Danke bitte

Webber’s mountain climbing training

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes, I saw that too. What about the fact that we had agreed a deal to sign Koulibaly + agreed terms with the player but that it fell through because they couldn't get a replacement? ☹️

+ Toby Alderweireld was close too!

Yes. Bit gutting. You have to hand it to McNally he certainly aimed high at that point in terms of transfer targets. Ultimately it perhaps came back to bite him when they fell through last minute. Clearly had good scouts then too. 

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

You just doubled down on your strawman. The point is that if it were maternity leave a pass would be given. No-one's disputed the need for legal protection. I'm simply saying that because he's mountain-climbing it's suddenly got some frothing at the mouth.

Both require the same thing - cover to be organised for a prolonged period of time. One just happens to be legally mandated, the other does not.

Although if we're going to have a discussion on how childfree people are hosed over in the work environment, that's one for the non-football section. There definitely is a problem there, but no need to discuss that in further detail here.

It doesn't 'just happen' to be legally mandated though- there are good reasons for it, hence why people wouldn't be frothing at the mouth.

By making the comparison between maternity leave and mountain climbling and calling them a double standard you clearly suggest there is an issue here- so what is it- people shouldn't get mat leave or they should be legally protected to be able to take loads of time off for mountain climbing?

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

So Webber is taking a large chunk (6-12 months) of unpaid time off to fully focus on his personal pursuits? And someone else has been brought in to replace him for this period? I obviously missed this identical process he is undertaking and the clubs explanation as to the cover.

So in your opinion I should support peoples legal right to have children and millionaires rights to undertake flights of fancy equally? I’m going to have to disagree sorry, and I don’t think that’s a double standard.

If you're critical of Webber for an ambitious charity undertaking, but not critical of someone on maternity leave then yes, it's a blatant double standard.

The issue lies with the organisation of cover in both cases.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

It doesn't 'just happen' to be legally mandated though- there are good reasons for it, hence why people wouldn't be frothing at the mouth.

By making the comparison between maternity leave and mountain climbling and calling them a double standard you clearly suggest there is an issue here- so what is it- people shouldn't get mat leave or they should be legally protected to be able to take loads of time off for mountain climbing?

This is for non-football as I could really derail the thread. I shall start one there.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

If you're critical of Webber for an ambitious charity undertaking, but not critical of someone on maternity leave then yes, it's a blatant double standard.

The issue lies with the organisation of cover in both cases.

I’m not critical of the undertaking, I’m critical of the execution of it v his work, something that if you were actually reading my position you would see. 

And which ironically would be a double standard in your comparison.

Just now, Monty13 said:

I’m not critical of the undertaking, I’m critical of the execution of it v his work, something that if you were actually reading my position you would see. 

And which ironically would be a double standard in your comparison.

Yet the remedy is the same in both cases - it's a matter of the club (or Webber) organising matters so it works in his absence.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Yet the remedy is the same in both cases - it's a matter of the club (or Webber) organising matters so it works in his absence.

And people are asking what that looks like because they’ve told us nothing. That’s what people are currently critical of because current information from the club is Webber is doing his job as normal and will also be undertaking this pursuit.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

And people are asking what that looks like because they’ve told us nothing. That’s what people are currently critical of because current information from the club is Webber is doing his job as normal and will also be undertaking this pursuit.

And the part in bold is the part where we actually agree. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

New thread started in Non-Football for this, so discussion can carry on there. 😉

Yes, This Photo from Everest Is Real - Outside Online

Let's not lose sight of just what he is contemplating.

We've all seen these pictures before. Crackpots, the lot of them. Sorry Mr. Webber.

I wouldn't embark upon all that even if I were to be promised 72 virgins, a million notes in a brown paper envelope and a courtesy bar waiting for me at the top.

Good luck to the man.

May he come back suitably enhanced, refreshed and with a new set of perspectives that help take Norwich City Football Club to similar peaks of achievement (corny.)

16 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

And the part in bold is the part where we actually agree. 

And as that was my point I’m not sure what we were arguing about other than you clearly have an issue with working parents for some reason.

I think, the issue with Webbers new foundation is that it gives the impression, rightly or wrongly, that he isn't 100% focused on his main job and that culture can spread amongst staff and players. Still not sure why he isn't supporting CSF... 

And as that was my point I’m not sure what we were arguing about other than you clearly have an issue with working parents for some reason.

No, I have an issue when one activity is left uncriticised, or the criticism is aimed squarely at the company, whilst another isn't even though the net result to the company is the same, namely a prolonged absence that requires reorganisation.

The criticism lies with the club, not Webber's mountain climbing.

Anyway, a separate thread has been started for that in Non-Football.

We should do a poll to see if people agree with Webber's decision to set up a new foundation and climb a big mountain .... Those wanting Delia to sell the club was 78% was it not... which was impressive but confusing given 83% (more impressive) seeming love her... 🤪

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

What current information from the club? Has there been any statements from the club about Stuart Webber climbing mountains?

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What current information from the club? Has there been any statements from the club about Stuart Webber climbing mountains?

Are there any staff left to do any communication? 

20 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

There are quotes from Webber who last time I checked works for NCFC.

The lack of current official statements and information from the club is what we are discussing, do keep up.

There are quotes from Webber who last time I checked works for NCFC.

The lack of current official statements and information from the club is what we are discussing, do keep up.

What are the quotes from Webber? 

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What are the quotes from Webber? 

You commented on the Pinkun article last time same as me which includes an outline of his training and preparation as well as quotes from Webber.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

You commented on the Pinkun article last time same as me which includes an outline of his training and preparation as well as quotes from Webber.

Those quotes are from the Foundation website, not the club.

It's difficult to 'keep up' when you are making stuff up.

34 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

No, I have an issue when one activity is left uncriticised, or the criticism is aimed squarely at the company, whilst another isn't even though the net result to the company is the same, namely a prolonged absence that requires reorganisation.

The criticism lies with the club, not Webber's mountain climbing.

Anyway, a separate thread has been started for that in Non-Football.

I mean feel free to criticise women on maternity leave if you like, no one’s stopping you.

Also just to reiterate the net result isn’t the same unless we are told Webber‘s job is being covered while he does this which we haven’t been.

And while you view both personal pursuits equally others may not.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Those quotes are from the Foundation website, not the club.

It's difficult to 'keep up' when you are making stuff up.

The foundation website quoting the Sporting Director of NCFC. 

As we are discussing NCFC has made no official statement of any kind on this, which is in itself a conscious choice. 

I mean feel free to criticise women on maternity leave if you like, no one’s stopping you.

Also just to reiterate the net result isn’t the same unless we are told Webber‘s job is being covered while he does this which we haven’t been.

And while you view both personal pursuits equally others may not.

That first one is a serious strawman, especially as I explicitly said in the comment you responded to that "the criticism lies with the club, not Webber's mountain climbing".

And if this is being covered and we're told to that effect, then as far as I'm concerned, I'm perfectly OK with that.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The foundation website quoting the Sporting Director of NCFC. 

As we are discussing NCFC has made no official statement of any kind on this, which is in itself a conscious choice. 

The Foundation website quoting one of it's trustees. Knowing how conscientious he is he probably wasn't filling his role as SD at the time.

Have the club issued a statement saying that they won't be commenting?

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

That first one is a serious strawman, especially as I explicitly said in the comment you responded to that "the criticism lies with the club, not Webber's mountain climbing".

And if this is being covered and we're told to that effect, then as far as I'm concerned, I'm perfectly OK with that.

You were complaining people aren’t criticising both pursuits, I just pointed out you are free to if you want, but I suspect a large % of people don’t see them as directly equivocal.

Thats your opinion, people are free to question a senior person in an organisation concentrating on personal pursuits in a period of poor performance of the organisation if they want, it’s up to them.

I happen to agree that the club has some serious questions to answer around this situation but I don’t see an issue with people questioning Webbers commitment, especially when he is yet to address that. The Pinkun guys on their latest pod said they’ve requested an interview and been denied.

And as we haven’t been officially told anything by the club people are free to criticise the lack of transparency on this, which is what they are doing.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Foundation website quoting one of it's trustees. Knowing how conscientious he is he probably wasn't filling his role as SD at the time.

Have the club issued a statement saying that they won't be commenting?

So his words, even though they are directly related to his role at NCFC have no validity to the conversation, ok then.

Funnily enough most organisations don’t make a statement they won’t be commenting on a situation they don’t want to as that tends to be very bad PR, they just don’t comment which is what they are doing.

The Pinkun reporters said on their podcast they’d reached out to Webber for an interview and been denied.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Did they say if we missed out on any players because Webber was climbing Kilimanjaro?

They didn't, but I'd have thought it highly unlikely!

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. Bit gutting. You have to hand it to McNally he certainly aimed high at that point in terms of transfer targets. Ultimately it perhaps came back to bite him when they fell through last minute. Clearly had good scouts then too. 

It gets a bit easier - once you've stayed up for a couple of seasons (and pretty comfortably as well) players that wouldn't look at a newly promoted team become available. You are fishing in a bigger pond with more quality fish to catch! 

56 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The Pinkun reporters said on their podcast they’d reached out to Webber for an interview and been denied.

For me this one sentence sums up, everything that is wrong with NCFC communications at the moment and it has been getting worse this last year.

Maybe the OSP could ask the relevant questions at their next meeting with the club which i understand is early in April.

@Lessingham Canary @Feedthewolf.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

For me this one sentence sums up, everything that is wrong with NCFC communications at the moment and it has been getting worse this last year.

Maybe the OSP could ask the relevant questions at their next meeting with the club which i understand is early in April.

@Lessingham Canary @Feedthewolf.

It is a shame because for a period under the new structure I thought comms between the club and the fans were significantly improved- you had Webber and the owners going to talk to local, fan created podcasts, regular access to players and generally a lot of transparency between the higher ups in the club and the fans. That seems to have dropped off a fair bit and instead the club is seemingly becoming a bit more inward.