Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'd like to see our Greek pair playing in most of the matches for the rest of the season. They must both feel they have made a dreadful mistake in terms of their long-term careers by coming here, but I think both of them could still do a job for us next year. However, I imagine both of them can't wait to get out of the club.

I know some fans will say that Giannoulis isn't Premiership quality. But who is, other than Pukki and probably Aarons, and maybe Krul and Rashica? Also, all we will need is good Championship quality, which we have proof that Giannoulis is. If we keep him, we don't have to use any of our limited money on that spot if we bring back McCallum and use other existing players who could fill the spot in an emergency.

As for Tzolis, unless we are happy to throw away most of the money we paid for him, we need to try to develop the obvious natural ability he showed which led to that high transfer figure. Yes, those fans who say he is rubbish and yet another wonderkid who won't become a great adult player may be right, but how do we find out if we don't give him game time? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it looks as if he has been horribly mishandled to date. Given hardly any playing time, little seemingly done to help a 19-year-old kid adapt to a new country, put on the naughty step by Farke, ignored and stuck in the under-23s by Smith - it's a perfect example of how not to handle a very promising youngster. We've got a free hit in the last nine games. Play him, see if he might have what it takes, and do our best to make him feel settled at the club. If he flops, we've lost nothing; his value must already have plummeted anyway.

This all depends on Smith, of course. First, whether he acknowledges (not publicly, of course) that this season is over and he should start planning for the next. Second, how he intends to set out the team next season. If he plans to play hoofball to a big guy up front, who needs an attacking full-back and a winger who is not very tall and not especially quick, but clearly has other skills which might fit into a side that tries to play on the ground, not in the air? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giannoulis is a better player than Williams and should've been 1st choice LB all season. 

Tzolis was looking promising until he got Farked. 

Poor management at this level as usual from us, and not just these two either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Giannoulis is a better player than Williams and should've been 1st choice LB all season. 

Tzolis was looking promising until he got Farked. 

Poor management at this level as usual from us, and not just these two either. 

So why has Smith not reintegrated him back in the team? Not only that the boy has disappeared from the squad. Both players will be the first out of the door in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Giannoulis is a better player than Williams and should've been 1st choice LB all season. 

Tzolis was looking promising until he got Farked. 

Poor management at this level as usual from us, and not just these two either. 

I can agree with OPs point about playing both with a view to next season. But unfortunately Williams is clearly a better player than Giannoulis and is probably one of favourites for player of season (not that there is actually much competition).

As for Tzolis there is clearly some sort of issue given the way Smith has dropped him from squad. He referred to confidence problem before which is understandable but not sure dropping from squad will help and even more concerning is I’ve seen no reports to say he was tearing it up when even playing for under 23s. Worryingly think we may have to cut our losses…example of Webber p ing our limited money up the wall!

Edited by rock bus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I can agree with OPs point about playing both with a view to next season. But unfortunately Williams is clearly a better player than Giannoulis and is probably one of favourites for player of season (not that there is actually much competition).

As for Tzolis there is clearly some sort of issue given the way Smith has dropped him from squad. He referred to confidence problem before which is understandable but not sure dropping from squad will help and even more concerning is I’ve seen no reports to say he was tearing it up when even playing for under 23s. Worryingly think we may have to cut our losses…example of Webber p ing our limited money up the wall!

Isn't it amazing that very experienced managers such as Farke and Smith who have seen Tzolis train and play on a regular basis, and deem that his performances are not good enough to warrant a place in the team, that some people cannot accept this and want him played so that they can make their own minds up. Are these the same people who wanted to play Hugill, Soto or many others who were not playing?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I'd like to see our Greek pair playing in most of the matches for the rest of the season. They must both feel they have made a dreadful mistake in terms of their long-term careers by coming here, but I think both of them could still do a job for us next year. However, I imagine both of them can't wait to get out of the club.

I know some fans will say that Giannoulis isn't Premiership quality. But who is, other than Pukki and probably Aarons, and maybe Krul and Rashica? Also, all we will need is good Championship quality, which we have proof that Giannoulis is. If we keep him, we don't have to use any of our limited money on that spot if we bring back McCallum and use other existing players who could fill the spot in an emergency.

As for Tzolis, unless we are happy to throw away most of the money we paid for him, we need to try to develop the obvious natural ability he showed which led to that high transfer figure. Yes, those fans who say he is rubbish and yet another wonderkid who won't become a great adult player may be right, but how do we find out if we don't give him game time? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it looks as if he has been horribly mishandled to date. Given hardly any playing time, little seemingly done to help a 19-year-old kid adapt to a new country, put on the naughty step by Farke, ignored and stuck in the under-23s by Smith - it's a perfect example of how not to handle a very promising youngster. We've got a free hit in the last nine games. Play him, see if he might have what it takes, and do our best to make him feel settled at the club. If he flops, we've lost nothing; his value must already have plummeted anyway.

This all depends on Smith, of course. First, whether he acknowledges (not publicly, of course) that this season is over and he should start planning for the next. Second, how he intends to set out the team next season. If he plans to play hoofball to a big guy up front, who needs an attacking full-back and a winger who is not very tall and not especially quick, but clearly has other skills which might fit into a side that tries to play on the ground, not in the air? 

have you ever actually watched Giannoulis play for Norwich? appalling defensively (Williams / Byron for example miles better defensively) and we do have to do a fair bit of defending to do.....

Tzolis... as much as I'd like to see him start, apart from against Bournemouth's 2nd string, he has looked way off the pace and unfit to me.

But... I wouldn't mind seeing them both start to reward their patience and tbh we haven't got anything to loose. William play RB and drop Aarons who once again has proved he is not up to premier league level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, urdie_Canary said:

 

have you ever actually watched Giannoulis play for Norwich? appalling defensively (Williams / Byron for example miles better defensively) and we do have to do a fair bit of defending to do.....

Tzolis... as much as I'd like to see him start, apart from against Bournemouth's 2nd string, he has looked way off the pace and unfit to me.

But... I wouldn't mind seeing them both start to reward their patience and tbh we haven't got anything to loose. William play RB and drop Aarons who once again has proved he is not up to premier league level. 

Not sure I'd play Williams at RB - if we accept we're down, I'd rather we focus on developing our players, not loanees.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Aaron’s and Williams are both injured looks like Giannoulis and Byram starting tomorrow which is what I also suspect we will line up with next season personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

If Aaron’s and Williams are both injured looks like Giannoulis and Byram starting tomorrow which is what I also suspect we will line up with next season personally.

I think Giannoulis will want away. There’s been noises coming from various media sources for a while now suggesting he’s unhappy. Could be a massive turnaround this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Giannoulis is a better player than Williams and should've been 1st choice LB all season. 

Absolute nonsense. I had to check the time you posted otherwise I'd have thought this an April's fool. Instead it's just a regular fool.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you look at Giannoulis his weakness are obvious he lacks strength and defensive he is not great (although most full backs these days)
 

If wants to address this staying and playing a year of hard tough championship football would improve him as a player and improve the areas of his game that need improvement.

Its up to him right, does he want that? Or does he leave for a more technical league that suits his game. He is either up for the challenge or not.

I hope he stays as he is a good player and we need to retain our good players.

Edited by Ulfotto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Giannoulis is a better player than Williams and should've been 1st choice LB all season. 

Tzolis was looking promising until he got Farked. 

Poor management at this level as usual from us, and not just these two either. 

Williams has arguably been our best player this season so not sure what you're on about there.

 

Is a shame that Giannlouis has been kicked out the team (plus him going to the Greek media moaning and complaining hasn't helped..) but heres hoping with Williams now injured and out he gets a chance to shine again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Tzolis isn't in the squad for the U23s tonight so maybe he'll be back in the 1st team squad tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute nonsense. I had to check the time you posted otherwise I'd have thought this an April's fool. Instead it's just a regular fool.

It's not absolute nonsense is it? I've heard way more controversial football opinions, like "McLean is a good player" from certain posters on here. Williams is legitimately in with a shout of POTS and is in front of Giannoulis in my opinion, but absolute nonsense? Not even close, you fool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d also prefer Giannoulis to Williams, partly because he’s our player, partly because of my own prejudice against Loans from clubs from the global elite brands. As an occasional under 23 watcher I’m v pro Rowe, though I don’t see him as a saviour or as a fully developed player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the first match Giannoulis played in the yellow I remember thinking 'there's a footballer there.'

In many ways he is a better player than Williams, but the latter was far, far more suited to a Premier League survival battle, imo.

I hope we hang onto the player, and ditto Tzolis. Both could be pretty useful in the Chumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you play Tzolis you just have to tell him to 'have fun' and enjoy himself - regardless of any errors or poor performances that he makes.

Up until now we've not been in a position to have that luxury (and Rowe clearly deserves it more) ... it'll be interesting to see if Smith let's the Greek loose once relegation is confirmed. Personally, I hope so!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

If you play Tzolis you just have to tell him to 'have fun' and enjoy himself - regardless of any errors or poor performances that he makes.

Up until now we've not been in a position to have that luxury (and Rowe clearly deserves it more) ... it'll be interesting to see if Smith let's the Greek loose once relegation is confirmed. Personally, I hope so!

That's it in a nutshell. Shore things up behind Tzolis, and tell him "we'll give you a fairly free role starting off the left. Go out there and look to cause havoc."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Tzolis will tear up the Championship.

Tzolis on one wing, Rowe on the other, Sargent in the middle and Pukki up top? Hmm, just mad enough it could work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2022 at 10:50, Terminally Yellow said:

Absolute nonsense. I had to check the time you posted otherwise I'd have thought this an April's fool. Instead it's just a regular fool.

 

E1CB2AE6-DD39-4C2B-BDEC-165771200355.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...