Jamal simply chose the wrong step, he's not a bad player and will no doubt resurrect his career elsewhere in the summer assuming he will continue to no longer have a place at Newcastle. At the time I said he deserve better than the Toon, and I still think that. He wasn't the finished article I think Newcastle were expecting, and it has hindered him badly. I feel if he had gone to a club like Everton/Leicester to become a long term replacement to their longer serving players (Coleman/Baines etc.) then I think he would have done okay. He was far too exposed in a fairly average Newcastle back 4, which they have effectively completely overhauled in the transfer window.

• Like 1

I think Giannoulis was unlucky in the sense that the game where Williams was 'injured' (Liverpool away) was not one which suited his talents. I'd always prefer Williams against top six opposition because I think he's the more rugged defender. But I think Giannoulis has just as much to offer (perhaps more) going forward against teams of similar ability to ourselves where we are more likely to be on the front foot. 

5 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I think Giannoulis was unlucky in the sense that the game where Williams was 'injured' (Liverpool away) was not one which suited his talents. I'd always prefer Williams against top six opposition because I think he's the more rugged defender. But I think Giannoulis has just as much to offer (perhaps more) going forward against teams of similar ability to ourselves where we are more likely to be on the front foot. 

Giannoulis was excellent against Man Utd. Much better than Williams has been against anyone.