Sign in to follow this  
STAN

DS. “I don’t know how the fans are feeling”

I just feel it’s a really poor PR answer and sums up the disconnect between the club and the fans at the moment. I honestly don’t think they care as long as we sell out Season tickets. Feels we have taken such a massive step back in fan/ club relations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

They were talking about how animated and upset Smith and Shaky were looking on the sidelines in last few games and how Smith was literally losing his patience within 10 mins of the last match as players were doing simple things wrong.

Was that after the usual McLean ****show?  

Such a shame he doesn't get challenged on things discussed on here, just so a few things get put to bed.  What's the point of this forum on a papers web-site if the paper's journo don't quote discussions to test the manager's point of view. A missed opportunity.

"I dont know how the fans are feeling" is quite simply a very ignorant comment to make.
We are bottom of the league, in dreadful form and currently play with none of footballing ID we have grown use to over the last few years (i dont mean results but style). 
I expect the managers of the 19 other premier league clubs to be able to answer that question so i have no idea why our current manager has to pretend he has no clue. Smith usually comes across as an intelligent man so i don't believe he has no idea and actually find it quite disrespectful to the paying fans. Does he think we would be happy at this moment in time? 

When Smith arrived i already couldn't see us staying up so i in no way shape or form blame this potential relegation on him. However its hard to support him with some of the poor tactical decisions he has made and the long ball football we are producing. Krul constantly passing  to a center back for them to play the long ball forward constantly frustrates. Either try and play out properly or get us up the pitch and let Krul go long! 

My worry is that when Farke took us down last time the players all respected him and enjoyed working under him due to what we had previously achieved under Farke in the Championship previously. The players under Smith have had nothing but a negative experience (results wise) so im struggling to see how that mentality would change in the Championship. Very rarely do you see with a club with a manager after relegation and for it to work out. 

I hate clubs who constantly churn out managers and it would be very harsh to get rid of Smith as he hasn't been able to build his own team but due to the points made above, i would definitely be looking to do so, i just cannot see him being able to develop us into a successful side.

I would already be looking to see if we could attract Knutsen but i have a feeling the Championship may not attract him.

22 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Another step closer to Russell Martin's summertime unveiling.

To be fair its been written in the stars since the minute he left hasn't it 

See, the problem here is all about context and what he was asked - but don’t let that get in the way of things.  The press conference was, what, 30-40minutes long, and that was one comment in among hundreds.  

The odd thing to me is that no one is focusing on injuries, or the comment about illness in the squad - imo those are far more important than some throwaway comment.

• Like 2

If the natives do 'turn' on Sunday then the unfortunate element will be that the fury will (in all likelihood) be pointed in the wrong direction. Firstly some poor soul, possibly Gilmour and / or McLean will be the targets. I'm not defending their performances this season but fans turning on their own players is always wrong UNLESS said players have clearly shown obvious disrespect to the club and / or teammates. Secondly, D Smith (manager not owner) will come under attack despite the fact that he inherited a real poison chalice from Herr Farke and his buddy (or perhaps 'ex' buddy now!) Webber.

If the fans want to rise in revolt then the targets should be those doddering geriatrics from Stowmarket closely followed by the puffed up Webber. We await to see what transpires.     

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Instant results? 😂 "Bore off" - he's had 5 months in charge and nothing has improved. When a new manager comes in, you expect to see some element of improvement. Our "new manager bounce" lasted one match. Which arguably could have been won by Farke as he had won his final match anyway.

The results and performances over the Xmas period and the last 5-6 weeks have been nothing short of horrific.

'Horrific' is an improvement on our earlier performances 

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Absolutely right that we sacked Farke and replaced with Smith this season...a few weeks too late aswell ...as we had to try something.

But....should we go down and were he up for it , I have Farke back for another Championship season. At least he has a style that he knows works in that league.

I just dont know how Smith will attempt to have us play next season

I cant see him winning the league with 92+ pts as we twice did with Farke, I could see us more ending up like WBA this season with Bruce

Waste of effort typing to be brutally honest, it's simply never going to happen. 

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Absolutely right that we sacked Farke and replaced with Smith this season...a few weeks too late aswell ...as we had to try something.

But....should we go down and were he up for it , I have Farke back for another Championship season. At least he has a style that he knows works in that league.

I just dont know how Smith will attempt to have us play next season

I cant see him winning the league with 92+ pts as we twice did with Farke, I could see us more ending up like WBA this season with Bruce

It did fundamentally work the last time courtesy of messrs Buendia and Skipp, we're a far cry from that quality right now!    I'd have Farke back if Emi and Olly were on board.    Obviously not so we move on!  

I believe the actual quote is “I don't know how all the fans are feeling, as I don't phone everyone up or read social media. I've always said it's about the players performing."

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Frankly takes the pi$$ that we are all preparing for relegation and the club needs a rebuild while our CEO is busy preparing for a jolly up Everest.
He should be told to do his job and he can climb the super mountain once we are established in the Prem.

It is a worry about how much time, and how focused, our Sporting Director is. Considering the amount of prep he will have to do for Everest, it's concerning who and how our summer targets, and squad changes will be progressed. Webber will not be completely focused over the summer on NCFC!

On the plus side it might give Smith more room to pick his targets?

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Waste of effort typing to be brutally honest, it's simply never going to happen. 

Wouldnt be the first time a manager has returned to a former club

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be a regular on social media to maybe think the fans are a bit pissed off right now 🙄

22 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Would be the first time a manager has returned to a former club

Yes, but just 6 months later under the guy that sacked him? Farke would never come back. He knows the expectation of promotion is there, but without the same resource as last time. He'd tarnish his Championship 'expert' tag managing here again next season. 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Was that after the usual McLean ****show?  

Such a shame he doesn't get challenged on things discussed on here, just so a few things get put to bed.  What's the point of this forum on a papers web-site if the paper's journo don't quote discussions to test the manager's point of view. A missed opportunity.

Actually the two screw ups they specifically mentioned him reacting to were Normann and Giannoulis if I remember correctly.

34 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I believe the actual quote is “I don't know how all the fans are feeling, as I don't phone everyone up or read social media. I've always said it's about the players performing."

It's also about the manager choosing the right players and putting them into a formula that might work. Strangely, Smith never seems to say that.

36 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Well that massively changes things if that’s the quote, not surprised if it’s been taken out of context.

8 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yes, but just 6 months later under the guy that sacked him? Farke would never come back. He knows the expectation of promotion is there, but without the same resource as last time. He'd tarnish his Championship 'expert' tag managing here again next season. 

He might go to another Championship club, though. He'd probably be given a year to settle in, so if he didn't get them up first season, the club would probably be patient. I think QPR is a real possibility. They try to play good football and their season has imploded, so I can't see Warburton being there much longer.

Edited by canarybubbles

3 hours ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

Smith’s Villa scored 96 goals across his two full Premier League seasons. Where’s this notion coming from that he plays defensive football?

Some are forgetting that we have little to no creativity in midfield and one fit striker. Smith has been far from perfect but at least judge him after having a better equipped squad.

I quite like Smith’s down to earth and sensible persona. He will never have a Farke personality, but I do find him quite honest in his post match interviews, and doesn’t throw his players under the bus, regardless of how hopeless they have been. Unlike the previous head coach he doesn’t concede the game before we play every top six side either.

But we are likely to be in the Championship next season so its hardly indicative. And Webber buys the players.

But if he gets us back up then he is vindicated.

The line is very narrow.

As if half the replies on here haven't even bothered to read the full quote or the entire presser before taking it in turns to criticise and somehow turn it all on either McLean or Delia (usually both).

The state of the Internet, I guess.

• Like 1

Wow! What an incredibly ill considered thing for Dean Smith to utter. We are bottom of the Premiership, we haven’t played a minute of entertaining or enterprising soccer since Smith took over. We have a squad who clearly do not give a fig about our imminent relegation to the Championship. How do we feel? Overwhelmingly disappointed! Smith must surely be in the wrong job if he cannot empathise with the Supporters, and clearly needs to have some media training to stop inflammatory statements dropping from his mouth. I have stopped making excuses for Smith ( “it’s not his squad , he inherited a bunch of losers”  etc, etc) he is there to do a job, he has not been equal to that challenge, he should go.

I've always thought Smith took this job far too early after being sacked by Villa.

From our perspective we got a manager who had not even taken a short time out of the game to rebuild his enthusiasm and drive. NCFC was far too convenient. I'm very surprised he didn't insist on strengthening the squad in January.

From his perspective he's damaged his credibility after the awful results and dreadful performances. I would be surprised if that on reflection he isn't regretting coming here, hence a bit of frustration in the pressa.

He was brought in to try to keep us up, not start implementing his philosophy on a group of players who probably wouldn't suit it and aren't really good enough to play it, mid season when survival was still possible. That was his remit this year and it's why we've been so pragmatic at times. . It's the approach he took at Villa in project restart which worked, just, by sacrificing a certain playstyle to keep it tight and try to nick games. It was the right approach to try that here and it was likely what Webber was asking of him, it hasn't worked, but it was worth a try. 

Next year I have no doubt he'll get some new players in and work over pre season on implementing his preferred style of play for us to build on in the future and we'll all feel a lot better about him as our head coach. What he was doing at Brentford and Villa (most of the time) wasn't too dissimilar to what Farke was doing here, his teams just got the ball forward a bit quicker and worked a bit harder off the ball with their pressing and organization which is a tactical shift we're going to have to embrace if we're ever going to step up to this level. He's a good manager, probably one of the top 5 English coaches working at the moment and he'll be a good fit here given time. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Hope he is replaced in the summer. I also don't feel he wants to be here.

Sacking him wouldn't be without warrant - we have literally seen zero signs of improvement since he came in.

Let me get this straight. So Webber needs to go because he gave Farke a load of dud signings while selling the best player…..

but Smith needs to go because with exactly the same players, he couldn’t make them good enough for the Premiership?

And fans are still lumping in having clearly not read the entire quote. No wonder the club doesn't want to communicate with this bunch.