Sign in to follow this  
KeiranShikari

On style of play - Looking for optimism

Smith's Championship teams haven't played the kick and rush we're being treated to at the moment. It's clearly what he thinks will give us the best chance now, all be it that it only seemed to be working with 2 up top before Idah's injury. I think you could probably put as much on the players at the moment who are clearly waving the white flag.

Whilst it won't be Farke 18-19 I highly doubt that we've actually thrown out being a footballing team. The Championship is significantly weaker than the Premier League.

The problem with what you are saying is that a look at the players we have suggests there is little technical ability anymore and those who have it (Aarons, Rashica) may well be gone next season. Factor in a few more Webber super-signings and kick and rush may be all that we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

The problem with what you are saying is that a look at the players we have suggests there is little technical ability anymore and those who have it (Aarons, Rashica) may well be gone next season. Factor in a few more Webber super-signings and kick and rush may be all that we have.

They don’t have the technical ability needed in the PL, the Championship is a complete gulf in class where many of our players will stand out technically.

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

First of all I highly doubt Rashica will leave and even if Aarons does our current replacement in Byram is technically very good. Giannoulis on the other side too.

I'd say all of our central midelders are more than technically proficient enough in the Championship. Rupp has looked decent there, PLM, I think, will be very good. Mclean is okay and Sorensen (I actually think he leaves) has looked the part.

We obviously lack a technical superstar like Buendia or Maddison but there aren't many of those in the league anyway. I'll say it quietly but Tzolis?

I think our current team probably favours pressing more than hoofing. That can obviously be an attractive style and we have the quality to do that in the Championship.

• Like 1

Monty and Keiran - you may both be right and perhaps I am being unreasonably negative about our squad in what has been a massively disappointing season.

However, I am really worried that what we are seeing from Smith is not a pragmatic response to the situation we are in, but a style of hoofball with a big guy like Idah up front that is all he is capable of.

I really hope he has gone by the start of next season, but I know he won't be. The project is over. We have an owner who intends to cling on for dear life, a DoF who believes his own publicity, and a mediocre manager who is capable of keeping a team like Preston or Bristol City in the Championship, but nothing more. He'll probably keep us in the Championship, too. Whoopy-doo.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

However, I am really worried that what we are seeing from Smith is not a pragmatic response to the situation we are in, but a style of hoofball with a big guy like Idah up front that is all he is capable of.

His Brentford teams were less talented than ours and they were far from hoofball. It was an up and at them style which I believe should suit a lot of our squad.

I think that there needs to be a significant injection of "new blood." I can't help feeling that there is a danger that players who have been promoted twice and relegated twice in fours years are likely to be mentally "shot."

We need a significant injection of fresh players to freshen up the mentality apart from anything else, so that we have some new players hungry for promotion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think that there needs to be a significant injection of "new blood." I can't help feeling that there is a danger that players who have been promoted twice and relegated twice in fours years are likely to be mentally "shot."

We need a significant injection of fresh players to freshen up the mentality apart from anything else, so that we have some new players hungry for promotion.

Thing is there aren't actually that many that fit that bill in our squad now. Krul, McLean, Pukki and Aarons are 4 regulars from both relegations. Other players have only been bit players in one or both seasons due to injury.

Not sure I see any world where Hanley, Byram and Pukki leave. I honestly think Krul and McLean are unlikely too although I probably would be considering it if there were buyers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Thing is there aren't actually that many that fit that bill in our squad now. Krul, McLean, Pukki and Aarons are 4 regulars from both relegations. Other players have only been bit players in one or both seasons due to injury.

Not sure I see any world where Hanley, Byram and Pukki leave. I honestly think Krul and McLean are unlikely too although I probably would be considering it if there were buyers.

Yes, you are right! When I think about it (after you have pointed it out) there aren't as many as I thought, which rather weakens my point. 😳

I still think that we need some fresh blood though + some midfield guile/ creativity.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes, you are right! When I think about it (after you have pointed it out) there aren't as many as I thought, which rather weakens my point. 😳

I still think that we need some fresh blood though + some midfield guile/ creativity.

I have a feeling Conor Hourahane might be in our midfield next season.

It seems we always seem to find reasons to keep the same old, same old, we don't like change at NCFC.

I'd be looking to ship out 50% of that squad. Even if we were to gain promotion again, they're nowhere near EPL quality. 

A lot of people felt, possibly myself included, we would be in a much better place with our players this season in terms of EPL capability. The reality is the players are much worse than we had in 2019/20, most have regressed and I can't think of any who have improved, possibly Hanley but that's it.

Not sure about that. There's been pretty significant churn in the squad each season (bar the prevous Premier League one) since Webber got here.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I have a feeling Conor Hourahane might be in our midfield next season.

He was linked earlier + a Villa striker - young player.

Actually I have no real fear of being back in the champs with this squad (minus the loans). There is no question a few need to move on but we have a decent enough spine and a few additions we should be able to compete quite well. 

3 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Smith's Championship teams haven't played the kick and rush we're being treated to at the moment. It's clearly what he thinks will give us the best chance now, all be it that it only seemed to be working with 2 up top before Idah's injury. I think you could probably put as much on the players at the moment who are clearly waving the white flag.

Whilst it won't be Farke 18-19 I highly doubt that we've actually thrown out being a footballing team. The Championship is significantly weaker than the Premier League.

Nail Head Hit , whilst you are correct on the chumps not being as strong and far weaker than the Prem , we are definitely in that weaker bracket along with these hardened championships sides , next season will be very hard with nothing guaranteed regarding results , but I’m sure will be far more enjoyable week in week out , unless …….. we drop like a stone !

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

It'll be interesting to see what Smith will do with an actual transfer budget.

It would be interesting to see what level of budget he gets if relegated. I suspect quiet a few will have to be off loaded as part of it

18 minutes ago, East Rider said:

It would be interesting to see what level of budget he gets if relegated. I suspect quiet a few will have to be off loaded as part of it

The problem will be the wage bill if we don't get back up before the parachute payments finish. I can see a **** load of loan signings next season while we rationalise the squad.

I've seen nothing from Smith to show that he'll be able to come up with a winning formula in the Championship. He seems to be more reactive than proactive: trying to set up to contain the opposition rather than actually impose ourselves on matches.

Obviously the level is generally much lower, so we'll have to give him a fair crack of the whip. I hope to be proved wrong, but I'm struggling to imagine this combination of players and management ever coming up with the goods. 

32 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I can't see our wage bill being too stupendous after the 40%(?) drops and 4 players returning to their parent clubs. A supposedly decent wage in Drmic drops off too.

I'd assume there will be 2 decent sized sales in Aarons and Cantwell and a couple of loaned out players we try and shift. I know Bowyer has spoken about wanting to keep Hernandez and I believe Hugil has found some form at Cardiff.

We spent pretty significantly last time around too, I believe it was stated that Gibson and Giannoulis could techically have been signed properly that season. Granted we sold Lewis and Godfrey.

My guess is we'll probably spend a decent chunk.

You can only sell players who other clubs want to buy.  Given the performance this season who actually falls into category, I suggest there are none who will command a transfer fee.  Even Aarons has gone backwards Bayern/Barca will not come calling, perhaps Blackpool/Bristol C.