Sign in to follow this  
Web Team - Vince

Norwich City v Brighton match thread

Teams -

Norwich: Green,

Fleming, Doherty, Rehman, Drury, Johansson, Safri, Hughes, Huckerby, Thorne, Earnshaw.Subs:

Gallacher, McKenzie, McVeigh, Etuhu, Robinson.

Brighton:

Henderson,

El-Abd, Hinshelwood, Butters, McShane, Mayo, Lynch, Carpenter, Frutos, Gatting,

Hart.Subs:

Martin, Reid, Robinson, Kazim-Richards, Loft.

Referee:

Mike Thorpe (Suffolk).

Takes charge of his first Norwich

City
match tonight.

Oh surprise, surprise, Hughes is picked again. WHY? WHY? WHY?

What has he got to do to be dropped?  Ah yest, it''s come to me - if he were to play consistently well for four or five matches, he''d soon be in the reserves.

Difficult to explain but it''s obvious that ability, creativity and goal scoring possibilities have absolutely no value when it comes to getting picked for the starting eleven. When will we ever go out to try and win a game right from the start rather than waiting until half time when we''re losing.

When will Worthy ever learn.

I don''t know why anyone is surprised...?

Are you Holty, are you Holty, are you Holty in disguise? Are you Holty in disguise...?

I read the best quote about Hughes on the Y''Army website today:  "I wish I could like him, but he''s just too sh*t!"

Here, here!

Look, I dont think Hughes is particularly good but who would you put in

there instead?  We have JJ and Hux out there with Safri which

means we have ONE midfielder.  You want to add WLY to that and

leave the back completely exposed?  Pick your poison -- its either

Hughes or Robinson or Etuhu.  Either that or you drop Hux or JJ

and put WLY in there.

What''s the solution?

If you''re out there wondering what''s going on, here''s a belated update.

Not that I''m really overjoyed, and presumably no one else is either given the lack of posts, Huckerby scored after 28 minutes and at half time we''re winning 1-0

Apart from the goal, we''ve been crap.

First half stats  -  spot the difference ?

Goal Attempts6 : 5Goal Attempts
On Target3 : 2On Target
Crosses12 : 12Crosses
Corners1 : 1Corners
Offside2 : -Offside
Fouls7 : 10Fouls
Free kicks10 : 9Free kicks
 Yellow cards1 : 2Yellow cards 
 Red cards- : -Red cards 
% Possession51 : 49Possession %

Well at least we are winning… That’s something to be happy about surely? Play-offs maybe beyond us, but relegation is not and if some us think that is acceptable to have for a change manager then it baffles me…

Match stats after 70 mins - we''re worse against ten than we were against 11

Goal Attempts8 : 9Goal Attempts
On Target3 : 5On Target
Crosses19 : 20Crosses
Corners2 : 5Corners
Offside3 : -Offside
Fouls11 : 15Fouls
Free kicks15 : 14Free kicks
 Yellow cards1 : 2Yellow cards 
 Red cards- : 1Red cards 
% Possession53 : 47Possession %

[quote user="Making Plans"]65 minutes gone - has Earnshaw actually touched the ball yet ?[/quote]I''m sure he''s touched it at least twice.

I know its post match now but were any of you actually watching the match or just the stats?Stats mean little in sport apart from the form stats and that is only a guide as to what could happen.You can have all the possession you like if you do squit with it - especially if all you are limited to is passing it around the back four.Then there is the matter of the shots on target and off target. If a cross ends up looking more like a shot they class it as one along with some through balls that dont bounce before they get to the keeper. Then there are the lame shots that the player has managed to get very little too or lame long distance efforts that barely trouble the keeper.Please if you aint watching the match then don''t comment on how well they have played based upon mere stats that are always innaccurate at best of times!

Just to add to your stats Nigel, based on Tonto & The Lone Ranger''s commentary on Radio Norfolk, during 25 minutes in the second half Norwich have had possession 28 times and lost posession no fewer than 21 times!

I know we eventually were comfortable winners but Brighton are a very poor team and we were at home. Check those stats again - 75% failure rate in keeping the ball. This figure should NEVER happen in a match such as this.

The stats are a true reflection of this evening.

I had the misfortune to watch another poor display tonight - the final score just papered over the cracks. We really were dire and no way does the score reflect the relative performances of both teams. We were outplayed AGAIN in midfield by a team with 10 men for the majority of the second half. The Brighton players showed us how to pass the ball and move into space to receive the ball. (How on earth Hughes can get into any side, let alone ours, is beyond me, he was shocking again).  

It was extremely poor. We looked pretty clueless generally, and we were outplayed by a side who started tentatively, then realised we weren''t the threat they''d expected. There were positives - flashes of brilliance from Hux at last, Earnie''s touch and movement (but we don''t get the ball to him early enough), Safri better than the last 2 games, Leon so nearly scoring, and Drury. Otherwise bordering on the pathetic. It''s the worst 3-0 victory I''ve ever seen.

[quote user="chicken"]I know its post match now but were any of you actually watching the match or just the stats?
Please if you aint watching the match then don''t comment on how well they have played based upon mere stats that are always innaccurate at best of times!
[/quote]

Two crucial points Chicken -

1. I think it is pretty obvious that I was not watching the match - how could I be watching the match, looking at the the stats on the internet, listening to the commentary and making posts on here all at the same time ?

2. Sorry, but I''ll comment on what I damn well like when I like - just because I wasn''t at the match doesn''t mean that I can''t have an opinion on what I heard or what I''ve seen by way of statistics - have you never listened to a match, got a feel of what it was like and then made a comment about it ?

Go lay another egg !

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

Hughes was so bad it was unbelievable. When Brighton had a player sent off we should have sportingly volunteered to play with 10 men too.

[/quote]Having Hughes on the pitch is like playing with 10 men.

[quote user="chicken"]I know its post match now but were any of you actually watching the match or just the stats?

Stats mean little in sport apart from the form stats and that is only a guide as to what could happen.

You can have all the possession you like if you do squit with it - especially if all you are limited to is passing it around the back four.

Then there is the matter of the shots on target and off target. If a cross ends up looking more like a shot they class it as one along with some through balls that dont bounce before they get to the keeper. Then there are the lame shots that the player has managed to get very little too or lame long distance efforts that barely trouble the keeper.

Please if you aint watching the match then don''t comment on how well they have played based upon mere stats that are always innaccurate at best of times!
[/quote]

do you wanna no how well we played chicken??  we were totally **** and fortunate in that the opposition was Brighton (10 man brighton at that) and that they gave us a goal Simon Charlton Style....

Just got back and relieved to get the three points, but if I was honest Brighton deserved to get a point if only for their second half performance.  Guess the managers position is safe for another game.

Atmosphere was really strange tonight which probably reflects how most of the supporters are feeling.  At least the rival chants between the Snakepit and the Barclay livened things up for a few minutes.

After about 80 minutes things got better.  I think McKenzie made the difference.

Earnshaw isnt getting the service (no surprise there) and really didnt touch the ball first half. Falls over too easily too.

I think and hope that now he has the two goals, his confidence will grow and there is more to come.

P.S.  Liked his goal celebration somersaults.....it was right in front of me in the corner lol

Sure but your stats already differ in one half to those as full times stats by the Pink''un.Thats why stats should very rarely be used as an example of how well a team plays etc.Fair enough use the radio commentary - but just don''t base your argument around the stats. As you can see they are hardly reliable.Believe it or not but I am actually trying to help you outers by incuraging you to make better arguments rather than simply comparing stats and saying well look at that two percent possession better than us - he must go.

On this occassion the stats are a fair reflection chicken - Green was the busier keeper - and Brighton dominated most of the second half but lacked that touch of quality to make it count.  Our two late goals came as a result of Brighton pushing for a point they deserved and consequently getting tired and leaving gaps.

Our movement was woeful and the passing poor with only Safri and Zipper having anything about the passing at all.

Huge improvements still needed.

I can''t comment about the game as I wasn''t there, but it doesn''t sound great does it? It has to be said though, if the atmosphere was subdued that will affect the players & make them edgy. This was actually commented on by the Sky Sports reporter when Hux scored.  We do seem to have genuine pace upfront now but what use is it when we don''t seem to be able to pass to them? 3-0 against Brighton is no turning point, but the plyers will feel they have done their job.