Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Midfield 3 against Brentford

5 minutes ago, Segura said:

Rupp's got to start for me, hopefully he can score another 'speculative' goal

Yeh, fml, 🤦‍♂️. I heard that comment as well. I'm surprised he didn't say he toe poked it as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really hope we don't have a 'midfield three' as we have done a lot better when Teemu gets some support near him.

It's a 442 for me.

• Like 1

After last night's performance, it has to be Normann, PLM and Rupp with Rashica and Rowe out wide.

• Like 1

Sorensen didt seem to convince Farke for whatever reason and doesn't do so to Smith either. It's obviously something being seen or not seen Monday - Friday at Colney. 

On that basis it needs to be Rupp, Normann and one other, so in choosing between Kenny, PLM ad Gilmour I'd probably go for the latter.

12 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Sorensen didt seem to convince Farke for whatever reason and doesn't do so to Smith either. It's obviously something being seen or not seen Monday - Friday at Colney. 

On that basis it needs to be Rupp, Normann and one other, so in choosing between Kenny, PLM ad Gilmour I'd probably go for the latter.

Agree that Farke didn't seem to trust Sorenson, but Smith hasn't used Sorenson recently because he's been injured!  Last night was his first back in the squad.  Once Smith is satisfied he is up to speed watch him return to the starting line up.

16 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don’t really care though what is seen in training. In the Everton game and the first 20 minutes at Watford he put in the only displays by a midfielder us all season that come close to what has been needed defensively. He is the only one who is effective at breaking up play and actually tackling in that key area in front of the defence. Rupp can do it ok in a more advanced role. 

Without a player of that type, teams are just able to run at us too easily. 

I'd only include Normann in a three with protection behind him. He really isn't a CDM. I like Sorenson's calmness under pressure and Rupp's industry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t really care though what is seen in training. In the Everton game and the first 20 minutes at Watford he put in the only displays by a midfielder us all season that come close to what has been needed defensively. He is the only one who is effective at breaking up play and actually tackling in that key area in front of the defence. Rupp can do it ok in a more advanced role. 

Very much agree with this.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't disagree, I'd probably have Lungi in my midfield if I was picking the team but like you I don't work with the players every day and the bloke who selects the starting eleven does. 

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You are all wasting electricity. It will be Gilmour, McLean and one other.

You are probably right and that is what is annoying at times. Us fans cannot understand why. We don't need a smart ares to tell its because we don't know enough about football.

I went for Rupp, Sorenson and PLM. But see the midfield as a poison chalice. Normann hasn't done a thing since he came back and PLM can go missing for periods.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You are probably right and that is what is annoying at times. Us fans cannot understand why. We don't need a smart ares to tell its because we don't know enough about football.

I went for Rupp, Sorenson and PLM. But see the midfield as a poison chalice. Normann hasn't done a thing since he came back and PLM can go missing for periods.

Totally agree, and on Normann as well.

It appeared Billy and Kenny were rested for that reason. I expect to see them two plus Normann, but wouldn't be surprised to see Lucas get the nod after two decent performances.

Normann was totally anonymous yesterday. 

I don't think any of our midfielders are really better than the other overall. They all have a couple of strengths and multiple weaknesses. I guess Normann is slightly ahead of the rest but after that it's much of a muchness. Rupp deserves to start again, So if we say two a Normann and Rupp then I'd want either Mclean / PLM for some physical presence / aerial ability.

• Like 2

The way Gilmour and McLean didn't start but were brought on to keep them match-fit means I would be very very surprised if it's anything other than a Gilmour-McLean midfield against Brentford.

4 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I would like to see Normann, Rupp and Sorensen.

Am I the only fan of that combo?

This would be my ideal 3 too, but Normann really struggling to reach the levels of pre-injury since he's been back IMO. Nowhere near as dominating for us at the moment.

Sorensen, Normann and either Rupp or PLM. This is the only combination that will save us. I’d he plays McLean and Gilmour any more we are down 

• Like 1

To me, we've recently looked our best in a 4-2-4 (or 4-4-2) that featured two largish and most defensive CMs who weren't afraid to tackle and foul: Sorensen + Lees-Melou. I'd go back to them. And then the four featured at least some size + speed. I quite liked the Rashica-Pukki-Idah-Sargent quartet. Idah is out now so I'd go Rashica-Pukki-Sargent-Rupp and have this injuries notwithstanding:

Krul

Byram-Hanley-Gibson-Williams

Sorensen-PLM

Rupp-Pukki-Sargent-Rashica

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

The way Gilmour and McLean didn't start but were brought on to keep them match-fit means I would be very very surprised if it's anything other than a Gilmour-McLean midfield against Brentford.

And there was me hoping Deano had stiffened the sinews and dropped them.

6 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yeh, fml, 🤦‍♂️. I heard that comment as well. I'm surprised he didn't say he toe poked it as well. 

Classic TV commentator bias.  if it had been a Liverpool goal he would have waxed lyrical about how the Liverpool player had used the defender as a shield to bend the ball around and deceive Alisson. Instead it is described as "speculative" lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Segura said:

Rupp's got to start for me, hopefully he can score another 'speculative' goal

Rupp poked in a late consolation goal for Norwich 😂

I'm in favour of Rupp, Normann and Sorenson. I'd also be tempted to start Rowe mainly because Brentford won't be expecting it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

When Rupp was hooked directly after netting, it suggested to me that he might be down for a start against Brentford. Normann, Rashica & Pukki the same, from that triple change. Sorensen being kept in reserve, as usual it seems. ( I agree he will be a starter for most games when back to full fitness)

If Normann & Rupp are starters, would that be enough in a midfield 2 for 60/70 mins? Or if we stick AN Other into a 3, perhaps Sargent could come in during the second half where he seems to be more effective?

Back 5 picks itself so perhaps:

Normann     Rupp

Rowe     McLean      Rashica

Pukki

With Sarge, PLM & Gilmour off the bench

or maybe a 3 with:

Normann     Rupp     Gilmour/PLM/McLean

Sargent     Pukki     Rashica

I came to the conclusion early this season that all our midfield options are decent players with some good attributes, but there's very little between them and none are of sufficient quality to be consistently competitive against top half teams at this level. And now we're looking fairly threadbare up top too. We may well have enough to beat the likes of Brentford and a struggling Everton, but not enough to avoid the drop. No room left for the likes of the Southampton performance to have any chance.