Samwam27

Preparing for next season

13 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I just want us to only buy quality or potential quality.

We have enough good enough for the Championship players, we don’t need more.

Keep the majority of this squad together, clear the deadwood and buy only a small handful of players with top Championship/PL potential.

If we don’t get promoted again something’s very wrong, and if we do third time it needs to be stronger than these two dismal efforts.

Agreed. Only target absolute necessary areas to improve. The defence and keeper are covered. 

Wingers look covered. Central midfield, AM need desperate attention.

We shouldn’t be bolstering squad numbers. Trust in the U23s to step up for the bench. If not now then when for Dan Adshead, Flynn Clarke, Tom Dickson-Peters?

I think we definitely need a new striker 

Dickson-Peters doesn't even get a game for Gillingham at the bottom of League one. He's not going to be Championship ready next year

Especially as we looked best this year playing Idah and Pukki together we need at least another Championship standard striker in the squad 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Be very careful what you suggest HY. You may finish up with egg on your face!

So you think we will be in a relegation battle next season? A top six finish is much more likely if you are objective instead of melodramatic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I think we definitely need a new striker 

Dickson-Peters doesn't even get a game for Gillingham at the bottom of League one. He's not going to be Championship ready next year

Especially as we looked best this year playing Idah and Pukki together we need at least another Championship standard striker in the squad 

Jordan hugoals incoming

32 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Then you are either being melodramatic or an idiot 

Calm down sweetheart, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're an idiot. 

As it happens now the dust has settled and the initial anger has gone....

No we would not struggle to stay up, BUT if the team play like they did yesterday with no passion, no spine, no guts, no grit, no creativity and no ideas then a top 6 finish is way off and mid table is much more likely. 

the squad needs an overhaul.... Again. 

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Calm down sweetheart, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're an idiot. 

As it happens now the dust has settled and the initial anger has gone....

No we would not struggle to stay up, BUT if the team play like they did yesterday with no passion, no spine, no guts, no grit, no creativity and no ideas then a top 6 finish is way off and mid table is much more likely. 

the squad needs an overhaul.... Again. 

I’m the one being rational, absolutely no need to calm down thanks dear.

@nutty nigel Think we are about to get another pledge. Godly thinks we’ll be in a relegation fight. How much do you pledge? I think we’ll be top six, you think bottom six. 

17 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Read again champ, I said mid table

You were defending someone who thought we would be relegated. What’s your pledge then?

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

So you think we will be in a relegation battle next season? A top six finish is much more likely if you are objective instead of melodramatic.

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

Why don’t you actually READ the post, the word ‘MAY’ might point you in the right direction! Pleased to think that with ALL the outgoings that will be on the cards, YOU think the rest will be good enough to finish top six! That’s not melodramatic at all, but it’s my opinion they won’t,  which I am entitled too, just as you are yours. The fact we disagree does not mean you have to be rude, as you are clearly showing to many on here who disagree with you!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Why don’t you actually READ the post, the word ‘MAY’ might point you in the right direction! Pleased to think that with ALL the outgoings that will be on the cards, YOU think the rest will be good enough to finish top six! That’s not melodramatic at all, but it’s my opinion they won’t,  which I am entitled too, just as you are yours. The fact we disagree does not mean you have to be rude, as you are clearly showing to many on here who disagree with you!!

So as long as you say ‘may’, you are immune from any criticism or countering of your point. Good to know but makes a forum completely pointless.

I think Norwich MAY sign Messi next season. End of debate because I said may. 

HY are you capable of trying to stick to the discussion, or simply on this forum to harass and criticise. People have differences of opinion. People are too quick on this forum to criticise others.

We have no idea who MAY or may not stay/go, who MAY or may not come in. We have no idea if Smith MAY stay or go, or Farke MAY return. Webber MAY stay.

We MAY storm the championship or not, one hopes we have a relatively strong squad to challenge, for automatic spot I don't know, or top six, but it's all opinions and subjecture. Respect other peoples opinions  

5 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

HY are you capable of trying to stick to the discussion, or simply on this forum to harass and criticise. People have differences of opinion. People are too quick on this forum to criticise others.

We have no idea who MAY or may not stay/go, who MAY or may not come in. We have no idea if Smith MAY stay or go, or Farke MAY return. Webber MAY stay.

We MAY storm the championship or not, one hopes we have a relatively strong squad to challenge, for automatic spot I don't know, or top six, but it's all opinions and subjecture. Respect other peoples opinions  

So the debate is pointless then. Every scenario may happen. It’s not an opinion if you say may, you are describing a possible scenario. 

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Agreed. Only target absolute necessary areas to improve. The defence and keeper are covered. 

Wingers look covered. Central midfield, AM need desperate attention.

We shouldn’t be bolstering squad numbers. Trust in the U23s to step up for the bench. If not now then when for Dan Adshead, Flynn Clarke, Tom Dickson-Peters?

I think we need to decide on what our philosophy of approach is, because that dictates the players required. 

Much as I like Rashica, we replaced a creative midfielder in Buendia with an out and out winger in Rashica and width and crossing doesn’t play to Pukkis strengths.

We went three in midfield yet barely any seem to be able to thread a throughball if their life depended on it, again negating Pukki who was almost our entire goal threat.

I think to play Pukki or a similar player requires a number 10, creative midfielders on the flanks not wingers and/or a stronger partner to play off.

Point being depending on how we play, the midfield doesn’t need a total overhaul - we want to avoid a total overhaul imo as I think its one of the reasons this season went so poorly. Rupp, McClean, Sorensen, Lees-Melou are all more than capable of playing a role in the Championship depending on how we are playing and who else is in the middle/front 6.

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think we need to decide on what our philosophy of approach is, because that dictates the players required. 

Much as I like Rashica, we replaced a creative midfielder in Buendia with an out and out winger in Rashica and width and crossing doesn’t play to Pukkis strengths.

We went three in midfield yet barely any seem to be able to thread a throughball if their life depended on it, again negating Pukki who was almost our entire goal threat.

I think to play Pukki or a similar player requires a number 10, creative midfielders on the flanks not wingers and/or a stronger partner to play off.

Point being depending on how we play, the midfield doesn’t need a total overhaul - we want to avoid a total overhaul imo as I think its one of the reasons this season went so poorly. Rupp, McClean, Sorensen, Lees-Melou are all more than capable of playing a role in the Championship depending on how we are playing and who else is in the middle/front 6.

It’s an interesting point. I don’t think Farke was left out of discussions but the signings didn’t feel like his players. Smith will need to have a strong voice in that conversation 

11 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

So the debate is pointless then. Every scenario may happen. It’s not an opinion if you say may, you are describing a possible scenario. 

Good grief. People only use the phrase May because none of know what happens next season. It doesn't mean the debate is pointless, nor are your or my opinions a waste of time. It just means you don't have to be rude.

I agree with you in that I believe we have a top 6 squad should we go down. Obviously if we go wholesale changes, then it's a rebuilding season, but other than the obvious candidates that Cantwell, Aarons and possibly Rashica being sold, then we still have a strong experienced squad to challenge at the top next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hertfordyellow said:

It’s an interesting point. I don’t think Farke was left out of discussions but the signings didn’t feel like his players. Smith will need to have a strong voice in that conversation 

Agreed. As much as we have missed a CDM, we've also missed a playmaker, and we've focused on wingers, which in my opinion doesn't play to Pukki's strengths, as he's not a target man for crosses.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

So as long as you say ‘may’, you are immune from any criticism or countering of your point. Good to know but makes a forum completely pointless.

I think Norwich MAY sign Messi next season. End of debate because I said may. 

I would change your name to Wayne Kerr.!

And by the way, if you think NCFC may sign Messi you are a bigger one than I thought!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Either Farke was out of the loop on these players which is a massive failing of the club leadership and Farke himself, or Farke was involved and agreed these were the players we needed for the way he wanted to play.

For me I don’t see a scenario where Farke isn’t at least equally culpable when it comes to our summer overhaul, and ultimately he paid for that failure.

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Either Farke was out of the loop on these players which is a massive failing of the club leadership and Farke himself, or Farke was involved and agreed these were the players we needed for the way he wanted to play.

For me I don’t see a scenario where Farke isn’t at least equally culpable when it comes to our summer overhaul, and ultimately he paid for that failure.

Yeah there is a transfer committee. Obviously Webber is the most visible of that group but it doesn’t make him sole responsible for transfer success

13 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Yeah there is a transfer committee. Obviously Webber is the most visible of that group but it doesn’t make him sole responsible for transfer success

Well correct me if I’m wrong but Webber doesn’t have a football background in terms of the technical side of the game does he?

Webber overseas the coaching and recruitment teams, he organises the deals but he presumably isn’t and shouldn’t be deciding on the targets.

It’s personally why I’m not calling for his head and giving him some slack, Webbers in charge but there’s a collective responsibility for the failure of last summer IMO.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Well correct me if I’m wrong but Webber doesn’t have a football background in terms of the technical side of the game does he?

Webber overseas the coaching and recruitment teams, he organises the deals but he presumably isn’t and shouldn’t be deciding on the targets.

It’s personally why I’m not calling for his head and giving him some slack, Webbers in charge but there’s a collective responsibility for the failure of last summer IMO.

He’s been head of scouting. I should imagine a certain level of football background is needed for that. I’m not 💯 though.

3139B330-8914-4812-9A70-5F2C22A420E3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

He’s been head of scouting. I should imagine a certain level of football background is needed for that. I’m not 💯 though.

3139B330-8914-4812-9A70-5F2C22A420E3.jpeg

Thanks. I meant he’s never been in the weeds as a player or a scout/coach to my understanding so doesn’t have that low level technical knowledge of players I assume.

Managing a team that’s not necessary, you see that play out in all walks of life, but it does mean you are relying in that position on the people in your team to be the experts. If they fail buck still stops with you as you employ/manage them and set the direction.

20 hours ago, City 101 said:

We need to get rid of everybody and start again , how a club that has spent two seasons out of the last four in the top flight has managed to collect a squad so full of ****e is quite frankly hard to fathom .

Apart from Omobamidele I wouldn't be disappointed to see anyone else leave the club this summer.

I don't want to see a squad full of bang average players not good enough like Zimmermann, McLean, Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Hugill.

There's something to work on with the likes of Sorensen, Rowe, Idah etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, City 101 said:

We need to get rid of everybody and start again , how a club that has spent two seasons out of the last four in the top flight has managed to collect a squad so full of ****e is quite frankly hard to fathom .

It has been brought about by letting Stuart Webber handle the buying and selling of players. He obviously knows very little about what constitutes a good Premier League player, as we now have the worst squad that we have ever had in the premiership! Indeed I would say that this is the worst squad that any team has had in the history of the Premiership!

I fear for us next season. The squad that we have needs a massive overhaul before we can even compete in the Championship. Dark days are ahead. We won’t get anywhere with the little old Norwich attitude, time for Delia to sell up. 😡

Some of this is a bit melodramatic yes the championship will be difficult but at championship level we have a good defence and strike force. We’ll have two strong loan players from big 6 sides again to bolster midfield.

I see Huddersfield are near the top of the championship a side we destroyed last time we played them. 

The hard bit is the start of the season particularly at Carrow Road where other teams will see it as a free hit whereas our fans will be wondering are we are not 3-0 inside 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Assuming Dean smith is still here next season I hope his playing style changes to something more pleasing on the eye. I know this isn’t his team of signings but we need to get back our identity. Even from kick off we launch it forward hoping for a knock on. Not seen premier teams do that for ten years. Struggling to see any improvement in any players either in his short time here. Hope we kept the receipt for soccerbot. 

12 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

We probably need to spend 30 or 40 million in the summer to sort this squad; where’s that coming from?

Well probably from the selling Cantwell and one or both of Rashica and Aarons.

We need a team to get us out of the championship - you can only win the league you are in.

Assuming all the loans leave..

On the plus side:

1. GK - no issues, only question is which youngster to make No.3 with McGovern either coaching or seeing out his last season on loan.

2. FB - McCallum coming into the mix to compete with Gianoullis. If Max goes we will be ok with Byrom and Mumba backing up.

3. CB - ok with what we have got at championship level. Hanley & Omo as first choice over Gibson & Zimbo. Potential for Tomkinson to become back up or one of the loanees if clubs don’t take up an option (Famewo? Bushiri?)

4. CMF - Sorensen deserves a go in the holding role but needs an experienced signing alongside him. Any of PML, Mclean or Rupp can cope at championship level but we need new blood.

5. Out wide we have options - especially if Idah or Sargent are going to play as one of them. Rowe is well and truly in the mix with Rachica, Tzolis could yet come good and I wouldn’t turn away Onel for a final season. One question is who ends up as the No.10 given how poor Dowell has been. Some mention of Sinani but I hear he has been hit & miss. Cantwell? - he is out of the building.

6. Forwards - really we need a potential replacement for Pukki. Not pensioning him off yet but someone who can push him onto the bench. Not convinced Idah or Sargent are out and out strikers. Hugall? I would see how he looks in pre season.

7. Will any of our loan players come into the mix? Most likely is Adshead who was doing well before his injury. None of the others seem to have made the most of their loans yet but Smith might see something in Martin? Omotoye? 

So two biggish signings needed and we should have enough for next season

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Thanks. I meant he’s never been in the weeds as a player or a scout/coach to my understanding so doesn’t have that low level technical knowledge of players I assume.

Managing a team that’s not necessary, you see that play out in all walks of life, but it does mean you are relying in that position on the people in your team to be the experts. If they fail buck still stops with you as you employ/manage them and set the direction.

Yes, he said he came through as a coach at Wrexham and had done his coaching badges on the high performance podcast he did.