Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

'Matches are won in the midfield'

Have we ever won a match with Mclean and Gilmour in the middle? Honestly I'm curious.

What kind of matches can be won with Gilmour and Mclean I wonder? Anybody know?

Fair to say the loud boos at half time were fully deserved and the players should feel ashamed, Webber can do one and never return and Smith needs a brain scan to see whats going wrong with his team selection today when we all knew what was coming second we saw the selection and formation. Pukki on his own is toothless why are we playing one up top when we started to look good with two?, why is Sargent not with him? Why is Rowe not on the wings given how he's shown so much more than the rest of our team? But nope, Gilmour and Mclean are the worlds greatest midfield due according to two of our managers now, they will always have their place and nobody should ever question it as clearly they are forever first choice and untouchable..No wonder Rupp is asking to leave and god knows Sorenson is probably wanting to tear up his contract. And where the hell is Tzolis gone too now? Why were the board so happy to not do any bussness in the last window claming we were fine?

Anyway, Rotherham away awaits. It's just so predictable and depressing isnt it?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I looked back and I believe we have that single 2-1 win against Southampton where they both played

Edited by Carn

Strange how we only looked a threat when Rowe came on. Pukki turned into a different player and we carried a threat for the first time all match and the fantastic assist pass and goal.. Takes notes dean.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Strange how we only looked a threat when Rowe came on. Pukki turned into a different player and we carried a threat for the first time all match and the fantastic assist pass and goal.. Takes notes dean.

Strange how Rashica had a goal ruled offside before that, if we didn’t even look a threat.

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with you about the quality of our midfield, but today's game wasn't lost there. We had essentially the same number of shots/shots on target as the Bees. Lack of composure in both boxes the main problem. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Not disagreeing with you about the quality of our midfield, but today's game wasn't lost there. We had essentially the same number of shots/shots on target as the Bees. Lack of composure in both boxes the main problem. 

Number of shots is meaningless.

Early xg stats have us at 0.88 and Brentford at 2.2 suggesting the chances they created were of a significantly higher quality.

Just now, king canary said:

Number of shots is meaningless.

Early xg stats have us at 0.88 and Brentford at 2.2 suggesting the chances they created were of a significantly higher quality.

they had 2 pens.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

they had 2 pens.

Very good point, would have to see what xg excluding pens looks like.

We lost this one because we couldn't defend. Other games we lost for other reasons. It is patently ridiculous to say the team is made up of average championship, they are good championship players. Thats the problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very good point, would have to see what xg excluding pens looks like.

Pens are approx 0.8 aren't they by xPG rules?

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We didn't. Sheer luck and rightly ruled out.

Why was it luck? I'd also argue hugely that it was rightly ruled out. None of the midfielders were good today, Normann included.

Playing 3 box-to-box midfielders in the middle is suicide ... especially in this league.

We needed to buy at least two big, strong, athletic bullies in the summer ... we bought zero.

• Like 2

We gave away two penalties, that cost us the game.  The reason we gave away two penalties is because we surrendered midfield to Brentford without protecting our defence, due to the choice of midfielders.  This is Smith's error.  

• Like 1

As much as McClean shouldn’t be in a Premier League team, who would you replace him with? Genuine question.

Our midfield is not good enough full stop and the fact that Kenny is still playing week-in-week-out is a damning assessment of our recruitment.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Have we ever won a match with Mclean and Gilmour in the middle? Honestly I'm curious.

What kind of matches can be won with Gilmour and Mclean I wonder? Anybody know?

Fair to say the loud boos at half time were fully deserved and the players should feel ashamed, Webber can do one and never return and Smith needs a brain scan to see whats going wrong with his team selection today when we all knew what was coming second we saw the selection and formation. Pukki on his own is toothless why are we playing one up top when we started to look good with two?, why is Sargent not with him? Why is Rowe not on the wings given how he's shown so much more than the rest of our team? But nope, Gilmour and Mclean are the worlds greatest midfield due according to two of our managers now, they will always have their place and nobody should ever question it as clearly they are forever first choice and untouchable..No wonder Rupp is asking to leave and god knows Sorenson is probably wanting to tear up his contract. And where the hell is Tzolis gone too now? Why were the board so happy to not do any bussness in the last window claming we were fine?

Anyway, Rotherham away awaits. It's just so predictable and depressing isnt it?

Be careful Cambridgeshire, Ian will be on here soon with his Putinesque defence of both. Armed with his "book larnin'" and identification of cognitive dissonance we have no chance

@Ian  - no cognitive dissonance here.  Gilmour and McLean are both worthless dog****e this season.  No comparators needed - simply no effin good

@Cambridgeshire - I cant answer your question directly but i posted on the "Gilmour effect" last week.  that can be updated to FIVE points in SIXTEEN starts

Hats off to Billy he is one of the lowest impact players ever to play for Norwich

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Pens are approx 0.8 aren't they by xPG rules?

Why was it luck? I'd also argue hugely that it was rightly ruled out. None of the midfielders were good today, Normann included.

And Kenny was arguably our best midfielder, broken record @hogesar

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And Kenny was arguably our best midfielder, broken record @hogesar

Sorry MY, Rowe and PLM both did more in their 10 minutes than Kenny did in the rest of the match.

10 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Playing 3 box-to-box midfielders in the middle is suicide ... especially in this league.

We needed to buy at least two big, strong, athletic bullies in the summer ... we bought zero.

And not necessarily even big units. Skip isn't exactly Mr muscle but he reads the game and is disciplined in his role. Our midfield roam around all over the place, don't cover each other, don't track runners and barely put a foot in

8 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

Be careful Cambridgeshire, Ian will be on here soon with his Putinesque defence of both. Armed with his "book larnin'" and identification of cognitive dissonance we have no chance

@Ian  - no cognitive dissonance here.  Gilmour and McLean are both worthless dog****e this season.  No comparators needed - simply no effin good

@Cambridgeshire - I cant answer your question directly but i posted on the "Gilmour effect" last week.  that can be updated to FIVE points in SIXTEEN starts

Hats off to Billy he is one of the lowest impact players ever to play for Norwich

Genuine question, who the hell is Ian??? 

17 minutes ago, (Hoola)Han Solo said:

As much as McClean shouldn’t be in a Premier League team, who would you replace him with? Genuine question.

Our midfield is not good enough full stop and the fact that Kenny is still playing week-in-week-out is a damning assessment of our recruitment.

Sorenson 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Absolutely. Especially three box-to-box midfielders who don't work well together as a unit.

31 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I know we were never going to keep Skipp but why we decided it would be great to let him go and not buy a like for like replacemet is beyod me when it's clear he was one of the main reasons we won so many battles in the midfield.. I'm not counting Normann given he's a loan and sadly forever injured.

Normann is also a different type of player from Skipp, but a Skipp type player we were in desperate need of, considering we'd also lost Tettey

17 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Genuine question, who the hell is Ian??? 

Ken

that has cheered me up.  "Ian"  (that is his forum name - simple as that) is unknown to you yet has made over 5000 posts.  The reason is probably  that his 5000 posts are about as impactful as Gilmour and McLean's contribution this season

5 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

Ken

that has cheered me up.  "Ian"  (that is his forum name - simple as that) is unknown to you yet has made over 5000 posts.  The reason is probably  that his 5000 posts are about as impactful as Gilmour and McLean's contribution this season

😂 My apologies to Ian, who doubtful gives a toss but I can't recall noticing them before 🙈