Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Rupp contract talks...

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Let's face it, we had a massive midfield clear-out in the summer: (obviously Buendia and Skipp) Tettey, Vrancic, Stiepermann, followed by Martin and Hernandez then Cantwell out on loan. We've got Normann and Gilmour to go back at the end of the season. Without Rupp, who do we actually have?

In the central area it's only McLean, PLM and Sorensen. As far as I'm concerned, we need to be investing heavily in that area of the pitch with a big signing, but I can't see how we could possibly let any of the others go. Likewise, with the attacking midfield, Rashica, Sargent, Placheta, Dowell and Tzolis is simply not enough. Maybe if any of the loanees come back then we could assemble a second tier team, but otherwise we need to invest there as well.

A couple of decent signings and we could have a top quality Championship squad (say a Buendia and a Skipp).

A Buendia and a Skipp is asking  more than a couple of 'decent signings'

• Like 2

I think it’s a wise idea keeping him, as it’s highly likely we’ll go down. Yes he’s rather injury prone but only turned 31 in January and did ok in the Championship last season. Although Normann wants to stay I very much doubt we’ll be able to afford him at Championship level and if we fail to bounce straight back up we’ll probably end up having to sacrifice a few more of our current first team players

I wouldn't keep Normann or Gilmore even if they wanted to stay - neither are Championship players. Assuming we get our £11m for Cantwell and £15m or so for Aarons and our wageroll reduces by the same level as our TV income, we should have plenty of money available to get what we need for the level below. £25m still buys 3 or 4 decent players at that level.

If Rashica also moves on for another £10m or so, even better.

Rupp is an honest, hard-working midfielder who lacks the necessary technical skill level to play at Premier League level, the exact same as Mclean. Both will always give it there all but ultimately just not good enough for the top level. This is of course not their fault, you can only ask that players give it there all, but at 31 years of age, I would get rid. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I wouldn't keep Normann or Gilmore even if they wanted to stay - neither are Championship players. Assuming we get our £11m for Cantwell and £15m or so for Aarons and our wageroll reduces by the same level as our TV income, we should have plenty of money available to get what we need for the level below. £25m still buys 3 or 4 decent players at that level.

If Rashica was to leave, it would be for significantly more than £10 million

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

I remember the 'firesale' predictions from many on here after our last relegation, they almost seemed disappointed on here we kept the likes of Pukki, Emi, Cantwell and Aarons

Yes, yes, but it then gave the same people the argument "what idiot sells the prized asset upon promotion"... you're not allowed to say we hung onto him because that would suggest we overcame the having to sell on relegation... 

We got Rupp for peanuts didn't we? Wasn't it a nominal amount because he was on a free in the summer?

I think some folks do him a disservice to be honest, more technical than many give him credit for. Yes, not the most technical player, but then neither was Tettey and to the majority, he's one of our best recent players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Petriix said:

Let's face it, we had a massive midfield clear-out in the summer: (obviously Buendia and Skipp) Tettey, Vrancic, Stiepermann, followed by Martin and Hernandez then Cantwell out on loan. We've got Normann and Gilmour to go back at the end of the season. Without Rupp, who do we actually have?

In the central area it's only McLean, PLM and Sorensen. As far as I'm concerned, we need to be investing heavily in that area of the pitch with a big signing, but I can't see how we could possibly let any of the others go. Likewise, with the attacking midfield, Rashica, Sargent, Placheta, Dowell and Tzolis is simply not enough. Maybe if any of the loanees come back then we could assemble a second tier team, but otherwise we need to invest there as well.

A couple of decent signings and we could have a top quality Championship squad (say a Buendia and a Skipp).

Hamer at Coventry would slot nicely into this squad in the championship next season. No Buendia but still a cracking player and the type we are so missing in midfield. 

58 minutes ago, chicken said:

We got Rupp for peanuts didn't we? Wasn't it a nominal amount because he was on a free in the summer?

I think some folks do him a disservice to be honest, more technical than many give him credit for. Yes, not the most technical player, but then neither was Tettey and to the majority, he's one of our best recent players. 

I like Rupp, he did more than McLean, Gilmour and Normann combined in 10 mins than those 3 put together did all game. I feel when he doesn't play we miss his energy. My only concern is his injury record here. Seems to pick up niggly injuries. Only featured in 50% of our league games last time out in the championship.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Yes. It was under €1m, and when I looked at it on the exchange rate at the time I think it was about £450,000

16 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Surely that’s exactly what is needed in the Championship? See Buendia and Mitrovic.

17 hours ago, sgncfc said:

If the idea is to return to the PL the season after next stronger than now we need to buy some quality that we think will actually step up to that challenge, having a great Championship side isn’t enough. If we could persuade Normann and we think he’s overcome the worst of his fitness issues we should buy him IMO. He’d be excellent in the Championship and ultimately we need to keep incrementally progressing the squad.

17 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I wouldn't keep Normann or Gilmore even if they wanted to stay - neither are Championship players. Assuming we get our £11m for Cantwell and £15m or so for Aarons

Where did you get £11 mil for Cantwell from, is this the optional fee from Bournemouth if they get promoted? Would be a good fee if we could get that (unless he has storming end to his championship campaign with them). 

I don't see why we would let Aarons go for £15 mil though, we've got to be rejecting all bids under £20 mil and I'd hope that Webber would hold out for something closer to £25 mil to be honest. 

"as far as I'm concerned, we need to be investing heavily in that area of the pitch with a big signing"

Good luck with that!

On 28/02/2022 at 20:30, Move Klose said:

I like Rupp, he did more than McLean, Gilmour and Normann combined in 10 mins than those 3 put together did all game. I feel when he doesn't play we miss his energy. My only concern is his injury record here. Seems to pick up niggly injuries. Only featured in 50% of our league games last time out in the championship.

Yup, I seem to remember he had a serious injury the season before we signed him too. It's a shame as age isn't on his side either. I suspect he may be one we hand a one year contract to with the option of a further year.

Deffo a good squad member, gets on with his duties well, without fuss and with little fanfare. Seems to get it in the neck from fans a fair bit too, but despite that, a useful squad member. Clearly Dean Smith thinks so too.

Though one also has to remember that with two of our midfielders here on loan it would leave us with Sorensen, McLean, Rupp and PLM. Not to shabby. Though we do know Kenny would like to move to Rangers at some point, and at 30, if we wanted to make money on him, it probably provides one of the best opportunities to do so. Not that I would like to see him go.

Whether we stay up or go down, I think there is going to be a fair amount of change. It'll be a very interesting summer I suspect. 

Rupp is a decent footballer and I would say probably no better or worse than what PLM has offered, and I'd say he's been better than Gilmour. Worth keeping if we do get relegated as he can do a job in the middle. Towards the end of last season I thought he did quite well

If he will sign a new contract then worth keeping but if we are in the champs next season we really need to be bedding Sorensen into that midfield. A midfield of Sorensen, Rupp and PLM could be good at that level. 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Buffon is 44 so your point is

The only 44 year old midfielder we'll ever have is Kenny McLean 😉

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Buffon is 44 so your point is

Buffon ....GK

Rupp.......MF

You dont see the difference. ?