Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The Rowe dilemma- Is it time for him to start?

Rather interesting comment regarding Rowe today from Smith.

'Jonathan's performances from the bench have been really good so far. I've got to judge whether he can do it from the start'

very much hinting we may get to see Rowe start against Burnley, which as I am a member of the Rowe fan club I very much support. But do you? Has he done enough to start do you think?

Of course, I think he is the future of our club and we should look to build around him next season so I am rather biased towards him I admit.. Not that I'm trying to place unneeded attention and pressure on a young lad of course 😉

Apparently, according to the Athletic (someone said it here, I can't remember who), there are question marks about his endurance.

The Premier League is not the place to find out. Smith's doing this well - feeding him short spells, slowly bedding him in, getting him used to first-team football. Would be surprised if he's not getting a start next season, or maybe even right at the end of this one if there's nothing left to play for mathematically.

Absolutely give him more game time. The clever management will be to protect him from the negaitive stuff around the team so his confidence isnt shot - we have seen too much of that already in others

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Apparently, according to the Athletic (someone said it here, I can't remember who), there are question marks about his endurance.

Same as any winger - they all tend to disappear for a while as they catch their breath. 

If he is not being played as a game changer, then fair enough, keep a headless chicken like McLean in the team who can look as if he is working hard but delivering ****. 

I'd rather see Rowe creating something in short bursts every 15 minutes or so, rather than watch McLean make himself look worse minute by minute as attempts to engage in the game. 

Edited by shefcanary

I see poor old Rowe is now the over rated savior that all fans feel we need. Why heap pressure on the lad in a relegation battle? 

Its as another poster put before - The more a player plays (McClean, Gibson, Pukki) the worse they get
The less they play (Sorenson, Rowe) the better they get.

• Like 3

Rowe has potential but I'm not sure he should be starting. Especially on Sunday, giving him a chance to get kicked to pieces for 90 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I see poor old Rowe is now the over rated savior that all fans feel we need. Why heap pressure on the lad in a relegation battle? 

Its as another poster put before - The more a player plays (McClean, Gibson, Pukki) the worse they get
The less they play (Sorenson, Rowe) the better they get.

Always been the case with football fans. No idea why as it's regularly proven rubbish! 😂

17 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Same as any winger - they all tend to disappear for a while as they catch their breath. 

If he is not being played as a game changer, then fair enough, keep a headless chicken like McLean in the team who can look as if he is working hard but delivering ****. 

I'd rather see Rowe creating something in short bursts every 15 minutes or so, rather than watch McLean make himself look worse minute by minute as attempts to engage in the game. 

Yes and no, yes in that wingers will often be more in spurts, more explosive and more stop-start in their efforts by nature, but no in that if his endurance is considered shaky, my suspicion is that they don't think he recovers quickly enough after a bit, and especially at that level of intensity required in the Premier League to be effective.

Smith's got this about right for me. Don't need to overwork him at his age / state of development, and as someone else said, don't need to expose him to the negativity for 90 minutes either and run the risk of shooting down his confidence.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if he starts ahead of Sargent, if he's fit?

Burnley will be brutal, Rowe will be kicked off the pitch.

17 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would be surprised if he starts ahead of Sargent, if he's fit?

Burnley will be brutal, Rowe will be kicked off the pitch.

Having watched Burnley recently they are not quite the cliche stoke style brexit fc they once were.. Although I do feel Weghorst has a good chance of a header hatrick given how awful our set piece defending is 🙃

I'm not saying Rowe will be saviour because we can't be saved.  I just want to see our young players being tested, I want to have some excitement.  If he does tire, so be it, it's not as if there won't be plenty of subs to choose from.  **** me, let' see a buzz being created as this season drifts to its conclusion.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Having watched Burnley recently they are not quite the cliche stoke style brexit fc they once were.. Although I do feel Weghorst has a good chance of a header hatrick given how awful our set piece defending is 🙃

Weghorst is atrocious in the air for such a big lad- a bit like Crouch in that respect. He’ll destroy the Championship if they go down though, has something of the Mitrovic about him. 

19 minutes ago, aBee said:

Weghorst is atrocious in the air for such a big lad- a bit like Crouch in that respect. He’ll destroy the Championship if they go down though, has something of the Mitrovic about him. 

You must want us to beat Burnley now to keep them a long way below yourselves. A situation where Norwich, Watford and Burnley got cut off from the rest would suit Brentford very well.

Congratulations on what looks like being a successful season. Your club made all the right decisions on getting promoted and our club made all the wrong ones. 

• Like 1

Yes he should start as at least that may allow us to go to 4-4-2, which is the only formation that has actually worked this season. But yet we’ve decided to completely abandon it! 

Get him started, and any other young player who will be in the mix for next season. Don't want to see any of the loanees (harsh on Williams I know) playing again.