Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Poland Refuse to Play Russia in World Cup Play Off

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Genuine question,I wonder how Chelsea and their fans will react / join in as their game is a cup final and I am sure Liverpool fans will be making their thoughts heard.

Liverpool fans will be too pre occupied with booing our own national anthem..

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

And the vast majority are also saying what the West are doing now, should have been done then and maybe this would not have happened.

This is far more serious and in addition Putin is clearly turning mad and Ukraine at least have the weapons to put up some resistance.

Of course, fully agree. Just pointing out the 'the world always has a war somewhere' part.

I’d suggest every PL team adopts yellow and blue as their away kit for the rest of the season. A simple thing, but a very powerful statement. 

• Like 2

What about Belgium and Italy who got exemptions from EU sanctions to continue selling diamonds and high end fashion items to Russia? Germany vetoed banning Russia from SWIFT so they can still buy gas from them.

Shame on them all and tells us how supportive they would be if a NATO state was attacked.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Czech Republic and Sweden need to follow Poland's example and refuse to play if Russia are not expelled. That would make it very hard for Fifa to chuck out three teams to save one.

Sweden have followed suit in refusing to play Russia irrespective of the location.

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Out of interest, does anyone on this board know a Chelsea fan who isn't a complete pr1ck? I've never met one.

I know a Chelsea fan who is not a complete pr1ck.... part of him is a bit of a tw@

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sooty57 said:

I know a Chelsea fan who is not a complete pr1ck.... part of him is a bit of a tw@

Probably the best you can hope for

A matter of time until the same happens with China.  The West sucks up to them for trade, they also own football clubs, time to massively reduce trade with them.  

I agree with the sentiment of most posters on this thread.

The only thing that surprises me is that we haven't had a single poster from one of our far right colleagues accusing us of "virtue signalling" (yet). I wonder why?

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

The only thing that surprises me is that we haven't had a single poster from one of our far right colleagues accusing us of "virtue signalling" (yet). I wonder why?

Oh trust me on social media there are two types of people posting things like that right now and it's either 'NO POLITICS IN FOOTBALL 😡!!' or something like 'Now the world must do what they are doing for Ukraine for Palastine and Europe must stand with Palastine and sanction Israel send all your soilders to fight for us and fly the Palestine flag from every building in Europe!!!!!!!!!!'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I made a similar point on the Ukraine thread. Of all the recent accusations about 'wokeness' the attack on virtue signalling was always the most pathetic. Invariably used either by people who simply disliked the particular virtue being signalled, often for political reasons, or were opposed to or even shamed by any kind of moral stance.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I made a similar point on the Ukraine thread. Of all the recent accusations about 'wokeness' the attack on virtue signalling was always the most pathetic. Invariably used either by people who simply disliked the particular virtue being signalled, often for political reasons, or were opposed to or even shamed by any kind of moral stance.

As Times columnist Danny Finkelstein said, 'What else would you like me to signal?'

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FCC said:

A matter of time until the same happens with China.  The West sucks up to them for trade, they also own football clubs, time to massively reduce trade with them.  

Unfortunately, as long as we consumers insist on price being the major factor in most purchasing decisions we are destined to ship products around the globe from the cheapest suppliers, regardless of the conditions under which they are made. 

We are all guilty of wringing our hands and protesting about human rights, but then helping to fund the very regimes we abhor through our purchasing decisions. If we actually started giving a basic grounding in practical subjects in schools (like the bad old days), made apprenticeships the norm instead of filling our supermarket checkouts with new graduated young men, and returned to actually manufacturing things and eating locally produced food instead of importing everything, other governments would be less able to hold us to ransom. We might even help save the planet if we don't move everything half way around the world.

Old fart's rant over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes - this is my view. There have been no "virtue signalling" charges due to the fact that the "usual suspects" are opposed to the invasion.  On the other hand, they are quite partial to a bit of racism/ sexism/ homophobia etc which is where the virtue signalling "charge" comes in.

Maybe one of the usual suspects may chose to explain why we are wrong? 

• Like 1

I can't believe that FIFA would put Russia through if the other playoff teams refuse to play them but, if they do, it would give all other teams an opportunity to boycott the World Cup finals, which were awarded in very dubious circumstances to a totally unsuitable host.

On 26/02/2022 at 12:00, Well b back said:

Indeed

Unless I missed something ( didn’t watch the warm ups ), was quite surprised nothing was done in our game last night. I assume the EPL is beamed to Russia and while there are no protests Russia can just carry on like nothing is happening.

When Poland played Russia in the 1982 World Cup the Spanish crowd chanted 'Solidarnosc' throughout the game. The Russians pulled the plug on the transmission 

On 26/02/2022 at 15:47, Crafty Canary said:

What about Belgium and Italy who got exemptions from EU sanctions to continue selling diamonds and high end fashion items to Russia? Germany vetoed banning Russia from SWIFT so they can still buy gas from them.

Shame on them all and tells us how supportive they would be if a NATO state was attacked.

In the end, Belgium has agreed to add diamonds to the sanction list and sent 2000 machine guns instead, Italy has also relented and provided hundreds of millions of Euros in support. Germany has agreed to chuck the Russians out of swift and sent stinger missiles and anti tank weaponry to Ukraine.

Our own government has also dropped its slightly tame sanction regime of the first day and gone all in.

Seems like the West isn't as weak and disunited as people thought. It just took us about 48 hours to realise how serious it was.

19 minutes ago, 1902 said:

In the end, Belgium has agreed to add diamonds to the sanction list and sent 2000 machine guns instead, Italy has also relented and provided hundreds of millions of Euros in support. Germany has agreed to chuck the Russians out of swift and sent stinger missiles and anti tank weaponry to Ukraine.

Our own government has also dropped its slightly tame sanction regime of the first day and gone all in.

Seems like the West isn't as weak and disunited as people thought. It just took us about 48 hours to realise how serious it was.

They're crediting a lot of it to Zelensky's speech to EU leaders. Sounded pretty powerful stuff, signing off with a farewell saying it might be the last time they speak to him. What an unbelievably dignified and courageous leader.

While I fully agree with the full refusal by all countries I do feel sorry for Russian sportsman who are against this war too! It’s sad that it’s one person which causes so much hardship to so many, utterly disgraceful what he’s done to Ukraine, but also what he’s done to his own Russians.

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is only a holding position. if somehow the crisis ends very soon then Fifa might get away with this. If not then Fifa will end up prioritising the three over the one.

Well, that held for even less time than I’d imagined…

15 hours ago, Indy said:

While I fully agree with the full refusal by all countries I do feel sorry for Russian sportsman who are against this war too! It’s sad that it’s one person which causes so much hardship to so many, utterly disgraceful what he’s done to Ukraine, but also what he’s done to his own Russians.

Sorry to sound harsh but ultimately we are all responsible for our own country whether we like it or not. Permanent change in Russia will only ever be achieved from within but the Russian people have been prepared to tolerate this sort of behaviour for 80 years. 

There has been a lot of media coverage of demonstrations in Russia but the truth is those demonstrations are relatively tiny. We need at least around 70% of the Russian people to actively demand genuine democracy but at the moment support for Putin remains strong. 

I do feel sorry for the Russian sportsmen involved as this is not a doping issue where they are to blame.

HOWEVER, the crux here, as far as I can tell, is creating conditions where they'll rise and rip out their elites. And as interest rates rise, their sports teams may not be involved in worldwide competition, their banking system goes haywire, it might ferment the conditions needed for them to push harder.

Not surprised that the Poles were first to object. Their position in history as pretty much a plaything caught between the various major European powers of the day make them particularly sensitive to threats, borne from centuries of experience.