Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Football365 on Billy G

Rating the worst signings from every premier league team season 21/22 we have this...

Norwich – Billy Gilmour (loan)
We generally look to swerve loans here because no matter how bad they are, at least the damage is largely reversible, but given how well Norwich’s last midfield loan signing from a big London club went, how highly rated Gilmour is and how utterly ineffectively crud he has been, it’s hard to top. None of Norwich’s summer signings have absolutely dazzled – the league table looks as it does for a reason – they’ve at least shown some glimpses of what they’re about. More importantly, they will all most likely be instrumental in Norwich’s inevitable promotion next season. Gilmour has just been a waste of everyone’s time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NWC said:

Rating the worst signings from every premier league team season 21/22 we have this...

Norwich – Billy Gilmour (loan)
We generally look to swerve loans here because no matter how bad they are, at least the damage is largely reversible, but given how well Norwich’s last midfield loan signing from a big London club went, how highly rated Gilmour is and how utterly ineffectively crud he has been, it’s hard to top. None of Norwich’s summer signings have absolutely dazzled – the league table looks as it does for a reason – they’ve at least shown some glimpses of what they’re about. More importantly, they will all most likely be instrumental in Norwich’s inevitable promotion next season. Gilmour has just been a waste of everyone’s time.

Blimey, a non-Norwich based reporter who has actually taken time to watch Billy G and reach an accurate conclusion.

Remember though, it's not his fault, he'd be awesome with world-class players around it. Or something like that.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Remember though, it's not his fault, he'd be awesome with world-class players around

It probably isn't and he probably would be. 

I can see why we thought he would be useful to us but it was painfully obvious after two or three games that he couldn't perform his intended role in this team and he should have been ditched ages ago. Comfortably our most disappointing signing given the hype he arrived with.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Blimey, a non-Norwich based reporter who has actually taken time to watch Billy G and reach an accurate conclusion.

Remember though, it's not his fault, he'd be awesome with world-class players around it. Or something like that.

He's all set to replace Kante don't you know 😉

Interesting take, thanks for sharing.

A signing I was very excited about, but for a multitude of reasons just hasn't worked. Still hoping we can find a 21-year-old version of Tettey from somewhere.

Will be interesting to see where wee Billy ends up, it won't be at Chelsea but I genuinely have no idea what level he'd be suited to.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I know that Norwich fans tend to mock and deride the "Gilmour plays better with better players around him" shtick, but there is something in that.

I also know that the English also tend to mock and deride the Scotland team, but we're just off deservedly beating a strong Denmark team 2 - 0, so, we aren't that bad.

Gilmour hasn't had a bad performance for Scotland in 10 appearances. How many of the Scotland strongest XI would get into the Norwich XI? 

Gordon - Probably not.

Robertson - Yes

Tierney- Yes

Hanley - Obviously 

McTominay - Yes

Patterson - Maybe (Just joined Everton for £12m rising to £16m)

McGregor - Yes

Gilmour - He already is

McGinn - Yes

Dykes - Yes (I have a feeling that this might raise a few eyebrows but Pukki scored 7 in 27 matches in the SPL (Celtic), Dykes scored 11 in 28 (Livingston))

Adams - Yes

So that's 9 (or 10) out of 11.

If you have a spare 90 minutes you should watch Scotland play Poland tonight (KO: 19:45). See what he does against Lewandwski and Co.

Personally, I think the loan has been great for Billy Gilmour as well as Scotland. That won't cut any (Colman's) mustard with Norwich fans . And believe it or not, I think Gilmour's professionalism will rub off on your kids.

Will be interesting to see if he starts tonight against Poland.. Might be just a friendly but will be interesting to see how he does

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I know that Norwich fans tend to mock and deride the "Gilmour plays better with better players around him" shtick, but there is something in that.

I also know that the English also tend to mock and deride the Scotland team, but we're just off deservedly beating a strong Denmark team 2 - 0, so, we aren't that bad.

Gilmour hasn't had a bad performance for Scotland in 10 appearances. How many of the Scotland strongest XI would get into the Norwich XI? 

Gordon - Probably not.

Robertson - Yes

Tierney- Yes

Hanley - Obviously 

McTominay - Yes

McGregor - Yes

Gilmour - He already is

McGinn - Yes

Dykes - Yes (I have a feeling that this might raise a few eyebrows but Pukki scored 7 in 27 matches in the SPL (Celtic), Dykes scored 11 in 28 (Livingston))

Adams - Yes

If you have a spare 90 minutes you should watch Scotland play Poland tonight (KO: 19:45). See what he does against Lewandwski and Co.

Personally, I think the loan has been great for Billy Gilmour as well as Scotland. That won't cut any (Colman's) mustard with Norwich fans . And believe it or not, I think Gilmour's professionalism will rub off on your kids.

😇Put Krul in goal and hey 👋 presto Norwich have a good team there. Sorted. Big Kenny on the bench along with Kane and Bamford. Dream team. 🤫

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Gordon - Probably not.

Robertson - Yes

Tierney- Yes

Hanley - Obviously 

McTominay - Yes

McGregor - Yes

Gilmour - He already is

McGinn - Yes

Adams - Yes

The Dykes comment won't raise any eyebrows. It will make anyone who has recently sipped a tea spit it all over their computer or trigger a crisis at Norfolk and Norwich A&E to deal with a sudden spike in patients with split sides.

It's a peculiar comparison to select whilst ignoring more recent performances in the Championship. I mean 7 in 27 and 11 in 28 isn't actually massively different, particularly when 2 of Dykes goals were penalties (0 of Pukki's were) and Pukki also played several of those matches out of position wide right. I suspect Dykes was always centre forward. But what's most peculiar is that you ignore their Championship records. 20 goals in 64 games for Dykes can't either tie the shoelaces of 55 goals in 84 games (a goal every 3.2 games compared to a goal every 1.5). He's literally twice as efficient in front of goal in the Championship as Dykes.

Dykes. Better than Pukki. That's going to keep me going for a while.

Now excuse me whilst I go and find some kitchen roll, I've some tea to mop up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gilmour's professionalism will rub off on our kids????    Snot like that is exactly why he gets a bad rap. Leave the lad alone, he's a good trier but be like the grown-ups and just accept it's not worked out well, the OP is on the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Segura said:

Interesting take, thanks for sharing.

A signing I was very excited about, but for a multitude of reasons just hasn't worked. Still hoping we can find a 21-year-old version of Tettey from somewhere.

Will be interesting to see where wee Billy ends up, it won't be at Chelsea but I genuinely have no idea what level he'd be suited to.

I know and totally agree with the tettey comment. I just can't believe there isn't one scout who his a name in his pocket for that intended role. It's exactly what was needed three year ago. Is there no developments on any players of that criteria, must have or should have been watching his development for two years or so, can see if he would fancy and fit us. 

Then we hit well with Skipp. And as if there isn't another like him yet no one else clambers for him, only us. This Is not to say he isn't excellent it's to to offer the thought that they must have or know alternative.

Id like to ask the board and Webber, and the scouting team, who are the names who have been considered and scouted for either the Skipp or tettey mould, and what's the progress or why I have we not got them. Did you stop trying after amadou? 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Will be interesting to see if he starts tonight against Poland.. Might be just a friendly but will be interesting to see how he does

Hanley and Gilmour start. Kenny on the bench.

Screenshot_20220324-154218_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

McLean on the bench? Take notes Dean!

You can ask him personally when you attend the Deano and Shakey evening😂

I'm sure if you miss that one there will be a big Stu and Zoe evening organised. Now that would be a riveting evening.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I don’t know who the reporter is but they start with “We generally look to swerve loans here” so it’s clearly a supporter. So not that surprising?

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don’t know who the reporter is but they start with “We generally look to swerve loans here” so it’s clearly a supporter. So not that surprising?

I interpreted that as ‘we’ at football365 generally swerve loans for our article summarising worst players in each team but for Billy G they made an exception 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I interpreted that as ‘we’ at football365 generally swerve loans for our article summarising worst players in each team but for Billy G they made an exception 

This, @Nuff Said

17 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Fair enough, that does seem plausible reading it again! It’s just hard to imagine anyone else writing something considered like that. It’s almost like they watched games with an open mind and didn’t think “Norwich don’t make any effort to stay up” before kickoff.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 15:27, canarydan23 said:

The Dykes comment won't raise any eyebrows. It will make anyone who has recently sipped a tea spit it all over their computer or trigger a crisis at Norfolk and Norwich A&E to deal with a sudden spike in patients with split sides.

It's a peculiar comparison to select whilst ignoring more recent performances in the Championship. I mean 7 in 27 and 11 in 28 isn't actually massively different, particularly when 2 of Dykes goals were penalties (0 of Pukki's were) and Pukki also played several of those matches out of position wide right. I suspect Dykes was always centre forward. But what's most peculiar is that you ignore their Championship records. 20 goals in 64 games for Dykes can't either tie the shoelaces of 55 goals in 84 games (a goal every 3.2 games compared to a goal every 1.5). He's literally twice as efficient in front of goal in the Championship as Dykes.

Dykes. Better than Pukki. That's going to keep me going for a while.

Now excuse me whilst I go and find some kitchen roll, I've some tea to mop up.

Haha! Yeah! I've seen some corkers on this board before but Dykes better than Pukki is probably the best one yet. Unbelievable Jeff.

On 24/03/2022 at 22:01, TheDarkKnight said:

You're welcome. 🙂

I genuinely don't know where Billy will end up. It could be at Chelsea, ya never know. 🙂

Yeah. He's pretty much solidified his place on the first XI. 

He did alright. It really helps him having McGregor and McGinn flanking him.

I’ve not watched him play for Scotland and I’m genuinely curious what he offers the team? Does he make creative passes? Because we just see very little of that at City, he generally just plays a safe ball sideways or backwards. Even when he has time & space eg when we played Newcastle and they had 10 men for most of the game, he still didn’t contribute much.

54 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I’ve not watched him play for Scotland and I’m genuinely curious what he offers the team? Does he make creative passes? Because we just see very little of that at City, he generally just plays a safe ball sideways or backwards. Even when he has time & space eg when we played Newcastle and they had 10 men for most of the game, he still didn’t contribute much.

He is Scotland’s link between defence and attack. He sets the tempo of our game, picking out Robertson and Patterson bombing forward from full back, McGinn bombing forward from everywhere. He’s always available for a pass and helps us keep possession in tight spaces where in the past we used to hoof it. It helps that we have people comfortable on the ball throughout the team (add Tierney, McTominay, McGregor to the names mentioned above).

He’s not afraid to get stuck in as well. Was widely praised for a spectacular clearance off the line on Thursday night.

It’s not an exaggeration to say his reputation in Scotland is growing with every game he plays for the national team.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

7 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

He's one of those players who links the defence to the midfield. He'll come deep from the defenders and offer for the ball, take it in tight spaces and recycle it and retain possession. 

I know. I know. The above doesn't sound glamorous. And it isn’t. But every team needs a player who does it. Who was it that called Deschamps a water carrier? I think it was Zidane.

When you look at history there's been Dunga, Deschamps, Gattuso, Makelele, Lahm, Kante, even Paul Lambert (No idea if you're allowed to mention his nane here, but if you look closely emough, Zinedine Zidane is still in his pocket), Kimmich, Alaba, Busquets, Pirlo, etc.

None of those players were sexy. But every team needs one. It's like having a metronome.

Will Gilmour evolve over time? I think so. His passing range is excellent. You may not have seen it, but it's there. People forget that he still a kid, so i think he's kinda in his shell at Norwich a wee bit.

One of his biggest attributes is being able to see the big picture quickly. As a midfield, when you look at stats sites, you'll notice that the best players get more touches of the ball. That's because they see the layout of the land quicker than others.

So yeah, his spacial awareness is probably the best I've seen playing for Scotland since Lambert, Collins and McAllister.

In terms of his intelligence, spacial awareness, talent, skill, passing, etc, he's on a different planet to Scott McTominay (who i like).

Yeah. Ignore the guy who says that he's the link between defence and attack. He isn’t. Never heard anyone describe Gilmour like that. Bizarre thing to say. lol. He must be mistaking Gilmour for John McGinn.

So yeah, his spacial awareness is probably the best I've seen playing for Scotland since Lambert, Collins and McAllister. Agree . He had an excellent game . 

spatial awareness for this ,top notch Billy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Yeah. Ignore the guy who says that he's the link between defence and attack. He isn’t. Never heard anyone describe Gilmour like that. Bizarre thing to say. lol. He must be mistaking Gilmour for John McGinn.

I'm having trouble not ignoring anyone who reckons Dykes is better than Pukki. It's one of those opinions so utterly bizarre you find it hard to accept anything else that comes out of that person!