Sign in to follow this  
soton_canary

Annoying protests

Hi guys

This might be controversial and provoke a hammering from many of you but I felt I had to get it off my chest. I''ve read this board for many years now but have never posted but I felt I could no longer bite my tongue.

Like most of you I am not happy with the way this season has gone, however I am not too sure whether sacking worthy is the right thing to do although it is clear something is wrong. Football like most things is full of what if''s and hindsight and that will always be the case. Sacking worthy could work it could not.

The one thing that is really annoying me though is the constant protesting. Yes everybody is entitled to freedom of speech and to express their opinion, but to keep forcing the issue is so tiredsome. You are not just expressing your opinion you are trying to force your opinion on everybody else and make what you want happen, just like spoiled brats. You have made your point, your side of the argument and opinions are clear and have been noted, surely. It is evident however that there will be no change in personnell in the foreseeable future and the constant protests and barracking are causing a huge divide and ill feeling between fans who ultimately all want the same thing, the best for NCFC. I used to love matchdays, the singing and the atmosphere, all major factors in me breaking the bank to watch my beloved Norwich week in and week when as a student I can''t really afford it. Now it is horrible, there is little supporting of the team and we are giving a great advantage to opposition teams.

My main point is that yes it is very fustrating the situation we are in, and it is good that everybody expresses their opinions, but the protests should cease for a while at least, maybe until just before the end of the season. Your views are known and now you are just boring and annoying and ruining what used to be a nice atmosphere. How about a KTFer''s rally with worthy in chants every week?! I feel that we should be supporting the team (and that includes the manager) to the full, if he really isn''t right for us then surely he won''t last much longer?!

By the way i''m neither a KTFer or worthy outer. I wouldn''t have the balls to make the decision either way if I ran the club and can''t make my mind up on the matter, however I will wholeheartedly support the club forever. I think everybody''s expectations are too high, yes mistakes have been made but thats football. Many teams take a year or so to readapt to the champ.

Anyway sorry fotr the long post, and may the hammering commence!

I take your point soton, however the board have made it absolutely clear that Nigel Worthington will NOT be sacked. (barring relegation).

Therefore as fans if we beleive he has done all he can for the club the only way we can ram home this point is to demonstrate, organise protests, write to the chairman, petition, boycott and the like to get our point across. In essence try to make his position untenable.  Now the season is over and the play-offs are gone there is no worry about affecting the teams performance, altho I doubt they could play any worse than they have done this season anyway.

"Your views are known and now you are just boring and annoying and ruining what used to be a nice atmosphere".

Funny, that''s just what I think about Worthington''s management. As you don''t come to the games, I''ll put it down to ignorance, but what is really spoiling the atmosphere is the rubbish that is being served up on the pitch week after week. How would you feel travelling for hours to places like Preston and Reading, only to see a gutless performance under inept management. "Never mind, the manager''s doing his best". Cretin.  

"How about a KTFer''s rally with worthy in chants every week?!"

Now, that, I''d love to see. Just like a renditon or two of ''Worthington''s Green Army'' at matches. Oh, surprise, surprise, it''s not happening! Come on, KTF''s, Let''s Be Aving You!  

WORTHY OUT!

"How about a KTFer''s rally with worthy in chants every week?!"

Or how about (the people who actually want Worthy to stay) making some noise and atmosphere in the ground?  This is what I don''t understand, if there is say a 50-50 split in opinion why are the Worthy supporters not making themselves heard at the ground?  I sit near some KTF''s and they chant and sing far less than I do.

Link - you always write great posts and I agree with what you say but we need to now take stock.

The public meeting was a great success as was the pre match protest. What has characterised our campaign so far is the largely constructive, well managed and good natured behaviour. The vitriol has come from some of those who have a different view who have called us ''idiots, tools, fools, disloyal, Ipswich supporting wind up merchant''s and other terms not fit for public publication!.

However, the last thing we can afford to do is lose a lot of the general support that the campaign has amongst Norwich fans. There are some people now calling for a truce or temporary end to the protests (Soton Canary) on this thread and Mike Shenston on Rodeo Norfolk this morning. IMO they have a point. We have made a hell of a lot of progress in the last week. We MAY earn a lot more respect if we call a temporary halt to PUBLIC protests whilst carrying on our lobbying of the club via emails and letters. One of the ideas at the meeting was for volunteers to organise a petition at a home match, that could be very effective. I am certainly not recommending closing down the website, throwing banners or stickers away but maybe we should leave them now for a major last home match progress at the Wolves game?

There was a novelty factor to Saturdays march. If they are organised for remaining home matches, there is a real risk that numbers will drop off (especially if a few results / performances pick up - precious little sign of that I agree).       

A protest campaign is fine and I am right behind it in principle but we MUST always be reviewing our options and the strategy  we follow. We need to be flexible and innovative but always doing our damn best to retain the widespread support that this campaign has amongst most City fans. You can ''over protest''.

I''m unsure how all this should now move ahead but I am as convinced as ever that the Board show precious little sign of removing their heads from the sand and performances on the field continue to decline. Worthy OUT is still the aim, it must be but how best to achieve that now requires some cool heads and a great deal of thought.   

YR, I thought about the petition idea, but I have visions of some pro-Worthy numpty (like that ''lady'' spitting abuse at the protesters) ripping up the petition, followed by pushing and shoving and a quick degeneration into a mess.

I can see where you''re coming from regarding the protests. I think that a lot will depend upon the next two or three performances (not merely the results). However, there is a saying that ''the squeaky wheel gets the grease''. So maybe that''s are only powerful option, although all ideas should be exploited.

My main fear is that those with their head in the sand, as you put it, may think that the horrid thing has gone away if we don''t keep up the pressure.

guys, i think the whole thought process on whether or not to stop protesting will have everything to do with what happens at Elland Road on Saturday.

After watching the Ipswich & listening to the Palace games i finally sucumbed to human instict to want to blame someone and became a worthy outer.

I couldnt make the stoke game but after seeing the protests on tv my first feeling was embarasment. This is not the image of our club that i wish to be transmitted to the nation.

Aftre the succes that Worthy has helped bring to the club in the past I still feel he deserves better.  He is a decent man and has behaved with impecable dignity througout this difficult season.

Never does he moan and rant like other managers such as mourinho, allardyce and warnock compared to this lot give me worthy anyday.

The team while not playing particularly well play with honesty & integrity and good discipline i believe this is just as important as results.

So thanks to the protests i am firmly back in the KTF camp!

The outers still havnt come up with any decent suggestions regarding an alternative anyway, stringer & crook are the latest, however this is stuff of fairy tales. We need a modern and experienced manager to get us back on track being former heroes is not necesarily a qualification.....I would take Steve Bruce tho!!

[quote user="Sir Daz"]

After watching the Ipswich & listening to the Palace games i finally sucumbed to human instict to want to blame someone and became a worthy outer.

I couldnt make the stoke game but after seeing the protests on tv my first feeling was embarasment. This is not the image of our club that i wish to be transmitted to the nation.

Aftre the succes that Worthy has helped bring to the club in the past I still feel he deserves better.  He is a decent man and has behaved with impecable dignity througout this difficult season.

Never does he moan and rant like other managers such as mourinho, allardyce and warnock compared to this lot give me worthy anyday.

The team while not playing particularly well play with honesty & integrity and good discipline i believe this is just as important as results.

So thanks to the protests i am firmly back in the KTF camp!

The outers still havnt come up with any decent suggestions regarding an alternative anyway, stringer & crook are the latest, however this is stuff of fairy tales. We need a modern and experienced manager to get us back on track being former heroes is not necesarily a qualification.....I would take Steve Bruce tho!!

[/quote]

obviously you dont go to away games if you are talking about playing with honesty and integrity.... hell nor do I, I am just passing a response to the same point on another website...

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

YR, I thought about the petition idea, but I have visions of some pro-Worthy numpty (like that ''lady'' spitting abuse at the protesters) ripping up the petition, followed by pushing and shoving and a quick degeneration into a mess.

I can see where you''re coming from regarding the protests. I think that a lot will depend upon the next two or three performances (not merely the results). However, there is a saying that ''the squeaky wheel gets the grease''. So maybe that''s are only powerful option, although all ideas should be exploited.

My main fear is that those with their head in the sand, as you put it, may think that the horrid thing has gone away if we don''t keep up the pressure.

[/quote]The problem is that I fear this has all been organised poorly.It started at the beggining of the season when people were all doom and gloom about this season after being relegated. Is it any surprise that the one thing the team has lacked this season is the belief on the pitch?Their job is to keep us happy by getting the results we need - but even when they fight out wins now people are still on their case. It may well not be pretty and we may have seen them play better but 10th is not as bad as it seems with a good few games left yet to improve on that.Because a lot of this underlying, and it has been underlying, mood throughout the beggining of the season was made by the same section of the support that belittle players and refuse to support players that are having a bad game etc the club has turned a deaf ear on them.Unfortunately whilst the official figures of fans at protests remains reletively small nothing will happen. The club will wait untill the close season when the true strength of the mood will be seen when people don''t just go with the flow or happen to be trying to get past etc etc.I think a petition is the only way to go - at least that way the figure is more accurate and the message more clear. However it is paramount that it is done correctly making sure people don''t sign more than once, or sign for anyone but themselves. Get their age as well because I think its important that the demographic is also visableWhen constructing and argument you need something solid. The protest is fine but when some of those that try to make themselves most audible are the same minority that have never supported Worthington or never supported Henderson for example - why should anyone listen to them? The boy who cried wolf comes to mind!Basicaly the supporters group needs to decide which side of the fence it sits. Because at the moment Mr Blower says one thing and someone else in the group says another. They need to decide whether they will organise these things properly or just allow everything to fall to pieces.I personally think the close season will determine more. Whilst the atmosphere and support is lost at home games who can be blamed for the drive and belief of the players?It sounds mad but what we really need to do is create a chant that both drives on the players but also makes it clear to the management that we are unhappy.The protesters need to show the club that their support can win the team matches - then show them that without it the team can loose matches. That way they are more likely to take stock.You need to show them contrast, shock them, change things. One protest is surprising two is frustrating and more are just a nusance. You have tried that tactic - sure keep it going but unless you can get more numbers it is just saying the same thing with the same voices.Personally I would get everyone to give everything they have for one home game - get the atmosphere back, get the noise back, get the spirit back. If the team don''t respond hell even if they do - stay behind afterwards and sing out just as loudly what you feel. It just carries so much more respect to show that you want the club to do well and will support the team but want change.This would be even more apparent if the team lost whilst shown an emense wall of noise to play off - who then could argue it?The game againts Wolves will be a decisive one for many reasons I believe. I think Hoddle is even luckier to still be in the job, and it could be a cruncher depending on how other games go.We have done the instinctive - now its time for the cultured plan of action.

Hi Soton Canary. 

Your points about the protests.  No one is forcing anyone to protest, take part in them or even walk past them.  Unless you exit the ground from the City Stand you can avoid them, even then all the protests I have attended no one was forced to join in.  No one was ridiculed for walking past.  Why should they be.  We are there to make our point about the football (or lack of it), not to recruit reluctant fans to our cause. 

As to the likelihood of an alternative rally for those who think Worthington should stay. We are always being told that the majority of the crowd - in other words, those who don''t protest - are KTFers.  If this is so they seem to be very quiet, and also not too sure of their decisions.....I would gladly attend a KTF rally to see what they had to say and would also expect to have my say against their views and to be listened to... but that is fantasy.. until someone makes it happen.

The atmosphere at the ground is a direct result of us all (of whatever persuasion) having to endure back to back dire, dull football.  If we were playing well and winning, instead of winning and scraping a few points in the bag, then the ground would be a different place. 

The split between fans is of course an unwanted and sad fact of life.  Same as during the Chase Out season.  We all love the club and want the best for it, it''s just that we all have different views on how to achieve those ends.  Until we have resolved the issue it''s not going to be a happy CR.  What would you rather happen, all protests stop, all WO chanting cease, and leave Worthington alone to weave his creative magic and turn the team into a cohesive, creative unit who will take on all teams and prove they can really play football.   I''ve been waiting to see evidence of this and it''s not happening.... Do I expect too much, probably, well as least as much as those fans of Watford, Sheff U and Preston, I won''t mention those penny pinchers down the road then....

As for adapting to the champ, apart from last season, we''ve been here before I think, for a good many years.........

You are not alone Soton. My sentiments exactly. I would add though some of the more outspoken peoples e.g. Links comments seems geared towards a "Civil War" between so called WO''s and KTF''s and when it then resorts to name calling (Cretin) it only makes the aforementioned argument sound like that of a seven year old. Though no offence intended if you are seven!

The one thing that is really annoying me though is the constant protesting. Yes everybody is entitled to freedom of speech and to express their opinion, but to keep forcing the issue is so tiredsome. You are not just expressing your opinion you are trying to force your opinion on everybody else and make what you want happen, just like spoiled brats. You have made your point, your side of the argument and opinions are clear and have been noted, surely. Come on soton, you can''t have it both ways.  either people are entitled

to their freedom of speech or not and given the board seemed until very

recently to paint worthy outers as a vocal minority, its clear the

protests have served to burst this illusion. in life, it takes a lot for people to protest and the fact they are shows a divergence between fan and board opinion, which can only be attributed to a problem in communication.   in short, they''ve either under-estimated the opposition to worthy or chosen to ignore it and hoped that results and performances would bring supporters back on side.  however, the poor performances have continued and now without their concerns being fully adressed, some supporters believe the only way they can make their point is to protest. to reverse you arument, perhaps its the board who are behaving like spoiled brats and forcing their opinion on everybody else.

More self centred rubbish from the rabble. A true fan posts up his thoughts. Thoughts that seem to be held up by the majority and once again he playground response of the rabble is to have you labelled.

In this childish fantasy land you cannot hold the view that you are yet undecided as to whether Worthington should be sacked now, whether he should be sacked in May if things don''t look better or whether you think the board should decide in May with all considerations evaluated, without being abused and labelled Keep the Faith.

A pretty meaningless slogan that expresses nothing other than the stupidity and emptyheaded reasoning that lies behind it.

Many fans have different views. Why not respect those views ?

Why not recognise that your childish squeaking will most likely entrench the boards views ?

With season ticket sales holding steady (up in some places), the playing staff united against you as well as most fans you are not going to achieve anything other than to annoy the genuine fans.

You''ve made your point. Now either have the guts to put your money where your mouth is and go, or shut your gobs and give the rest of us a bit of peace.

Danno - Where in my post did I mention ''Civil War''?? Trying to misquote me for dramatic effect is idiotic. One defintion of ''cretin'' is ''idiot''...ergo!!! (And if you don''t understand that, I''ll find a 7-year-old to explain it).

City 1st - You posted "Thoughts that seem to be held up by the majority ...", and "...most fans are against you..". As our mate Squit would correctly say (when arguing against Worthy Outers) where are your facts? Can you provide evidence to show this majority? Please do so or, to use your eloquent and articulate expression, "shut your gob and give us a bit of peace". And I like this part - "Many fans have different views. Why not respect those views?" What, like you are doing??!! "Emptyheaded", I think you wrote - a classic! 

[quote user="City1st"]More self centred rubbish from the rabble. A true fan posts up his thoughts. Thoughts that seem to be held up by the majority and once again he playground response of the rabble is to have you labelled. In this childish fantasy land you cannot hold the view that you are yet undecided as to whether Worthington should be sacked now, whether he should be sacked in May if things don''t look better or whether you think the board should decide in May with all considerations evaluated, without being abused and labelled Keep the Faith. A pretty meaningless slogan that expresses nothing other than the stupidity and emptyheaded reasoning that lies behind it. Many fans have different views. Why not respect those views ? Why not recognise that your childish squeaking will most likely entrench the boards views ? With season ticket sales holding steady (up in some places), the playing staff united against you as well as most fans you are not going to achieve anything other than to annoy the genuine fans. You''ve made your point. Now either have the guts to put your money where your mouth is and go, or shut your gobs and give the rest of us a bit of peace.[/quote]

Hi there! MadDan clone, MadDan sympathiser, MadDan himself..........Your Quote: "Many fans have different views. Why not respect those views?..........."Hey chum, why don''t you try and practice what you preach, eh?"  

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Danno - Where in my post did I mention ''Civil War''?? Trying to misquote me for dramatic effect is idiotic. One defintion of ''cretin'' is ''idiot''...ergo!!! (And if you don''t understand that, I''ll find a 7-year-old to explain it).

City 1st - You posted "Thoughts that seem to be held up by the majority ...", and "...most fans are against you..". As our mate Squit would correctly say (when arguing against Worthy Outers) where are your facts? Can you provide evidence to show this majority? Please do so or, to use your eloquent and articulate expression, "shut your gob and give us a bit of peace". And I like this part - "Many fans have different views. Why not respect those views?" What, like you are doing??!! "Emptyheaded", I think you wrote - a classic! 

[/quote]

At no point did I say that you said Civil War. Now you''re calling me an idiot. I have no need for dramatic effect within my posts, I try simply to write my opinion without getting overexcited (somehow I can see myself being labelled passionless now, but I''ll wait and see). I am just pointing out that posts calling other posters Cretins and Idiots only makes the poster seem unreasonable and his/her argument less valid.