Sign in to follow this  
Inch High aka Inchy..

Go get Knutsen.

As soon as the season ends I still feel we should go after Knutsen from Bodo/Glimt. 

Smith never was and never will be the answer, he's too mediocre. Knusten is the kind of manager that suits us.

Smith is(dare I say it)too British and set in his ways.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I think Smith can point to his points haul improvement , especially by the end of the season, and fairly claim he deserves a season at the level below. And we would have an exceptional manager and coach for that level.

• Like 4

It’s not the management it’s the ownership that holds this club back. That is not glaringly obvious. And the same voices that were wrong when they assured us we would be mad to sack Farke (Smith has improved us) are also wrong when they suggest nobody would buy us or do a better job than the Smiths. They simply fear change and prefer the devil they know…

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s not the management it’s the ownership that holds this club back. That is not glaringly obvious. And the same voices that were wrong when they assured us we would be mad to sack Farke (Smith has improved us) are also wrong when they suggest nobody would buy us or do a better job than the Smiths. They simply fear change and prefer the devil they know…

So who is going to buy the club?

• Like 1

I must admit I would have preferred Knutsen over Smith when we were looking, but now that he is in place, i'd say we are better off keeping him. By and large we look better than we did under Farke, but let's not forget this isnt a squad assembled with/for Smith. Give him a chance to build a team next season if/when we go down. To say we would finish mid table with Smith is just stupid. Yes we might, as we might under Knutsen or Farke, had we kept him, but also we might finish top again, or at least top six. We will still be one of the big hitters in the championship, even with a rebuild, we should have one of the stronger squads.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

So who is going to buy the club?

Nobody who sells a house refuses to put it on the market because they don’t know who will buy it. Nor do those who refuse to put it up for sale ever discover who is interested in buying it. This is a silly argument that is always thrown out. Until the club is up for sale we simply won’t know- but looking at previous 15 years it turns out that there were lots of billionaires Interested, some good and some bad. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Knutsen won't come here now. He's destined for bigger things.

That said, I'll be gutted he goes to Leeds.

S*it, I hadn't thought about that! Probably the next big name in European coaching and Webber lets him slip through his fingers.

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

As soon as the season ends I still feel we should go after Knutsen from Bodo/Glimt. 

Smith never was and never will be the answer, he's too mediocre. Knusten is the kind of manager that suits us.

Contender for ‘stupid post of the season award’, dressed up as knowing a bit more about football than the rest of us.

44 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Nobody who sells a house refuses to put it on the market because they don’t know who will buy it. Nor do those who refuse to put it up for sale ever discover who is interested in buying it. This is a silly argument that is always thrown out. Until the club is up for sale we simply won’t know- but looking at previous 15 years it turns out that there were lots of billionaires Interested, some good and some bad. 

Whats silly is likening the housing market to buying a football club.

If you want to do that, liken it to the top 50 properties available in Europe.

In that case, those who own them receive offers regularly from the richest who want their next paradise. 

If you don't believe me, there's an incredibly dull series on the TV about exactly that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Still FASCINATED to know WHO would've come in if Smith hadn't been fired when he was!

Well CC. I thought the man webber already had Adams in place ready to do a temporary stand in for a month .   Knutsen finished the season (was he inline to come in January?. Then up popped Deano and bingo . Ready made and no compensation needed. Is this what happened? Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s not the management it’s the ownership that holds this club back. That is not glaringly obvious.

I agree with you - "it is not glaringly obvious."

Over the years I have asked hundreds of times what people with your argument think new owners would do differently to improve matters - how much extra would they give us + why would they give it to us and how much would be enough?

The answer is usually "I don't know but Leicester/ Man City and Chelsea managed, so why can't we?" It is not a very thought through answer and wishful thinking at best - if we want it badly enough it will happen magical thinking.

For the record, I along with many others would welcome a multi-billionaire happy to give us hundreds of millions of pounds - I'd love a "money no object owner" and I'm sure that nearly everybody would agree. The only difference is that I don't believe that we can advertise the club in the ads section in "Multi-Billionaires R Us Weekly Journal" and be inundated with offers. I don't believe in Father Christmas anymore or the tooth fairy either.😟

"When I was a child, I spake as a child. I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

Well CC. I thought the man webber already had Adams in place ready to do a temporary stand in for a month .   Knutsen finished the season (was he inline to come in January?. Then up popped Deano and bingo . Ready made and no compensation needed. Is this what happened? Just a thought.

This is close to what I guess happened. Webber screwed up by sacking Farke and assuming he had Knutsen in his pocket; Knutsen had other ideas; Webber jumped at the chance of Smith to save his own blushes. Of course, I have no way of proving this; it's just speculation.

3 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Idiot - Smith is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear - you don’t know what your doing as the song goes (to you Indy ) 

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree with you - "it is not glaringly obvious."

Over the years I have asked hundreds of times what people with your argument think new owners would do differently to improve matters - how much extra would they give us + why would they give it to us and how much would be enough?

The answer is usually "I don't know but Leicester/ Man City and Chelsea managed, so why can't we?" It is not a very thought through answer and wishful thinking at best - if we want it badly enough it will happen magical thinking.

For the record, I along with many others would welcome a multi-billionaire happy to give us hundreds of millions of pounds - I'd love a "money no object owner" and I'm sure that nearly everybody would agree. The only difference is that I don't believe that we can advertise the club in the ads section in "Multi-Billionaires R Us Weekly Journal" and be inundated with offers. I don't believe in Father Christmas anymore or the tooth fairy either.😟

"When I was a child, I spake as a child. I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Why do you say that ? Huge potential here - only club of note in the whole of east Anglia , why can’t we attract some serious interest and money - because Delia is selfish and hangs in to her baby and passes to nephew who has no clue - great ! 

4 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Every manager who has ever kept us up in a Premier League season has been British.

So how on earth can a Norwich manager ever be "too British".

Knutsen would have struggled with this group of players, Webber and his squad building is the problem.

25 minutes ago, Sheer Canary said:

Why do you say that ? Huge potential here - only club of note in the whole of east Anglia , why can’t we attract some serious interest and money - because Delia is selfish and hangs in to her baby and passes to nephew who has no clue - great ! 

Of course we would attract serious interest. I would take it if they were giving it away ☺️.

Just as a matter of interest though, how much do you think it would cost to buy the club, and establish it as a premier league team quickly?

And how do you think they would get their money back? Or would they just give it to us?

1 hour ago, Sheer Canary said:

Idiot - Smith is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear - you don’t know what your doing as the song goes (to you Indy ) 

Indy? Not sure Indy has anything to do with post. And you refer to me as an idiot.

Oh the irony.🤣🤣

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This is close to what I guess happened. Webber screwed up by sacking Farke and assuming he had Knutsen in his pocket; Knutsen had other ideas; Webber jumped at the chance of Smith to save his own blushes. Of course, I have no way of proving this; it's just speculation.

So complete bollox then. Webber is a long term admirer of Smith, he tried to hire him previously.

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

Whats silly is likening the housing market to buying a football club.

If you want to do that, liken it to the top 50 properties available in Europe.

In that case, those who own them receive offers regularly from the richest who want their next paradise. 

If you don't believe me, there's an incredibly dull series on the TV about exactly that.

I bet you’ve watched every episode twice. 

14 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This is rubbish.

I have it on good authority (that is, I’ve made it up) that Webber once spoke to Pep at a Man City game and Pep gave him a look which made it clear he actually had a burning desire to manage Norwich and see out his career with us.

Unfortunately the Russian secret service had other plans as they want the failure of Ipswich to form a false flag for a takeover by a Russian oligarch with billions to launder before he takes Ipswich to the Champions league. They threatened to assassinate Ed Sheeran so Pep pulled out as he was worried about the impact on Norfolk/Suffolk political relations.

Of course I have no way of proving this, it’s just speculation.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This is rubbish.

I have it on good authority (that is, I’ve made it up) that Webber once spoke to Pep at a Man City game and Pep gave him a look which made it clear he actually had a burning desire to manage Norwich and see out his career with us.

Unfortunately the Russian secret service had other plans as they want the failure of Ipswich to form a false flag for a takeover by a Russian oligarch with billions to launder before he takes Ipswich to the Champions league. They threatened to assassinate Ed Sheeran so Pep pulled out as he was worried about the impact on Norfolk/Suffolk political relations.

Of course I have no way of proving this, it’s just speculation.

Your sarcasm is noted, and I suppose I invited it.

However, it's fact that when Webber sacked Farke, Smith was not available. It seems, therefore, that either Webber made the dismissal without having anyone set up as a replacement (unlike Villa, say, with Gerrard), or he thought he had a replacement set up and it fell through. Of course, you can argue that Webber knew on the grapevine that Smith was about to be sacked, but that would be speculating just the same as me. 

8 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Your sarcasm is noted, and I suppose I invited it.

However, it's fact that when Webber sacked Farke, Smith was not available. It seems, therefore, that either Webber made the dismissal without having anyone set up as a replacement (unlike Villa, say, with Gerrard), or he thought he had a replacement set up and it fell through. Of course, you can argue that Webber knew on the grapevine that Smith was about to be sacked, but that would be speculating just the same as me. 

My point is that speculating about what may have happened is just speculation unless you have some sort of evidence. Just because something appears to be the most likely scenario proves nothing without evidence.

There is a third possibility beyond the two you list, which is that Webber had a shortlist of potential candidates. Whether this was just in his head, or it was more advanced, for example, he’d spoken to representatives of those on it, we are unlikely to ever know. But if he did maintain this kind of list of potential candidates, it would be only sensible that it would change over time as the stock of those on it rose and fell, and their availability changed.

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

My point is that speculating about what may have happened is just speculation unless you have some sort of evidence. Just because something appears to be the most likely scenario proves nothing without evidence.

There is a third possibility beyond the two you list, which is that Webber had a shortlist of potential candidates. Whether this was just in his head, or it was more advanced, for example, he’d spoken to representatives of those on it, we are unlikely to ever know. But if he did maintain this kind of list of potential candidates, it would be only sensible that it would change over time as the stock of those on it rose and fell, and their availability changed.

It is also demonstrably untrue. It on record that Webber has tried to hire Smith previously and so obviously is an admirer.

• Like 1