10 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I don't understand this clamour for him to say something. What do you want him to say? We're cr@p? The players aren't good enough? 

I don't know about you, but I don't need anyone to reaffirm that, I watch it with my own eyes.

In fact, anything he DID say would only fan the flames and make people more angry. Utterly pointless. 

I want him to take responsibility. I want him to be accountable and come out and explain how he has managed to assemble this shambles of a squad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heard a fabulous rumour this morning.

Apparently Webber has already left. He’s on gardening leave. Reasons unknown. 

I know….. I heard this a couple of hours ago and have only just stopped laughing.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I want him to take responsibility. I want him to be accountable and come out and explain how he has managed to assemble this shambles of a squad. 

For what purpose? Will it make you feel any better? Will it change anything? Will it make you shout even louder that he should pay for his mistakes? 

What if he came out and said that there are still enough points to play for to stay up...? I mean, it ain't happening, but it isn't a lie. 😉

I expect he'll be held to account at the season's conclusion and probably pay with his job. I'm not convinced that is necessarily for the best. 

5 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

For what purpose? Will it make you feel any better? Will it change anything? Will it make you shout even louder that he should pay for his mistakes? 

What if he came out and said that there are still enough points to play for to stay up...? I mean, it ain't happening, but it isn't a lie. 😉

I expect he'll be held to account at the season's conclusion and probably pay with his job. I'm not convinced that is necessarily for the best. 

You may be right. I'm just very frustrated at the complete silence from the club these days as we slide to our inevitable end this season. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

You may be right. I'm just very frustrated at the complete silence from the club these days as we slide to our inevitable end this season. 

I'm also worried that certain people are perhaps not as fully committed as they once were. We pay them a lot of money and whilst they are completely entitled to leave as anyone else is (or to spend their spare time as they think fit) I want them fully focussed on the job at hand and not climbing mountains every week (or during key transfer windows).

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm also worried that certain people are perhaps not as fully committed as they once were. We pay them a lot of money and whilst they are completely entitled to leave as anyone else is (or to spend their spare time as they think fit) I want them fully focussed on the job at hand and not climbing mountains every week (or during key transfer windows).

Maybe the climbing is an elaborate cover for a scouting mission. 

I thought the article in the Pink Un the other day  was good on this:

"You have a bunch of dice in your hand, for every four or over you roll, you get a hit.  You know you won’t hit on every dice, but you have a whole handful, surely you can’t completely miss. You roll… and all you have is a bunch of ones, twos and threes."

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-game-of-chance-that-has-been-lost-8755612

Recruiting players is always something of gamble, no matter what you spend -  there are so many examples of this. It is more difficult for a promoted club to the EPL, when you will chose a newly promoted club only if nobody else in the EPL wants them. We were fishing in a pretty shallow pool.

We had an additional constraint in that we played a particular style of football which required quite a high level of technical proficiency. The much-discussed CDM  issue is a good example of this. Last time we signed Amadou, who seemed in many ways a good fit for the role -strong powerful etc. However, Farke wouldn't play him because he was no technically proficient enough to pay in Farke's system.

So we come back to the issue that has emerged in other threads: realistically, if we want to stay up do we need a far more pragmatic style of football. Four 6 foot 3 inch defenders who barely cross the half-way line but defend deep and hoof up when we win possession. A big very defensive CDM + some other strong and tenacious grafters + some strong quick forwards up front + target man. It would be a lot easier to recruit for and I fear, the most likely way of staying up as we have seen with Burnley, Palace (until this year) etc.

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Maybe the climbing is an elaborate cover for a scouting mission. 

Then Webbo can stitch this Scout Activity Climber Badge on his jumper....He'll have surely earned it.....'Dib dib dob'....

Scout Activity Climber

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I thought the article in the Pink Un the other day  was good on this:

"You have a bunch of dice in your hand, for every four or over you roll, you get a hit.  You know you won’t hit on every dice, but you have a whole handful, surely you can’t completely miss. You roll… and all you have is a bunch of ones, twos and threes."

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-game-of-chance-that-has-been-lost-8755612

Recruiting players is always something of gamble, no matter what you spend -  there are so many examples of this. It is more difficult for a promoted club to the EPL, when you will chose a newly promoted club only if nobody else in the EPL wants them. We were fishing in a pretty shallow pool.

We had an additional constraint in that we played a particular style of football which required quite a high level of technical proficiency. The much-discussed CDM  issue is a good example of this. Last time we signed Amadou, who seemed in many ways a good fit for the role -strong powerful etc. However, Farke wouldn't play him because he was no technically proficient enough to pay in Farke's system.

So we come back to the issue that has emerged in other threads: realistically, if we want to stay up do we need a far more pragmatic style of football. Four 6 foot 3 inch defenders who barely cross the half-way line but defend deep and hoof up when we win possession. A big very defensive CDM + some other strong and tenacious grafters + some strong quick forwards up front + target man. It would be a lot easier to recruit for and I fear, the most likely way of staying up as we have seen with Burnley, Palace (until this year) etc.

I believe tha author of that article is @Bethnal Yellow and Green.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Badger said:

And if that's genuinely how we'd have to play to stay in the league, then I'd rather go down and have hopefully another superb champs season to bounce back up again.

I have zero interest in watching the style of football played by the likes of Burnley (or Stoke in their better years), that would be like going back to watching us 2nd season under Hughton which was worse to watch than this one (or the last PL season during Covid) has been.

The game has changed phenomenally since our heady days of the late 80's to early 90's, but we always managed to play good football despite not having big name players on our books, whereas now it appears almost impossible to do that in a game destroyed by money and greed, but the solution isn't to play like Burnley either, because it's simply not worth the trade-off in being able to enjoy the game just to scrape 17th each season...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

And if that's genuinely how we'd have to play to stay in the league, then I'd rather go down and have hopefully another superb cha

I tend to agree, although some sort of halfway house maybe possible? 🤞

Of the teams that have gone up and stayed up for several seasons, the majority have been very "pragmatic." Burnley, Stoke and Palace are obvious examples. Even Leicester were pretty pragmatic under Pearson. Brighton had Hughton for two or three seasons. Wolves are the obvious exceptions in recent years, but they have had serious money behind them. As I recall it, they also had an unusual relationship with a leading agent, which I suspect enabled them to obtain players that would normally come to a newly-promoted club.