cambridgeshire canary

Mike Dean is leaving the building!

44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Where we're heading the referees are even worse.

But at least they're just incompetent and you don't have to overcome the biases of both the onfield and var cretin...

• Like 1

We do have some appalling Refs, but they are hamstrung by the stupid changes to the rules and how they are asked to implement them.

Just watching some recent games I note that...

You can take a free kick or throw in from wherever you feel like taking it

As a goalie, you can keep hold of the ball for as long as you like

You can waste as much time as you like knowing full well nothing will be done about it

Be involved in as much gamesmanship (being clever as the pundits seem to call it, most people say blatant cheating) again knowing that you'll get no punishment

The amount of tactical injuries is going to kill the game

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 1

Still hung around long enough to f**k us over. Given his attention seeking nature he’s not doubt planning a move into some sort of media/punditry role. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:
Kevin Friend next to leave? we can only dream..

I thought Friend was a Norwich fan?

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Still hung around long enough to f**k us over. Given his attention seeking nature he’s not doubt planning a move into some sort of media/punditry role. 

Almost guaranteed

Personally not so quick to celebrate given the standards of what’s behind him are so poor.

10 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

We do have some appalling Refs, but they are hamstrung by the stupid changes to the rules and how they are asked to implement them.

Just watching some recent games I note that...

You can take a free kick or throw in from wherever you feel like taking it

As a goalie, you can keep hold of the ball for as long as you like

You can waste as much time as you like knowing full well nothing will be done about it

Be involved in as much gamesmanship (being clever as the pundits seem to call it, most people say blatant cheating) again knowing that you'll get no punishment

The amount of tactical injuries is going to kill the game

The time wasting is so irritating. Can do easily be clamped down as it isn’t liked really by anyone with a few exceptions, just get the yellow out straight away - call over the captains and say ‘that’ll do’. Late subs wind me up the most with the slow pretend jog off the pitch to an ovation. 
1) get your ovation at the end of the game once it’s actually finished 

2) Why stop the game to make a sub? Ref can just say ‘ok’ to bench, then signal play on. You watch how f***ing quickly the sub sprints off the pitch when their team has a disadvantage. It would also stop pointless end of the game subs so only ones designed to change the game earlier happen. Ref can stop play for injury subs as normal. 

• Like 1

Like all the other referees Mike Dean is nowhere near perfect, however going back to our pay-off final match against Middlesbrough I felt he had a very good game that day.

Refereeing at any level is not a role I would never want. I consider it akin to self-flagellation. No sin I have ever committed would deserve such penitence.

It is harder at the professional level because more is at stake and the spotlight glows brighter the higher the level.

With every decision thoroughly examined by pundits, journalists and fans, the pressure must be intense at times. Being subject to criticism, ridicule and abuse as a matter of course, thick skin must be the first demand of the job. 

That it has got more difficult as time has gone by is undeniable. 

The cunning and downright cheating of today's players is relentless. Every angle of advantage is sought to the extent that almost even every throw-in is claimed by both sides, and ten pairs of eyes are needed for every corner. Diving has become an art, whilst shirt pulling is rife to the extent that it seems both antics are regularly practised in training, with the likes of Tom Daly and Roy Williams of horse collaring fame brought in for occasional advice.

New regulations have not helped because they have made decision-making  more complicated. The confusing and seemingly ever-changing off-side rules along with the perplexity surrounding a defender handling in the area are the most notable examples.

Yet they chose to do it. They must be a special breed, and they must be well rewarded. Or do they just revel in the spotlight and the notoriety?

Ominously some articles state he may become a full time VAR official. Which is not reassuring given his performance as VAR official for our Elland Road game. 

42 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Ominously some articles state he may become a full time VAR official. Which is not reassuring given his performance as VAR official for our Elland Road game. 

A full time VAR official makes sense though as I’m sure the chopping and changing doesn’t help with consistency. 

I love his enthusiasm and his support for his home town team. It's a shame he's such a bad referee.

On 21/03/2022 at 09:22, cambridgeshire canary said:

Kevin Friend next to leave? we can only dream..

I’ve got three words for you…

STRICTLY

COME

DANCINGGGGGGGG

absolutely nailed on, this guy is an absolute whopper. Hope all the bribes you took were worth a cameo appearance on Ted Lasso you pr1ck

• Haha 1

Referees are bad in this country for sure. But to be totally fair to them, they have no power to effectively police games. Any hint that one ref actually adhered to the rules and they’d never work again. There’d be multiple reds every game and they would probably give lesser clubs about 50% if the decisions. The big leagues can’t have that! 

11 hours ago, WD40 said:

A full time VAR official makes sense though as I’m sure the chopping and changing doesn’t help with consistency. 

I've thought that too; just make retired refs whose legs can't keep up with elite footballers for 90 minutes anymore permanent VARs rather than stretch refereeing resources by dragging refs from the relatively small 'select group' down to Stockley Park all the time.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've thought that too; just make retired refs whose legs can't keep up with elite footballers for 90 minutes anymore permanent VARs rather than stretch refereeing resources by dragging refs from the relatively small 'select group' down to Stockley Park all the time.

We have to try something to improve the current state of affairs 

6 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

“After reviewing the footage I don’t think Will Smith did anything wrong, in fact I believe Chris Rock slapped Will Smith.”May be an image of 1 person

Actually Will Smith was going for a "High Five" and Chris Rock deliberately put his face in the way. 

• Haha 1