Bradwell canary

Cantwell on the bench again…..

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

yes like i said he signed a new contract that brought him level with first team 

You said he was on pathetic wages. Again where is the evidence for this statement?

6 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

You said he was on pathetic wages. Again where is the evidence for this statement?

i said he was on low wages then signed a new contract that put him on first team wages ?

Edited by norfolkngood

18 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i said he was on low wages then signed a new contract that put him on first team wages ?

I mixed you up with the person I originally quoted. My mistake.

• Thanks 1

Bournemouth wrapping up auto promo it seems……… without the need for Todd…………….again. 

If his confidence wasn’t shot before surely it’s taking a battering now. To go down a league (which is allegedly beneath your level) and join an already top 2 team, as a ‘creative attacking’ midfielder, to then contribute no goals or assists and be bench warming is probably not what he expected. Be very interesting to see how he reacts to them being promoted. I’d feel a bit weird joining in if it were me. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 05:51, Coneys Knee said:

I know we did, and I get that, but I’d prefer we didn’t give up on a lad who really is one of our own. 

He doesn't see himself as one of ours.

1 hour ago, CowboyCanary said:

He doesn't see himself as one of ours.

When he needs us, he does. Then he tells The Athletic how much it hurts him because we don't believe we are in his heart. Strange how that appeared just after his move to Bournemouth started to look like it wasn't going as well as he expected.

• Like 1

I'd welcome him back in the Summer because now he really does need to prove himself. It's become clear that the issue isn't with us, but closer to home. We may see a very focused, hungry Cantwell in midfield next season... who doesn't want that?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

We may see a very focused, hungry Cantwell in midfield next season... who doesn't want that?

I think everyone would, but to take that step to invest into him next season as a starter is more likely to end up in the opening months of the season being disrupted - It's happened the past two seasons where his head hasn't been right and it's resulted in missing games.

For me he's a confidence player, Not sure he has the grit and determination to dig in and come back from this - at least not with us.  Crowd will get on his back if he doesn't start well, will cause him to sulk, and you're back in that vicious circle.  I'd rather have Onel back, personally.

• Like 2

Gamble to take him on again and this time next year he’s free to go anyway…. Expect they will be looking to sell him in the summer and get something at least…. 

If we don’t sell it’s up to Todd to prove his worth but another season not playing could destroy his career…

Hope he gets off social media and knuckles down!   

Parker's interview today doesn't indicate that he is keen to make the deal permanent, as in he needs to show more for that to happen. 

I can see someone taking a punt at £5m or so but I suspect our chances of more are remote. 

27 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Gamble to take him on again and this time next year he’s free to go anyway…. Expect they will be looking to sell him in the summer and get something at least…. 
If we don’t sell it’s up to Todd to prove his worth but another season not playing could destroy his career…

Hope he gets off social media and knuckles down!   

There is no doubt he was part of the reason Farke was sacked.  Poor results was a big factor of course, but player unrest was clearly part of it and the Cantwell/Gilmour hype - two players who expected to be in the team - was a problem to the togetherness of the squad, all of which undermined Farke - and in hindsight it can be seen that Farke was absolutely right about them.  

As a result I do not want him back.  I've always thought the "one of or own" stuff is a bit naff, yes it's great if a local youngster comes through, but not if they cause problems. Cantwell has had problems at Norwichand needs to develop his career elsewhere imo, wherever that may be. Too much baggage goes along with him for him to be anything other than a distraction here - and I'm probably not alone in thinking he was part of the reason for this season's problems. Needs to move on.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There is no doubt he was part of the reason Farke was sacked.  Poor results was a big factor of course, but player unrest was clearly part of it and the Cantwell/Gilmour hype - two players who expected to be in the team - was a problem to the togetherness of the squad, all of which undermined Farke - and in hindsight it can be seen that Farke was absolutely right about them.  

As a result I do not want him back.  I've always thought the "one of or own" stuff is a bit naff, yes it's great if a local youngster comes through, but not if they cause problems. Cantwell has had problems at Norwichand needs to develop his career elsewhere imo, wherever that may be. Too much baggage goes along with him for him to be anything other than a distraction here - and I'm probably not alone in thinking he was part of the reason for this season's problems. Needs to move on.

I did say that in all likelihood he has been signed to move him on and recover some cash. The fact is they have extended his contract so when you say you don’t want him back, it is far too late anyway.    If they don’t / can’t move him on, they’ve just committed to paying him for the season so what’s the option?    Waste the money or reintegrate?

He sure has got less chance of producing if fans don’t get off his back and that would be a shame!   

' needs to be consistent in his behaviours ' to me reads that he took his questionable attitude with him down to the south coast if that quote attributed to Parker is to be taken at face value.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

' needs to be consistent in his behaviours ' to me reads that he took his questionable attitude with him down to the south coast if that quote attributed to Parker is to be taken at face value.

Reads to me that he is talking about on the pitch discipline and not just doing his own thing. The lad has a lot of talent, but seems to find it difficult to direct that talent in an effective way often enough.

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Reads to me that he is talking about on the pitch discipline and not just doing his own thing. The lad has a lot of talent, but seems to find it difficult to direct that talent in an effective way often enough.

He has hardly got on the pitch in a lot of games so sorry Lakey i don't see it that way.

"But it's very difficult coming into this environment in January and hitting the ground running after not playing a lot of football. And that is probably Todd. I thought he came in and done very well.

"He needs to be consistent in his habits, consistent in his behaviours. I know he wants to play every week, but I've also got another 24,25 players who are very good and deserve to play as well.

"I don't have a squad of 25 but there are only 16 I'm looking at. I have a squad of 25 and I could play any one of them, to be quite honest with you.

"The competition is very high and he needs to embrace that and keep working as hard as he can to get his chance."

The full quote shows that he is just desperate to play as much as he can, nothing wrong with that.

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/signing-mid-season-consistent-habits-6982323

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

"But it's very difficult coming into this environment in January and hitting the ground running after not playing a lot of football. And that is probably Todd. I thought he came in and done very well.

"He needs to be consistent in his habits, consistent in his behaviours. I know he wants to play every week, but I've also got another 24,25 players who are very good and deserve to play as well.

"I don't have a squad of 25 but there are only 16 I'm looking at. I have a squad of 25 and I could play any one of them, to be quite honest with you.

"The competition is very high and he needs to embrace that and keep working as hard as he can to get his chance."

The full quote shows that he is just desperate to play as much as he can, nothing wrong with that.

https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/football-news/signing-mid-season-consistent-habits-6982323

If you look at his appearances since arriving at Bournemouth he was given playing time in his first few games but it has become less and less in recent games so much so that he has failed to get off the bench in 3 of their last 6. He may well be desperate to play but it is obviously not impressing Parker enough .

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I’m not so sure habits and behaviours suggests to me that perhaps he isn’t showing the necessary character, attitude  and fight in training to get into the team and hints he might be just moaning about it ie same issue we seemed to have with him this season.

all does not seem well again 

Todd can be outstanding at times but if you're a manager who wants a certain shape/formation, then he might not be what you need all the while. His defensive capability is pretty woeful. 

So that's the third manager who cant get a tune out of him. 

Hopefully the penny will drop sooner rather than later...................

Just a shame that will this negativity his value is dropping too. 

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

That doesn't sound like a manager about to blow £10m does it? 

We can only hope that with changes of personnel over the summer he might be a regular starter next season. But I very much doubt it. Feels like it has gone too far for me. 

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I think everyone would, but to take that step to invest into him next season as a starter is more likely to end up in the opening months of the season being disrupted - It's happened the past two seasons where his head hasn't been right and it's resulted in missing games.

For me he's a confidence player, Not sure he has the grit and determination to dig in and come back from this - at least not with us.  Crowd will get on his back if he doesn't start well, will cause him to sulk, and you're back in that vicious circle.  I'd rather have Onel back, personally.

I'd rather have Onel back as well. He's not as talented, but his attitude is a thousand times better.

I think he will be playing abroad next year if Bournemouth do not exercise their option, or if Todd rejects it, or if the clubs don't negotiate. He was close to going abroad before Bournemouth came in with their offer.

I think its the same old story.

Cantwell want's to play - yes I'm sure he does but there are those ahead of him who do their jobs more diligently for the team & manager and don't believe they are better than they are. It's an attitude / arrogance problem I'm sure. Don't think there is a cure.

Reads to me like Todd's response to playing/ not playing has been patchy- maybe was training well whilst in the team but dropped off when he wasn't getting starts, or vice versa.

Up to him I guess what happens next, but I'm of the opinion he's going to be one of those nearly-almost stories 

I do not know what is going on in Todd’s head, but it has not been a good 18months for him or us.

If he needs support to get his career going, and he has a positive attitude I would be delighted for him to sign an extension and build him back up.  If he going to be a negative influence then we should let him go.  The worst thing we could do is involve him again without him signing a new contract.  Image if he became integral to the side again but just left on a free at the end of next season, it would be like losing Buendia but without any income to replace him.  Better off investing and focusing on players with enough contract in place to protect the clubs future.

On 22/04/2022 at 09:29, The Bristol Nest said:

I can see another loan next season. Peterborough or Luton maybe?

Luton? He's not going to a club at a higher level 😏