Danke bitte

Webber’s mountain climbing training

Just read this article on My Football Writer regarding Webber’s training.

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2022/03/28/gresham-students-an-attack-of-the-crampons-cotopaxi-iconic-club-badges/

I didn’t realise it was this intensive. 

It makes me wonder how he’s permitted that much time off from his role and whether we’re essentially sailing under Neil Adams for the next year. 

All feels a bit “job for the boys”. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Just read this article on My Football Writer regarding Webber’s training.

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2022/03/28/gresham-students-an-attack-of-the-crampons-cotopaxi-iconic-club-badges/

I didn’t realise it was this intensive. 

It makes me wonder how he’s permitted that much time off from his role and whether we’re essentially sailing under Neil Adams for the next year. 

All feels a bit “job for the boys”. 

This is exactly what's happening. Good old Norwich, if you played for us you get a job for life...🙄

Webber is engineering himself an exit from the club with damage limitation to his CV in mind.

• Like 1

I don't get why you'd take someone who works well with youngsters and is quite a timid character into a sporting director/office role.

Like most supporters, love Neil Adams and what he's done on and off the pitch for the club, but it's a round peg in a square hole that's slowly being squeezed in cause we like this round peg.

Really concerned that we start next season with Adams as SD - he's just not a deal maker or imposing character to progress the position, at least from my impression of him.   We've lost a lot of good people who worked under Webber too.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 4

Neil Adams has a track record of success, he's a top flight championship winner with Everton, he's won the most prestigious domestic competition for youth players and his tenure as Loan Manager has been very successful. 

He fully deserves his promotion to be SW's deputy and when the time comes he'll be a great SD.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Neil Adams has a track record of success, he's a top flight championship winner with Everton, he's won the most prestigious domestic competition for youth players and his tenure as Loan Manager has been very successful. 

He fully deserves his promotion to be SW's deputy and when the time comes he'll be a great SD.

I know how you love stats... his managerial career with Norwich? 34.4%

56 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We've lost a lot of good people who worked under Webber too.

Given the mantra people join new companies and leave bad bosses, that might be an indicator that the imposing character doesn't necessarily work as an SD. Webber has proven a brilliant Championship SD but a woeful PL one, so I wouldn't want a carbon copy of him as a replacement, as so far he's demonstrably not what we need if we want to become an established PL side.

His tenure as Norwich manager aside, Adams has been a broadly successful guy. And he does have an edge in him somewhere, you must remember, "Are you stupid Barry?"!!!!

I think it's a bit disrespectful to claim Neil Adams is just getting a job because we like him and he used to play for us. I remember people on here spouting rubbish about him becoming Loans Manager but in fact his job was hugely successful with young players being very complimentary and national media interviewing him as his role was seen as a really successful move.

Is he or will he be a good Sporting Director? I have absolutely no idea. As I suspect, is the same for those criticising him before he's had a chance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I think it's a bit disrespectful to claim Neil Adams is just getting a job because we like him and he used to play for us. I remember people on here spouting rubbish about him becoming Loans Manager but in fact his job was hugely successful with young players being very complimentary and national media interviewing him as his role was seen as a really successful move.

Is he or will he be a good Sporting Director? I have absolutely no idea. As I suspect, is the same for those criticising him before he's had a chance.

Exactly- Adams clearly wasn't a great manager but that doesn't mean he doesn't have what it takes to be a good SD.

Saying that I do get the skepticism. The last couple of times we've decided the best person for big job was someone already in house we ended up with Adams and Gunn as managers. I hope Adams makes a good SD but I'm not going to say it doesn't feel like a return to the comfort zone of 'nice guys' who just 'get the club.' 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Exactly. Adams has an excellent CV in every sense. If it was a choice between Neil Adams and Russell Martin as manager, it is Neil all the way. As Sporting Director I am sure he would devote to it full time and not expect his other half to be on the payroll.

What we had with Webber was a fresh pair of eyes evaluating all the good and bad things about NCFC, with a huge benefit arising from it. 

It just feels Adams is another addition to the cozy club, not there to make waves. It might be just what we need, but a fresh pair of eyes might achieve another huge benefit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Exactly. Adams has an excellent CV in every sense. If it was a choice between Neil Adams and Russell Martin as manager, it is Neil all the way. As Sporting Director I am sure he would devote to it full time and not expect his other half to be on the payroll.

Who 'expects' their other half to be on the payroll?

We all understand that you don't like Webber but lying about him is silly and you should stop.

• Like 1

It is feeling like the revolution is over. Webber brought a fresh approach and different verve when he joined, with a real ambition to make us a respected Premier League team. I wonder if the limitations of the model are starting to dawn on him. There certainly needs to be open dialogue from Webber once the season is over about our performance for this season and plan going forwards. At the moment it all seems a bit deflated and stale. Has he still got the drive and determination to propel us forward?

Edited by (Hoola)Han Solo
  • Like 1

Google the bodies on Everest, its pretty grim. (Green Boots in particular)
Climbing that mountain is a selfish roll of the dice and a wave to the reaper. I see it as an irresponsible rich kids hobby opposed to some great challenge. 
Hope Webber survives but i dont support anyone going up that mountain.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

His tenure as Norwich manager aside, Adams has been a broadly successful guy. And he does have an edge in him somewhere, you must remember, "Are you stupid Barry?"!!!!

Yes, of course. But it's less about having an edge or the ability to react in that manner as he did with Barry when pushed, it's more his demeanour and ability to poker face at the negotiation table that concerns me.

The past few prem seasons highlight that (As an ideal) we need to be fishing for fewer, more established players in future and holding on to our talent for as long as possible.

I really don't know what respect he'd command in that role externally, or for holding players such as Cantwell & Buendia - i.e. with promotion, financially we could've sustained Emi and built on our squad with fewer quality signings.  Despite some of the team moving on, Webber's ego got the better of him and he went on a "rock to diamonds" crusade believing his own hype.

This role is absolutely crucial for us if we continue with this model, everything pivots from the decisions and actions conducted there.  And I don't think many people would've looked at Adams as a shoe-in for Sporting Director, we cannot let sentiments rule such a critical position.

I guess to sum up my concerns from a management perspective is that we're losing more in one area, than gaining in another.

50 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Google the bodies on Everest, its pretty grim. (Green Boots in particular)
Climbing that mountain is a selfish roll of the dice and a wave to the reaper. I see it as an irresponsible rich kids hobby opposed to some great challenge. 
Hope Webber survives but i dont support anyone going up that mountain.

I've got enormous respect for *some* people who climb Everest.

I've got very little respect for people who climb Everest when they have a young family. I personally couldn't even contemplate the idea of abandoning my kids to pursue an entirely selfish ambition (regardless of the charitable perspective) that would take me away from home for months and months. Later in life, when your kids are teenagers or older, go for it. But with a young family? It's the pursuit of a flagrant narcissist.

I know fatality rates have dropped massively in recent years so that the overall death rate has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but to actively pursue anything that doesn't involve serving your country or attempting to save human lives and has less than a 1 in 100 chance of dying is unimaginable for me as a Dad of three young children.

What bothers me about this is that whilst you cannot tell precise amounts from the accounts, its clear Webber (and Zoe) is getting paid a very significant amount by the club in salaries and bonuses. Is he taking a cut in that to go off and do all this stuff? How much time is he applying to his day job if he is training this intensively and spending all this time on his new foundation.

Of course it may well be that this is truly a selfless act which he is squeezing in between long hours plotting our route back to the promised land or he has agreed some form of gradual handover to Adams which sees the latter fulfil more of his role. Or it could be someone on a very good salary, clearly not really feeling under any pressure despite failure over the last year, taking advantage of a job where he has daily access to fitness training facilities to fulfil a personal ambition and employers who appear tolerant of him swanning off for weeks on end.

Why did they not just do it for the club affiliated CSF which already does much of the stuff their new foundation says it is going to do. Is this foundation not actually competing with the CSF?

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

He has a good cv in some senses. However, i'm not sure i've seen any evidence of Adams having any rleevant experience in senior management, transfer negotiations, dealing with agents etc. 

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He has a good cv in some senses. However, i'm not sure i've seen any evidence of Adams having any rleevant experience in senior management, transfer negotiations, dealing with agents etc. 

We made some very good signings in the summer of 2014. 

42 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What bothers me about this is that whilst you cannot tell precise amounts from the accounts, its clear Webber (and Zoe) is getting paid a very significant amount by the club in salaries and bonuses. Is he taking a cut in that to go off and do all this stuff? How much time is he applying to his day job if he is training this intensively and spending all this time on his new foundation.

Of course it may well be that this is truly a selfless act which he is squeezing in between long hours plotting our route back to the promised land or he has agreed some form of gradual handover to Adams which sees the latter fulfil more of his role. Or it could be someone on a very good salary, clearly not really feeling under any pressure despite failure over the last year, taking advantage of a job where he has daily access to fitness training facilities to fulfil a personal ambition and employers who appear tolerant of him swanning off for weeks on end.

Why did they not just do it for the club affiliated CSF which already does much of the stuff their new foundation says it is going to do. Is this foundation not actually competing with the CSF?

You should work for Fox News. All this it could be this and it could be that nonsense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Possibly but then who were our scouts then and Mcnally was also on the scene who, despite losing it somewaht at the end, did know how to negotiate.

Look i'm not saying Adams will necessarily be bad at the job (if indeed he ever gets it) and he did well coaching the youth team but I also don;t think that the jobs he's done so far for us are what I would call a "cracking cv" for a Sporting Director. 

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

You should work for Fox News. All this it could be this and it could be that nonsense.

There are legitimate questions for fans/shareholders to be asking about these arrangements and whether the club is getting the level of commitment it deserves at an importanty time. You may be happy to just swallow the party line unquestionably at all times but others are not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We also made some crap ones, ce la vie

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

We also made some crap ones, ce la vie

As John Bond liked to say "sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to make sure you get a prince."

28 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

There are legitimate questions for fans/shareholders to be asking about these arrangements and whether the club is getting the level of commitment it deserves at an importanty time. You may be happy to just swallow the party line unquestionably at all times but others are not. 

You are accusing someone of not doing their job properly and you have absolutely no evidence.

That's not legitimate, that's stupid speculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

You are accusing someone of not doing their job properly and you have absolutely no evidence.

That's not legitimate, that's stupid speculation.

I’ve not accused him of not doing his job properly (although he’s not performed well in the last year in terms of the target of staying in the prem) I am questioning whether he will be able to do his job to the level we have a right to expect given the amount of time away and commitment involved in this Everest project. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve not accused him of not doing his job properly (although he’s not performed well in the last year in terms of the target of staying in the prem) I am questioning whether he will be able to do his job to the level we have a right to expect given the amount of time away and commitment involved in this Everest project. 

He is a professional and I don’t doubt that he will have put things in place for any time away from the job that is needed. We might not like all of the things he’s done in the job, but there’s no suggestion that he’s ever not been 100% committed or responsible in the post.

Fans not knowing minutiae of of how this is being managed doesn’t mean that it isn’t being done, only that we don’t know about it. 

• Like 1