Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Reece McAleer

Bit of stuff online about his contract coming to an end at season end. I like the look of this lad and feel he would be a better fit than Kenny McLean next season. He has something about him. Can drop deep and pick the ball up. Probe from deep. Good passer of the ball. Not afraid to get stuck into a tackle and can score. If the loan arranger doesn't suggest this kid gets a new contract and first team involvement next season then we may as well give up on the model. That's my opinion anyway..... thoughts ?

5 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Bit of stuff online about his contract coming to an end at season end. I like the look of this lad and feel he would be a better fit than Kenny McLean next season. He has something about him. Can drop deep and pick the ball up. Probe from deep. Good passer of the ball. Not afraid to get stuck into a tackle and can score. If the loan arranger doesn't suggest this kid gets a new contract and first team involvement next season then we may as well give up on the model. That's my opinion anyway..... thoughts ?

How many times have you seen him play ? 

Quite a few times actually but maybe I am just one of those fans who thinks we should use our investments. I am pretty sure we went after them in the first place to develop them and bring them into the first team squad. Adshead for instance was on Man City's radar when we signed him. If he'd gone there he'd probably have made a first team appearance by now. McAleer and Adshead are two really good midfielders who could save us a fortune. Omabamidele, Idah, Rowe, Mumba etc are others. I for one really look forward to seeing these lads wear the yellow and green

• Like 2

Interesting that this young player doesn't know what the future holds for him yet our sporting director has next year planned out.

1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Quite a few times actually but maybe I am just one of those fans who thinks we should use our investments. I am pretty sure we went after them in the first place to develop them and bring them into the first team squad. Adshead for instance was on Man City's radar when we signed him. If he'd gone there he'd probably have made a first team appearance by now. McAleer and Adshead are two really good midfielders who could save us a fortune. Omabamidele, Idah, Rowe, Mumba etc are others. I for one really look forward to seeing these lads wear the yellow and green

McAleer's made a first team appearance here. Think.it was Coventry last season?

I watched him against Cheltenham I the Football League Trophy a couple of years ago and although we lost by a single goal I thought then that he looked very mature for his age. He seems to have filled out a bit and is becoming the midfielder many in Scotland thought he would become a few years ago. 

The sad truth is we are going back down to a standard where Kenny McLean is a solid option. It would deffo be nice if McClear makes our first team squad and pushes him though.

As he made the bench last season and has had a good loan this lad should be further forwards than most of the youngsters on the bench on Saturday. It makes sense that we give him another couple of years in the hope that he can push on

14 hours ago, canarycop said:

Adshead has had a bad injury IIRC so that will have set him back a bit. Looked a good prospect though.

16 hours ago, canarycop said:

If you are going to start a thread about a player it would be nice if you could spell his name correctly. McAlear.

16 hours ago, canarycop said:

I like the look of this lad and feel he would be a better fit than Kenny McLean next season. He has something about him. Can drop deep and pick the ball up. Probe from deep. Good passer of the ball. Not afraid to get stuck into a tackle and can score. If the loan arranger doesn't suggest this kid gets a new contract and first team involvement next season then we may as well give up on the model. That's my opinion anyway..... thoughts ?

Honestly, what does through someone's head to suggest we drop a proven Championship midfielder who is also an established international for a guy who has less than a season's worth of experience in the Scottish Championship? 

It really baffles me the logic shown by some people.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly, what does through someone's head to suggest we drop a proven Championship midfielder who is also an established international for a guy who has less than a season's worth of experience in the Scottish Championship? 

Honestly, McLean can't play EPL football and we need to develop EPL footballers otherwise this pattern of embarrassment will continue on promotions.    Not that he specifically influenced our last promotion in any event.   He would be in the way of someone's development whether that is Sorensen or McAlear or Adshead or someone else..... He would be preventing us developing quality in the CDM position and sorting out this incredible failure of not addressing that situation which should have happened after the last relegation, it didn't we signed a loan player and played McLean alongside, as a consequence were left with this current shambles.     

Have to disagree with your comment, McLean has to go or be put in the background, we need to speculate to accumulate.    If any fan would play McLean next season (cos he's OK in the Championship) or any other player meeting that criteria (Dowell, Zimmermann, Hugill, Rupp, Sargent) then they shouldn't really be expecting anything other than what were currently enduring in the EPL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think the logic is that we need to find a better option than McLean. He may well be an ok championship player but we must find players that are capable of stepping up and playing in the premier league. McLean has had two chances to prove that and he clearly is not good enough.

I'm not saying that McAleer is the answer but we do need to find someone who at least has the potential to be an improvement on Mclean. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I think the logic is that we need to find a better option than McLean. He may well be an ok championship player but we must find players that are capable of stepping up and playing in the premier league. McLean has had two chances to prove that and he clearly is not good enough.

I'm not saying that McAleer is the answer but we do need to find someone who at least has the potential to be an improvement on Mclean. 

Yeah its a perfectly reasonable idea.

I think Kenny stays and plays quite a bit next season (we'll be waving goodbye to Gilmour and Normann and I'm not convinced we'll keep Rupp either as he just can't stay fit) but the aim should be to find someone better than him. That doesn't mean we just put Adshead/McAleer straight in there but the ideal scenario is by the end of next season someone has stepped up to show they can be better than Kenny. 

10 hours ago, rock bus said:

This is absolutely correct. We need to build a team - as Brentford and Burnley have done before us - capable of staying up in the premier league. My personal view is there isn’t even any point playing possession based Farkeball and walking the league. Pace and power. Energetic. Tough in the tackle. Counter attacking. Something hopefully Deano is able to build with his own team. 

Edited by WD40
Wrong league

Maybe he wants to steer McAleer of the first team so it doesn't ruin his career 😅

4 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

If you are going to start a thread about a player it would be nice if you could spell his name correctly. McAlear.

That's constructive. 

That's all

9 hours ago, rock bus said:

10 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Honestly, McLean can't play EPL football and we need to develop EPL footballers otherwise this pattern of embarrassment will continue on promotions.    Not that he specifically influenced our last promotion in any event.   He would be in the way of someone's development whether that is Sorensen or McAlear or Adshead or someone else..... He would be preventing us developing quality in the CDM position and sorting out this incredible failure of not addressing that situation which should have happened after the last relegation, it didn't we signed a loan player and played McLean alongside, as a consequence were left with this current shambles.     

Have to disagree with your comment, McLean has to go or be put in the background, we need to speculate to accumulate.    If any fan would play McLean next season (cos he's OK in the Championship) or any other player meeting that criteria (Dowell, Zimmermann, Hugill, Rupp, Sargent) then they shouldn't really be expecting anything other than what were currently enduring in the EPL.  

Honestly, the madness of this. You don't win promotion back to the Premier League by dropping a Championship quality midfielder who has two Championship titles on his CV. You get back to the Premier League and then get the replacement. 

9 hours ago, WD40 said:

This is absolutely correct. We need to build a team - as Brentford and Burnley have done before us - capable of staying up in the championship. My personal view is there isn’t even any point playing possession based Farkeball and walking the league. Pace and power. Energetic. Tough in the tackle. Counter attacking. Something hopefully Deano is able to build with his own team. 

Bonkers and so very, very wrong. 

50 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Bonkers and so very, very wrong. 

Which part please?

53 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly, the madness of this. You don't win promotion back to the Premier League by dropping a Championship quality midfielder who has two Championship titles on his CV. You get back to the Premier League and then get the replacement. 

Which we’ve failed to do twice if you hadn’t noticed. What makes you think we’d do it next time? 

58 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What with exactly?   So we play 4 lads who are OK in the Chumps, not adequate for the EPL,  then need to replace them on promotion!  How are we supposed to do that then?    Have you not noticed the complete embarrassment and debacle of this season…. Your process doesn’t work…. Before promotion we need a team good enough throughout so that new signings add to and improve that group not replace them!  

We need to start the process again and get promoted when ready, not rush it in desperation.    I never want to experience this again.     Besides, McLean is very average even in the Chumps, it won’t be him that makes the difference, we can do better and will have too!  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What with exactly?   So we play 4 lads who are OK in the Chumps, not adequate for the EPL,  then need to replace them on promotion!  How are we supposed to do that then?    Have you not noticed the complete embarrassment and debacle of this season…. Your process doesn’t work…. Before promotion we need a team good enough throughout so that new signings add to and improve that group not replace them!  

We need to start the process again and get promoted when ready, not rush it in desperation.    I never want to experience this again.     Besides, McLean is very average even in the Chumps, it won’t be him that makes the difference, we can do better and will have too!  

Not only that the team needs to bed in, gel and hit the ground running on day 1 of the premier league season. Changing one of more key players in your midfield and hoping for the best was not a winning strategy this year and won’t be in the future. 

11 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah its a perfectly reasonable idea.

I think Kenny stays and plays quite a bit next season (we'll be waving goodbye to Gilmour and Normann and I'm not convinced we'll keep Rupp either as he just can't stay fit) but the aim should be to find someone better than him. That doesn't mean we just put Adshead/McAleer straight in there but the ideal scenario is by the end of next season someone has stepped up to show they can be better than Kenny. 

Ideally of course.

But according to two managers no one has been able to do it this season, so I'd be surprised if its an 18 year old that removes him.

Also re the post you quoted, McLean shouldn't be stopping a new CDM from being signed or playing. McLean isn't a CDM and shouldn't be played as such.