Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I feel so sorry for the bloke. He works his back side off every game, makes 10's of runs 
Noticed more last night than most games, when the ball goes into Sargent, Pukki is on the move, three times he was on his bike and Sargent wasn't even aware of the run and took 5 touches to get the ball under control, instead of helping it on first time. 
Pukki gets so much stick more than ever, but he really is miles ahead in of his strike partner and midfielders, its sad that a large portion of fans don't see this. Ok he doesnt seem as explosive etc but that comes with age

Fed up with repeating the same old, but if we had someone with Buendias brain and the ball to Pukki is played, 9 out of 10 his run with be spot on and its just down to the finish, but with Sargent, by the time he gets full control of the ball, that run has been covered. 

Mclean is now our no. 10. Sad times. 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, urdie_Canary said:

its sad that a large portion of fans don't see this.

I work with a Rangers fan who would absolutely love them to sign Pukki, may be more appreciated by opposition fans than our own in some regards I'm afraid! 

Stick him in a Premier League quality team and he'd show himself to be a Premier League quality striker, simple.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I work with a Rangers fan who would absolutely love them to sign Pukki, may be more appreciated by opposition fans than our own in some regards I'm afraid! 

Stick him in a Premier League quality team and he'd show himself to be a Premier League quality striker, simple.

Correct, he is such a clever player, in a team full of runners with no eye for a pass, or at least on Pukkis level. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I work with a Rangers fan who would absolutely love them to sign Pukki, may be more appreciated by opposition fans than our own in some regards I'm afraid! 

Stick him in a Premier League quality team and he'd show himself to be a Premier League quality striker, simple.

I mean. He is closing in on the 10 goal barrier for his second of two seasons in the PL. I'd argue he has already shown himself to be a PL quality striker. 

However with a low level team resorting to hoofball he is undeniably not the ideal player. Before this season he used to not even contest headers in the air. Its his one big weakness. The Finnish NT, where he is expected to carry a lot of the goal scoring burden just like in Norwich against teams with more talented players he is quite often paired up with another striker in a 4-4-2 or 5-3-2/3-5-2. The 4-3-3, as practiced by both Farke and Smith is just not ideal with him as the striker. I suppose the idea was that Sargent/Idah would help more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's say he gets three more goals this season to take the tally to the same as last time: 11.

By my reckoning that would make 77 goals in four seasons, two of which were in the Premiership.

Almost 20 goals per season and some fans are on here bitching about him.

I think there's a good chance he'll want to leave at the end of the season, especially if we continue to play hoofball and expect him to run about upfront for no useful purpose. He can spend his last couple of years enjoying himself with a team that tries to play football and a manager that knows how to use him. The same fans would probably be criticising him for leaving then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I think there's a good chance he'll want to leave at the end of the season, especially if we continue to play hoofball and expect him to run about upfront for no useful purpose. He can spend his last couple of years enjoying himself with a team that tries to play football and a manager that knows how to use him. The same fans would probably be criticising him for leaving then.

Especially as he is reaching his twilight years as a top level footballer and he has already raided through the Champ twice. With a coach like dean Smith he could expect less chances of the type he likes. really not much for him to gain by staying here. If we reach the prem again immediately he'd be 33, pushing 34.

I have seen rumours about Rangers, Bröndby and Besiktas as places for him to move. He has also expressed a dream to go back to La liga. That would be something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I work with a Rangers fan who would absolutely love them to sign Pukki, may be more appreciated by opposition fans than our own in some regards I'm afraid! 

Stick him in a Premier League quality team and he'd show himself to be a Premier League quality striker, simple.

Not so sure. Why then (when he was two years younger) did no PL side try to sign him in summer 2020? At least no bids / enquiries were made public at any rate. Do agree with views on here about his work rate and great vision but I wonder how much this is truly recognised by other clubs to the extent of getting the cheque book out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, urdie_Canary said:

I feel so sorry for the bloke. He works his back side off every game, makes 10's of runs 
Noticed more last night than most games, when the ball goes into Sargent, Pukki is on the move, three times he was on his bike and Sargent wasn't even aware of the run and took 5 touches to get the ball under control, instead of helping it on first time. 
Pukki gets so much stick more than ever, but he really is miles ahead in of his strike partner and midfielders, its sad that a large portion of fans don't see this. Ok he doesnt seem as explosive etc but that comes with age

Fed up with repeating the same old, but if we had someone with Buendias brain and the ball to Pukki is played, 9 out of 10 his run with be spot on and its just down to the finish, but with Sargent, by the time he gets full control of the ball, that run has been covered. 

Mclean is now our no. 10. Sad times. 

 

That post header …. Poor Pukki , I thought you were referring to Lakey levels of believing as per his statement we can still do this lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Service he has received this this season must have been the worse he has had in his time here 

Must be awful knowing at the start of the game it is going to be the same old story every game run your heart out  with little service and no quality passes 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything about pukki’s game is first class except his finishing and that is why he plays for us and not a top European team. In a weird way we should be grateful for that. It it can also be very frustrating. 
 

Disclaimer: I think Pukki is a fantastic player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

The Service he has received this this season must have been the worse he has had in his time here 

Must be awful knowing at the start of the game it is going to be the same old story every game run your heart out  with little service and no quality passes 

 

 

 

 

 

He must be used to it though by now. Don't forget he has to do this all the while for Finland too, they seldom dominate teams.

Top penalty as well last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

He must be used to it though by now. Don't forget he has to do this all the while for Finland too, they seldom dominate teams.

Top penalty as well last night.

once every two months or so International i could Accept Not every 3/4 days ! 

Yes he still has it with the Pen 

i think if he went to a Team like Rangers he would score buckets full in that league 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Indeed, we have been shocked when he has missed sitters this season as it is so unlike him.

Yes, but he has - love him as we do, ‘poor Pukki’ has been apt in more than one way at times. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

once every two months or so International i could Accept Not every 3/4 days ! 

Yes he still has it with the Pen 

i think if he went to a Team like Rangers he would score buckets full in that league 

He has played in that league for Celtic, which in itself may be an issue if going to Rangers, also he admitted himself that he struggled with the physical nature of the scottish league, so doubt he'd want to end his career there.

26 games 7 goals for Celtic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

He has played in that league for Celtic, which in itself may be an issue if going to Rangers, also he admitted himself that he struggled with the physical nature of the scottish league, so doubt he'd want to end his career there.

26 games 7 goals for Celtic

i think he is a different player now i am sure he would score more now 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No striker, even the top in the Premier League, score from every chance they get but we expect Pukki to do so, because he gets so few chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Indeed, we have been shocked when he has missed sitters this season as it is so unlike him.

There's sitters and sitters. When we say Pukki has missed sitters, we mean chances we expect him to put away, not something like Sargent's miss against Brighton. Yes, Pukki has not looked as sharp or clinical as he did in the 18/19 season, for example, but I can't recall anything like a tap-in that didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Not so sure. Why then (when he was two years younger) did no PL side try to sign him in summer 2020? At least no bids / enquiries were made public at any rate. Do agree with views on here about his work rate and great vision but I wonder how much this is truly recognised by other clubs to the extent of getting the cheque book out? 

Because we would have demanded a lot of money for a 30 year old. He's Prem quality, no doubt about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Indeed, we have been shocked when he has missed sitters this season as it is so unlike him.

Regardless of what Pukki has done in previous seasons he is still human. Yes there is all the sports psychology but can you imagine being the one person who's relied on to get goals for a team who are likely to concede aswell? What's going through his mind when he gets that one chance? What's going through his mind when he maybe misses one? And he still keeps putting the effort in and keeps making those runs. People will say that is what you should do when you get paid loads of money but it must be demoralising at times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's had two seasons in the PL which he wouldn't have done if he had not joined us. Two incredible seasons at Championship level and two creditable seasons in the PL in a struggling team. Yes, he should do better on some of the chances he gets, but he is still in there making those runs and holding the ball up so well - he so rarely ever gives the ball away it is a joy to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

No striker, even the top in the Premier League, score from every chance they get but we expect Pukki to do so, because he gets so few chances.

Where's  @TeemuVanBasten when you need him to pull up all the relevant stats, recycle them to make  them sound like knowledge...and prove everybody wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love his defending. In the Charlton game we lost the ball up front and they broke with pace, only for the attacker to be taken out by a full on tackle- yes Teemu chasing back. At St Mary’s, totally isolated, when he got the ball, usually on his own, he wriggled, swerved, leaving defenders struggling to gang up on him and looking awkward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/03/2022 at 16:17, canarybubbles said:

think there's a good chance he'll want to leave at the end of the season, especially if we continue to play hoofball and expect him to run about upfront for no useful purpose

Agree with your praise of Pukki. We've been lucky to have him and despite all his goals, I still think he's a bit underrated. Such a good and clever footballer.

But I think you're being a bit harsh on Smith here. He's tried to be pragmatic to make us more competitive in the PL. It looked like working for a while, though I admit we seem to have lost our way badly now. But the Championship is a different beast and I'd expect us to play decent stuff under him next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...