Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Worst refereeing performance or just VAR?

I have to say when I saw Taylor, supposedly our country’s top ref, officiating today I was happy…but to me he was utterly dreadful….played-on for a number of bad tackles that he didn’t go back to give  cards for, one for Ajer on Rashica was a certainty. Of course he got booked a little later (and then flicked on the corner - when he should not have been on the pitch).

And if anyone thinks the way VAR is running in this country is fit for purpose, they ought to watch that game - it was utterly ruined as a spectacle by it.  The game had 8 minutes of injury time and by my reckoning it was short by 4 at least - showing how utterly inept var is (not that anyone wanted the game to continue, I’m sure).

Without  VAR we might have had a relatively good match in our hands - which may well have finished 3-2 to them -  but I’m sure it would not have left me extremely angry about ineptness of football officiating.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Yeah - I agree. VAR is supposed to give supporters more confidence in decisions but instead does the complete opposite (and takes ages to do it!)

• Like 2

To have taken so long on the Pukki ‘offside’ was utterly ridiculous.  It is or it isn’t - just get the decision made, that’s surely all we ask…there should be a time limit.

Even on commentary they constantly bang on about "tight calls", um guessing to add to the "entertainment"?! Pukki was clearly offside and the linesman should have flagged. This ridiculous keep the flag down and wait for car policy is also what ruins it. It's often being used for calls that are yards offside!

(And yes I realise they were checking on pukki to see if the ball touched him - another issue. He's clearly interfering even if it didn't touch him!)

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its another argument for another day. Surely its not just now that anyone thinks VAR has spoilt the EPL?

Why is it another argument for another day.  The system - or the way it is used - is simply not fit for purpose.  I’d much rather ‘honest’ decisions made on the pitch, which will include mistakes…you do then you get inept performances such as Taylor’s today that are annoying, but the whole experience is made ten times worse with the added crapness of those idiots at Stockley Park..  

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Why is it another argument for another day.  The system - or the way it is used - is simply not fit for purpose.  I’d much rather ‘honest’ decisions made on the pitch, which will include mistakes.  Though then you get inept performances such as Taylor’s today that just make the whole experience extremely annoying.  

We have had post after post about how bad VAR is. I don't know what yoy have missed for the last couple of seasons but virtually the whole football world is against it, certainly in its present format.

Today, VAR was correct in its decisions. But the point is, its as controversial using it as football was before it was introduced. Goal line technology is sufficient.

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

To have taken so long on the Pukki ‘offside’ was utterly ridiculous.  It is or it isn’t - just get the decision made, that’s surely all we ask…there should be a time limit.

I don't like the time limit argument, they should be allowed all the time needed to make the correct decision, rushing them will end up with more mistakes

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

I don't like the time limit argument, they should be allowed all the time needed to make the correct decision, rushing them will end up with more mistakes

No - offside either is or it isn’t - if it isn’t obvious the benefit of the doubt should always go to the attacking side. Always. It is quite simple. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

No - offside either is or it isn’t - if it isn’t obvious the benefit of the doubt should always go to the attacking side. Always. It is quite simple. 

And Pukki was offside. 

I must be wrong as have seen no mention of it anywhere but there looked to be a stamp by Toney on Normann in the centre circle mid way through the second half. Normann went down and started protesting but then seemed to get on with the game pretty quickly. Anyone else see it? I was at the game so didn’t have any replays 

• Like 1

Anthony Taylor has always been cr*p.

VAR is awful. No ref check for the Williams penalty appeal but clear the ball with your foot a bit too high and let's watch 30 replays and get the ref to watch it too. I dont even care if they came to the right decision, in the ground you have no clue and completely ruins it as a spectator sport.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Which should have never taken 3 minutes to decide.  Ever. Utterly ridiculous.

Of course not. Its making the game too precise. Its making it virtual. 

Football got on very well without it until bullies like Ferguson said "howlers" had to be checked and reversed. Now everything is checked.

• Like 1

This is clutching at straws. Gibson gave away two penalties. We had two marginal calls waved away. Nothing would've changed the outcome. This was at home against the worst (form) team in the league. It's nothing but our own fault.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is if its trying to explain why we keep losing.

I don't like the thing, but to try to claim that the system is biased every week is pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

38 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I must be wrong as have seen no mention of it anywhere but there looked to be a stamp by Toney on Normann in the centre circle mid way through the second half. Normann went down and started protesting but then seemed to get on with the game pretty quickly. Anyone else see it? I was at the game so didn’t have any replays 

I saw it. Was just after the ref had blown for a free kick elsewhere. A bit like a boxer sneaking in a punch after the bell.

It wasn't a bad stamp but definitely  deliberate 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I saw it. Was just after the ref had blown for a free kick elsewhere. A bit like a boxer sneaking in a punch after the bell.

It wasn't a bad stamp but definitely  deliberate 

Yes a free kick had already been given to us, but why wasn’t it looked at? Toney knew he’d done wrong as was really quickly trying to get Normann up and laughing around with him. No idea if it was bad or if he missed him completely but it was one of those that you see live and go ‘oooo that’s nasty, he’s in trouble’

I’ve not suggested we lost because of var, but it was poorly used today in terms of time taken, by people who probably don’t give a toss about supporters.  I don’t suppose we will ever see any of the ‘non’ decisions.  
The referee was just dreadful, period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canario said:

Even on commentary they constantly bang on about "tight calls", um guessing to add to the "entertainment"?! Pukki was clearly offside and the linesman should have flagged. This ridiculous keep the flag down and wait for car policy is also what ruins it. It's often being used for calls that are yards offside!

(And yes I realise they were checking on pukki to see if the ball touched him - another issue. He's clearly interfering even if it didn't touch him!)

Was he clearly offside? I’m not at all convinced he wasn’t level with or behind the ball when it was crossed. 

Ref was awful today. Let them get away with fouling us constantly and a string of cynical strategic fouls 

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Ref was awful today. Let them get away with fouling us constantly and a string of cynical strategic fouls 

Agree entirely. If that was our first game of the season we'd all be furious with him. It's just that we know we have way bigger problems than an over-lenient ref.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Was he clearly offside? I’m not at all convinced he wasn’t level with or behind the ball when it was crossed. 

His feet certainly appear to be level to me. But then doesn’t Puuki always get flagged offside because a beard hair has strayed over, or something. I hate this imaginary VAR line that they draw. Have it as the furthest forward point of the attacking player’s foot as that’s actually tangible rather than subjective…

The 'clear and obvious' principle with VAR should mean clear and obvious to the naked eye as distinct from clear and obvious to a slide rule.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

This is clutching at straws. Gibson gave away two penalties. We had two marginal calls waved away. Nothing would've changed the outcome. This was at home against the worst (form) team in the league. It's nothing but our own fault.

Gibson could of seen red for the first imo

We were poor,they were better.

I thought the second penalty was debatable but whether you like it or not its here and you have to go with the decision.

What does annoy me is the extent that Brentford have been schooled in the art of time wasting,injury exaggeration and general bad sportsmanship.

Unfortunately that was a stressful and annoying day from the moment I left my house.Not just because of the journey and the game but the realisation that some of the supporters that surround me really are a waste of space so much so that as I sat on the bus ride home I actually thought to myself that after supporting City for over 60 years I am beginning to feel a more pressing need to watch and listen from the comfort of my armchair.I really am not enjoying it any more.