Samwam27

Would you buy Kabak or Normann?

25 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Agreed, Omobamidele is a true gem and the sooner he is fit the better. 

I would love Sorenson to have a run of games, so that those people saying he has never had a chance can see why he has never had a chance or for those who think he is not good enough to be proved wrong. I would certainly play him before any player on loan who will give us nothing next season when they are not here.

Both Omobamidele and Sorenson are great players. I'd play Sorenson at left back again he is way better than the Greek international flop

I'm glad we only loaned Normann. He has shown some class in patches. But the things we wanted from him - defensive midfield, long throws, defence splitting long passed - he doesn't actually seem that good at. And he does seem a bit fragile - I'm always a bit wary of those who seek a body beautiful by pumping iron. It does seem to trade off against stamina. Not that I know anything much about such things! As for Kabak, he looks like he has loads of potential. I would snap him up at anything like that kind of price if he was prepared to play in the champs.

Kabak is still only 21. He has potential. Would love to see him partnered with Omobamidele in a big defensive shake up next season which most of us agree the whole squad needs! 

Managed well, Kabak could become solid.

Normann is a luxury player. In my opinion, we didn't play him correctly. He's too slow and not a great tackler but he can pick a pass. I believe he needs more of a free role to make an impact so it's imperative to find the right player to play alongside him.

On balance of potential, keep Kabak but it's a no for Normann. 

Surprised at the amount of positivity around Kabak. Always seems 2-3 seconds too slow on the ball and a mistake waiting to happen. Maybe he'd get those extra few seconds thinking time in the Champs but i wouldnt sanction that buy. Normann pre injury would probably tear up the Champs but as mentioned would need an anchor to allow him to roam. May even work out as a number ten.

Edited by Canario

Absolutely not.

Kabak came in with a reputation as a player who had been unlucky not to secure a move to Liverpool. He has played like a man who looks like he'd struggle in the championship. 

Normann has been better, but injury prone and inconsistent. 

Yes to both. Neither have had seasons that will have increased their value but both are very capable players with headroom for massive improvement.

Both do lose the ball too much, but usually as a result of having some drive to actually try and make things happen. This can be coached, actually having the drive in the first place is more difficult. 

10 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Although the goalposts have moved since then regarding the gap between bottom Prem & top Champo, I always liked his desire to sign other teams' leaders & captains. 

Harking back to the Lambert era - feels like something really died today.

Which leaders and captains did he sign? I'm struggling to think of one.

I don't know why, but I think Kabak will go on to be a decent centre-half. It's hard to judge when he's just played bits of football here and there, but given a decent run of games and the chance to development partnerships with other defenders I think he'll wind up a Premier League quality centre-half.

And let's be honest, our PL defence has been woeful twice now, and Hanley was a part of the first one and a massive part of the second. He's patently not cut out for this level and the club needs to decide how they are going to play it next season. Do they focus entirely on the Championship, in which case Gibson, Hanley, Omo and Zimbo are probably sufficient, but then accept that they need to bin them all off (apart from Omo if he continues to develop as we hope) after they deliver us promotion, as to go into another EPL season with Hanley and Gibson as number 2 is essentially suicide? Or do we get rid and try and find a partner for Omo who could potentially be or become an EPL centre-half and give them a season in the Championship so they're integrated and ready for a stab at the Prem? Kabak has the potential to be that person.

It's harsh on someone who has been such a good servant to the club, but it could be time to wave goodbye to Hanley.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't know why, but I think Kabak will go on to be a decent centre-half. It's hard to judge when he's just played bits of football here and there, but given a decent run of games and the chance to development partnerships with other defenders I think he'll wind up a Premier League quality centre-half.

And let's be honest, our PL defence has been woeful twice now, and Hanley was a part of the first one and a massive part of the second. He's patently not cut out for this level and the club needs to decide how they are going to play it next season. Do they focus entirely on the Championship, in which case Gibson, Hanley, Omo and Zimbo are probably sufficient, but then accept that they need to bin them all off (apart from Omo if he continues to develop as we hope) after they deliver us promotion, as to go into another EPL season with Hanley and Gibson as number 2 is essentially suicide? Or do we get rid and try and find a partner for Omo who could potentially be or become an EPL centre-half and give them a season in the Championship so they're integrated and ready for a stab at the Prem? Kabak has the potential to be that person.

It's harsh on someone who has been such a good servant to the club, but it could be time to wave goodbye to Hanley.

1) You may be right re Kabak. But i'd say he looks a little behind what Godfrey looked like for us in his first Premier League season. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making it in the Premier league.

2) I personally think it would be suicide to get rid of Hanley, as finding more good CB's is incredibly difficult, and in my opinion he's capable at a low Premier League level. He's been our best player statistically this season, but more importantly defensively he's one more headers, more tackles, more interceptions, made more clearances and more blocks than any other defender in our squad. To replace him would be very hard, even at Championship level.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

1) You may be right re Kabak. But i'd say he looks a little behind what Godfrey looked like for us in his first Premier League season. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making it in the Premier league.

2) I personally think it would be suicide to get rid of Hanley, as finding more good CB's is incredibly difficult, and in my opinion he's capable at a low Premier League level. He's been our best player statistically this season, but more importantly defensively he's one more headers, more tackles, more interceptions, made more clearances and more blocks than any other defender in our squad. To replace him would be very hard, even at Championship level.

The only stat that matters to me is that in the EPL defences he is in concede almost two goals a game (132 in 70). That's not just Norwich, I haven't looked but it's probably even worse in yellow and green.

If we make it back to this turd of a league, Hanley must not be a starting centre-back. Not if we're serious about trying to stay up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mullet said:

Both Omobamidele and Sorenson are great players. I'd play Sorenson at left back again he is way better than the Greek international flop

I'm afraid both of them are too injury prone to be reliable in the relentless Championship. Squad fillers at best.

Kabak has the turning circle of the Queen Mary and Normann runs about like a headless chicken. We might be able to get them for very little, given their abject season to date, but I doubt either are regular starters even in the Championship if we seriously want to win it again.

Personally I'd settle for Hanley, Gibson, Andrew O and Sorensen as our CB's with back up from the 23s. 

We need to spend every available penny we have on midfielders and forwards.

Kabak reminds me of Seb Bassong - big, strong, sometimes sublime, sometimes awful. But despite all this I quite like him and hadn't realised he was only 21, could pass for 35!

If there's any chance we could sign Kabak, I would be very tempted, as others have said, in time, he could become a very decent CB.

Normann I'm not really sure. Started well but since injury has flattered to deceive. Unlike Kabak I don't actually think he's going to get significantly better, so it's a no from me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Which leaders and captains did he sign? I'm struggling to think of one.

While I wouldn't be known for my memory, I seem to remember Lambert seeking out players with leadership qualities and/or players who had been selected as club captains. Without checking, I recall Russ Martin, Michael Nelson, Andy Surman, Andrew Crofts, Ryan Bennett, Jonny Howson, Bradley Johnson and Michael Turner (Hughton era?) although perhaps they were not all during Lambert's time here. Or perhaps I'm just wrong!

On 13/03/2022 at 18:32, Samwam27 said:

Should we go down Williams & Gilmour will depart. We had obligation to buy loans with Kabak & Normann.

If it's reliant on staying up, then nothing to talk about, but if not, and we could negotiate say £4-6m transfers (yes hypothetical) would you buy them for the EFL campaign?

I think they were 'options' to buy rather than obligations.

I would sign both, yes. I think on what we have seen and in comparison to other players, Kabak is probably worth around £8-10m, he's better, IMHO, than Gibson. He's just younger and needs more experience. 21 for a CB is very young, you don't always see the calmness of Godfrey or Omobamidele in players that age which says a lot for our coaches. Plus you'd be bringing in possibly half of a future CB pairing in Kabak and Omobamidele, both being of similar ages.

Normann... depends. I think there is a good player in there but it'll be two seasons he has played bit part roles in due to injury now. CM does need sorting out, is he part of the answer? Or are there better choices for cheaper out there. I don't think I'd pay more than £6m for him now, though we wouldn't be able to pay anyone due to it being a Russian club. There is some talk about him being available on a free due to the new FIFA rulings, so I guess we'll have to see.

Normann signing would indicate quite a change in the CM department too I feel. 

20 hours ago, paddycanary said:

While I wouldn't be known for my memory, I seem to remember Lambert seeking out players with leadership qualities and/or players who had been selected as club captains. Without checking, I recall Russ Martin, Michael Nelson, Andy Surman, Andrew Crofts, Ryan Bennett, Jonny Howson, Bradley Johnson and Michael Turner (Hughton era?) although perhaps they were not all during Lambert's time here. Or perhaps I'm just wrong!

Very true, I think Whitbread and Ward had been as well.

I think there is a decent premier league centre back lurking in Kabak albeit we've only seen it in fits and starts. In a settled defence with the right partner I think he could be good though.

Normann is a tough one. Undoubted moments of real class but then since he came back he's also been fairly ineffective in most games. 

In both cases I think would depend what the fee was. 

On 14/03/2022 at 13:59, sgncfc said:

Kabak has the turning circle of the Queen Mary and Normann runs about like a headless chicken. We might be able to get them for very little, given their abject season to date, but I doubt either are regular starters even in the Championship if we seriously want to win it again.

Personally I'd settle for Hanley, Gibson, Andrew O and Sorensen as our CB's with back up from the 23s. 

We need to spend every available penny we have on midfielders and forwards.

Sorensen needs to be our starting holding midfielder in the championship next year. Give him a proper run in that role and i'm convinced he will solve one of our long running problems.

Gibson very useful in the champ but patently not good enough in the prem. I agree the key is to find a partnership including Big Andy that can potentially step up if we manage to get up again. 

I don't want loans in these key positions next season. We need to develop partnership at CM and CB that can serve us if we get promoted. We can then use the cash/loans for other less crucial areas of the team if we get up. 

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 22:57, Green Canary said:

I'm always a bit wary of those who seek a body beautiful by pumping iron. It does seem to trade off against stamina.

I have to be honest, I have found this to be true. My stamina isn't very good.

• Like 2

This forum only wants *local players for a local team, nothing for you loanees here*. Amazing lilttle ol' Nodge vibes popping up yet again. Get a life lads, we're skint and we had a go at getting Premier League players on a Championship budget. Sometime it works, sometimes is doesnt. Remember we're paying the lowest wages in the league so you often get what you pay for.

(*except most of these "local players" have come from Bedfordshire or that there Bluddy Lundon").

On 14/03/2022 at 10:16, canarydan23 said:

The only stat that matters to me is that in the EPL defences he is in concede almost two goals a game (132 in 70). That's not just Norwich, I haven't looked but it's probably even worse in yellow and green.

If we make it back to this turd of a league, Hanley must not be a starting centre-back. Not if we're serious about trying to stay up.

Lol! Sorry but then we may as well just march all of the squad out. You want to get rid of our best CB because those around him are worse than he is?! 😅

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bringbackchippy said:

Both garbage!

As an expert in bins and their contents, you'd know.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I have to be honest, I have found this to be true. My stamina isn't very good.

Yeah, I'm the other way around. Not particularly muscular (I can look somewhat ripped but that's due to being lean), but I can keep running.

On 15/03/2022 at 14:50, Jim Smith said:

Sorensen needs to be our starting holding midfielder in the championship next year. Give him a proper run in that role and i'm convinced he will solve one of our long running problems.

Ah the Becchio effect. Why do we always seem to have a world-class player on the bench that none of our managers can see the value of?