Danke bitte

Webber’s mountain climbing training

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I’ve not accused him of not doing his job properly (although he’s not performed well in the last year in terms of the target of staying in the prem) I am questioning whether he will be able to do his job to the level we have a right to expect given the amount of time away and commitment involved in this Everest project. 

More stupid speculation.

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Who 'expects' their other half to be on the payroll?

We all understand that you don't like Webber but lying about him is silly and you should stop.

Perhaps 'expectation' isn't the right expression and nothing to do with liking him.

Just a belief that it is a situation that isn't appropriate when both are working at senior levels. Also, as others are implying, there is a balance to be struck between 'drive' and 'responsibility'.

If one is a part timer, a part time salary is appropriate especially when one's spouse is presumably party to decisions such as season ticket price increases. Could be seen as a conflict of interest.

• Like 1

I  can visualize the photo shoot now,Webber in his climbing gear,Delia in tow,glass of wine on the go,''Win or lose this club climbs to new heights''

10 hours ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps 'expectation' isn't the right expression and nothing to do with liking him.

Just a belief that it is a situation that isn't appropriate when both are working at senior levels. Also, as others are implying, there is a balance to be struck between 'drive' and 'responsibility'.

If one is a part timer, a part time salary is appropriate especially when one's spouse is presumably party to decisions such as season ticket price increases. Could be seen as a conflict of interest.

Again more stupid speculation and innuendo.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Again more stupid speculation and innuendo.

Which piece of it is speculation?

All of it is a reasonable interpretation of Club events as reported in the press and it is fair to say that the EDP report on the subject of this thread reads like a premature April Fools joke.

The Club has the option, or perhaps duty, of communicating better if fans are not interpreting the information correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Which piece of it is speculation?

All of it is a reasonable interpretation of Club events as reported in the press and it is fair to say that the EDP report on the subject of this thread reads like a premature April Fools joke.

The Club has the option, or perhaps duty, of communicating better if fans are not interpreting the information correctly.

Nothing you say has any substance.

You mistake 'reasonable interpretation' for supposition.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Nothing you say has any substance.

You mistake 'reasonable interpretation' for supposition.

Your aggressive defence of this issue is just really odd.

Of course in the absence of clear information from the club/Webber people are making assumptions and speculating on how this will affect Webber’s ability to do his job effectively based on what we know. This is a forum after all.

You are making a supposition yourself by defending it as presumably having no impact?

Still waiting on how much you personally think this will affect his ability to do his role from the last thread?

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Your aggressive defence of this issue is just really odd.

Of course in the absence of clear information from the club/Webber people are making assumptions and speculating on how this will affect Webber’s ability to do his job effectively based on what we know. This is a forum after all.

You are making a supposition yourself by defending it as presumably having no impact?

Still waiting on how much you personally think this will affect his ability to do his role from the last thread?

What you say is perfectly OK if you believe you should know all the details of his contract with the club.

What the other posters are doing are making stuff up like he 'expects' his 'other half' (Essex) to be on the payroll and that he is using the facilities at Colney to train for the climbing instead of doing his job (Jim).

These are stupid assumptions. 

I don't think it's my place to tell Webber what he can do when he's not at work.

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

What you say is perfectly OK if you believe you should know all the details of his contract with the club.

What the other posters are doing are making stuff up like he 'expects' his 'other half' (Essex) to be on the payroll and that he is using the facilities at Colney to train for the climbing instead of doing his job (Jim).

I don't think it's my place to tell Webber what he can do when he's not at work.

He is using the facilities to train. I didn’t say “instead of doing his job” but it’s handy perk to have when training for something like he’s taking on. 

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ps snd he can do what he likes when not at work. The point is how often is he not going to be at work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I've got enormous respect for *some* people who climb Everest.

I've got very little respect for people who climb Everest when they have a young family. I personally couldn't even contemplate the idea of abandoning my kids to pursue an entirely selfish ambition (regardless of the charitable perspective) that would take me away from home for months and months. Later in life, when your kids are teenagers or older, go for it. But with a young family? It's the pursuit of a flagrant narcissist.

I know fatality rates have dropped massively in recent years so that the overall death rate has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but to actively pursue anything that doesn't involve serving your country or attempting to save human lives and has less than a 1 in 100 chance of dying is unimaginable for me as a Dad of three young children.

That's a strange place to place a divide. I'd be inclined to say that's a grand example for kids to learn from - dedication to training, willingness to challenge oneself, whilst raising - hopefully - a ton of wonga for charity in the process.

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He is using the facilities to train. I didn’t say “instead of doing his job” but it’s handy perk to have when training for something like he’s taking on. 

How much time is he applying to his day job if he is training this intensively and spending all this time on his new foundation.

41 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

So ignoring the noise of some of the more outlandish claims, do you think this is going to have any affect on his ability to do the best he can as NCFCs Sporting Director?

I think any supporter is well within their rights to question what affect such a demanding activity has on his ability to perform his role to the maximum output.

51 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Meanwhile, I do as a shareholder.  I am extremely concerned at the creeping reduction of corporate governance at the club and how there is a substantial breakdown of communication between club and its community. 

At a plc, when a senior executive makes it public that he is effectively going on sabbatical for a relatively lengthy period at what could be a critical period for it, there is a need for a clear statement of how long, the impact on the club, who is covering for them, mitigation and contingencies etc. This is in order to prevent exactly the sort of discussion in this thread leading to an impact on share price and loss of investor confidence.  Ultimately if it is seen that a senior director can't give a toss about the organisation and the rest of his colleagues don't set out a clear statement of how they cover for him, why should anyone else believe the organisation is still going to progress.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

So ignoring the noise of some of the more outlandish claims, do you think this is going to have any affect on his ability to do the best he can as NCFCs Sporting Director?

I think any supporter is well within their rights to question what affect such a demanding activity has on his ability to perform his role to the maximum output.

His training has already started, has there been an issue so far? The person who is best placed to decide the effect on his abilty to do his job is Webber himself. He is honest enough to know what is required.  I do not doubt that he has always done the best he can as NCFCs Sporting Director. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

How much time is he applying to his day job if he is training this intensively and spending all this time on his new foundation.

Not the same point - that point was about access to club facilities. 

I stand by the other question. Just looking at the challenges he’s done so far this year and those still programmed there is at least 7/8 weeks of expeditions. In between that he’s clearly also training very intensively, whilst also trying to set up a charity foundation and do his full time job. And that’s not including the actual climb next year and prep for it. 

im currently engaged in a couple of voluntary community initiatives and in the past I’ve trained for endurance events. I can honestly say both have impacted on the time I spent/spend on my work but I work for myself so if I work a bit less, I earn a bit less. I’m not paid a very substantial salary by an employer. 

54 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's a strange place to place a divide. I'd be inclined to say that's a grand example for kids to learn from - dedication to training, willingness to challenge oneself, whilst raising - hopefully - a ton of wonga for charity in the process.

You might be inclined to say that. But an 8-year-old who sticks one in the top corner on a Saturday morning and looks to the sideline only to remember his old man isn't there for the 6th week running because he off fulfilling a personal goal would probably disagree. So would the 5-year-old wondering why Mummy is reading the bedtime story for the 30th night in a row. Or the 12-year-old who has to miss Basketball practice because her Mum can't get her there as her younger sister needs to be somewhere else and it's not possible to get in two places at once. Like I said, not something I could contemplate for even half a second, nor could I respect anyone that would. But that's just based on my approach to fatherhood.

Don't worry kids, your Dad is climbing a mountain, that's all that matters.

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You might be inclined to say that. But an 8-year-old who sticks one in the top corner on a Saturday morning and looks to the sideline only to remember his old man isn't there for the 6th week running because he off fulfilling a personal goal would probably disagree. So would the 5-year-old wondering why Mummy is reading the bedtime story for the 30th night in a row. Or the 12-year-old who has to miss Basketball practice because her Mum can't get her there as her younger sister needs to be somewhere else and it's not possible to get in two places at once. Like I said, not something I could contemplate for even half a second, nor could I respect anyone that would. But that's just based on my approach to fatherhood.

Does the same apply to parents working away from home for prolonged periods then? Not to mention I'd be pretty surprised if Webber and his missus have not put measures in place as a fall-back. If Webber's not there, then grandparents might be, or a childminder might be.

I don't doubt the genuine nature of your approach to fatherhood, but calling Webber a narcissist - a term that's ultimately a psychiatric term - just because his style of parenting doesn't tally with yours is a low blow.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

That's like the choice I made when my first child came along.  Did I want to continue working 16 hour days / living away from home 6 weeks at a time, or take a drop in salary and do something more interesting locally.  I chose the latter and hope my kids have benefitted as a consequence (touch wood both are positive young people who make good decisions), but its all about choices. Webber probably spends no time at home at the moment and this probably impacts on his decision making.   

38 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

His training has already started, has there been an issue so far? The person who is best placed to decide the effect on his abilty to do his job is Webber himself. He is honest enough to know what is required.  I do not doubt that he has always done the best he can as NCFCs Sporting Director. 

Maybe he has done and is doing the best he can.

When he introduces new commitments though,  perhaps there should be an independent judge who gives appropriate assurances to supporters and shareholders, or determines that somebody else's commitment may be preferable.

Why is Webber not doing this challenge to boost CSF? Why setup his own foundation if not to boost his Cv. Surely if he is committed to the "project" then he'd back the CSF 100%?

Anyway all this silly speculation is like saying Adams would be a good replacement for Webber without him doing the job or any evidence to prove it :0)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Maybe he has done and is doing the best he can.

When he introduces new commitments though,  perhaps there should be an independent judge who gives appropriate assurances to supporters and shareholders, or determines that somebody else's commitment may be preferable.

Have you ever been in a job where you had to tell your employer what you did when you weren't at work?

Webber should be judged by what he does at work, so far there hasn't been a problem with his commitment.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Have you ever been in a job where you had to tell your employer what you did when you weren't at work?

Webber should be judged by what he does at work, so far there hasn't been a problem with his commitment.

If I was being paid a significant 6 figure salary and wanted to go off climbing mountains for 2-3 months a year then yes I would expect to have to tell my employer about it and get their approval. If I worked for a company with lots of shareholders/fans and was a senior executive I think I would also not be surprised if shareholders and/or supporters asked some questions about how it might work. 

If I was the trustee of a charitable foundation that works with young people in the community and my other half who is a senior executive at a company with very strong existing links to that charitable foundation was proposing to raise money for charity to help young people in the community I might also tentatively suggest that I already know of a charitable foundation than any sponsorship monies could go to.  

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

PS How do we know that our failure to sign anyone in January was not impacted upon by the fact our Sporting Director was up Kilimanjaro on the QT?

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Well based on our incredibly poor transfer windows and performance this season, maybe? But as you refuse to let anyone speculate on anything how could we possibly answer that question?

So your position is Webber is the best person to decide whether he is doing the best job or not for NCFC? That’s an incredible level of faith you have there.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

PS How do we know that our failure to sign anyone in January was not impacted upon by the fact our Sporting Director was up Kilimanjaro on the QT?

Which players did we miss out on in January?

It was our stated intention not to buy anyone in January.

Webber was away for that reason. The reason we didn't buy anyone was because we didn't plan to. 

You doing it again Jim, where does 'on the QT' come from? You made it up, didn't you?

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Which players did we miss out on in January?

It was our stated intention not to buy anyone in January.

Webber was away for that reason. The reason we didn't buy anyone was because we didn't plan to. 

You doing it again Jim, where does 'on the QT' come from? You made it up, didn't you?

You’re getting very defensive here without actually offering any sort of opinion (other than your staunch defence of the club’s senior staff and majority shareholders at all costs).

So what is your view? Do you think Stuart Webber can be 100% focused on his role whilst preparing for this climb? Do you think this project is a benefit to NCFC? Is this a sensible thing for Stuart to place onus on when we are having such a terrible season? I think if we were higher up the table this would be less of an issue, but supporters will be more critical at a time like this. There seems to be a general sense of apathy at the top of the club regarding the current situation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Well based on our incredibly poor transfer windows and performance this season, maybe? But as you refuse to let anyone speculate on anything how could we possibly answer that question?

So your position is Webber is the best person to decide whether he is doing the best job or not for NCFC? That’s an incredible level of faith you have there.

There weren't very many people who critical of our signings during the transfer window this summer, it's always a gamble even with the amounts we had to spend on the players.

I said I thought he was honest enough to know if it was affecting his ability to do the job.

I wonder how many of the critics would be similar if our DoF were a woman and this was maternity leave?

5 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

You’re getting very defensive here without actually offering any sort of opinion (other than your staunch defence of the club’s senior staff and majority shareholders at all costs).

So what is your view? Do you think Stuart Webber can be 100% focused on his role whilst preparing for this climb? Do you think this project is a benefit to NCFC? Is this a sensible thing for Stuart to place onus on when we are having such a terrible season? I think if we were higher up the table this would be less of an issue, but supporters will be more critical at a time like this. There seems to be a general sense of apathy at the top of the club regarding the current situation.

I have stated that what he does when he's not at work is up to him. I've not mentioned the majority shareholders in this matter, why did you have to make that bit up?

I think that if Stuart Webber believes he can do his job for NCFC and prepare for this event then it's his decision.

I don't think that it has affected our results on the pitch, in what way do you think it has, did Josh Sargent under hit that shot against Brighton because he was thinking about Stuart Webber climbing a mountain?