, as he was probably really looking forward to it last summer then finding Williams being signed on loan and taking first choice from him. I think he will be willing to stay though, as I'm sure he's convinced he'll be first choice next season, and possibly if we go straight back up as well

I hope we get rid of the fringe players, we need players to push us forward now. We know the likes of Hugill and Hernandez weren't good enough last time out. Both had loans cut short at teams pushing top 6 and ended up on loan at teams battling near the bottom instead.

Mclean is one i am unsure about a championship midfielder who can do a job in champs 

BUT i feel  if we could sell him i would straight away and buy someone who has more potential who we can build a midfield around for the future 

to be fair he had a good game yesterday but for me we need stronger faster more energy in midfield 

• Like 1

If it were me....

GK - Krul / Gunn
DR - Byram / Mumba
DL - Dimi / McCallum
DC - Hanley / Gibson
DC - Andy Omo / Zimm
DMC - ? / Sorenson
MC - ? / Rupp
MC - PLM / McLean
AMR - Rashica / Rowe
AML - Dowell / Placheta
SC - Pukki / Idah 

Leaving Aarons, Sargent, Tzolis, Onel, Cantwell and Hugill as capable of being sold to raise a few £££. Aarons the only one from that list who should be sold because he's probably earnt himself a move away and only if a Premier League side comes in with £25m or more. 

I would then try and sign John Swift from Reading for the MC position (I think he's out of contract - might be wrong) and Max Bird from Derby as the DMC, who from my admittedly limited knowledge of him appears to be a mini-Skipp - and I think that's a squad ready to go. 

Oh and for me, Krul, Hanley, Omo and Pukki are the only ones I wouldn't sell for love nor money. Which might be a problem, I can imagine Krul may want a move to a top Eredivisie side to further his World Cup hopes, which must be his last chance of featuring in a world cup in his career as a player.  

47 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Mclean is one i am unsure about a championship midfielder who can do a job in champs 

BUT i feel  if we could sell him i would straight away and buy someone who has more potential who we can build a midfield around for the future 

to be fair he had a good game yesterday but for me we need stronger faster more energy in midfield 

I've made my feelings clear on McLean. While we are in the Champ, he should be in the squad. Sold only if we receive an offer we can't really refuse because experience is invaluable, and he's a two time Championship winner. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

I agree that wholesale changes are not needed this summer, but i also dont think this squad is good enough for a top 2 finish next season, both quality wise and mentally;  we have a serious lack of leaders in the squad! My serious concern is that our squad has been getting weaker for 3 consecutive seasons. I unfortunately suspect that trend will continue into next season. We know Webber is happy to cash in on assets and try to rebuild (I bet he loved football manager!), my big concern is this could be Krul, Rashica and Pukki who are used to generate funds as i am really not sure who else may be wanted. 

We’re going down, let’s see who leaves and who comes in during the summer. Maybe Webber will be back on the scene to add more clarity to the situation at some point. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If it were me....

GK - Krul / Gunn
DR - Byram / Mumba
DL - Dimi / McCallum
DC - Hanley / Gibson
DC - Andy Omo / Zimm
DMC - ? / Sorenson
MC - ? / Rupp
MC - PLM / McLean
AMR - Rashica / Rowe
AML - Dowell / Placheta
SC - Pukki / Idah 

Leaving Aarons, Sargent, Tzolis, Onel, Cantwell and Hugill as capable of being sold to raise a few £££. Aarons the only one from that list who should be sold because he's probably earnt himself a move away and only if a Premier League side comes in with £25m or more. 

I would then try and sign John Swift from Reading for the MC position (I think he's out of contract - might be wrong) and Max Bird from Derby as the DMC, who from my admittedly limited knowledge of him appears to be a mini-Skipp - and I think that's a squad ready to go. 

Not

32 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I agree that wholesale changes are not needed this summer, but i also dont think this squad is good enough for a top 2 finish next season, both quality wise and mentally;  we have a serious lack of leaders in the squad! My serious concern is that our squad has been getting weaker for 3 consecutive seasons. I unfortunately suspect that trend will continue into next season. We know Webber is happy to cash in on assets and try to rebuild (I bet he loved football manager!), my big concern is this could be Krul, Rashica and Pukki who are used to generate funds as i am really not sure who else may be wanted. 

Not sure who gonna who's gonna pay 25 million for max , he's had a poor season if you ask me , 😚

This will be an interesting season because there are a number of players where this is make or break for them.

Idah - has had good games, now he needs a good season. This is the age now to step up.

Omobamidele - same. If not now then when?

Byram - needs to show he can be fit for a season 

Sorenson - If not now then when?

Tzolis - Young, needed time but I’m sure there is a player. With more time and less pressure, we need to see it.

Sargant - The same

McCallum - been here a few seasons but needs to breakthrough now

Cantwell - he’s had a break, he’s had time to reflect. Bournemouth don’t look too keen, the grass wasn’t greener. Big season or end of top career ambitions?

If most of these players rise to the challenge it’s a formidable team, if not then we’ll do a West Brom.

• Like 2

Good OP.

I can see some of the fringe players who've been on loan finally being sold as clubs start to recover from Covid losses below the Premier League.

I also think one or two young players will make an impact. Rowe for one, and likely another one too.

Fundamentally, we should focus any budget on a Striker who we think could influence at Premier League level (probably the hardest to sign and the chances of getting it right are slim, but we have to try).

That and a pure defensive midfielder, which we don't have in our squad at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If it were me....

GK - Krul / Gunn
DR - Byram / Mumba
DL - Dimi / McCallum
DC - Hanley / Gibson
DC - Andy Omo / Zimm
DMC - ? / Sorenson
MC - ? / Rupp
MC - PLM / McLean
AMR - Rashica / Rowe
AML - Dowell / Placheta
SC - Pukki / Idah 

Are we limited to avians?!🤩

• Haha 2

The challenge is going to be can we pick up a couple of players this season who are not only good enough for the top end of the Championship but also have the potential to step up in the Premier League. 

We need to looking for players who have the long term ability to step in above the likes of McLean, Gibson, Rupp etc. No easy ask.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

The challenge is going to be can we pick up a couple of players this season who are not only good enough for the top end of the Championship but also have the potential to step up in the Premier League. 

We need to looking for players who have the long term ability to step in above the likes of McLean, Gibson, Rupp etc. No easy ask.

No more loans with out a fee agreed please. We filled the midfield problem with Skipp but then couldn't fill the Skipp problem 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Monty13 said:

While I think we definitely need that striker my concern is who can we afford who is genuine competition for Pukki and also prepared to potentially sit on the bench a lot if we play one striker. That’s a tough acquisition in the Championship.

If we are going to play 442 more or that Striker can play wide it gets a bit easier but I think we need that bigger athletic guy to complement Pukki and offer a different option, a Hugill upgrade basically, and they generally want to play through the middle.

Jonson Clarke-Harris

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Are we limited to avians?!🤩

Shall we go back and get Erik Fuglestad for a laugh then? (Apparently his surname means "place of birds" in Norwegian)

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Good OP.

I can see some of the fringe players who've been on loan finally being sold as clubs start to recover from Covid losses below the Premier League.

I also think one or two young players will make an impact. Rowe for one, and likely another one too.

Fundamentally, we should focus any budget on a Striker who we think could influence at Premier League level (probably the hardest to sign and the chances of getting it right are slim, but we have to try).

That and a pure defensive midfielder, which we don't have in our squad at the moment.

Exactly this with the same in midfield with Mclean outgoing

very hard as you say Hogesar ,but if you can get a Striker who can develop into a PL player and a Midfielder who can also provide more strentgh and pace than Mclean and the step up to PL then we would have a Great team not just for the champs but future also with another season on Rowe and Andy omo 

is it Possible yes but we have to have a lot of luck also 

• Like 1

Looking around the squad, I see good strikers and wide players - any combination of three of Rashica/Sargent/Pukki/Idah/Tzolis/Placheta - all of which should be able to do a job in the championship if we go down. Room for one or two more, maybe, but a good selection there - and I do think Sargent and Tzolis will probve their worth next season.

Plenty of good midfielders and none need to go imo.  Defensively we are strong too.  In short this squad is good enough as it is. One or two will inevitably leave and one or two will come in, but overall it looks good....they have to improve and get a winning mentality back, but if they do that, should be ok.

On the subject of Cantwell, we don't need him, just get what we have now fit, fired up and motivated and whatever division we are in, we can give it a good go.

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Looking around the squad, I see good strikers and wide players - any combination of three of Rashica/Sargent/Pukki/Idah/Tzolis/Placheta - all of which should be able to do a job in the championship if we go down. Room for one or two more, maybe, but a good selection there - and I do think Sargent and Tzolis will probve their worth next season.

Plenty of good midfielders and none need to go imo.  Defensively we are strong too.  In short this squad is good enough as it is. One or two will inevitably leave and one or two will come in, but overall it looks good....they have to improve and get a winning mentality back, but if they do that, should be ok.

On the subject of Cantwell, we don't need him, just get what we have now fit, fired up and motivated and whatever division we are in, we can give it a good go.

Surely they should have proved their worth this season? Fat waste of £18M it looks like so far!