Sign in to follow this  
Canario

Did Buendía cover us?

Yes, I know he's gone and yes I was not happy he did. 

However, did he hide our lack of quality across the board? When he was out of the side we looked pretty clueless and now he's no longer here, well.....we don't create anything. 

Who can step up next season? Possibly Dowell can play more of a role as his lack of pace / physicality isn't such an issue in Champs?

Who else do we have that can pick out a pass? It's strange to see a Norwich side without a decent ball player. 

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

No, that’s simply an incorrect stat - it always was and still is.

Well that's a shock! 😊 

• Haha 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

True, but there was a huge difference between our results with him in the team and out of the team.

9 minutes ago, Canario said:

When he was out of the side we looked pretty clueless

No we didn’t. It might sound clever but it’s still complete nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We rarely won a game without Buendia playing for Norwich. That is a fact.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Fact

We rarely won a game 

4 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

He rarely didn’t play. That’s also a fact. He was involved in most of our losses. That’s another fact. He also wasn’t responsible or even on the pitch for many of our winning moments in many games.

Theres lots of facts. Do we really need to keep embellishing one of them to make a point that basically just means Buendia was a really really good player and too good for the championship.

He was a key part but we were far from a one man team. That’s insulting to the rest of the squad - who had to deal with his petulance and childish behaviour that often left us exposed and without him for key moments and games.

11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If I remember right last season we did not win a match in which he did not feature. Probably wrong, might have been one but you know the point im making😉

In the Championship over two seasons we averaged around a point a game without him and 2.2 points a game with him. That's roughly the equivalent over an entire season of relegation without him and a Championship record number of points with him. 

Essentially we were an ordinary championship team with one extraordinary player. 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

He rarely didn’t play. That’s also a fact. He was involved in most of our losses. That’s another fact. He also wasn’t responsible or even on the pitch for many of our winning moments in many games.

Theres lots of facts. Do we really need to keep embellishing one of them to make a point that basically just means Buendia was a really really good player and too good for the championship.

He was a key part but we were far from a one man team. That’s insulting to the rest of the squad - who had to deal with his petulance and childish behaviour that often left us exposed and without him for key moments and games.

I'm not sure that I'd put it that way exactly but the point is a salient one.

Buendia provided several moments of magic that would have led to wins but he also made some silly decisions that either prevented us from winning or at least made winning more difficult.

Buendia is one of the best players to have worn a Norwich shirt but his absence is not the only reason we're bottom.

53 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I'm not sure that I'd put it that way exactly but the point is a salient one.

Buendia provided several moments of magic that would have led to wins but he also made some silly decisions that either prevented us from winning or at least made winning more difficult.

Buendia is one of the best players to have worn a Norwich shirt but his absence is not the only reason we're bottom.

The statistics tell a different story. In the 2 championship seasons Emi played we got 14 points in the 15 games he didn't play. That's perilously close to relegation form. 

In the 77 games he did play we got 177 points which is 2.3 per game which is close to a Championship record. 

The only reason we were promoted twice was Emi Buendia. Without him we would have struggled to survive in both those seasons. 

I've often seen him described as petulant on this forum but that is laughable. I've never seen a player fouled as often as Emi. It was often brutal stuff designed to take him out of a game and he got precious little protection from referees. It was hardly surprising he reacted occasionally, I think most people would snap in those circumstances. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The statistics tell a different story. In the 2 championship seasons Emi played we got 14 points in the 15 games he didn't play. That's perilously close to relegation form. 

In the 77 games he did play we got 177 points which is 2.3 per game which is close to a Championship record. 

The only reason we were promoted twice was Emi Buendia. Without him we would have struggled to survive in both those seasons. 

I've often seen him described as petulant on this forum but that is laughable. I've never seen a player fouled as often as Emi. It was often brutal stuff designed to take him out of a game and he got precious little protection from referees. It was hardly surprising he reacted occasionally, I think most people would snap in those circumstances. 

Uncomfortable but true.

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That is quite a leap

Emi was a quality player last season no doubt and without him I don't think we get promoted with the same ease.

But the fact is the gap between Premier League and Championship is huge now. A Norwich team without Emi is still better than 90% of the championship. Fulham are walking the league yet again despite relegation, Bournemouth will likely bounce back with them and even Sheffield United who were gash last season and have Paul Heckingbottom in charge look like they'll finish top 6. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

That is quite a leap

Not really, it's just simple mathematics. 

The plus point for next season is that not only does the Premier League get better every year, the Championship seems to get worse. I've watched a few games this season and I've been quite shocked at how bad it is. 

But the fact remains that we'll be going into next season without Buendia and Cantwell. Having said that, I think we've improved virtually every other position since Farke's first promotion. 

Really shows the difference between our teams and others. Buendia was magnificent for us but now, at Villa, he has been unable to get a start for the last two matches.