Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

20 bids for Chelsea

According to the BBC there are 20 interested parties including one backed by Sebastian Coe. It made me wonder how much Norwich City would sell for and how much interest there would be. 

Based on other club sales I would guess the value to be around £150m so Smith and Jones are probably sitting on up to £75m worth of shares (before tax) . Bearing in mind the possibility that Government action and/or another relegation to League 1 could knock a big hole in that figure, they're taking a huge punt on maintaining control. 

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

According to the BBC there are 20 interested parties including one backed by Sebastian Coe. It made me wonder how much Norwich City would sell for and how much interest there would be. 

Based on other club sales I would guess the value to be around £150m so Smith and Jones are probably sitting on up to £75m worth of shares (before tax) . Bearing in mind the possibility that Government action and/or another relegation to League 1 could knock a big hole in that figure, they're taking a huge punt on maintaining control. 

Value isn't value until its realised Doggo. Doubt D&M count their chickens too often.

• Like 1

Saudi Media have apparently bid £2.7bn for Chelsea. There's another 3 or 4 bidders as well. 

In terms of NCFC I thought it depends on how much Smith & Jones want?

Fire sales often get plenty of bids. All this shows is how laughably screwed up the world of football finance is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fire sales often get plenty of bids. All this shows is how laughably screwed up the world of football finance is.

We're not talking Ken Bates £1 here for Chelsea. It's not a fire sale, serious money is being talked about.

I'm amazed there's so much interest even ballpark to what Abramovich was looking for (£2.9bn?).

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We're not talking Ken Bates £1 here for Chelsea. It's not a fire sale, serious money is being talked about.

I'm amazed there's so much interest even ballpark to what Abramovich was looking for (£2.9bn?).

The value of land in Chelsea/Kensington/Fulham is the highest in the country and Stamford Bridge is a very large piece of land. Other than that, the value of the players must be huge. But I agree with you, £2.9bn seems an awful lot of money. 

36 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Saudi Media have apparently bid £2.7bn for Chelsea. There's another 3 or 4 bidders as well. 

In terms of NCFC I thought it depends on how much Smith & Jones want?

Land and buildings values are easy to calculate as is the value of players contracts. What is difficult to work out is how much someone is daft enough to pay. Smith and Jones can put any value on it they want but it still needs someone to pay. That's why you look at how much clubs like Newcastle, Burnley and Ipswich went for as a guide. 

The thing that interests me is that there are 20 interested parties in a club selling for £3bn when that club has consistently lost around £150m a year. And apparently at least 2 of the consortiums interested are entirely British. 

It may be that the value is driven by the possibility of a European Super League, and the fact that yet more Americans are interested suggests that they see the structure of English football changing. 

56 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He still has to shift it quickly so that Chelsea isn't hamstrung by proxy via sanctions.

Is Master Tom brokering a deal on behalf of the English consortium for Chelsea with Galway Roast

Oh come on now Delia has said she would never sell the club beacause she 'doesnt want to see camels in Norfolk'

That and she has already said there have never been any offers for us, so you know..

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The value of land in Chelsea/Kensington/Fulham is the highest in the country and Stamford Bridge is a very large piece of land. Other than that, the value of the players must be huge. But I agree with you, £2.9bn seems an awful lot of money. 

The pitch I believe is owned by the supporters and is not part of the deal.

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh come on now Delia has said she would never sell the club beacause she 'doesnt want to see camels in Norfolk'

That and she has already said there have never been any offers for us, so you know..

No genuine offers, is what she has said.

And if there had been, and Delia had ignored them, all they'd have to do is let the EDP know, or for the love of god, simply f*cking Tweet it, and we'd all know about it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And if there had been, and Delia had ignored them, all they'd have to do is let the EDP know, or for the love of god, simply f*cking Tweet it, and we'd all know about it...

Agree to a point, but any buyer not able to do any due diligence may not go so far as to make an offer, or the level of engagement from current owners left the buyer wanting to move on, or buyers plans involved Smith&Jones staying on and going public wouldn’t have achieved that. I’m not convinced any of the above has happened but there are circumstances in which a potential buyer wouldn’t see benefit in a public spat.

Surely the fact that so many potential buyers have appeared in a couple of weeks when our owners , dispute being ‘willing’ for a decade or so haven’t had a sniff makes those who consistently claim nobody other than dictators and arm dealers would want to buy the club sit slightly more uneasy in their mindset?

9 minutes ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Agree to a point, but any buyer not able to do any due diligence may not go so far as to make an offer, or the level of engagement from current owners left the buyer wanting to move on, or buyers plans involved Smith&Jones staying on and going public wouldn’t have achieved that. I’m not convinced any of the above has happened but there are circumstances in which a potential buyer wouldn’t see benefit in a public spat.

Surely the fact that so many potential buyers have appeared in a couple of weeks when our owners , dispute being ‘willing’ for a decade or so haven’t had a sniff makes those who consistently claim nobody other than dictators and arm dealers would want to buy the club sit slightly more uneasy in their mindset?

I don't really think so, no. These potential buyers have appeared because the media is publicising it, as are Chelsea. And it's a firesale, so there's always going to be interested parties at this point.

Abramovic has apparently received countless offers during the time he owned the club, because it's Chelsea. The locality, the global powerhouse, Champions League etc, it's only 1 of 4 clubs in the UK you can buy with that amount of credential. It's in the top 10 in the world.

Again, if there was any serious interest in our club we'd have heard about it. If a billionaire wants something, they don't meekly hide away and move on just because Delia Smith said "No, sorry". 

It's been done to death on different threads but we aren't an investment opportunity so we either need a billionaire Norwich fan (who i'd welcome with open arms) or we need someone who wants the club as more of a brand enhancement tool. Unfortunately, we're quite unfashionable in that respect and there'd be plenty of better options, likely at better prices due to mis-managed finances at other clubs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't really think so, no. These potential buyers have appeared because the media is publicising it, as are Chelsea. And it's a firesale, so there's always going to be interested parties at this point.

Abramovic has apparently received countless offers during the time he owned the club, because it's Chelsea. The locality, the global powerhouse, Champions League etc, it's only 1 of 4 clubs in the UK you can buy with that amount of credential. It's in the top 10 in the world.

Again, if there was any serious interest in our club we'd have heard about it. If a billionaire wants something, they don't meekly hide away and move on just because Delia Smith said "No, sorry". 

It's been done to death on different threads but we aren't an investment opportunity so we either need a billionaire Norwich fan (who i'd welcome with open arms) or we need someone who wants the club as more of a brand enhancement tool. Unfortunately, we're quite unfashionable in that respect and there'd be plenty of better options, likely at better prices due to mis-managed finances at other clubs.

A fire sale that’s looking increasingly like an auction in which the owners asking price isn’t looking unrealistic. Amazing what a public statement of needing to sell can achieve.

Being not as fashionable as Chelsea, of course I agree and I would certainly concede that the pool of buyers fighting over Chelsea would most likely not have an interest in our club.. however the reasons given are all reasons why our club wouldn’t sell for nearly £3billion. At the relevant asking price we are just as attractive as a host of other clubs, PL and championship, who have been purchased for numerous reasons. Sadly I do see us running into financial difficulty (couple of seasons without parachute money) before our own ‘fire sale’ and it’s a real shame that we will no doubt have to wait for this to happen as the way back is a longer and harder road.

Of course Chelsea is a different kettle of fish to us (nowadays anyway) given its location and profile BUT the basic point is a good one. Club is actively put up for sale at a very significant price and there are people queuing up to buy them. 

The notion that nobody would be interested in buying Norwich as a premier league team or even upper end champ team with good prospects of promotion (especially as we would be available for less than 3% of the price they want for Chelsea) has always been nonsense too easily accepted and spread by the cult in my view. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

It wouldn't get as far as an offer if you are told not for sale.

Once Nopohew Tom takes over the club is more likely to be sold.  He has not got the ever dwindling cachet of Queen Delia and unless successful will come under pressure and will be acceptable to a sale. 

2 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

A fire sale that’s looking increasingly like an auction in which the owners asking price isn’t looking unrealistic. Amazing what a public statement of needing to sell can achieve.

Being not as fashionable as Chelsea, of course I agree and I would certainly concede that the pool of buyers fighting over Chelsea would most likely not have an interest in our club.. however the reasons given are all reasons why our club wouldn’t sell for nearly £3billion. At the relevant asking price we are just as attractive as a host of other clubs, PL and championship, who have been purchased for numerous reasons. Sadly I do see us running into financial difficulty (couple of seasons without parachute money) before our own ‘fire sale’ and it’s a real shame that we will no doubt have to wait for this to happen as the way back is a longer and harder road.

Am assuming this fire sale is being negotiated by the Government since it seems Chelsea is their property for the time being.   The Gov't are already investigating money in football so don't expect anything to be done in a hurry and likely that any new owners will have some association with the club rather than outside investors... suspect the Government have no reason to sell to the highest bidder, just the preferred one.     That said, this Government of ours is as corrupt and incompetent as any, it wouldn't take much of a backhander would it!  They've been taking Russia's money for ages! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If they wanted the club that badly, then it would. Only need to see transfers where players apparently not for sale get sold later on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Once Nopohew Tom takes over the club is more likely to be sold.  He has not got the ever dwindling cachet of Queen Delia and unless successful will come under pressure and will be acceptable to a sale. 

What!   

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Land and buildings values are easy to calculate as is the value of players contracts. What is difficult to work out is how much someone is daft enough to pay. Smith and Jones can put any value on it they want but it still needs someone to pay. That's why you look at how much clubs like Newcastle, Burnley and Ipswich went for as a guide. 

The thing that interests me is that there are 20 interested parties in a club selling for £3bn when that club has consistently lost around £150m a year. And apparently at least 2 of the consortiums interested are entirely British. 

It may be that the value is driven by the possibility of a European Super League, and the fact that yet more Americans are interested suggests that they see the structure of English football changing. 

I think that just reflects how the club has been run though. Certainly Liverpool and Arsenal have been far more frugal when it's come to purchases, and they've both been able to take say 7-10% of the revenue out each year.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. And I think this is her way of seeing who is genuinely concerned about the club with a potential investment, as opposed to those who are just chancers.

3 hours ago, Son Ova Gunn said:

Agree to a point, but any buyer not able to do any due diligence may not go so far as to make an offer

The fact that there are reported offers for Chelsea suggests otherwise. None of them will have had detailed access as yet.

18 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Am assuming this fire sale is being negotiated by the Government since it seems Chelsea is their property for the time being.   The Gov't are already investigating money in football so don't expect anything to be done in a hurry and likely that any new owners will have some association with the club rather than outside investors... suspect the Government have no reason to sell to the highest bidder, just the preferred one.     That said, this Government of ours is as corrupt and incompetent as any, it wouldn't take much of a backhander would it!  They've been taking Russia's money for ages! 

No. Although there are Government sanctions, the Government is not running the club. The sale will be checked to make sure that Abramovich doesn't benefit. 

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't know why you think this. It is quite common in business. It is done to agitate other share holders to encourage a reconsideration of the original stance. 

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

The fact that there are reported offers for Chelsea suggests otherwise. None of them will have had detailed access as yet.

I think this shows that it’s possible to make an offer subject to due diligence (such as a auction type environment) but not that it’s impossible that somebody would like to look at the business before deciding what their interest is. Both scenarios can exist no?.. just think the notion of the fans would hear from the press about any enquiry needs challenging as while it’s very likely a committed buyer would go public if any block was encountered, it’s nowhere near a certain as made out.