Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

37 Years Ago Tonight Those That Know, Know.

What a night that was, I was 12 years old & I was sat in the south stand with my dad, I had been a season ticket holder for 5 years. If I remember correctly, Duncan Forbes was co-commentator on Radio Norfolk & just before the corner was taken big Dunc predicted that we would score from the corner, how right he was. 

35 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Great stuff, I was 15 and on the way to Wembley!

Snap, me too! What a night, hard to think it was thirty seven years ago

I Was left at home, as was "too young" and there was "gonna be trouble" supposedly, But I was adamant I was going, pestering all eventing.

Then I Heard the door go, and seen Dad had hopped it out the back and was jumping in his mates car- I sat crying as they drove off down the road.

Listened on the radio, always remember the post match interviews with Bruce and Brown bantering each other.  We got tickets to Wembley though, so can't complain - incredibly special memories.

We got relegated that year, if anyone needs a reminder that it's not the end of the world.

What a brilliant photo that is. The composition, the four City players facing the camera, the Town players all back to the camera but clearly broken. Is the no2 Burley? He looks so dejected. And finally the mist in the floodlights. Just fantastic.

Sat at home in Cornwall listening to the radio and at the same time writing an airmail letter to Mrs KG who was on holiday with my boys in NZ for 10 weeks. When Bruce scored, that was it. Whatever I had been writing I just scrawled STEVE BRUCE HAS JUST TAKEN US TO WEMBLEY!

South stand for me too! Had a great view of Bruce’s run into the box. I’m sure I was out of my seat before he actually headed it!

Blimey, that makes me feel old.

I was in the packed River End, the Ip5hit defenders seemed to part like the Red Sea as Bruce rose majestically to direct the ball into the net.

Former referee Keith Hackett said of the East Anglian derby: 

"As for the most aggressive atmosphere that I’ve ever encountered, believe it or not it was at Carrow Road for Norwich v Ipswich Town. There are certain derby fixtures that you always know are going to be highly charged, but the East Anglian derby tops the lot. The players came out of the tunnel as if they were ready for a boxing match. The noise was intense and aggressive."[6]

<Max Boyce mode> (remember him?)… ‘’I was there…. ‘’. Me and a mate bunked off early from evening lectures at City College with some spurious excuse. The lecturer gave us a knowing look and said ‘’going to the football are you lads?’’😉 Carrow Road was rocking when that header went in. What a night, IMO better than the final (which was a stinker of a game).

• Like 1