Sign in to follow this  
canarybubbles

'Nine games ...

... for City to show some pride and spirit', according to a headline in the PinkUn.

Wouldn't these nine games be better used to drop the loanees, to experiment with players who haven't been used much, to give a bit of experience to some under-23s, to try out new combinations of individuals, and for Smith to prove that he has some kind of vision in his mind about what style, shape and formation we will aim to play next season?

• Like 7

I'm sure Smith will put out what he thinks is the best team in each match, at least until relegation is mathematically nailed on. Personally I would like to see the loanees dropped, they aren't going to be here next season so it's probably better to give others experience, and I would give Tzolis a run of games, he's only going to improve if he gets meaningful game time and we did use a sizeable amount of our transfer funds on him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame we did not bother to show any 'pride' or 'spirit' against Brentford or Leeds.

Think we should change our nickname from The Canaries to The Dogs, as all we do is lay down and roll over for our opponents every week

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame we did not bother to show any 'pride' or 'spirit' against Brentford or Leeds.

Agreed. A simple comparison, was watching the Arsenal v Liverpool game recently and it was noticeable how quick that Arsenal defenders and midfielders get back, re-position and re-group when attacking possession was lost. It is comparably noticeable that our midfield especially look like they couldn't give a toss when play breaks down and amble back. You know if they actually put the effort in fans would be a bit more forgiving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

... for City to show some pride and spirit', according to a headline in the PinkUn.

Wouldn't these nine games be better used to drop the loanees, to experiment with players who haven't been used much, to give a bit of experience to some under-23s, to try out new combinations of individuals, and for Smith to prove that he has some kind of vision in his mind about what style, shape and formation we will aim to play next season?

Although we are as good as down I don't see that happening tol we are confirmed as down which will probably be more like 5 games remaining. Wouldn't send out the greatest message. I totally agree with what you're saying though. Once relegation is confirmed there's no point in seeing anything from the 4 loan players or anyone who has made it clear that dont want to be here next season (if anyone has, which I doubt).

But on the flip side this season has been painful enough without having to see dowell & placheta starting week in week out for our remaining fixtures.

This summer needs a big rebuild and building a side around some of the younger guys, Omobamidele, Rowe, Idah etc is a must. Wouldn't be suprised to 10-12 players moved on this summer.

I am dreading the next 9 games, it may be like project restart part two. We have lost 7     on the bounce and can easily see us losing the next 9, we really are that poor. Major clear out required in the Summer.

Clamours for a major clear out.  Please explain how you would deal with a clear out of players most of which have contracts, Rupp the exception.  Would you pay up those contracts or sell them when they have been ineffective all season, giving them away but clubs have to want these losers.  There will be no major clear out the same faces will be here next season.  And we will have to hope they become players in the lower league.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Clamours for a major clear out.  Please explain how you would deal with a clear out of players most of which have contracts, Rupp the exception.  Would you pay up those contracts or sell them when they have been ineffective all season, giving them away but clubs have to want these losers.  There will be no major clear out the same faces will be here next season.  And we will have to hope they become players in the lower league.

Noted, it’s not going to be easy, I did say it’s what’s required, not what we will get. The loans will be gone for a start and I feel a few won’t fancy the Championship again and move on. If the first team sheet in August has a Hanley/Gibson centre back pairing and you know who still in midfield I really will despair. 

4 hours ago, pete said:

This is the problem, you can't just get rid of the numerous duds we have signed, the club have to fulfil their contracts. A lot has been said of the fact we don't pay PL wages but how can we when we are wasting vast salaries on players we don't even want. Wasting 8 million on a player is only half the problem once you factor in wasted salary outgoings as well. The club have invested in fantastic facilities to help attract players but their player recruitment mistakes are killing the club.

Edited by Mullet

8 hours ago, pete said:

The way it works is the club tells the player/his agent to find them a new club over the summer. If they can't be sold, they will probably be loaned out. There's plenty of players in that squad who would have suitors whether that be loan or permanent. The likes of Hernandez, Hugill, Dowell, Placheta etc.

I think what people are referring to are the 4 loan players back and there being interest in the likes of Aarons, Cantwell & Giannoulis. That's just 7 players gone there.

Pukki is out of contract and we have the 1 year option on him but if he doesn't wanna be there and doesn't fancy another tough slog in the champ then he won't be.

The main core of the squad will still be there but I'd be suprised if there's less than 10 players moved on from the squad we have now.

3 hours ago, Mullet said:

This is the problem, you can't just get rid of the numerous duds we have signed, the club have to fulfil their contracts. A lot has been said of the fact we don't pay PL wages but how can we when we are wasting vast salaries on players we don't even want. Wasting 8 million on a player is only half the problem once you factor in wasted salary outgoings as well. The club have invested in fantastic facilities to help attract players but their player recruitment mistakes are killing the club.

Some of players referred to as duds will probably play a big part in the championship season, Tzolis and Sargent etc.

7 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

If the first team sheet in August has a Hanley/Gibson centre back pairing and you know who still in midfield I really will despair

If the first team sheet back in the championship has a Hanley/Gibson centre back pairing and you know who still in midfield, we will probably win the league again

I quite like playing some of the younger players if we are confirmed as down but equally we don’t want to kill their confidence.

maybe I am in a minority but I think we have a core of players next year who will be competitive in the championship and you need to bring better players in on top of a solid base rather than completely start again. If we start the season with giannoulis, Hanley, Gibson, Byram, Rupp and McClean as a base then it won’t be a disaster. 

11 hours ago, East Rider said:

If the first team sheet back in the championship has a Hanley/Gibson centre back pairing and you know who still in midfield, we will probably win the league again

Only if we resign Skipp and Emi 😉

We’ve looked pretty uninspired and I really can’t see any improvement under Smith, we’ve actually gone backwards. Lose the next 9 and he should be shown the door.

Trouble is we have a club who’s board is structured not to cause any waves, we have a DOF who has no pressure on him and looks like the club are actively more interested in his climb of a mountain than concentrating on the utter mess that this season is! Christ even his partner now sits on the board so no pressure on Webber! Smith has no pressure from above, the fans can’t agree on him, some fans keep saying it’s not his team, so be it, but I would like to see a marked improvement even though it’s not his team, that’s not happened……the entire club is actually just what we’re labelled with, a nice little club punching above our weight!

As long as the paying fans are happy to put bums on seats nothing will change, Christ just look back to that utter useless Doncaster to see how our current owners don’t apply much pressure!

Next season we won’t have huge changes as there’s no money in the coffers for that, if we do sell Cantwell for £11 million that money will be needed to pay wages next year! Will anyone want to match Aaron’s value? I haven’t seen any club actively come after him, do we overrate him?

Like I’ve said I’ve had the pleasure of watching some Oxford games over the past four seasons and the sense of optimism and excitement there is catching, they have a board who are actively looking to move the club forwards, they have an active fans interaction group and a good manager. Sometimes you need to bring someone in to challenge where you are, not just promote or you never move forwards.

It’ll be interesting as we’ve failed big time this season, Webber has had full control of things and yet is more focused on things outside football than the club, that’s just wrong to me, if you’re going to do that then give up the job to someone who wants to focus on the club…….he deserves to be sacked for his part in this season, it’s certainly not a successful one he was promoting in the summer……we still don’t have the tools that you supplied for this level!

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

We’ve looked pretty uninspired and I really can’t see any improvement under Smith, we’ve actually gone backwards. Lose the next 9 and he should be shown the door.

Trouble is we have a club who’s board is structured not to cause any waves, we have a DOF who has no pressure on him and looks like the club are actively more interested in his climb of a mountain than concentrating on the utter mess that this season is! Christ even his partner now sits on the board so no pressure on Webber! Smith has no pressure from above, the fans can’t agree on him, some fans keep saying it’s not his team, so be it, but I would like to see a marked improvement even though it’s not his team, that’s not happened……the entire club is actually just what we’re labelled with, a nice little club punching above our weight!

As long as the paying fans are happy to put bums on seats nothing will change, Christ just look back to that utter useless Doncaster to see how our current owners don’t apply much pressure!

Next season we won’t have huge changes as there’s no money in the coffers for that, if we do sell Cantwell for £11 million that money will be needed to pay wages next year! Will anyone want to match Aaron’s value? I haven’t seen any club actively come after him, do we overrate him?

Like I’ve said I’ve had the pleasure of watching some Oxford games over the past four seasons and the sense of optimism and excitement there is catching, they have a board who are actively looking to move the club forwards, they have an active fans interaction group and a good manager. Sometimes you need to bring someone in to challenge where you are, not just promote or you never move forwards.

It’ll be interesting as we’ve failed big time this season, Webber has had full control of things and yet is more focused on things outside football than the club, that’s just wrong to me, if you’re going to do that then give up the job to someone who wants to focus on the club…….he deserves to be sacked for his part in this season, it’s certainly not a successful one he was promoting in the summer……we still don’t have the tools that you supplied for this level!

Hoggy, Chicken, Badger and Purple need to have a word with you now for that negativity. Nutty might answer your concerns with many questions of his own.