I'm not sure why Norwich fans resent Brentford so much.

If anything the fact they've managed to stay up (yeah I'm happy to call that now) without huge spending after promotion and working on a 'sustainable' model in the Championship should at least give us some hope that it can be done, even if just for one season. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

If anything the fact they've managed to stay up (yeah I'm happy to call that now) without huge spending after promotion and working on a 'sustainable' model in the Championship should at least give us some hope that it can be done, even if just for one season. 

For the same reason we hated Sheffield United. For the same reason we hated Huddersfield.

They are successful in the top flight we aren't. Thats all there is too it

Of course for only season and then relegated after of course, but the fact we finished above them only for them to then stay up when we go down does hurt.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

Can think of far worse teams to be fair. I agree with Kingy here - the Brentford set strike me as a decent bunch. The problem was the media swirling around some of them. Fair play to them.

• Like 1

I don't hate Brentford at all, rather them have a crack at being a top flight side than clubs like Bournemouth, who I do hate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

For the same reason we hated Sheffield United. For the same reason we hated Huddersfield.

They are successful in the top flight we aren't. Thats all there is too it

Of course for only season and then released after of course, but the fact we finished above them only for them to then stay up when we go down does hurt.

Plain jealousy then? That's always an ugly look.

OTBC

Playing most of the same team as last season too, apparently.

Adding Erikson was a clever bit of business.

Of all the clubs based in the smoke, I actually don't mind Brentford and their support.....and I'm so pleased for Eriksen.....

Edited by Mello Yello
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can think of far worse teams to be fair. I agree with Kingy here - the Brentford set strike me as a decent bunch. The problem was the media swirling around some of them. Fair play to them.

Yeah I do think some need to separate the media hype around a club from the club themselves. Brentford can't help the love in from the national press and we'd be basking in it if it was us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Playing most of the same team as last season too, apparently.

Adding Erikson was a clever bit of business.

Keeping their best players.... Weirdoes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spent money on upgrading just a few key areas. Took a massive gamble in Jan, but to their credit it's paid off.

Us, well didn't seem any strategy to our recruitment, all of which, other rashica, seem extremely poor. And embarrassingly we showed no balls in Jan, did zero strengthening

Fair play to them

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I do think some need to separate the media hype around a club from the club themselves. Brentford can't help the love in from the national press and we'd be basking in it if it was us.

The hype came I think as a combination of taking a positive approach from the start of the season and location. Apart from that great surprise win first game against Arsenal (when the football world was watching as we were on the Friday evening and after 18 months without fans the atmosphere was amazing) we’ve also even through the midseason slump with injuries, covid etc, never been completely hammered by anyone. 

Location both in terms of having a small, tight but modern ground with atmosphere for the big evening games and being round the corner from both Sky and where most BBC journos live. So they’ve enjoyed the sheer joy we’ve had and the togetherness between fans and team while having just a cab journey either way. Even those not going to the games have had it- Lineker lives just the other side of the river in Barnes and commented he could hear the cheers when we scored against Arsenal. 

Sadly I couldn’t go today at short notice due to serious illness in the family. I had a corporate invite from a friend I’d made since we played together in a Bees fan team back in 2002 which was set up to raise money to help the supporters’ trust buy the club off the fundamentally evil Ron Noades (borrowed to the hilt secured against the ground- wanted to move the club to groundshare permanently with Woking, it’d have been like moving Norwich City to be Kings Lynn’s tenants forever). 

1 minute ago, aBee said:

The hype came I think as a combination of taking a positive approach from the start of the season and location. Apart from that great surprise win first game against Arsenal (when the football world was watching as we were on the Friday evening and after 18 months without fans the atmosphere was amazing) we’ve also even through the midseason slump with injuries, covid etc, never been completely hammered by anyone. 

Location both in terms of having a small, tight but modern ground with atmosphere for the big evening games and being round the corner from both Sky and where most BBC journos live. So they’ve enjoyed the sheer joy we’ve had and the togetherness between fans and team while having just a cab journey either way. Even those not going to the games have had it- Lineker lives just the other side of the river in Barnes and commented he could hear the cheers when we scored against Arsenal. 

Sadly I couldn’t go today at short notice due to serious illness in the family. I had a corporate invite from a friend I’d made since we played together in a Bees fan team back in 2002 which was set up to raise money to help the supporters’ trust buy the club off the fundamentally evil Ron Noades (borrowed to the hilt secured against the ground- wanted to move the club to groundshare permanently with Woking, it’d have been like moving Norwich City to be Kings Lynn’s tenants forever). 

I think it's also as simple as being a fresh name- the novelty affect is strong.

We're boring to the media at this point as we come up pretty often and get relegated just as often. Same as West Brom really.

• Like 1

I don't resent Brentford's success at all. They went up as third-best team and they are likely to be the only one of the promoted clubs to survive.

Basically, unlike us, they made good decisions.

• Like 1

I don’t like the generic big club “pet team” that’s assigned every year so they can be built up and then discarded.

it’s demeaning

see Swansea, Bournemouth, Sheffield United etc etc etc

its a symptom of this pathetic premier league

And they had the bottle to spend a lot on a proven striker. And we saw that he was more than a goalscorer whereas we spent our dough on someone who cannot score.

I am fully aware that there is a great deal of jealousy because they were behind us and our now ahead of us. Cambridge showed his true feelings when he supposed they will come back down. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm really pleased for Brentford. I think the difference between them and us is they probably realised like us they were favourites to go down but made up for it with fight and determination not to be bullied. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Good on them I say. Certainly don't hate them at all. Bit of a breath of fresh air and wish we could have matched them results wise this season

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And they had the bottle to spend a lot on a proven striker. And we saw that he was more than a goalscorer whereas we spent our dough on someone who cannot score.

I am fully aware that there is a great deal of jealousy because they were behind us and our now ahead of us. Cambridge showed his true feelings when he supposed they will come back down. 

They will come down, they can't stay up. Tiny club in a big pond. The small dog trying to mingle with the big dogs. Might work for now, but one day they will get torn apart. Swansea, Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Hull.. Happens to them all. Seen it all before. Might be cute and hipsterish for a while but it never lasts. Just a sad part of life as a small poor club trying to play amongst the rich elites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I don't resent Brentford's success at all. They went up as third-best team and they are likely to be the only one of the promoted clubs to survive.

Basically, unlike us, they made good decisions.

Absolutely, shored up the defence with a quality player and kept the key championship players, unlike us who gambled and decided to buy for the future profits!

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Absolutely, shored up the defence with a quality player and kept the key championship players, unlike us who gambled and decided to buy for the future profits!

Oh Ajer.. what could have been. but no, Webber could not be bothered to pay just a little extra on the wages so we ended up with cabbage Kabak instead

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They will come down, they can't stay up. Tiny club in a big pond. The small dog trying to mingle with the big dogs. Might work for now, but one day they will get torn apart. Swansea, Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Hull.. Happens to them all. Seen it all before. Might be cute and hipsterish for a while but it never lasts. Just a sad part of life as a small poor club trying to play amongst the rich elites.

As long as it’s fun while it lasts and so far it has been. Beats being down the bottom end of L2 as we were about 15 years ago!

2 minutes ago, aBee said:

As long as it’s fun while it lasts and so far it has been. Beats being down the bottom end of L2 as we were about 15 years ago!

Indeed enjoy it, it’s well deserved……👍 much rather see Everton relegated!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Brand new stadium too while we still have the subbuteo City stand. 

Never, Carrow Road is forever. Just increase the stands, can probably get 40,000 capacity if we did. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never, Carrow Road is forever. Just increase the stands, can probably get 40,000 capacity if we did. 

Would be a cracking stadium with that new stand that’s talked about plenty but never gets built. 

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Would be a cracking stadium with that new stand that’s talked about plenty but never gets built. 

Well, said to only be happening if we 'become a solid prem team for a few season at the very least' so in other words never going to happen sadly

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, said to only be happening if we 'become a solid prem team for a few season at the very least' so in other words never going to happen sadly

To be fair the City stand has a lot of new shiny seats so perhaps that’s the compromise. 

3 hours ago, aBee said:

Remember when we were bottom of Div 3 South 2 years running  just after the war

• Like 1