Sign in to follow this  
Channon’s Windmill

Haven’t missed it one bit.

Normally I hate international breaks and really miss watching City play. I can honestly say for the first time in 45 years of supporting Norwich, it’s not been the case this time around. It’s been a relief not having to witness another sorry performance and yet another defeat.  I’ve enjoyed the sunshine, the outdoors and family time and felt far happier for it.  Like others have mentioned before the love of football and perhaps (I never ever thought I would say this) NCFC is dwindling. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Normally I hate international breaks and really miss watching City play. I can honestly say for the first time in 45 years of supporting Norwich, it’s not been the case this time around. It’s been a relief not having to witness another sorry performance and yet another defeat.  I’ve enjoyed the sunshine, the outdoors and family time and felt far happier for it.  Like others have mentioned before the love of football and perhaps (I never ever thought I would say this) NCFC is dwindling. 

Glory hunting plastic supporter, find a new hobby.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Yep, feel the same unfortunately.... It's a really pity.

The glorious weather has helped but I haven't missed it at all. Still the best part of 3 weeks to go before we have to endure Burnley.

Partly because of Covid concerns, but mainly because I knew what would happen when we sold Emi, I paused my season ticket for this season. I've spent Saturdays watching local football, mainly Mulbarton but some other teams too. It's been my first break in 54 years and from what I've seen on TV I haven't missed much. 

I have decided to go back next season but in all honesty it was a toss of a coin decision. 

I've missed it and can't wait for the next game. Recently having to miss a season and a half through covid was a taste of what life without football is like. You guys are welcome to more of that misery. It's not for me.

• Like 6

Completely agree with the original post, same my first match 1967, and have been a City supporter and football fan till now - I won’t become interested again until it gets somewhere near its roots. I am not alone 

• Sad 1

I think the fact that the OP is posting on here shows that passion for NCFC exists. If you're really not that fussed anymore you don't sit and post about how much you're not fussed about it on here, not directly aimed at the OP but lot's on here do that 🙂

This season has been painful but me and my mates enjoy watching Norwich and the day that surrounds it.

• Like 1

As someone who isn't a season ticket holder and likely gets to two or three games a year, I can say I haven't missed it these last couple of weeks. However if I was still going to games regularly and all the stuff that surrounds that that @hogesar mentioned above I'd imagine I would miss it more. 

I'm thinking of being a bit more like @dylanisabaddog next season and either going to my very local team in the 7th tier of football or taking in a few games at Cambridge United who aren't far either. 

It isn't the clubs fault but I'm fast falling out of love with top flight football. 

• Like 1

This season has been horrible, no question. Worst as a City fan, probably. A struggle to muster the enthusiasm to actually go to games, frequent. Debated whether to renew my ST for the first time, unfortunately so.

However when it came to it, I did renew and I was always going to. The reason why was very simple. The thrill and enjoyment of the whole day, and the potential of the joy that will unfold, in the game and the progressing season.

I remember thinking things couldn't get worse when walking back to my car, in the rain, after watching us lose to Reading to virtually relegate us to League 1 in 2009. It was, at the time, the lowest point I'd had as a City fan and is a moment I have thought about recently as the feelings are very similar.

But then I think what the following decade had to offer. It doesn't need me to point out all the highs now but just to say 'Simeon Jackson', '1-5', 'Holt at Anfield', 'Wembley', 'Klose vs binners' 'Millwall', 'Forest', 'Man City' or 'Buendia vs Bristol', they all simply make me smile and instantly reassures me that renewing is the right thing to do, that I can't wait to go again and see what may happen, and look forward to the next moment like those that we've been blessed to have plenty of in the last decade and beyond.

I also vividly remember debating whether to go to a particular game a few years ago. We were severely hampered by injuries across the squad and therfore were expected to roll over and just try keep the scoreline repectable. I was tired and had to work later that day so really couldn't be bothered to just go and watch us lose to one of the bankrolled elite.... Obviously that game was Man City and turned out to be one of the best moments of my life, and is why I never miss a game if I can avoid it as you never know what may happen at a football match.

So yes, I've missed the day out and look forward to each and every game (even if I hold less and less hope of actually getting a result).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I've missed it and can't wait for the next game. Recently having to miss a season and a half through covid was a taste of what life without football is like. You guys are welcome to more of that misery. It's not for me.

No pub, no meals out, no holidays, no visiting loved ones in care or hospital, prisoners in your own houses for weeks on end, a big chore to get to the supermarkets etc puts a little perspective on life without football don't you think Nutty ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Glory hunting plastic supporter, find a new hobby.

Got to say,totally agree. 50 years a supporter,21 yrs s/t holder.Hav'nt missed it at all. The continuous pledges from the players that they have to do better etc.etc. This season really has sucked all the enjoyment out of my love for the game.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No pub, no meals out, no holidays, no visiting loved ones in care or hospital, prisoners in your own houses for weeks on end, a big chore to get to the supermarkets etc puts a little perspective on life without football don't you think Nutty ?

You do realise much of that is still going on? Which makes it even more important for me to enjoy the freedoms I have now. Like going to football...

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

Nutty, the difference is a lot of supporters are finding alternatives, which for me is going to watch Wroxham. Ok, the standard isn’t so high but there isn’t any cr@p involved, I talk to the players and chairman, Park at the ground and when the weather is nice have a well priced pint of Woodforde’s while I’m watching the game.     

To me that’s now better than a long walk to the ground, VAR, the cost of tickets, players time wasting and diving all the time and being made to feel that I’m just a customer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You do realise much of that is still going on? Which makes it even more important for me to enjoy the freedoms I have now. Like going to football...

Hey ? The only problem i can see from my list is those with relatives in hospital having restrictions still in place.

3 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

agree 

I've enjoyed the extensive break between our games.....It's now allowed me in the current financial disaster of a climate to save some dosh so I can afford a couple o' pints after the Burnley game....Gonna be in a Spoon's, but times are tight.... 

32 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Nutty, the difference is a lot of supporters are finding alternatives, which for me is going to watch Wroxham. Ok, the standard isn’t so high but there isn’t any cr@p involved, I talk to the players and chairman, Park at the ground and when the weather is nice have a well priced pint of Woodforde’s while I’m watching the game.     

To me that’s now better than a long walk to the ground, VAR, the cost of tickets, players time wasting and diving all the time and being made to feel that I’m just a customer.

I feel exactly the same and my major gripe is VAR. It was introduced for all the right reasons but it has been a disaster. 

The standard of local football may surprise some of you. Tuesday 12 April at 7.45 is Wroxham v Mulbarton in the semi final of the Norfolk Senior Cup which is a competition older than Norwich City. Come along and @FenwayFrank will buy you a pint of Woodfordes. I'm driving so I'll have to decline 😟

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This season has confirmed everything I thought about it - that the way the PL is set up is ruining football. The way it is being officiated has made it a lot worse too. It really has become a corporate machine designed to make money for those that have money - and it is sucking fans dry.  So it's not that my interest in NCFC has waned - it's my interest in PL football in general that has affected the way I think about it.

It is not a fair playing field and that is what is so disappointing - the balance is all wrong. It has almost ceased to become a sport. NCFC is a brilliant club and the way we do things is about as ethical as it can get - but fans are being shafted by the PL and TV - huge money being made but fans are treated like they are not important with the VAR thing is about as anti-fan as it can get - they are ruining the sport at the highest level and the sad thing is, I don't think they see that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hey ? The only problem i can see from my list is those with relatives in hospital having restrictions still in place.

Lesleys mum is in hospital. One of her children can see her if she takes a turn for the worse. Lesley's been once already. We got as far as the ward door yesterday with Mother's Day gift and card.

It's not just hospitals either. Care homes are in and out of restrictions including lock downs.

These things are for the benefit of the people but they are devastating for the families involved.

As for those with dissatisfaction with the state of PL football, VAR etc., why not stop with the TV subscriptions instead of withdrawing support for our beloved team.

Edited by nutty nigel

As KC eluded, if you are an ex Pat, you won't be missing the whole experience of going to a game. But I am the same and haven't missed watching us getting beaten regularly. But look forward to the Brighton match in the hope we just put in some better performances with what is left.

I haven't been to watch my rugby team this season as we have been available to watch. But next season with very few opportunities to see us, I will get a season ticket for the rugby.

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The glorious weather has helped but I haven't missed it at all. Still the best part of 3 weeks to go before we have to endure Burnley.

You’re lucky……..I’ve got Brighton on Saturday 😀

Stiil don’t get too comfortable. It’s only the best part of two weeks to Burnley, not three 😂

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This season has confirmed everything I thought about it - that the way the PL is set up is ruining football. The way it is being officiated has made it a lot worse too. It really has become a corporate machine designed to make money for those that have money - and it is sucking fans dry.  So it's not that my interest in NCFC has waned - it's my interest in PL football in general that has affected the way I think about it.

It is not a fair playing field and that is what is so disappointing - the balance is all wrong. It has almost ceased to become a sport. NCFC is a brilliant club and the way we do things is about as ethical as it can get - but fans are being shafted by the PL and TV - huge money being made but fans are treated like they are not important with the VAR thing is about as anti-fan as it can get - they are ruining the sport at the highest level and the sad thing is, I don't think they see that.

I believe they can see it,its just that they don't care.Its run by money orientated people for money orientated people.VAR is simply one of their little sideshows to ensure the havenots are put in their place at the whim of poor officials who have never played the game and don't even learn from the mistakes that they make week in,week out.Fans will eventually turn away from the game. It might take a while,but turn away they will.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

As for those with dissatisfaction with the state of PL football, VAR etc., why not stop with the TV subscriptions instead of withdrawing support for our beloved team.

GHost? Luna? 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think the fact that the OP is posting on here shows that passion for NCFC exists. If you're really not that fussed anymore you don't sit and post about how much you're not fussed about it on here, not directly aimed at the OP but lot's on here do that 🙂

This season has been painful but me and my mates enjoy watching Norwich and the day that surrounds it.

Yep you have probably summed me up well there, NCFC is in my blood that’s why this Season, more than any I can recall, is so damn frustrating. I think it’s the fact that the club actually seem to be distancing themselves from the supporters this season. Imo things really aren’t great behind the scenes and lot of good club employees have left and it’s starting to show.

It's been nice not to have to go into work and have the pyss taken out of me by the non Norwich supporting staff for a few days...

I love going to games. Utter tripe this season but always a next game to see some shoots of positivity. I like a pie, a pint and a good chat with my mates and when the times are good it’s so worth being there. Got my first year as season ticket holder in DFs first season and it was quite dull at times. 0-0 midweek at home to Burton a low point. But then since I’ve had some of the best moments as a fan. Another one is just around the corner…..

Edited by SwearyCanary