pete

Smith as mad as it comes

He’s playing the same formation and players that Farke was using and was being unsuccessful with. The only time he changed it, the results improved. That fact he has reverted back to what Farke was doing so unsuccessfully, is the maddest part.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daly said:

This performance was equivocal to the Colchester game all those years back

Oh for a Holt,  Huckerby and Hoolihan

We miss emi more than the 30odd million has proved useful. In fairness what other side's win the league, go up and sell. Should have stayed, what was the worry from him? He'd of still got a move if good enough! Money? Was there nothing we could do? Wages I mean here?

Or at the very least, we could of held out right to the death and milked more of villas money from the jack g sale

Needed him to get best out of pukki. We had already lost steepi and mario - although deemed surplus to this premier League season. Hmm DF did loose his best weapon, and had pukki close to nullified by loosing EMI. Yes Webber gave him some new (young guns) but what was the plan? They don't totally got into our winning system of the time - as in DFs team!

Smith now should be given the chance to do his version of the squad but that will cost and this year's been poor really, not blaming Smith but it just has. 

I thought the whole point of SW and his role was continuity of style of play, regardless of manager, so surely the appointment after DF should have been happy with DFs system/style or similar, which also suited the squad. Smith maybe was never going to be that guy. Different styles. So? Again rasies the question who did SW have in mind when Daniel was fired? And why he signed those type of players in summer that don't truely fit DF style?

20 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Our best midfield performance this season was Everton - h , with a midfield of Sorenson and Lees Melou

Sorenson showed himself to be a better defensive midfielder than anyone else we have whilst PLM a better box to bix than McLean

Somehow we'vw ended up with neither now in the team and we're back with McLean and Gilmour again

Excellent point, though Everton were dire! Think PLM gets a lot of unnecessary stick on here, no doubt for being French. Perhaps dueto his gangly frame you'd expect him to be a bit more physical but he does win a lot of balls. We were miles better once he came on y'day. 

Edited by Canario
Gangly not gnarly autocorrect!!

20 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Our best midfield performance this season was Everton - h , with a midfield of Sorenson and Lees Melou

Sorenson showed himself to be a better defensive midfielder than anyone else we have whilst PLM a better box to bix than McLean

Somehow we'vw ended up with neither now in the team and we're back with McLean and Gilmour again

Sorensen has played DM for 90 minutes for us 5 times this season: Villa (H), Everton (H), and Watford (A) in the league, Charlton (A) in the Cup, and Bournemouth (H) in the League Cup. It's noticeable that we won 4 of those games (and we have only won 6 games all season so far).

I know the sample is small, and I know we were very poor against Villa, and that Charlton and Bournemouth were lower-league opponents, but I think this at least suggests he deserves some more game time to see if this is just coincidence. He may not look spectacular but he seems to have a calming effect on the team.

He also played CB for 90 minutes against Palace, which we didn't lose, and the last 70 minutes against Manchester United, which was possibly our best performance of the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

We miss emi more than the 30odd million has proved useful. In fairness what other side's win the league, go up and sell. Should have stayed, what was the worry from him? He'd of still got a move if good enough! Money? Was there nothing we could do? Wages I mean here?

Or at the very least, we could of held out right to the death and milked more of villas money from the jack g sale

Needed him to get best out of pukki. We had already lost steepi and mario - although deemed surplus to this premier League season. Hmm DF did loose his best weapon, and had pukki close to nullified by loosing EMI. Yes Webber gave him some new (young guns) but what was the plan? They don't totally got into our winning system of the time - as in DFs team!

Smith now should be given the chance to do his version of the squad but that will cost and this year's been poor really, not blaming Smith but it just has. 

I thought the whole point of SW and his role was continuity of style of play, regardless of manager, so surely the appointment after DF should have been happy with DFs system/style or similar, which also suited the squad. Smith maybe was never going to be that guy. Different styles. So? Again rasies the question who did SW have in mind when Daniel was fired? And why he signed those type of players in summer that don't truely fit DF style?

The fact that SW appointed Smith would suggest that he had no one in mind when he sacked Farke, as he wasn't even an option at that point. I can see why he went for a manager with a different system/style as clearly Farkes wasn't working or going to work at this level, but we needed to back him in January to bring 1 or 2 players in that would at least give us a chance to succeed with a different system.

Whether you're in Farkes camp or Smiths, or neithers, the underlying problem is our starting 11 are championship players, and the rest are lower championship/league one level.  I'm not going to slate Mclean, he clearly cares, and leaves everything out on the pitch, trouble is, he is playing a league above his level.

To have neither addressed our obvious need for a CDM, a replacement for our best player or for adequate striker cover, I would say is gross negligence on Webbers part, and contributed to Farke losing his job and the predicament we find ourselves in.

• Like 2

The main issue he is he doesn’t have the players for Farke ball. Especially now confidence is total gone. Likewise he doesn’t have the players to a more pragmatic style of play Idah injury ended that.

This is the beginning of another decade in Championship midtable obscurity unfortunately. We had two opportunities to really go for it and we've failed both times. It's pathetic really.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Sorensen has played DM for 90 minutes for us 5 times this season: Villa (H), Everton (H), and Watford (A) in the league, Charlton (A) in the Cup, and Bournemouth (H) in the League Cup. It's noticeable that we won 4 of those games (and we have only won 6 games all season so far).

I know the sample is small, and I know we were very poor against Villa, and that Charlton and Bournemouth were lower-league opponents, but I think this at least suggests he deserves some more game time to see if this is just coincidence. He may not look spectacular but he seems to have a calming effect on the team.

He also played CB for 90 minutes against Palace, which we didn't lose, and the last 70 minutes against Manchester United, which was possibly our best performance of the season. 

He went off injured against Watford after about 20 minutes. Score was 0-0 and although we looked worse after he went off, you can’t say the win was anything to do with him.

• Like 1

Didn't our coach say how impressed he and his assistant were with the squad when they joined up? And then how getting players back from injury/illness and whatever would be like new signings in the window? Would be surprised if he was expecting any spending.

On 05/03/2022 at 19:41, astro said:

He can’t play a forward pass or make a surging run through midfield. His corners and free-kicks are awful. Yes, let’s play him further upfield - behind the goal as a ball boy 👍

He doesn't meet the height requirements for a ball boy 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

He went off injured against Watford after about 20 minutes. Score was 0-0 and although we looked worse after he went off, you can’t say the win was anything to do with him.

Yes, you're right, I forgot that he got injured early on. It was a genuine mistake, and I promise I wasn't trying to massage the data.

Even so, his record looks rather better than a lot of other players (e.g. Gilmour).

5 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, you're right, I forgot that he got injured early on. It was a genuine mistake, and I promise I wasn't trying to massage the data.

Even so, his record looks rather better than a lot of other players (e.g. Gilmour).

I like Lungi a lot, but, as you admit, the sample is way too small, and I really don't think you can add in those two cup games. 

I think we probably have to admit that the squad isn't good enough, and that none of the players who have been underused would have made that much of a difference. But I do generally agree that not even trying a different approach is a bit bizarre

On 06/03/2022 at 13:38, glory.win or die. said:

I have been critical of mcClean for a few seasons, but in his defence I would say he seems to really care. He's the only one I ever see moaning at players, yesterday he had a right go at Gilmour and later Gibson.

We've all worked with people like that. Hardly encouraging and when you watch him on the pitch he just gets in the way and gets everyone down. Bound to start Thursday though. 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

No worries, as I said we did look worse after he went off-as predicted by at least 1 person standing behind me at the game!