Petriix

What have they done to this club?

I'm absolutely in no doubt that Farke worked miracles with the quality of player he had at his disposal. Since his departure the team has lost all identity, sense of purpose, shape, togetherness.

The rot had clearly started with the summer transfer window, but at least there was some continuity and a plan. Ok, the plan wasn't working, but you knew how we were trying to play. Now it's just a shambles.

These are our easiest fixtures, but we're being outclassed, resorting to hoofball with nothing from the midfield. It's unrecognisable from the quality passing, movement and possession we were treated to under Farke.

The club has gone backwards in both personnel and tactics. We're worse now than at any point in the previous 3 seasons. I'm struggling to imagine how we could finish in the top half of the Championship.

(Posted at half time so let's hope this ages really badly)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

It's telling that our goal came from pure hoofball. I just don't recognise this incarnation of Norwich City. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's telling that our goal came from pure hoofball. I just don't recognise this incarnation of Norwich City. 

Thats a big part of us that's depressing.. Not only do we clearly not know who our best players or our regular 11 is but we just don't have any style or identity or.. realy anything.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it a lot more when we were the most entertaining worst Premier league team. Now we're just the worst.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I'm absolutely in no doubt that Farke worked miracles with the quality of player he had at his disposal. Since his departure the team has lost all identity, sense of purpose, shape, togetherness.

The rot had clearly started with the summer transfer window, but at least there was some continuity and a plan. Ok, the plan wasn't working, but you knew how we were trying to play. Now it's just a shambles.

These are our easiest fixtures, but we're being outclassed, resorting to hoofball with nothing from the midfield. It's unrecognisable from the quality passing, movement and possession we were treated to under Farke.

The club has gone backwards in both personnel and tactics. We're worse now than at any point in the previous 3 seasons. I'm struggling to imagine how we could finish in the top half of the Championship.

The rot had clearly started way before the window, I would suggest when Delia SMITH and MWJ announced their shares would be handed to nephew Tom, and a NCFC would become self-financing. It simply cannot and will not work at EPL level until all clubs are forced to do the same, As for Webber, well he can only sign players that self-funding will allow and pay them no more than the NCFC wage cap. It beggars belief, as it is very apparent to all, apart from the owners, whose radio 4 interview this week said it all, and to quote Delia, ‘Some you win, some you lose.’ Unfortunately they are destined to lose many many more under your chosen regime. It’s not ‘sport, it’s carnage’! We lose far more than we win, or haven’t you noticed!?

Edited by City 2nd

We had a Farke-style squad in the championship, from which we sold and lost our two best players in Emi and Skipp.

All the recruitment from then on seemed to want to move us to playing a different style of football, with a focus on pacey wingers (which Farke often avoided). However, we didn't sign enough quality or quantity of players to play the new style, and hence Farke just stuck with his old system - often leaving out the new players like Tzolis, Sargent and Rashica.

I think Smith was brought in with the intention of making us a tough to beat countering team, but when I watch us now, I genuinely don't know what our system is outside of the general formation... Pass it around for 5 mins, then hoof to our small striker for the rest of the game. We had some joy with a direct 442, but the club refused to sign another striker - so after Idah got injured we went back to zero system again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yellow_belly said:

True.

where is Wally Webber? Quiet since he sacked Farke. Should have been him.

Is he still concentrating on his mountaineering skills rather than looking after our football team? Still, as a Leeds fan, he'll be happy tonight!.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Carn said:

I enjoyed it a lot more when we were the most entertaining worst Premier league team. Now we're just the worst.

Yeah. We're getting no plaudits for our style this year, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

This is the key bit for me and I said it at the time. Farke was arguably the perfect fit for the self-funding model of developing young players for profit and there was a clear identity in the style of play. Even though we were going through a bad spell, progression isn't linear and as a club, over a longer period of time, we were progressing. We've seemingly ripped up a large part of the plan and I'm not sure where we go from here to get it back on track.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is the key bit for me and I said it at the time. Farke was arguably the perfect fit for the self-funding model of developing young players for profit and there was a clear identity in the style of play. Even though we were going through a bad spell, progression isn't linear and as a club, over a longer period of time, we were progressing. We've seemingly ripped up a large part of the plan and I'm not sure where we go from here to get it back on track.

We have no style plan or desire, just lump it and hope we pick up second ball! It’s awful. 

Maybe if fans didn't cream themselves because Dean Smith bigged us up when playing the top teams,  as opposed to bad evil Farke who said we didn't stand much of a chance...

The results are the same.

Smith deserves a chance with his own players. 

• Like 2

Just now, Indy said:

We have no style plan or desire, just lump it and hope we pick up second ball! It’s awful. 

Thats concerning as we have to be the worst team in the league when it comes to winning second balls.

Just now, hogesar said:

Thats concerning as we have to be the worst team in the league when it comes to winning second balls.

Exactly! 😉 that’s why we have the worst goals scored!

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Farke’s record in the EPL was diabolical. He didn’t have the personnel to play his style of football as no manager would, so something had to change.

Smith has been given no pounds as this squad is still Farke’s/Webber’s and I feel really sorry that he is trying to do something with nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Spot On!

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

49 games in the PL wasn’t a “bad spell”.

I agree with your points in terms of identity of play and plan, but Farke’s PL record was abysmal. 

We’ve proven you can’t play possession based football in the PL against stronger, counter pressing sides with the level of player quality we have.

I honestly don’t know where we go from here but trying the same thing that’s failed isn’t the answer for me.

I don’t think we’ve ripped up the plan entirely, thinks Smiths remit has been to try anything, no matter how ugly, to keep us up, just hasn’t worked.

• Like 2

I think we sadly lost our identity by letting the core of our team in Skipp and Buendia go and then deciding to simply not replace either of them. Farke tried to maintain it but it's definitely a sinking ship now. We've played well in parts, but haven't managed a good performance for 90 minutes all season

• Like 1

We’ll I disagree on two fronts. 

1) What have ‘they’ done to this club? Apart from navigate past a tricky financial situation, reinvent the academy, transform the infrastructure and get promoted twice (when bigger clubs are stranded in the championship)? Not a lot. Yes we’ve failed to step up again, it’s not been good enough but objectively as a club, we’ve made progress.

2) Don’t reinvent Farke please. There wasn’t an identity or continuity. It was all over the place. Farke ball was dead, 5 different formations. Players in and out of the team. Odd comments to the press.

Smith isn’t an odd appointment, especially with Shakespeare. He’s failed to pull off a miracle that’s all. A reminder that Liverpool under Klopp were  not good for a whole season. Give him a chance.

• Like 2

With the glorious benefit of hindsight we should have held on to Daniel Farke particularly as he has proved to be an excellent Championship manager.

1 minute ago, vos said:

With the glorious benefit of hindsight we should have held on to Daniel Farke particularly as he has proved to be an excellent Championship manager.

I really like Delano, he’s a really likeable guy, want him to do well, but his CV isn’t inspiring and his brand of football so far has been totally forgettable! Farke has a far better CV and knows his style, should have stuck to it through the season. Better manager and certainly can’t be criticised for Cantwell or Leitner both corrosive in their nature to the team!

2 hours ago, AJ said:

I think we sadly lost our identity by letting the core of our team in Skipp and Buendia go and then deciding to simply not replace either of them. Farke tried to maintain it but it's definitely a sinking ship now. We've played well in parts, but haven't managed a good performance for 90 minutes all season

How do you replace a player who regularly starts for Spurs and another that cost 33+ million, with our wage structure, funding and stature in the game? Such an aimless criticism.

Webber also didn’t purchase a goose that lays golden eggs. What an absolute fraud he is.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

How do you replace a player who regularly starts for Spurs and another that cost 33+ million, with our wage structure, funding and stature in the game? Such an aimless criticism.

Webber also didn’t purchase a goose that lays golden eggs. What an absolute fraud he is.

And then he went and grabbed arguably one of the leagues worst manager and assistant combo's.

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

1) What have ‘they’ done to this club? Apart from navigate past a tricky financial situation, reinvent the academy, transform the infastructure. and get promoted twice (when bigger clubs are stranded in the championship)? Not a lot. Yes we’ve failed to step up again, it’s not been good enough but objectively as a club, we’ve made progress.

2) Don’t reinvent Farke please. There wasn’t an identity or continuity. It was all over the place. Farke ball was dead, 5 different formations. Players in and out of the team. Odd comments to the press.

Smith isn’t an odd appointment, especially with Shakespeare. He’s failed to pull off a miracle that’s all. A reminder that Liverpool under Klopp were  not good for a whole season. Give him a chance.

Not too sure what you mean by transform the infastructure as The City Stand needs replacing and The South Stand was about to fail a safety certificate so had to be replaced or shut. A large loan had to be taken out and when difficulties arose with repayments Alan Bowkett rode to the rescue back in 2009 and negotiated a new deal with a holiday period to tide us over.

3 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

1) What have ‘they’ done to this club? Apart from navigate past a tricky financial situation, reinvent the academy, transform the infrastructure and get promoted twice (when bigger clubs are stranded in the championship)? Not a lot. Yes we’ve failed to step up again, it’s not been good enough but objectively as a club, we’ve made progress.

The work done at Colney has been incredible and there's still more to do. 

• Like 3

If you measure the 'stewardship' of the club from how things stood since Webber's appointment up until the the present time, I think you'd have to say we're in a better place overall. But the intelligent scouting/bringing through of Godfrey, Maddison, the Murphy twins & Jamal Lewis which has helped to keep the books on an even keel (80-90m?) got moving before his arrival.

Signings such as Buendia, Pukki & Krul have been hugely successful. Other successful signings (for me) would include Hanley, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Onel, Trybull, Zimmermann, Leitner (for the most part), Byram, McLean, Gibson, PLM and Rashica. The loan signings of Jordan Rhodes, Harrison Reed, Oliver Skipp & Brandon Williams have all contributed well on the pitch.

It's a bit easier to list the Webber-era signings which could be deemed unsuccessful, depending on your criteria: Srbeny, Marley Watkins, James Husband, Marcus Edwards, Patrick Roberts, Raggett, Franke, Heise, Passlack, Ben Marshall, McCallum, Amadou, Duda, Drmic, Sitti, Placheta, Soto, Kabak, Gilmour, Sargent, Tzolis, Normann...could probably list a few more.

Webber could rightly point to the fact that the owners' relative lack of wealth puts huge constraints on the markets in which the club fishes for talent. Signings are made & contracts are signed with one eye on an immediate demotion back to the Champo. A club looking to consolidate in this most unforgiving of divisions would not normally be primarily seeking out cheaper imports, players out of favour/contract, loan signings, young prospects, players with a poor injury record etc. expecting them to deliver. 

There are many positive aspects to what the Webber-era has delivered. He has shown with Huddersfield and now twice here that he can facilitate promotion to the top flight. But he has most definitely not achieved the stated aim of avoiding relegation. He has also publicly stated that his next job won't be in football, I believe, which is an interesting aside.

Imo, it's hard not to come to the sad & simple conclusion that you need hundreds of millions washing through the club accounts annually to be genuinely & consistently competitive at this level. We have proven that 'self-funding' will not succeed at this level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not too sure what you mean by transform the infastructure as The City Stand needs replacing and The South Stand was about to fail a safety certificate so had to be replaced or shut. A large loan had to be taken out and when difficulties arose with repayments Alan Bowkett rode to the rescue back in 2009 and negotiated a new deal with a holiday period to tide us over.

The training facilities are transformed. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

The work done at Colney has been incredible and there's still more to do. 

Indeed and at the nest. To think we had temporary cabins and the gym in an old conservatory.