Sign in to follow this  
mannings bandy legs

Hanley + Gibson

Hanley- "to me" --

Gibson- "to you"----

Hanley "to me"--

Gibson "to you" ---

Hanley "to me"---

Gibson "right.Are you going to launch it,or me?

Hanley "i'll do it!

Gibson-   "sh#t mate,its coming back again!!

Repeat.

Is this really what our club has come down to? Totally depressing.

• Like 1

Honestly the lack of communication was staggering. Don't feel that Hanley should take too much of the blame but Gibson just let one of Brentfords players run right past him without saying a word or doing any sort of gesturing only for Hanley to have to then mop up and prevent a goal all by himself.. And then at the corner kick just after this Gibson goes and tries kicking a player in the head giving away a penelty and almost gets a red card.. If I were Hanley I would be very, very angry with him

I couldn't understand when we got  goal back why Hanley wasnt stuck up front to make a nusiance of himself. 7 minutes of injury time left 

Gibson is an absolute liability at this level, directly or indirectly responsible for so many of the goals conceded. Our worst CB and shouldn’t be playing. 

• Like 1

Need Omobamidele back. He was looking very decent in the left centre-half position. Can see him and Hanley making a nice partnership.

• Like 1

Zimm looked solid at Liverpool.  Can take Gibbo's place until Oma is back.

1 hour ago, raunds canary said:

I couldn't understand when we got  goal back why Hanley wasnt stuck up front to make a nusiance of himself. 7 minutes of injury time left 

We never do anything that isn't scripted. We thought DF was bad enough but Deano apparently couldn't see past his yesterday.

Both were poor yesterday but Gibbo in particular has seen a huge drop in form. 

I don't think either of them get into many Premier League teams tbh.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Both were poor yesterday but Gibbo in particular has seen a huge drop in form. 

I don't think either of them get into many Premier League teams tbh.

Neither of them seem good enough at this point. Omobamidele is the future but if we go back up again he needs a different partner.

To be honest, I'd have Hanley as my POTS so far (I know it's not exactly a strong field). But I'd argue he is the main reason we are not still worrying about whether we are going to take Derby's record away from them this season.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

To be honest, I'd have Hanley as my POTS so far (I know it's not exactly a strong field). But I'd argue he is the main reason we are not still worrying about whether we are going to take Derby's record away from them this season.

Me too. We all know about his weaknesses. But it's really struck me in recent weeks how much our team has been afflicted with a lack of confidence. We're bad, but not that bad. It must be so hard to keep going. I know I've basically given up: it must be so hard for the players' heads not to drop. They're human beings.

In the midst of some shocking performances, Charlton in the cup and Southampton last week especially spring to mind, Grant has stood so tall and really prevented us from being (further) embarrassed. I've a lot of respect for the big man.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Neither of them seem good enough at this point. Omobamidele is the future but if we go back up again he needs a different partner.

Hanley has been consistently out best defender this season. He is good enough with a good partner. He's been in a struggling team with a rubbish midfield and yet managed to look one of our best players this season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pete said:

Zimm looked solid at Liverpool.  Can take Gibbo's place until Oma is back.

Either Zimm or Kabak (what was seriously the point of loaning this guy if he wasn't good enough to play in the first XI) need to start the next one. Gibbo simply can't keep his place after that torrid performance, conceding two woeful penalties as well

This system of playing out from the back is played with varying degrees of success by every team you are likely to watch this season because thats the way football has progressed

As for the way Norwich play it, unfortunately they go from side to side without progressing forward.If they pass to the full backs it is invariably returned to them allowing the opposition time to press them in their own final third of the pitch.

Having watched Arsenal today I took note of how their defence played out and more often than not their centre half moved forward with the ball before releasing the ball one way or the other.

Edited by Grumpy

I've said it before and I think it's still pertinent. If you had a back 4 made of the 4 best defenders in the world and put them under siege every 40-50 seconds they would also concede. Our issues are structural, further forwards.

7 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Need Omobamidele back. He was looking very decent in the left centre-half position. Can see him and Hanley making a nice partnership.

I must be losing it as I thought Hanley played left when Omo and he partnered each other in the centre of defence. Is my memory going? Was he right or left? 

One thing is for certain, Omo is the most promising player we have brought through to the first team for a very long time and will be a very, very good player.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I must be losing it as I thought Hanley played left when Omo and he partnered each other in the centre of defence. Is my memory going? Was he right or left? 

One thing is for certain, Omo is the most promising player we have brought through to the first team for a very long time and will be a very, very good player.

Think you could be right, come to think of it.

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

This system of playing out from the back is played with varying degrees of success by every team you are likely to watch this season because thats the way football has progressed

As for the way Norwich play it, unfortunately they go from side to side without progressing forward.If they pass to the full backs it is invariably returned to them allowing the opposition time to press them in their own final third of the pitch.

Having watched Arsenal today I took note of how their defence played out and more often than not their centre half moved forward with the ball before releasing the ball one way or the other.

Also, the OP in this thread is overly simplistic. You can't blame the defenders for not being able to progress the ball through the thirds when none of our three midfielders were effectively finding space and showing for the ball from deep. Gilmour did for a little bit as did Normann but both stopped.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Hanley has been consistently out best defender this season. He is good enough with a good partner. He's been in a struggling team with a rubbish midfield and yet managed to look one of our best players this season.

He sits in the same bucket as Kenny McLean for me. Good honest pro, does his job but wouldn't get in the first xi of any other Premier League team. The fact we've struggled so much to improve on players like this is one of our major issues.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

He sits in the same bucket as Kenny McLean for me. Good honest pro, does his job but wouldn't get in the first xi of any other Premier League team. The fact we've struggled so much to improve on players like this is one of our major issues.

I think Hanley is the one CB we don't need to improve on, and would probably get into a Brentford or Watford back line, possibly others without looking .The fact he's been our best player this season both with my eyes and from any stats website on our players individually suggest he's not the one we needed to worry about replacing urgently.

41 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Normally Hanley does play on the right as he is right footed, Gibson plays on the left as he is left footed. Hanley did play on the left when Omo partnered him, probably as Hanley’s more experienced and it might possibly help Omo develop better as he’s also right footed

The side players prefer to play on does tend to depend on which foot they are, although Rashica and Cantwell are both right footed

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think Hanley is the one CB we don't need to improve on, and would probably get into a Brentford or Watford back line, possibly others without looking .The fact he's been our best player this season both with my eyes and from any stats website on our players individually suggest he's not the one we needed to worry about replacing urgently.

Really? He played over a dozen games in the worst defence in the EPL in 19/20, he's a near ever-present in the second worst defence (it was the worst until two weeks ago and will probably be the worst again in two weeks) this season. 

I don't think he's been bad this season and agree he'sa shout for POTS, but if by some miracle we come back up to the EPL for the 23/24 season, Hanley needs omitting from the lineup pronto. He's just not a defender for a team looking to stay in the Prem.